Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7272753 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #26300 on: December 01, 2016, 03:21:06 AM »
Just because accompany does not post anything does not mean something caused them to stop.

Not the same situation, but I could predict with reasonable accuracy when the next major update or release of City of Heroes was going to go to beta by making note of when the dev team went dark.  If they basically stopped posting and stopped responding to my PMs, we were about three to six weeks from a major release, or about two to four weeks from a smaller update.  It happened almost always like clockwork.

There's no way to extrapolate timing to any other developer team, but it isn't unreasonable to assume there will be periods when they go dark because they are deep into crunchtime development for some internal milestone or other.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26301 on: December 01, 2016, 04:04:08 AM »
So, how many years does this make, now, since the servers went down?

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26302 on: December 01, 2016, 04:14:56 AM »
So, how many years does this make, now, since the servers went down?

The servers went down over 12 years ago.
The question is how long has it been since the last time server came back up.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26303 on: December 02, 2016, 05:09:03 AM »
As of my prior post, I was at 483 posts, and Paragon Avenger was at 4,830.

Funny.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26304 on: December 02, 2016, 07:30:22 AM »

Funny.

And now we're going to have to wait ten Paragon Avenger posts before it becomes funny again.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26305 on: December 02, 2016, 08:00:26 AM »
So we'll pencil it in for funny in a couple hours :P

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26306 on: December 03, 2016, 01:10:53 AM »
So we'll pencil it in for funny in a couple hours :P

Hmmm. Ya I think I fit that in right between binge watching TV, and the self loathing induced from 6 hours of it.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26307 on: December 03, 2016, 05:22:05 AM »
And now we're going to have to wait ten Paragon Avenger posts before it becomes funny again.

The pressure.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26308 on: December 03, 2016, 05:31:31 AM »

Wait a minute, I've never been funny before, why should I start now?

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26309 on: December 03, 2016, 06:34:22 AM »
Breaking news? Yes, actually it was/is. Until the recent announcement, no estimated release date was out there. So **BREAKING NEWS: CoT Team Announces Estimated Release Date*** is apropos.

Exciting/relevant/noteworthy news? That's a different story and open to interpretation on an individual basis. Some may get excited, others indifferent, others...you get the point.

I'd argue that "breaking" implies exciting/relevant/noteworthy.  Announcement of a release date 2 years hence which could easily end up delayed under a variety of circumstances?  That merits a ticker crawl, or a chyron at best, not an immediate interruption followed by 80 hours of analysis over the next week.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26310 on: December 03, 2016, 06:42:48 AM »
I ate at a sports bar this evening which had a ticker running outside. It informed me of the breaking news that the Orioles beat the Twins 4-2. So, y'know, sliding scale.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #26311 on: December 03, 2016, 04:14:10 PM »
I'd argue that "breaking" implies exciting/relevant/noteworthy.  Announcement of a release date 2 years hence which could easily end up delayed under a variety of circumstances?  That merits a ticker crawl, or a chyron at best, not an immediate interruption followed by 80 hours of analysis over the next week.
So you're saying it should be the centaur of attention?
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26312 on: December 04, 2016, 01:20:15 AM »

Funny.

And right now on my screen you are 484 to PA's 4,840.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26313 on: December 04, 2016, 04:02:52 AM »

Haha like that wil.....

And right now on my screen you are 484 to PA's 4,840.

Oh snap it is

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26314 on: December 04, 2016, 03:54:50 PM »

We don't hire dirty centaurs.

(Chyron, not Chiron.)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #26315 on: December 05, 2016, 01:49:05 AM »
We don't hire dirty centaurs.

(Chyron, not Chiron.)
i knew that once a pun a time.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26316 on: December 06, 2016, 04:29:18 AM »

This pun angers me.  Mostly because I didn't think of it first.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26317 on: December 07, 2016, 12:03:55 AM »
Inexplicable MMO complaint of the day:

"It's not luck, i[t]s a game of chance."

- Complaint by a player who felt that the fact that he did not get any of the rare rewards from a game event meant he did not get any luck, so the game developer should compensate him for failing to give him any luck.

Yes, you heard me right.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26318 on: December 07, 2016, 12:33:04 AM »
Inexplicable MMO complaint of the day:

"It's not luck, i[t]s a game of chance."

- Complaint by a player who felt that the fact that he did not get any of the rare rewards from a game event meant he did not get any luck, so the game developer should compensate him for failing to give him any luck.

Yes, you heard me right.

Well, you have players who use words like "adds" in place of ambush, summons, reinforcements ect that have little clue how foolish it actually sounds used that way.  Or depend on the AI being very, very stupid(otherwise the ai wouldn't fall for the holy trinity entirely dependant on bad AI), or entirely reliant on one strategy playing games that try to shove that one strategy and then claiming mmorpgs require more strategy than any other genre(in reality games demanding only one strategy actually have no strategy in them).

Not...really surprising for me.  Its why i say coh players arent quite like other mmorpg players.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26319 on: December 07, 2016, 12:53:42 AM »
Well, you have players who use words like "adds" in place of ambush, summons, reinforcements ect that have little clue how foolish it actually sounds used that way.  Or depend on the AI being very, very stupid(otherwise the ai wouldn't fall for the holy trinity entirely dependant on bad AI), or entirely reliant on one strategy playing games that try to shove that one strategy and then claiming mmorpgs require more strategy than any other genre(in reality games demanding only one strategy actually have no strategy in them).

Not...really surprising for me.  Its why i say coh players arent quite like other mmorpg players.

Adds is because of how easy it is type mid battle before people were using things like Vent or TS, that's why is has been around since the birth of MMO's.  Its the lingo of the MMO world so naturally it is going to spread.  I sure as hell am not going to stop mid battle so I can type out "Oh no!  Everyone be aware reinforcements are coming" when "adds" suits just fine as more enemies have been "added" to the battle.  Especially in older MMO's like EQ when someone trains a butt-ton of enemies through the dungeon and you get jumped by a dungeon worth of enemies.  Its amazing people were able to even get "adds" out.

I don't see how adds is anyway related to a person who thinks they should be compensated for their bad luck.  One is entitlement because RNG hates them,  while the other is short, simple, off hand lingo used to quickly indicate more enemies are here to rumble without interrupting the flow of battle.