Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212413 times)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27380 on: April 22, 2017, 05:58:13 AM »
And added two letters ;)

Actually, City of Titans and City of Heroes have the exact same number of letters, as does Ship of Heroes.

Unless, of course, you're referring to the short lived City of Hero that was released in the Asian market. I don't count that one though.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27381 on: April 22, 2017, 06:21:53 AM »
Actually, City of Titans and City of Heroes have the exact same number of letters, as does Ship of Heroes.

Unless, of course, you're referring to the short lived City of Hero that was released in the Asian market. I don't count that one though.
heeeerrrrooooooo

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27382 on: April 23, 2017, 01:27:34 AM »
If I understand the most-recent on-topic posts in this thread, the New Efforts have failed. If that's the case, will the last person out please update the "Wake Me" thread accordingly, end this one, and shut off the lights?
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27383 on: April 23, 2017, 02:10:20 AM »
If I understand the most-recent on-topic posts in this thread, the New Efforts have failed. If that's the case, will the last person out please update the "Wake Me" thread accordingly, end this one, and shut off the lights?

How dare you begrudge us lights for our yammering >:O

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #27384 on: April 23, 2017, 09:21:53 AM »
Actually, far as I know, the New Efforts have NOT failed, it's more so because of the lack of news for what? nearly 3 years now? something like that? that everyone believes that the New Efforts have indeed failed, when in reality, there's been no such confirmation of any sort suggesting that it's even close to failing as those involved in the Deal to get CoH/CoV back up & running again are under an NDA. (If anyone has any information related to the Deal, the NDA or even the Team that counters the above, please do share it if possible/allowed.)
Granted, as I recall someone pointing out way back when, the team could be under an NDA that explicitly outlines what can and can't be said, to the point of not allowing the team to break the news of Deal not happening, but in the same vein, I also recall there be talking of at least one person who would end up spilling the beans even if the team were under such an NDA.

I, for one, am still holding out hope for the day that we get to be back in CoH/CoV... Call me Naive, Optimistic or what have you, I won't deny it.

Stitchified

• Boss
« Reply #27385 on: April 23, 2017, 09:34:56 AM »
In fact, there's a very good reason to consider the possibility that not only is the current success of the superhero genre not an indicator of how well superhero based games would be, but actually a *counter-indicator*.  The very success of the genre of superhero movies is primarily due to the ability for them to draw in non-genre followers.  Basically, people who otherwise don't care about superheroes in other media.  More people watched the second Ghost Rider than read any comic book of any kind about any topic.  That's how huge that market is.  The billions of dollars that superhero movies and television are making is coming from people who may not have any other connection to superheroes, and by extension may have absolutely no interest in playing a superhero-themed game.
Okay, first things first, I didn't copy your entire response as I understood the first and last parts, but I didn't quite understand what you meant by this second part. Lemme see if I can make sense of it, what you're saying is that ultimately, superhero movies aren't actually drawing people to be interested in superheroes unless they're in movies right? So, like, for example, say, I've never played or seen CoH/CoV (but I've heard of it), the chances of me actually trying out CoH/CoV after watching twenty superhero movies would stay the same as the chances of me actually trying out CoH/CoV after not watching a single superhero movie. Is that pretty much what you were going for?
(I do apologize if I'm asking what might be an obvious question for everyone else, I actually have Aspergers Syndrome, which for me, it causes a lack of understanding of social cues, along with a lack of understanding when it comes to certain aspects of a conversation, this being one such aspect, there's other things involving Aspergers Syndrome that I suffer from, but that's another topic for another day.)

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27386 on: April 23, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »

when were the lights ever on?  Been pretty dark for last 4 years...

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #27387 on: April 23, 2017, 03:23:09 PM »
Actually, far as I know, the New Efforts have NOT failed, it's more so because of the lack of news for what? nearly 3 years now? something like that? that everyone believes that the New Efforts have indeed failed, when in reality, there's been no such confirmation of any sort suggesting that it's even close to failing as those involved in the Deal to get CoH/CoV back up & running again are under an NDA. (If anyone has any information related to the Deal, the NDA or even the Team that counters the above, please do share it if possible/allowed.)
Granted, as I recall someone pointing out way back when, the team could be under an NDA that explicitly outlines what can and can't be said, to the point of not allowing the team to break the news of Deal not happening, but in the same vein, I also recall there be talking of at least one person who would end up spilling the beans even if the team were under such an NDA.

I, for one, am still holding out hope for the day that we get to be back in CoH/CoV... Call me Naive, Optimistic or what have you, I won't deny it.
Pretty much this. There's actually been no news at all from the team negotiating for the IP, but the lack of any news after three years is being taken as proof that the deal fell through. In actuality multi-million business deals can take five years or more, but it's also true that the value of the game and IP decreases a bit every year as memories and emotional attachments fade and newer, shinier games get released. Especially as there are several games with similar themes/designs in development that get closer to release with every passing month.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #27388 on: April 23, 2017, 04:24:46 PM »
I suppose the bottom line for me is, I would play the hell out of this game if it ever became available again.  However, the concept of "strike while the iron is hot" is one that the Korean business model does not recognize.  So, the more time that goes by, the less folks like me there will be if the deal actually succeeds.  No matter what the reasons are for what is going on, I believe that the potential market will be much smaller than it would have been, had the deal been made sooner than later.  If one were to follow that thought to its logical conclusion, the question becomes - Why bother to put out a dated game that is almost certain to fail financially due to lack of interest?  I hope I am wrong, but the easy answer is, in all likelihood...they won't. 

Now, if there were some kind of KickStarter campaign that was able to achieve sufficient fundraising to make it a worthwhile venture, at least initially, then perhaps we have a shot.  Outside of that, it is pretty easy to feel that each month that goes by sees more potential players who hung on as long as they could, fall away.  Those of us "hard core" believers who are left won't be enough to keep the lights on all by ourselves.
What was no more, is now reborn!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27389 on: April 23, 2017, 04:35:44 PM »
Pretty much this. There's actually been no news at all from the team negotiating for the IP, but the lack of any news after three years is being taken as proof that the deal fell through. In actuality multi-million business deals can take five years or more, but it's also true that the value of the game and IP decreases a bit every year as memories and emotional attachments fade and newer, shinier games get released. Especially as there are several games with similar themes/designs in development that get closer to release with every passing month.

Thats kind of my hope as well, although I am more banking on the successors now(heck I think it's a good thing the whole statesman issue came up, since it's made me want to pitch in more for the successors again).  I feel that many have shown likewise a "Right nao" attitude with the successors, displaying zero patience for some reason or another.  People need to understand the value of patience in this, as turning to a "RIGHT NAO!" attitude can also turn any experience sour once it's finally delivered, even more-so if it's delivered to soon.  People have to remember with the successors; "A deleyed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad", words spoken by Shigeru Miyamoto.  It's 100% true, although I've also seen deleyed games turn into crap(see duke nukem forever, but thats also due to developer change which is also a deadly move).

The same could apply to the deal to, we all want it to succeed, but if it was rushed would we really want a CoH that could be shut down again, that also came with a deal that say gave city of titans to NCSoft in some form so they could shut that down?  None of us want anything like that.  We already had two tragedies regarding super hero mmorpgs(CoH, CO's failure to fill the gap), we don't need a third.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Stitchified

• Boss
« Reply #27390 on: April 23, 2017, 10:23:57 PM »
Truth be told, I was rather impatient about the deal succeeding and what not at first, but overtime, I realized that business deals tend to take quite awhile, and despite my immense dislike of NCsoft (and the turtle pace they seem to have about anything and everything), I know that it'll be awhile before I see any real news of the deal, much to my dismay. Course, as I said in my post above, I still hold out hope that CoH/CoV will come back, thus I'm content to wait for the time being.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27391 on: April 23, 2017, 11:54:32 PM »
I still hold out hope that CoH/CoV will come back, thus I'm content to wait for the time being.

You still have some hope left in you...? hmph Well...I hope you're right at some point..... We're still waiting on Nate's statement on the deal rather it's still on going or not but, who knows.....

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27392 on: April 24, 2017, 12:17:07 AM »
you mean apart from his statement that's he's not been involved with the deal since introducing the parties?

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27393 on: April 24, 2017, 12:43:57 AM »
Or the less official "that's all folks"?

Or was it, "it was a long shot anyway..."?

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27394 on: April 24, 2017, 12:51:56 AM »
 There never was much hope, he answered. Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Surelle

« Reply #27395 on: April 24, 2017, 01:30:21 AM »
There never was much hope, he answered. Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.

Not to mention that NCSoft greenlighted the creation of Statesman/Tyrant and his being put into Master X Master in 2014, which is when the group Nate introduced to an NCSoft contact was supposedly trying to lease the CoX IP and get a backup of the shutdown server to rez it in zombie mode.  It's pretty obvious no one at NCSoft was taking that too seriously, or they wouldn't have risked muddying the waters of the deal by using Statesman in their own project.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27396 on: April 24, 2017, 01:45:51 AM »

All hope is fool's hope, there is nothing wrong with being a fool sometimes though.  When you have two options 1) Hope or 2) Don't hope it seems like a pretty clear choice.  Hoping isn't the issues, it's not moving on to some degree that is the problem.  You can move on and still have hope.  As of this moment right now CoH is gone, that just the way it is.  But maybe one day it will be back.  I accept its gone and I hope it will be back

Considering how much permanent loss there is in their world, I'd say even a slim chance is better than none.  It's a rare thing to have even a slim chance of regaining something lost.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27397 on: April 24, 2017, 03:30:42 AM »
Or the less official "that's all folks"?

Or was it, "it was a long shot anyway..."?
TBH if the NDA is THAT draconian to the point they STILL are not allowed to say I do not see how NC didn't breach it somewhere with the MXM move. How can they be negotiating the sale of an asset they have long term plans for? It implies there is no good faith.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27398 on: April 24, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
It implies there is no good faith.

Well this is the company that tried to give Richard Garriott the business as the old saying goes....
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27399 on: April 24, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
Why does everyone feel that the appearance of Statesman in MxM is a sure sign of the deal being dead?  I though the "deal" was more a licensing deal rather than a direct purchase of the IP.  If that's the case, can't characters be licensed to multiple different companies?

I just feel that if the deal was truly-100%-No Hope "dead", someone would have leaked it.