Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7285728 times)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28020 on: October 21, 2017, 03:12:18 AM »
We can not descend to a place where we already are.

Touche'!
What was no more, is now reborn!

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28021 on: October 21, 2017, 04:38:10 AM »
The only way these negotiations are going anywhere at this point is if the team can convince NCsoft that they could make money off of licensing them the IP rights to rebrand one of the spiritual successor projects as a true sequel but I don't know enough about who is doing the to say if its realistic to even consider them being able to make that argument or that they would even want to if they could.

Pretty sure that option was explored, but NC wanted Monopoly money for the privilege - in other words - a not-so polite way of saying "no".

Fun fact, this guy has me beat for "world's most punchable face"!!

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28022 on: October 21, 2017, 08:30:10 PM »
So really, the only hope is that someone will hammer out a full server emulator. Not holding my breath on that count. Not that I don't think it's possible, but it seems CoH fans are too squeamish about the legality. :p

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #28023 on: October 21, 2017, 10:23:22 PM »
So really, the only hope is that someone will hammer out a full server emulator. Not holding my breath on that count. Not that I don't think it's possible, but it seems CoH fans are too squeamish about the legality. :p
If by "squeamish about legality" you mean that they don't want to dump a massive amount of time into something that would almost definitely get hit with a court order forcing them to shut it down as soon they start trying to get people to join up. :P

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28024 on: October 22, 2017, 01:27:09 AM »
If by "squeamish about legality" you mean that they don't want to dump a massive amount of time into something that would almost definitely get hit with a court order forcing them to shut it down as soon they start trying to get people to join up. :P

You act like nearly every other MMO out there doesn't have "illegal" private servers running that have been up for years with no problem. It's really only the ones that have gotten huge that even Blizzard has bothered with. Even then, only on the grounds that they were running it as a for profit endeavor.

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #28025 on: October 22, 2017, 03:37:21 AM »
You act like nearly every other MMO out there doesn't have "illegal" private servers running that have been up for years with no problem. It's really only the ones that have gotten huge that even Blizzard has bothered with. Even then, only on the grounds that they were running it as a for profit endeavor.

NCsoft has a long and well documented history of aggressively going after private servers. The fact that Blizzard rolls in so much money from WoW that they don't give a shit is completely irrelevant.

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28026 on: October 22, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
NCsoft has a long and well documented history of aggressively going after private servers. The fact that Blizzard rolls in so much money from WoW that they don't give a shit is completely irrelevant.

There are currently 171 active Lineage 2 private servers, and that's just from one index site ( L2topzone ). And we're talking about their biggest title here. So, yes, they have shut down a private server here and there, but the cases of that I've found are similar to the ones that Blizzard has gone after: They got too big and well known and were making money off of them with paid memberships or some other means.

I'd think they'd have a harder time proving damages to warrant a full on legal action when it comes to a title that they've shut down and actively prevented access to through official means. But that's speculative, there's no precedent for those circumstances. Point is, it's a risk, sure, but I believe the worst you can expect is a court order to shut down. But even Paragon Chat runs that risk.

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28027 on: October 22, 2017, 08:25:58 PM »
There are currently 171 active Lineage 2 private servers, and that's just from one index site ( L2topzone ). And we're talking about their biggest title here. So, yes, they have shut down a private server here and there, but the cases of that I've found are similar to the ones that Blizzard has gone after: They got too big and well known and were making money off of them with paid memberships or some other means.

I'd think they'd have a harder time proving damages to warrant a full on legal action when it comes to a title that they've shut down and actively prevented access to through official means. But that's speculative, there's no precedent for those circumstances. Point is, it's a risk, sure, but I believe the worst you can expect is a court order to shut down. But even Paragon Chat runs that risk.

Looks like they dropped 6 in just afew hours... according to when I just visited (now) its 165.

Hell, Elyseium (probably the most well known of recent WoW Vanilla private servers), just closed its doors in the past week due to some behind the scenes shenanigans... it didn't even need Blizzard to get involved.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28028 on: October 22, 2017, 11:43:04 PM »

I am sure people are working on it, from what I understand it was quite the endeavor.   However, it would be shut down almost immediately unless it was the best secret ever.   And saying people are too squeamish about it is a lot easier when it's not you taking the risk.  There would be legal consequences sooner or later, it would be inevitable.  Even if it is just a C&D anyone who runs a server is taking a risk, so it's easy to not be squeamish when you aren't taking any risk.

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28029 on: October 23, 2017, 02:26:08 AM »
Just saying, it just seems this is the only MMO that was reasonably popular that people were never willing to take a chance on cobbling together even a single private server for. It's a risk, yeah, but don't see why this game is fairly unique in that. I'm not really meaning to criticize. Just wondering. If I had the technical know how and the hardware, I might try it myself. But I have neither.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:22:38 AM by Tyger42 »

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28030 on: October 23, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
Just saying, it just seems this is the only MMO that was reasonably popular that people were never willing to take a chance on cobbling together even a single private server for. It's a risk, yeah, but don't see why this game is fairly unique in that. I'm not really meaning to criticize. Just wondering. If I had the technical know how and the hardware, I might try it myself. But I have neither.
Maybe because this is the only game where we were Heroes. Not just guys with weapons blowing things up.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #28031 on: October 23, 2017, 10:09:55 PM »

Yeah, this.   But my luck would be that my submission to join would be missed for some time.  :(   

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #28032 on: October 24, 2017, 04:26:57 AM »

To cobble together a private server, you first have to have the server code.  Plus, from my visit to Paragon, I was given to understand that it was the stuff of which nightmares are made. 
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Fireheart

• Boss
« Reply #28033 on: October 24, 2017, 04:41:35 PM »
Yes, I've often heard the sever code described in Cthulhuesque terms.

Be Well!
Fireheart

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28034 on: October 24, 2017, 05:08:58 PM »
There was some talk about a server simulator a few years ago (i.e., not the original CoH code, but something which the client would recognize as CoH code), but I don't know if anything ever developed on that front.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28035 on: October 27, 2017, 03:11:25 PM »
'If I can't have you, no one else can.' 

A quote that that seems to some up CoH's demise quite well.

Azrael.

Sergio526

• Underling
« Reply #28036 on: October 27, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
'If I can't have you, no one else can.' 

A quote that that seems to some up CoH's demise quite well.

Azrael.

Except, they can have CoH. For all we know, they have it up and running at NCSoft and employees play it internally. I bet they're up to I29 and they've added in 4K textures and HDR. Bastards!

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28037 on: October 28, 2017, 05:48:57 AM »
Except, they can have CoH. For all we know, they have it up and running at NCSoft and employees play it internally. I bet they're up to I29 and they've added in 4K textures and HDR. Bastards!

If they play internally, I hope they enjoy my PENGUIN arcs in the Architect Entertainment.  :(  I wish I could.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28038 on: October 28, 2017, 06:17:20 AM »
I bet they're up to I29 and they've added in 4K textures and HDR.

And with 2 top of the line GPUs they've got the spaghetti code running at a smooth 8 FPM.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28039 on: October 28, 2017, 05:48:56 PM »
Well if it helps anyone's nostalgia or addiction, I came across someone's youtube vids of the game. Looks like they've uploaded halloween event vids, summer event and giant monster vids.  I liked watching the kronos one on my lunch at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6dTXkuOmEo

Granted some of these vids could probably use a spin through an editor but I'm not complaining.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!