Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7285576 times)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #25100 on: July 01, 2016, 02:55:03 AM »
I don't understand the logic in having to stay quiet if it failed. Someone mind explaining it to me? I'd understand not going into details but just a simple the deal is dead I'd be happy with so we know.

If you sign a contract saying you won't speak about the deal for an undisclosed amount of time and then you go against that contract there is consequences.  I don't expect Nate and his team to put not only their butt's on the line but also their reputation for us.  If you break NDAs it reflects very poorly on your ability to keep a secret, and it makes people in the future cautious of working with you best case scenario.  I am not sure what the worst case scenario is, and I don't want them to find out.

Nate's group is no longer engaged in negotiations. The NDA required they stay quiet in the case of failure.

Source: Someone who knows Nate, but didn't play the game.

Well with a name like that its gotta be true :)  I wouldn't be shocked by this outcome honestly, its more believable then NCSoft has been trolling us the whole time.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25101 on: July 01, 2016, 05:53:20 AM »
Oh troll who just registered to say the negotiations ended in his first post....I'll believe you when......

...Bethesda releases a game that I can respectfully say is legitimately hard for the right reasons and is 100% bug free on release day.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #25102 on: July 01, 2016, 06:26:31 AM »
Okay, I'm going to be equally fair here and mention that Nate Downes claims to be the ONLY member of both City of Titans and Team Hail Mary who is directly involved and in-the-know about the CoX rez/IP lease attempt that began over 2 1/2 years ago.  So this City of Titans "Creator" person, while well-intentioned, likely does not know any more about the current state of that deal than we do.  He may just be repeating back the same "glacial but still trying" mantra we've been hearing for over two years now.

So while whistleblower5 most likely has no idea what's really going on, "Creator " at City of Titans probably doesn't really know any current details either.  Moreover, at the City of Titans camp, they're quite tied up in making their own game, around their families and jobs to boot.

I wouldn't get any hopes up or down too far in either direction.
Missing Worlds Media is the "creator" of the Kickstarter project for The Phoenix Project.  Creator is a role on that site.

Nate Downes is an employee of MWM, so if they said something about Nate Downes it would be more authoritative than if it came from whistleblower5, or even myself for that manner, but they said that the Discussions are completely separate of City of Titans Development so I wouldn't expect the result announcement concerning the talks to land there (especially when Nate has an account here and can do it himself).
Tahquitz is spot on, but to extrapolate a bit:

Or, more likely, seeing as Update #169 was a very technical update as opposed to a Lore Update (of which MWM/CoT tends to alternate or at the very least rotate regularly, and {if Update=Lore} is done by the Lore writers, conversely {if Update=Tech} is done by either Nate or Warcabbit) one could surmise that the responses were written by the author of the update - this update being a Tech update would be responded to by Nate and/or Warcabbit. While we can't assume Warcabbit is part of "The Group" and it would be folly to do so, based on the language of the response one could easily deduce that the author of said response is at the very least in the know, if not the proverbial "horse's mouth" himself.

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #25103 on: July 01, 2016, 06:39:31 AM »
If you sign a contract saying you won't speak about the deal for an undisclosed amount of time and then you go against that contract there is consequences.  I don't expect Nate and his team to put not only their butt's on the line but also their reputation for us.  If you break NDAs it reflects very poorly on your ability to keep a secret, and it makes people in the future cautious of working with you best case scenario.  I am not sure what the worst case scenario is, and I don't want them to find out.

While I would not want to put myself in the position to find out elsewise, I would think that there's a way to say that negotiations have failed without mentioning a) the product, b) the negotiations explicitly, and c) the companies involved. Something along the lines of:
"After careful consideration, I feel the best use of my time, at this stage of development, is to concentrate solely on making CoT be the best it can be. As such, I will be devoting 100% of my available time to delivering a finished product all of our Kickstarter backers can be proud of."

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #25104 on: July 01, 2016, 11:36:54 AM »
Mothra is on the loose! Run for the hills! Call Godzilla (or Gojira, whatever)! Run!!!11fordfocus!!!!1!
pfft , everybody knows that Mothra was a glass cannon. It was the two Mothra-larvae that took out Godzilla.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25105 on: July 01, 2016, 05:50:30 PM »
pfft , everybody knows that Mothra was a glass cannon. It was the two Mothra-larvae that took out Godzilla.

i24 Mothra would have been something though.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #25106 on: July 01, 2016, 07:52:29 PM »
I wonder what that insta-snipe would've been like...

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #25107 on: July 01, 2016, 07:55:07 PM »
Nate's group is no longer engaged in negotiations. The NDA required they stay quiet in the case of failure.

Source: Someone who knows Nate, but didn't play the game.

Why don't you....

Take a good look around....

and then notice that tiny little globe under my avatar....

Go buy my toys!

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25108 on: July 02, 2016, 02:09:42 AM »
I looked for that quote(from Nate) on the COT forums and could not find it.  anyone have a link

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #25109 on: July 02, 2016, 03:02:52 AM »
I looked for that quote(from Nate) on the COT forums and could not find it.  anyone have a link
look at the comments, it is from the staff, it does not say one way or another if it was from Nate or someone else. However, here is the link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans/posts/1598257#comments
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25110 on: July 03, 2016, 03:14:36 PM »
From an IRC chat:

[08:12:32] <irc-person> just woke up from a dream where i brought city of heroes back from the void through an occult ritual that involved me kissing a nude kristin chenoweth while a big muscular demon gesticulated and recited words

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST, FOLKS

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #25111 on: July 03, 2016, 05:21:18 PM »
Missing Worlds Media is the "creator" of the Kickstarter project for The Phoenix Project.  Creator is a role on that site.

Nate Downes is an employee of MWM, so if they said something about Nate Downes it would be more authoritative than if it came from whistleblower5, or even myself for that manner, but they said that the Discussions are completely separate of City of Titans Development so I wouldn't expect the result announcement concerning the talks to land there (especially when Nate has an account here and can do it himself).

Yes. I second this.

Also, I would like to point out that Nate HAS spoken on the then-current state of these negotiations before. He has made comments here-and-there over the past year or so stating that the 'talks' are still on going. Just off the top of my head, the most recent example I can think of was back in May 2015 when Nate posted in the comment section of a topic thread (probs about COT) on Massively:

From Massively Overpowered:

NathanielDownes
@Domesticon - I've talked to a few people within NCSoft, and the general consensus is that we've avoided any trouble thanks to our approach (inspiration, not duplication). There is a group negotiating with them for the rights to the IP, but that has been slow going due to the ongoing Nexon drama I've been led to understand

So, it's reasonable to suspect that whomever the 'Creator' user is over in MWM may have been given that update directly from Nate himself, or may just be privy to said information because a.) the two of them are obviously in more constant/consistent communication with each other than any of us are with Nate Downes, and b.) it's very apparent that Nate is at least willing to confirm to other third parties that the talks are still on-going. Also, this was a big reason why I was so pumped that the Nexon thing fell through - if Nexon would have succeeded in their buyout, then that would have REALLY put a damper on things.

Now, I will say - I do think Nate is no longer involved with the negotiations DIRECTLY. However, I do suspect that he is still in touch with the other individual 'business partners' - whom are most likely under the same NDA he is, or perhaps under a different one to a varying degree - so he can continue to remain privy to inside information. Ergo, I absolutely think that he would know if the negotiations were no longer happening. And I think we would all be made aware if the deal fell through - if not by Nate directly, then by someone else whom at that time would decide to reveal themselves publicly.

...But yeah. The waiting game is pretty brutal. Like, holy hell...November 2012. It is now July 2016. I can't believe it's been this long.
Viva la Virtue!

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #25112 on: July 05, 2016, 12:36:29 AM »
Wow, things went dead suddenly. . .

Happy Birthday USA!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25113 on: July 05, 2016, 01:20:31 AM »
Typical holiday weekend.  People tend to prioritize family, food and fireworks over conjecture, hyperbole, and "So, I've been playing this lately, how about you?"

I wouldn't worry.  Same thing will happen on Labor Day to a lesser extent.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25114 on: July 05, 2016, 05:35:33 AM »
Priorities:
  • Food
  • Family
  • Fireworks
  • Parties
  • Kittens
  • TV Shows
  • Titan Forums (Forum Games)
  • Titan Forums (Roleplaying)
  • Titan Forums (New Efforts)

Psycout

• Underling
« Reply #25115 on: July 05, 2016, 06:40:46 PM »
Man it seems that everything COH related is progressing at a glacial pace.  The City of Titans update yesterday showed that they aren't even done with one zone after 2+ years of work.  I'm anticipating that beta won't be open till at least late 2017 at this rate.  I was really hoping to get to play COH or COT before I start grad school but I'm losing hope as each day passes.  If we do hear an announcement that the COH IP has been successfully purchased, does anyone have an estimate on how long it would take after hearing the announcement to be able to play the fully functioning game?     

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25116 on: July 05, 2016, 06:45:33 PM »
On the bright side there's still time for you to rethink grad school  ;)

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #25117 on: July 05, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »
Man it seems that everything COH related is progressing at a glacial pace.  The City of Titans update yesterday showed that they aren't even done with one zone after 2+ years of work.  I'm anticipating that beta won't be open till at least late 2017 at this rate.  I was really hoping to get to play COH or COT before I start grad school but I'm losing hope as each day passes.  If we do hear an announcement that the COH IP has been successfully purchased, does anyone have an estimate on how long it would take after hearing the announcement to be able to play the fully functioning game?   

Hmm, yes excuse me but the new CoT video looked really crap if I may say so. Looks like it is lightyears away from anything playable.

So, enjoy some good games out there like division, Diablo 2, the new "inside" .... :)

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #25118 on: July 05, 2016, 07:24:29 PM »

City of Heroes was in development so long that I had time to hear about it, bookmark the webpage showing off the initial concepts, discuss the idea eagerly with my friends, and then completely forget about it until the game came out years later. These things take time. Lots more time than people generally assume it would.

Psycout

• Underling
« Reply #25119 on: July 05, 2016, 08:03:07 PM »
City of Heroes was in development so long that I had time to hear about it, bookmark the webpage showing off the initial concepts, discuss the idea eagerly with my friends, and then completely forget about it until the game came out years later. These things take time. Lots more time than people generally assume it would.

CoH was in development for about 4 years before the public could play it.  CoT is at 2.5 years of development with about 5-10% done by the looks of it.  Champions Online took less time to develop than CoH did as well among many other games. I know that CoT is a volunteer project which means it will take more time but they raised plenty of money in their kickstart and could hire some professionals to help them with development.  They also announced late last year that they would open another funding opportunity but it seems that they have forgot about that for the last 6+ months.  I need to see some real progress in either the negotiations or a successor project or else I will go insane... possibly already have.