Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7289274 times)

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #21480 on: December 31, 2015, 03:51:29 AM »
I'll never understand all the hate KB had.It's not like you had to get up from your chair and go get them. ;D

The time my blaster was kicked off a team for causing knockback, they were trying to herd groups into a tight knot and then unleash area effect weapons.  If what you were doing didn't fit into that precise mold you were Doing It Wrong.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21481 on: December 31, 2015, 04:56:49 AM »
Hm, after watching some episodes of Six Million Dollar Man I wonder what archetype/powersets would apply in game.

I'm thinking brute, as Austin was a nice guy in the series but cold blooded in the old Michael Caiden novels but he could regulate his bionic strength and adjust it in a fight, and in the second pilot movie he did have a glitch in his arm that when he got angry his arm would power surge in terms of strength.

So super strength of course....as to the armor set, well Austin was NOT indestructible by any means. There were plenty of times the arm needed to be repaired, a couple of times his legs got smashed up and needed major repair, and at least one time his eye also needed repair/replacement.  So electric and energy armor are out. Stone armor of course is out along with invulnerability. 

So I'm thinking willpower as it takes some will power and practice to control the bionics, or else super reflexes since he could move at fast speeds.

hasten also and super speed since he could run at 60mph. 
Throw in combat jumping for the bionic jumps
tactics for the bionic eye.

If you go by the Kevin Smith bionic man series based on his script treatment for a movie that wasn't approved, THEN you could put in invulnerability since the changes that were made for modern times included a level of invulnerability as he was bullet resistant even in his head and chest area.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21482 on: December 31, 2015, 05:59:20 AM »
Tanks had taunt which means the bad guys come to them.Any over the taunt cap could be taken care of by the rest of the team.I understand what some of you are saying but tanks and scrappers did not have to kill everything.If something was blasted away from the group(unless you are an all tank or scrapper team)let
others take care of it.If they die a lot they will learn faster. ;D

until you sent that silver flying into another group, or across the room agroing 2 or 3 other groups. I have seen that happen. kb suddenly becomes unpopular....

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21483 on: December 31, 2015, 06:01:32 AM »
The time my blaster was kicked off a team for causing knockback, they were trying to herd groups into a tight knot and then unleash area effect weapons.  If what you were doing didn't fit into that precise mold you were Doing It Wrong.

should 7 other players put their preferred playstyle on hold to satisfy 1 player? are you only a team player when they are following your playbook?(not singling out you, this question extends to many different places)

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #21484 on: December 31, 2015, 07:12:26 AM »
until you sent that silver flying into another group, or across the room agroing 2 or 3 other groups. I have seen that happen. kb suddenly becomes unpopular....

I get what your saying but if someone on my team did that it would just make it more fun.There were times because of repeat deaths running to fight Frostfire over and over took a very long time.Unless you solo
you are going to have to adjust and make allowances for many different people.I know that some people
try to intentionally mess up a mission but you also have to keep in mind that you may be playing with young kids or those with limited mobility.
I had limited play time during the week and taking extra time on missions meant that I missed other stuff
but we as COH players represented the game each time we played with others.For some it was their first
game or maybe their first MMO.As long as they are not being rude and demeaning try to work with them.
Each positive and fun game experience they have means they will play longer and spend money which
helps the game.Sorry for the rant.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #21485 on: December 31, 2015, 07:32:32 AM »
I think a lot of the problems with team dynamics was communication. Everyone's different and when your in a PUG where no one communicates. Then no two members of that team, knows the goal of a given mission. Maybe 55% of the team wants to speed run. While 35% wants to sweep rooms and then the other 10% wants chaos?

The most effective teams for me personally, where the ones where the group leader would send a tell. Saying something like "Hey, we're doing some council mission in PI at +4, tank is lead follow their directions and listen for the healer to call buffs."

I Accept and enter the mission. Tank says "Pulling room to this corner." Everyone stands back, waits for the tank to pull then go to the corner, mobs pile on the tank. Tank taunts and everyone unloads. KB, not a problem if it's aimed right cause the mobs are in a corner.

Or, Team lead sends a tell "Hey, we're doing a TF we're going to speed run where we can. We'll let you know when, the rest we'll clear."

I don't know, maybe it's just me but if what the team leader was saying. Wasn't what I felt like doing at the time. I'd decline or if I wasn't sure what the goal of the group was, I'd ask.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21486 on: December 31, 2015, 08:40:24 AM »
I heard it was because many scrapper types had a target locked and auto run to target on. That meant after the bad guy was scattered, they automatically started running toward where they got KB'd to.

If I thought someone was doing that, I'd probably deliberately try to knock foes off of the edge of cliffs.  Oopsie.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21487 on: December 31, 2015, 08:42:44 AM »
I tried making a perma Blaze built that was functional for my Mind/Fire, but couldn't do even with 221.25% Rech. The best I got to functional was 2.92 seconds with a 1 second cast time. Although I did get flare perma with a recharge of .82 sec with a cast time of 1 second.

Edit: forgot to turn on the Paragon Agility Flares was .75 sec rech and Blaze was 2.73 seconds. Still not 1 seconds for Blaze, but still slightly faster xD

Just for the record, I was kidding about perma-power bolt: you can't really perma-cycle attacks because even ignoring animation rooting, powers don't start recharging until their cast time expires.  So something with 1 second of cast and 1 second of recharge is firing 50% of the time, not 100% of the time.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21488 on: December 31, 2015, 08:45:37 AM »
Who here was hoping that the INCARNATE stuff would have been the ability to unlock more Slots for your powers...either more that you could get to 6 slotted or even the ability to make a few of them 7 slots?!? Would have loved to see what people did with 6 slots in EVERY power they had. Builds would have been nuts.

I wasn't.  Lots of people suggested it, but to me that was one of the most boring possibilities I could think of.  Technically, Alpha already did that to some degree.  I can think of all sorts of more interesting options for the higher Incarnate powers than just granting a couple of slots.

Edit: let me amplify.  If you could make the powers in any of the higher incarnate tiers *without* modifying the game engine from I24, I think you're not trying hard enough.  Those powers should have been interesting enough and original enough to actually require new engine mechanics of some kind.  If the game could already do it, why bother.  If you think about it, three of the six incarnate trees that existed in I23 required some form of new game mechanics to make work: Alpha, Hybrid, and Interface all do things that other abilities couldn't do prior to the introduction of incarnate powers (although in a broad sense some of what Hybrid does is similar mechanically to what interface does).  Meanwhile Destiny, Judgment, and Lore all grant in effect extremely powerful versions of "normal" powers: super strong buff, super strong AoE, and pets. 

I really hoped and expected that the higher tiers would continue the trend from Alpha (sort of a super-slot) through Destiny, Judgment, and Lore, and through Hybrid and Interface, to other more exceptional abilities.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21489 on: December 31, 2015, 08:51:42 AM »
Hm, after watching some episodes of Six Million Dollar Man I wonder what archetype/powersets would apply in game.

I'm thinking brute, as Austin was a nice guy in the series but cold blooded in the old Michael Caiden novels but he could regulate his bionic strength and adjust it in a fight, and in the second pilot movie he did have a glitch in his arm that when he got angry his arm would power surge in terms of strength.

So super strength of course....as to the armor set, well Austin was NOT indestructible by any means. There were plenty of times the arm needed to be repaired, a couple of times his legs got smashed up and needed major repair, and at least one time his eye also needed repair/replacement.  So electric and energy armor are out. Stone armor of course is out along with invulnerability. 

So I'm thinking willpower as it takes some will power and practice to control the bionics, or else super reflexes since he could move at fast speeds.

hasten also and super speed since he could run at 60mph. 
Throw in combat jumping for the bionic jumps
tactics for the bionic eye.

If you go by the Kevin Smith bionic man series based on his script treatment for a movie that wasn't approved, THEN you could put in invulnerability since the changes that were made for modern times included a level of invulnerability as he was bullet resistant even in his head and chest area.

If we're talking about the actual original television series, Steve Austin is actually a blapper.  Sure his bionic limbs are much more difficult to break than normal limbs, but fundamentally speaking he's no more difficult to kill than any other person *except* for his bionic abilities putting attackers down before they could hurt him.

Alternatively, he's the worlds worst Invuln/SS tanker: hand him only RPD from his primary, and nothing else, and then load him up on SS attacks and power pool powers.

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #21490 on: December 31, 2015, 08:53:58 AM »
I wasn't.  Lots of people suggested it, but to me that was one of the most boring possibilities I could think of.  Technically, Alpha already did that to some degree.  I can think of all sorts of more interesting options for the higher Incarnate powers than just granting a couple of slots.

Did the devs give any info about their plans for Genesis/Stance/Vitae/Omega?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21491 on: December 31, 2015, 09:03:10 AM »
Just for the record, I was kidding about perma-power bolt: you can't really perma-cycle attacks because even ignoring animation rooting, powers don't start recharging until their cast time expires.  So something with 1 second of cast and 1 second of recharge is firing 50% of the time, not 100% of the time.

Well you're gonna need some gaps for hasten, boost range, aim, build up,  and aoes anyway.  So not technically perma but definitely still ridiculous.

etnies445

• Underling
« Reply #21492 on: December 31, 2015, 09:09:01 AM »
It feels so weird seeing the community still hoping and not being able to bring CoH back. It's been over 3 years now and I regret so much those last few months before the close, that I should have spent less time avoiding the game and more playing it. If I knew how much i'd miss it after it closed I definitely would have.

I would also like to say, it would be nice to get even like quarterly updates if possible, even if they're just saying "Things are still moving along."

I understand no news is good news still, but without hearing -anything- people start to lose hope. And I feel like 4 updates a year can't be that hard to manage.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:16:40 AM by etnies445 »

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21493 on: December 31, 2015, 09:23:01 AM »
The wikipedia entry for non-disclosure agreement was updated 7 hours ago if that helps.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21494 on: December 31, 2015, 09:30:23 AM »

I know this, its just nice to see an attack power ready to use when your still in animation. Although legitimately tried to get Blaze down to the lowest feasible point so in PvP all I needed was two attacks (Dominate (for the hold and 113 Psi dmg every 1.96 seconds) and Blaze (519.5 dmg every 2.73 seconds)) Unfortunately the build I came up with to make this happen works well in PvE, but will get murdered in PvP

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21495 on: December 31, 2015, 09:31:51 AM »
Did the devs give any info about their plans for Genesis/Stance/Vitae/Omega?

As far as I'm aware, even they were not sure.  See, high profile stuff like that generally got worked on through discussion and went through many hands.  Positron would have had a say both being a lead and having a lot of say on all things Incarnate.  Black Scorpion was the head of the powers team as of shutdown and would have also had some say.  Other powers devs like Arbiter Hawk would have almost certainly also had some input.  I think everyone had some ideas, but who knows what would have come out of the room on the day those were actually kicked around for real.  I don't think the next set of Incarnate powers was actually on the schedule yet, so you're talking about at least I26 or I27 when we'd be seeing those. 

In fact, I have a suspicion (which is purely speculative on my part) that the devs were trying to hold off on opening the next set of incarnate branches until the Battalion story line was resolved.  I think out of that story line was a vague idea of leading to Ascendancy, and it makes some sense that the higher Incarnate powers would have some relationship to Ascendancy.  Either as a key to Ascendancy, or having power levels that put us on the same par with Ascendant foes.

I do have a pet peeve about Incarnate powers.  I really wish the incarnate trees actually made sense as progression trees, and the names of things were not just word salad.  I wish emphasis on the "core" trees focused increasing strength in the primary ability while "radial" focused on increasing diversity in supporting abilities.  I wish Total Core was stronger than the base power in the primary ability, and Total Core Whatever was even stronger, and Core SuperDuperWhatever was even stronger, and there was an actual difference between "Total" and "Partial" that had something to do with "total" and "partial."  I really wish the devs cared more about what they called things in general.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21496 on: December 31, 2015, 09:33:20 AM »
So not technically perma but definitely still ridiculous.

"Ridiculous" is why God invented Mids.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21497 on: December 31, 2015, 09:47:42 AM »
I know this, its just nice to see an attack power ready to use when your still in animation.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, but if its what I think it is a power could only recharge while it was animating if its cast time was set to be dramatically lower than its animation run time.  In other words, if a power has a cast time of 1.0 seconds it won't even start recharging until 1.0 seconds after activation.  If the animation run time is the same as the cast time, in this case 1.0 seconds, the power cannot recharge while its still animating because it won't even start recharging until the animation is completed.

To put it another way, a power with 3 seconds of cast time and 1 second of recharge time can only be used once every *four* seconds, not three seconds.  Recharge starts after cast time finishes.  The game client enforced this, so barring lag effects that could desynchronize the client from the game server, the button for an attack can't show ready during the animation for that same attack.  In fact, the button should show itself to be continuously depressed during the cast time of the attack, and only start the recharge clock animation after that expires.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21498 on: December 31, 2015, 10:05:04 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, but if its what I think it is a power could only recharge while it was animating if its cast time was set to be dramatically lower than its animation run time.  In other words, if a power has a cast time of 1.0 seconds it won't even start recharging until 1.0 seconds after activation.  If the animation run time is the same as the cast time, in this case 1.0 seconds, the power cannot recharge while its still animating because it won't even start recharging until the animation is completed.

To put it another way, a power with 3 seconds of cast time and 1 second of recharge time can only be used once every *four* seconds, not three seconds.  Recharge starts after cast time finishes.  The game client enforced this, so barring lag effects that could desynchronize the client from the game server, the button for an attack can't show ready during the animation for that same attack.  In fact, the button should show itself to be continuously depressed during the cast time of the attack, and only start the recharge clock animation after that expires.

Weird, I remember trying to make an ultimate procer using Neutrino Bolt because it had a 1.5 second recharge base, 1 second CD (I believe this attack was the quickest recharge to animation), and made a have global rech build for it. I remember seeing the animation play out while the power itself would be fully recharged on the tail of the animation. Was Neutrino Bolt just a special case where it did have a delay like you stated, but the window is so small it seems like the power would insta recharge? From that I assumed all attacks worked in a similar fashion where if the rech was faster than the animation, you can catch it on the tail end.

Edit: I recreated it to the best of my memory. Neutrino Bolt  was at .31 sec rech with 1 second cast time
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:33:53 AM by MM3squints »

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21499 on: December 31, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »

I ran an all human PB and never had massive endurance issues. And I never had the shields. Most massive endurance issues I have seen people have is because they dont slot end reduction into their attacks.
Must have been. I know I put endurance mods on the active defense powers. I guess I just suck.