Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210559 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27440 on: April 27, 2017, 06:57:03 PM »
In all seriousness, I felt my overall morale in life sink sharply and never recover with the loss of CoH and nothing to fill that gap properly.  I've felt more depressed with life as a whole and given everything going on in the world, honestly I'm truthfully miserable enough that the anarchistic joker side of me is certainly rearing it's head more.  Heck even my job has been frustrable lately showing some of the dumbest kinds of policies I've seen.

It's like the moment CoH shut down I've had nothing but frustrating things to look at in life.  Even a lot of my games lately had come up short at times.  I mean it's easy to run out of things to do in games like fallout or skyrim, even starbound I run out of ideas to build things.  I try logging into CO and find myself still falling sleep playing it and feeling bored at the games current balance issues favoring SHFG's.  Kind of atm in a state of "need new game" boredom atm, but the games I look forward to(the successors) are to far away atm.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27441 on: April 27, 2017, 07:01:53 PM »
I know you're joking, but that wouldn't be CoH.

It's why as much as I am willing to try any of the successors, what I want in my heart is the original. No offense to any one working on any of the successors or any other project. I was a CoH Player, not an MMORPG player.

I'll settle for whatever I can get, but I want what I want.

I know, thats the joke, it wouldn't be CoH, just a cruel mockery.  But i don't think even you would want such a game.  Trust me, games where only the very top succeed and auto-win even with no skill just for having gotten there first and everyone having to give them freebies all the time are not fun games.  I was going to buy for example Ark: Survival evolved, then I read more about it, and how "Alpha tribes" can single-handedly ruin pvp by simply making sure no one can ever challenge them and basically bully everyone and keep them from getting anywhere, or how even pve servers players just hog up the land everywhere and not give it away leaves it impossible to do anything.  One would need a private server and even then the content seems designed so you still have mmorpg style grinding.

Doesn't sound fun to me.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Prism Almidu

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27442 on: April 27, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »
Ark is a game I've tried, but I definitely had more fun playing alone or with a small group of friends on a private server than on one of the official ones, for the same reasons you stated - it's just not fun being unable to exert creative or gameplay freedoms due to other players.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27443 on: April 27, 2017, 11:56:39 PM »
Oh I'm sure the game wold be great if trump properties took it over.  We'd force the healer on everyone, it's gonna be great.  We'll build a wall to stop all the real buffs/debuffs/cc.  We'll hike the taxes so all but 1 player(whoever has the most influence) have to pay 80% of there influence in taxes to the person with the most influence(he'll be exempt!).  We'll build a wall against the mobs, the freeloaders, and make incarnates only good for the top player.  We'll make pvp mandatory and IO's only available to the top player.   It'll be great!

So about those war walls.  We surrounded Paragon City with walls to protect against alien invasion.  Aliens from another dimension.  To protect ourselves from an enemy capable of teleporting.  And the home base for these teleporting interdimensional aliens is inside the war walls of the city.

The best part is that in spite of all that, the Rikti just hang around out in the open in the wealthiest suburb of the city.

This would actually make more sense if the war walls were put up by the Rikti to trap us inside with them.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27444 on: April 28, 2017, 12:39:04 AM »
"It's gonna be huuuge!!"

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27445 on: April 28, 2017, 12:46:01 AM »
Over 200 artillery units, of which 40 were ballistic missile artillery. Each of those 40 launched 8 ballistic missiles.

No live warheads were used.

Honestly missiles are not a threat to S Korea. Position several C-RAMs and anti ballistics and S. Korea will defend themselves by just attrition. (S. Korea has the economy buy the resources and the US moving THAADs into defensive position before they can hit any population zones while NK has a limited stock of missiles) Let alone Camp Casey, Camp Stanley, (several other,) and the 7th Fleet there for support. The biggest threat from N. Korea are actually conventional artillery. Weapon of choice for the N Koreans is the Koksan, a weapon system that can fire 170mm rounds with a maximum effective range of 60 km (which so happens to be near the distance of Seoul from the DMZ) With a population of 10 million and how S. Korea is build (very compact and upwards) the initial salvo will have casualties in the upper hundred thousands if not close to million. The only way one would counter an artillery barrage is monitoring the DMZ for movements and make a preemptive strike on the sites. NK actually has the means currently to do massive damage to Seoul and they don't need any missiles to cause a panic.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27446 on: April 28, 2017, 03:20:15 AM »
Can't just one teeny tiny missile hit NCSoft?  It'll just be a soft, fluffy missile.  Honest.  (Channeling my inner villain.)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27447 on: April 28, 2017, 03:37:42 AM »
Honestly missiles are not a threat to S Korea. Position several C-RAMs and anti ballistics and S. Korea will defend themselves by just attrition. (S. Korea has the economy buy the resources and the US moving THAADs into defensive position before they can hit any population zones while NK has a limited stock of missiles) Let alone Camp Casey, Camp Stanley, (several other,) and the 7th Fleet there for support. The biggest threat from N. Korea are actually conventional artillery. Weapon of choice for the N Koreans is the Koksan, a weapon system that can fire 170mm rounds with a maximum effective range of 60 km (which so happens to be near the distance of Seoul from the DMZ) With a population of 10 million and how S. Korea is build (very compact and upwards) the initial salvo will have casualties in the upper hundred thousands if not close to million. The only way one would counter an artillery barrage is monitoring the DMZ for movements and make a preemptive strike on the sites. NK actually has the means currently to do massive damage to Seoul and they don't need any missiles to cause a panic.

Field artillery is capable of reaching South Korea if they shoot from just across the border, but the intent of tactical ballistic missiles would presumably be to pose a threat to South Korea from dispersed locations deep within the country.  I'm sure they are presuming that in an actual shooting war with South Korea and presumably the US, their above ground assets near the DMZ aren't going to be around for long.

I see some analogs to how Saddam Hussein viewed his own military, but even more extreme.  North Korea's military exists not to defend the country and not even to win a war against another country.  It exists to provide credibility to the assertion that North Korea is a legitimate threat that has to be taken seriously.  Saddam Hussein faced real enemies with real armies that required his military to be able to fight real wars (notably: Iran).  Realistically, North Korea is never going to face a similar regional conflict, and I suspect they know that. 

The reason North Korea has intermediate ballistic missiles is because North Korea wants to say they have intermediate ballistic missiles.  The reason why they are working on intercontinental launch platforms is because North Korea wants to say they have intercontinental missiles.  You can never fully predict what crazy people will do, but North Korea makes a lot more sense to me when I imagine the country run by a sixteen year old that wants to convince everyone he knows Kung Fu so no one should mess with him.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27448 on: April 28, 2017, 03:42:31 AM »
Can't just one teeny tiny missile hit NCSoft?  It'll just be a soft, fluffy missile.  Honest.  (Channeling my inner villain.)

That's not really North Korea's style.  North Korea's style would be to kidnap a bunch of NCSoft employees and smuggle them across the border and force them to make a North Korean MMO called "City of Beloved Leader" where Kim Jung-un saves North Korea from the Rikti single handedly while the rest of the world descends into decadent chaos.

rezulin

• Minion
« Reply #27449 on: April 28, 2017, 03:49:49 AM »
So, will they have a public server?  Also, if I get a pay per month sub, will I be arrested for providing support to a terrorist organization?  Finally, when is this game gonna go live? Beta?  Throw me a bone here . . .

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27450 on: April 28, 2017, 04:56:13 AM »
North Korea hiring Chinese to pose as fans the time they made the World Cup was just tremendous.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #27451 on: April 28, 2017, 05:04:00 AM »
That's not really North Korea's style.  North Korea's style would be to kidnap a bunch of NCSoft employees and smuggle them across the border and force them to make a North Korean MMO called "City of Beloved Leader" where Kim Jung-un saves North Korea from the Rikti single handedly while the rest of the world descends into decadent chaos.
All player powers would be based around supporting and praising Kim Jung-un or spectating while he single handedly defeats every enemy.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27452 on: April 28, 2017, 04:39:46 PM »
So about those war walls.  We surrounded Paragon City with walls to protect against alien invasion.  Aliens from another dimension.  To protect ourselves from an enemy capable of teleporting.  And the home base for these teleporting interdimensional aliens is inside the war walls of the city.

The best part is that in spite of all that, the Rikti just hang around out in the open in the wealthiest suburb of the city.

This would actually make more sense if the war walls were put up by the Rikti to trap us inside with them.

Heheh, I know right?  And yeah walls made by the rikti to keep people limited in mobility would make far more sense.  Sad thing is people can teleport/fly ect so walls wouldn't even be that effective to.  They were just a gameplay element to keep players from hitting invisible walls and minimize work for sections of city in between zones(know, it'd be cool if we got to saw that done, like make some sections more worn down then those inside the walls ect).

Maybe the rikti actually lived in that section of the city and were enjoying the good life?  They posed as regular humans to get the walls put up to keep the poor away from their condos.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27453 on: April 30, 2017, 11:03:44 PM »
So, will they have a public server?  Also, if I get a pay per month sub, will I be arrested for providing support to a terrorist organization?  Finally, when is this game gonna go live? Beta?  Throw me a bone here . . .

• Pretty sure they would but you couldn't log into it.
  • Pretty sure you'd be considered supporting a terrorist organization even though you cannot log into it.
  • Since you won't likely be able to login, wouldn't matter if it went live or even had a beta.

That being said, I would very surprised if at least one terrorist organization isn't using MMO private maps to discuss ops.  Some of those clients use encrypted channels to transfer data and free accounts making them almost ideal.  Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if gov't security agencies weren't using them too.  Especially the rogue or hidden from the public ones.

After all this is the Internet where the men play women, the women play men, and little girls are really law enforcement looking for pedophiles.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:08:52 PM by LadyVamp »
No Surrender!

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27454 on: April 30, 2017, 11:18:33 PM »
All player powers would be based around supporting and praising Kim Jung-un or spectating while he single handedly defeats every enemy.
The real question is would Kimmy's powers being not needing to pee or poo.

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27455 on: April 30, 2017, 11:21:10 PM »
That being said, I would very surprised if at least one terrorist organization isn't using MMO private maps to discuss ops.  Some of those clients use encrypted channels to transfer data and free accounts making them almost ideal.  Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if gov't security agencies weren't using them too.  Especially the rogue or hidden from the public ones.

Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/Reamde-Novel-Neal-Stephenson/dp/0062191497

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #27456 on: May 01, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
Heck even my job has been frustrable lately showing some of the dumbest kinds of policies I've seen.

"frustrable"?

FRUStrable?

frusTRAble?

frustraBLE?

Neva hoid uvit.   ;)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27457 on: May 01, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »
"frustrable"?

FRUStrable?

frusTRAble?

frustraBLE?

Neva hoid uvit.   ;)

Alex, those kinds of people are eweryvhere.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27458 on: May 01, 2017, 06:21:24 PM »
Grammerers gatta grammerer
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27459 on: May 01, 2017, 10:52:49 PM »
One failed enchant too many on BDO, quitting that pile of garbage.

I take it no good news? :\