Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7284285 times)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27720 on: June 24, 2017, 04:54:31 AM »
I keep seeing sidebar ads for Master X Master, most of them fronting Statesman.

:/

Really, NCSoft?  Not falling for it.

Prism Almidu

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27721 on: June 24, 2017, 06:25:34 AM »
Ghost Widow is unlockable too, through one of their crossover levels that takes place in Independence Port. You fight the Council, with the bosses of the level being Ghost Widow and Arakhn. Statesman shows up but leaves when the dispatcher NPC calls for aid in Atlas... Nostalgia all around.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27722 on: June 24, 2017, 05:21:17 PM »
Thing is, I never wanted to play as States or Ghost. This is why MCUO did not appeal to me.

I want to play as a character I designed, in a world where I choose the path to take, without all the wonky pay-to-win so common to MMORPGs.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27723 on: June 24, 2017, 10:46:15 PM »
Ghost Widow is unlockable too, through one of their crossover levels that takes place in Independence Port. You fight the Council, with the bosses of the level being Ghost Widow and Arakhn. Statesman shows up but leaves when the dispatcher NPC calls for aid in Atlas... Nostalgia all around.

Can't say the devs aren't showing some love for CoH if they're going that far.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27724 on: June 24, 2017, 10:58:48 PM »
I wouldn't call it love of CoH, more like contempt.

At best it's a crossover with a dead-IP. (pun intended)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #27725 on: June 25, 2017, 02:04:16 AM »
I keep seeing sidebar ads for Master X Master, most of them fronting Statesman.

:/

Really, NCSoft?  Not falling for it.

I see ads on YouTube now and then before videos for it. People wonder why I suddenly start flipping off my phone and shouting obscenities at it...

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #27726 on: June 25, 2017, 05:31:10 AM »
Just one more reason to forever boycott NCSoft.  The only way I would play one of their games is if I could somehow drain them of money and resources by doing so.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

AudreyWinter

• Minion
« Reply #27727 on: June 25, 2017, 05:36:00 AM »
Just one more reason to forever boycott NCSoft.  The only way I would play one of their games is if I could somehow drain them of money and resources by doing so.

That would make for a funny inversion of a charity event. Marathon gaming for justice!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27728 on: June 25, 2017, 06:39:10 AM »

Mxm is free to play. So if you never bought anything your playing it would technically be draining their money and resources, however infinitesimally.

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27729 on: June 25, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »
I wouldn't call it love of CoH, more like contempt.

At best it's a crossover with a dead-IP. (pun intended)

If it was contempt, NCSoft wouldn't have let them put States and GW in MxM in the first place, let alone a full level with what could be a set of unique enemies (which would have taken a chunk of design and development time).

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27730 on: June 25, 2017, 01:16:36 PM »
Contempt for the players, perhaps.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27731 on: June 25, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »
I wouldn't call it contempt, I'd call it extreme cluelessness.  "What people liked about CoH was the NPCs, right?  So all the CoH fans will flock to another game if we put in the same NPCs, right?  Right???"

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27732 on: June 25, 2017, 02:29:03 PM »
I call it contempt because they clearly have the resources ($$$) to develop a game with these characters. And yet they will not relaunch the popular game that, given the entertainment culture (movies and tv), would make it a hot item.

Instead they would rather sit on the ip, thumb their noses at us and give us something we didn't want, this is why I call it contempt.

The cluelessness came about when they shut down CoX in favor of launching other unproven properties.

Keldian

• Minion
« Reply #27733 on: June 26, 2017, 12:33:32 AM »
It's my understanding that that stuff is there because one of the designers is a fan.  Our problem isn't with designers but with business guys.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27734 on: June 26, 2017, 12:36:41 AM »
They can't include it without the business guys signing off.

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #27735 on: June 26, 2017, 02:49:29 AM »
I call it contempt because they clearly have the resources ($$$) to develop a game with these characters. And yet they will not relaunch the popular game that, given the entertainment culture (movies and tv), would make it a hot item.
You do make a good point here. With superheroes being such a hot item in entertainment these days, a GOOD superhero MMO would potentially have a huge draw.

Surelle

« Reply #27736 on: June 26, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
It's my understanding that that stuff is there because one of the designers is a fan.  Our problem isn't with designers but with business guys.

I think it's the business guy, the brand manager for NCWest, who is a CoX fan.  He's the one who got the approval to do this back in 2014, when Nate's TFHM team was trying unsuccessfully to get NCSoft to lease the IP and a shutdown-night image of the CoX server.  NCSoft did this MxM crap instead.

I'm with Mercedes on this one.   :P

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27737 on: June 26, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »

Does this mean you won't be doing billboards for them saying that you're a real gamer because you love MXM?

Awwwwww.  :(

Dev7on

• Elite Boss

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27739 on: June 26, 2017, 08:32:29 PM »

Instead they would rather sit on the ip, thumb their noses at us and give us something we didn't want, this is why I call it contempt.

The cluelessness came about when they shut down CoX in favor of launching other unproven properties.

It's not contempt because they don't even know or care who you or we are.  It's apathy at the most, business at usual at the least.   But to think NCSoft cares about us enough to be spiteful, wishful thinking. 

To you it may be a war or personal.  But to them, it's just a job.  They probably don't even think about it when they go home so don't loose sleep over it, they aren't.