Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7272621 times)

bugzee

Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28040 on: October 28, 2017, 06:14:21 PM »
There was some talk about a server simulator a few years ago (i.e., not the original CoH code, but something which the client would recognize as CoH code), but I don't know if anything ever developed on that front.

They stopped for a while because they got a cease and desist letter from NCSOFT. They recently started development again but the problem is they are only using issue 0. And they are a long way off from anything functional. You can walk around a bit in the city and then it starts crashing. They can't use newer versions due to encryption being a problem. I wouldn't put any hope into that one.

Surelle

« Reply #28041 on: October 29, 2017, 02:21:04 AM »
They stopped for a while because they got a cease and desist letter from NCSOFT. They recently started development again but the problem is they are only using issue 0. And they are a long way off from anything functional. You can walk around a bit in the city and then it starts crashing. They can't use newer versions due to encryption being a problem. I wouldn't put any hope into that one.

Well, on the plus side, it's pre-ED!  :P

bugzee

« Reply #28042 on: October 29, 2017, 04:14:57 AM »
Well, on the plus side, it's pre-ED!  :P

Yes! 6 slotted damage dumpster diving goodness :)

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #28043 on: October 29, 2017, 05:24:00 AM »
i doubt they have it internally......i doubt they even give it a second thought except when people remind them about it some how. they've moved on and are probably just annoyed that we didnt move on with them. they expected us to move to other games they own not realizeing that.....well...we were loyal to the game and not the company.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28044 on: October 29, 2017, 09:36:47 AM »
i doubt they have it internally......i doubt they even give it a second thought except when people remind them about it some how. they've moved on and are probably just annoyed that we didnt move on with them. they expected us to move to other games they own not realizeing that.....well...we were loyal to the game and not the company.

Plus the other games they have stink.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28045 on: October 29, 2017, 05:16:56 PM »

Well, I was loyal to a studio. Just not NCSoft as a whole. :p

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28046 on: October 30, 2017, 12:17:02 PM »
Moderator's Note:  The originally quoted post has been removed, but the tone and content of this reply were within the bounds of acceptable etiquette.

This.  Plus if enough people get the code and can set up their own emulation servers and the amount of them keeps growing, good luck shutting them all down.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:10:31 AM by eabrace »
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #28047 on: October 30, 2017, 03:21:06 PM »
IMO the whole argument is a bit silly. I have not seen a single person say "I would totally code an emulator if only I weren't afraid of legal reprisal."

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #28048 on: October 31, 2017, 02:08:17 AM »
I would totally code an emulator if only I weren't afraid of legal reprisal

and had the time/resources/experience to do so.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28049 on: October 31, 2017, 02:23:31 AM »
...and had the time/resources/experience to do so.

Thanks for the honesty! :D
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28050 on: October 31, 2017, 03:12:27 AM »
i lack the initiative to even claim i'd code one if i had the skills.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28051 on: October 31, 2017, 03:29:19 AM »
Thanks for the honesty! :D
I need a heroooooo

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28052 on: October 31, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »
IMO the whole argument is a bit silly. I have not seen a single person say "I would totally code an emulator if only I weren't afraid of legal reprisal."

Reminds me of that time you posted a hypothetical question about a hypothetical game that was hypothetically able to run on an individual PC & also connect to multiple other users as a way to circumvent such legalities...hypothetically.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #28053 on: October 31, 2017, 01:28:02 PM »
Reminds me of that time you posted a hypothetical question about a hypothetical game that was hypothetically able to run on an individual PC & also connect to multiple other users as a way to circumvent such legalities...hypothetically.

To clarify, that particular thought experiment was actually about a hypothetical design to protect the players from such threats. It was more about trying to design something that can't ever be shut down than fear of risk. COH players have already been through that pain once.

The developers of such a system would probably still be at risk, and the hypothetical situation assumed that they either didn't care or had taken countermeasures.

So while interesting, it isn't really relevant to the current discussion, which seems to be people randomly speculating about why someone else hasn't created something for them.

Keldian

• Minion
« Reply #28054 on: October 31, 2017, 01:31:01 PM »
Well, being that we don't have the server code, it wouldn't matter if it were a mess.  To emulate it, you'd have to start from scratch, basically seeing what the client sends and trying to figure out what needs to be sent in response.  It's still a monumental amount of work.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #28055 on: October 31, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »
The client code being a mess can affect that, too.

Small example: I originally wanted to make the zombie 'trick' in Paragon Chat con hostile rather than friendly. I wasted probably a good 2 or 3 hours banging my head against the wall, trying to figure out why it would just vanish on the client whenever I set the bits that should cause it to show up with a red name.

Eventually gave up and left it friendly. Only after stepping away for a couple weeks do I finally think I know what might be causing it, but haven't done any real testing to confirm.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28056 on: October 31, 2017, 02:27:19 PM »
Happy Halloween, folks.  People should dress as their characters today.  :)

Granted, I cannot, as I must go get ready to work teaching English and cannot show up in a Santa suit. . . .

Fireheart

• Boss
« Reply #28057 on: October 31, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »
Tubbius could go to work dressed as Shakespeare and have the class read aloud/act A Midsummer Night's Dream.

That was a seriously memorable class/day for me!

Be Well!
Fireheart

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28058 on: October 31, 2017, 04:10:08 PM »
Tubbius could go to work dressed as Shakespeare and have the class read aloud/act A Midsummer Night's Dream.

That was a seriously memorable class/day for me!

Be Well!
Fireheart

Are you sure that was you and not a Saved by the Bell episode?

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #28059 on: October 31, 2017, 10:29:05 PM »
Happy Halloween, folks.  People should dress as their characters today.  :)

yeah.. about that....

My main character at the end was a female fox girl... yeah, if I dressed like that it would scare a lot of people and ... be an internet sensation!   muhahahahaha... hah