Author Topic: Yes, it's that epic.  (Read 4505 times)

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
Yes, it's that epic.
« on: March 04, 2014, 06:01:20 PM »
A little link to a youtube video that I found... Before you visit, picture yourself sitting at your computer a few years ago and you offer a friend a chance to play City of Heroes... And the poor guy who never played it looks at you and says, 'No I don't think so... I don't like City of Heroes..'

This here, would likely be your reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95b1zk3qhSM

City of Heroes... Tasty Tasty.

-Lady Shin, Geeking it up
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Yes, it's that epic.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 06:42:30 PM »
good commercial.

But that is probably the thought of any fan of any game when offering to a friend.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:17:28 PM »
Nice one.  :)
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 12:59:54 AM »
You think you don't like City of Heroes?

Think about that title for a moment. Let it marinate in your heart and mind, and ask yourself... What do you know about City of Heroes?

Have you ever safely whisked away a hostage out from under your archenemy's nose?

Have you ever waged battle against an insanely powerful lowlife named Darren Wade... In space?

Have you ever experienced the triumph of defeating an alien invasion and escaping the mothership just seconds before it explodes?

Have you ever felt the victorious weight of gold... Around your waist?

Have you tasted a brownie in ancient Cimerora?

What does victory over evil feel like?

When an oppressed people chooses freedom, the sensation of that choice is the essence of justice. Because there's nothing "free" about the injustice of Fixadine.

What is X over the square root of 31? You don't know. Because you don't speak Clockwork...And you don't know what City of Heroes is.

8)

"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »
LadyShin, that was...epic. (Your post above me....)
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 07:47:10 PM »
In City of Heroes, Statesman is so powerful he could turn out the sun.

But then it gets too cold, so he makes another sun.

DOUBLE SUN HERO POWERRRRRRR!!!   :gonk:

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 06:05:55 AM »
You think you don't like City of Heroes?

Think about that title for a moment. Let it marinate in your heart and mind, and ask yourself... What do you know about City of Heroes?

Have you ever safely whisked away a hostage out from under your archenemy's nose?

Have you ever waged battle against an insanely powerful lowlife named Darren Wade... In space?

Have you ever experienced the triumph of defeating an alien invasion and escaping the mothership just seconds before it explodes?

Have you ever felt the victorious weight of gold... Around your waist?

Have you tasted a brownie in ancient Cimerora?

What does victory over evil feel like?

When an oppressed people chooses freedom, the sensation of that choice is the essence of justice. Because there's nothing "free" about the injustice of Fixadine.

What is X over the square root of 31? You don't know. Because you don't speak Clockwork...And you don't know what City of Heroes is.

8)

/em fancybow

Well said, Lady Shin!
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

pogoman

• Vox Populi
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:13:52 PM »
Um...it's tasty....tasty . I like it.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »

Tasty tasty.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 03:46:58 AM »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:51:43 AM »
 :o :o :o

I never noticed that scene.... Maybe it was a shout out to COH? Dare I hope beyond hope?

EDIT: wiki- The building was featured in the films Earth Girls Are Easy, Mars Attacks!, The Golden Child, Into the Night, Stripped to Kill, Problem Child 2, Breathless, Californication, California Girls, 2012, Iron Man 2, "Get Shorty", Volcano, Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles, Escape from Petropolis, and Love Letters. It can be seen briefly with other world-famous monuments in the Futurama episode "When Aliens Attack." It has also been featured in the music videos for Randy Newman's "I Love LA"and The Prodigy's "Wind It Up". As well as in the music video for Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Californication."Similar buildings with giant donuts, under different names, are featured in the video games Midnight Club: Los Angeles, Need for Speed: Most Wanted', City of Heroes, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas as well as in "Marge vs. the Monorail", an episode of The Simpsons.

EDIT 2: I added a reference in the wiki 'City of Heroes' page to show that it was closed against the wishes of the gaming community, with a link to the Task Force Hail Mary page.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:14:53 AM by LadyShin »

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 05:07:32 PM »
Who would have thought that putting a giant doughnut on your building would make your building famous in movies, T.V. shows, videos, and games.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 06:42:42 AM »
:o :o :o

I never noticed that scene.... Maybe it was a shout out to COH? Dare I hope beyond hope?

EDIT: wiki- The building was featured in the films Earth Girls Are Easy, Mars Attacks!, The Golden Child, Into the Night, Stripped to Kill, Problem Child 2, Breathless, Californication, California Girls, 2012, Iron Man 2, "Get Shorty", Volcano, Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles, Escape from Petropolis, and Love Letters. It can be seen briefly with other world-famous monuments in the Futurama episode "When Aliens Attack." It has also been featured in the music videos for Randy Newman's "I Love LA"and The Prodigy's "Wind It Up". As well as in the music video for Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Californication."Similar buildings with giant donuts, under different names, are featured in the video games Midnight Club: Los Angeles, Need for Speed: Most Wanted', City of Heroes, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas as well as in "Marge vs. the Monorail", an episode of The Simpsons.

EDIT 2: I added a reference in the wiki 'City of Heroes' page to show that it was closed against the wishes of the gaming community, with a link to the Task Force Hail Mary page.

It's sort of an LA landmark.  Wiki link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy%27s_Donuts

Remember when SciFi had a "Who Wants to Be a Super Hero" and a CoH player was on the show (he won if I remember correctly), they made a little B/W movie showing him doing heroic things.  One thing was flying by/through Randy's as a shout out to CoH.

I'm sure someone here remembers his name.

Edit:  Should have checked wikipedia first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defuser_%28comics%29
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 06:51:43 AM by FatherXmas »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 05:39:28 PM »
Thanks for the tasty Epic, Lady Shin!!  Also, thanks, FatherXmas, for the Defuser and Randy's Donuts links.  I'd never seen nor heard of Randy's Donut's before but that shop sure would not look out of place in Faultline! 
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine