Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7289870 times)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28200 on: December 20, 2017, 11:39:19 PM »
It's Christmas...again. Still no City of Heroes.

How I miss that game. Especially in December. This is the lowest point of the year for me. If I could I would go straight from Halloween to New Years

I've posted here many times about how I just want to play this game again before i die. But I think now it won't happen.

I'm not sick or anything as far as I know...I just don't think it will happen. There will be good reasons and rationalizations about why it can't happen. But the end result will be that I will never get to fly  over Paragon City on my way to a mission to teach the council some manners or fight Luska or resist Emperor Cole or any of the other things that made this time of year bearable to me.

It sounds maudlin, but this game...this game helped me make it through my mother's death, losing my wife and so much more. It let me feel like i had control even when I knew it was an illusion. When they closed the servers, my world got a lot more gray and a lot smaller. Every year it is worse.

I had hoped by now that I would have an alternative to City of Heroes or that the loss would have faded, but now I realize that this going to be one of those things that I won't ever actually be able to let go.

I know that no one wants to read things this so please forgive me. I sincerely hope that everyone is having a great holiday season and that you are all happy and looking forward to the new year. I hope one day I can feel like that again.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

mad skills

• Underling
« Reply #28201 on: December 21, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »
I took a long break from following this forum waiting for news. I had to move on and finished college. I would love to catch up on all of the discussions but who has the time for that? Well, not me. So, has there been no new news in the last 2 or 3 years seriously?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28202 on: December 21, 2017, 05:47:35 AM »

How I miss that game. Especially in December. This is the lowest point of the year for me. If I could I would go straight from Halloween to New Years

I've posted here many times about how I just want to play this game again before i die. But I think now it won't happen.

I'm not sick or anything as far as I know...I just don't think it will happen. There will be good reasons and rationalizations about why it can't happen. But the end result will be that I will never get to fly  over Paragon City on my way to a mission to teach the council some manners or fight Luska or resist Emperor Cole or any of the other things that made this time of year bearable to me.

It sounds maudlin, but this game...this game helped me make it through my mother's death, losing my wife and so much more. It let me feel like i had control even when I knew it was an illusion. When they closed the servers, my world got a lot more gray and a lot smaller. Every year it is worse.

I had hoped by now that I would have an alternative to City of Heroes or that the loss would have faded, but now I realize that this going to be one of those things that I won't ever actually be able to let go.

I know that no one wants to read things this so please forgive me. I sincerely hope that everyone is having a great holiday season and that you are all happy and looking forward to the new year. I hope one day I can feel like that again.

I feel your pain fell CoH player, I truly do. 

I truly believe that NCsoft neither realizes nor cares what they did to us when they closed CoH.

As to Christmas and no CoH, I can only offer this video along with many others that another former player has uploaded to youtube.  The link is for a vid file they made of the Winter Event, they also have upload vids of task forces, strike forces, Halloween, Spring, Summer events, the hidden matrix room and vid files of both blueside, redside giant monsters and the Praetorian Seed of Hamidon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEyE_NTN8Z8

While some of the vids could benefit from a little editing/remix, I'm not complaining as they bring back some find memories.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28203 on: December 21, 2017, 05:50:45 AM »
IMO, episodes 1-3 ignored some of the exposition of 4-6, and watching them in order they make no sense.

Watch them in this order, Rogue One, Ep 4, then 5, then start Ep 6 and get to where Obi Wan's ghost starts tallking to Luke, then stop ROTJ at that point and watch 1 to 3 then finish ROTJ, then watch 7 and 8.

As to the prequels, if you look at Palpatine/Sidious' plans and schemes, I think that Machiavelli would have been pleased.
In fearful COH-less days

Surelle

« Reply #28204 on: December 21, 2017, 01:37:54 PM »
I took a long break from following this forum waiting for news. I had to move on and finished college. I would love to catch up on all of the discussions but who has the time for that? Well, not me. So, has there been no new news in the last 2 or 3 years seriously?

The game shut down 5 years ago.  There has been nothing concrete concerning CoX, beyond NCSoft/Nexon sticking a zombie rez of Statesman/Cole and Ghost Widow into Master X Master, their new MOBA, this past June.

Probably the biggest news is that NCSoft/Nexon shuttered Master X Master already-- gone in 6 months flat.  That's worse than usual even for them.  Tabula Rasa made it almost a year!

Surelle

« Reply #28205 on: December 21, 2017, 01:48:05 PM »

I know, I understand.  We do have several spiritual successors in the pipeline, though, of which Ship of Heroes is the furthest along and seems to have a similar feel and look to it (especially for a sci-fi, ship-based MMORPG, haha).  I'm trying it when it arrives! 

You've got to give yourself permission to use that former CoX time to do other relaxing things with, or to play other games with.  They won't fill the void the way CoX did, but 60% joy or 75% joy is a lot better than 0% joy, you know?   :)

I mean, we're a lot luckier than most other displaced MMOers (except for FFXIV's, which has had 3 rezzes now, and A.P.B. Reloaded's which has had 2, haha).  How many other shuttered MMORPGs not only have sequels in the works, but also have Paragon-Chat-type programs so that the original, fav MMO can still be revisited?   ;D

Cheer up, mate.  SEGS is coming back to life again, too.  https://segs.nemerle.eu/forumz/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8016&start=60   Things looked worse in December of 2012 than they look nowadays!  Things are looking up!

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #28206 on: December 22, 2017, 01:51:36 AM »
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #28207 on: December 22, 2017, 05:34:24 AM »
Maybe a campaign to e-mail links to all of these CoH tribute videos to NCSoft would make them aware of the following it had, and could have again.  The gaming world had never seen the likes of it, and nothing has come close to duplicating it.

Nevermind...they knew, and shut it down anyway.  ;)
What was no more, is now reborn!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28208 on: December 22, 2017, 05:43:27 AM »
Maybe a campaign to e-mail links to all of these CoH tribute videos to NCSoft would make them aware of the following it had, and could have again.  The gaming world had never seen the likes of it, and nothing has come close to duplicating it.

Nevermind...they knew, and shut it down anyway.  ;)

Knowing NCSoft they'd demand all the vids be taken down

Also I see the person I found on youtube has uploaded a few more vids, looks like there is an RSF video up now.

Fond memories
In fearful COH-less days

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #28209 on: December 22, 2017, 03:53:16 PM »
Watch them in this order, Rogue One, Ep 4, then 5, then start Ep 6 and get to where Obi Wan's ghost starts tallking to Luke, then stop ROTJ at that point and watch 1 to 3 then finish ROTJ, then watch 7 and 8.

As to the prequels, if you look at Palpatine/Sidious' plans and schemes, I think that Machiavelli would have been pleased.

There's the "Machete Order," which I agree with. Adding in Rogue One, the viewing order would be:

Rogue One
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi

The Machete mindset says (and I agree) that you can skip over Phantom Menace and really lose nothing. This is the order I've shown them to my nieces and nephews in, and it seems to work. :)
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28210 on: December 22, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »
Or you could just skip the prequels altogether in favor of the novelizations (and throw in the Plagueis novel for more depth to Palpatine's plotting). Though of course no writer could possibly convey the importance of the sand/water dialectic as well as the actors.

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #28211 on: December 22, 2017, 05:10:37 PM »
they did what they could given Lucas WANTED then being emotionless robots......also throw in the clone wars (Series) to that list or just assign it as home work. there are some stinker episodes but then theres the Umbara arc and some others that are just awesome.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28212 on: December 22, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
The unaired Clone Wars season was the best I thought. Rebels is still better than any of those though.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28213 on: December 22, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »
The unaired Clone Wars season was the best I thought.
That season was amazing.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #28214 on: December 23, 2017, 10:32:33 AM »
Once in a blue moon, there comes along a time when us mere mortals are allowed to weigh in on the DMCA.

This is that time.

https://gizmodo.com/the-dmca-is-broken-and-it-s-stopping-fans-from-saving-a-1821531479

This might be one tiny spot of light in an otherwise grim year, like Hope in the bottom of Pandora's Box.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #28215 on: December 23, 2017, 11:40:04 PM »
After watching a LOT of CoH videos on Youtube lately, and reminiscing fondly, I found the one I was REALLY looking for.  Made in the early days of the game, by someone who used their entire super group as the stars.  Set to the music of Chad Kroeger's "Hero", and edited so that the music compliments the action being depicted, really well.  I actually met the guy in the blue outfit in-game once at an enhancement shop, purely by chance.  I complimented the video, and he gave me a virtual autograph.  Just one of a thousand great memories in the game.

Here is the link to it if you want to see it for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaWdcuyKb54
What was no more, is now reborn!

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28216 on: December 24, 2017, 05:31:34 AM »
Once in a blue moon, there comes along a time when us mere mortals are allowed to weigh in on the DMCA.

This is that time.

https://gizmodo.com/the-dmca-is-broken-and-it-s-stopping-fans-from-saving-a-1821531479

This might be one tiny spot of light in an otherwise grim year, like Hope in the bottom of Pandora's Box.

So...you're trying to say that we still have a chance of saving our City by sending a response to the Copyright Office? If it is lets try to spread the word one last time as much as possible. I'll do whatever it takes to get our City back. Besides NCsoft is shutting down Master X Master so there's still a slight chance.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:10:17 AM by Dev7on »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #28217 on: December 24, 2017, 09:44:39 AM »
So...you're trying to say that we still have a chance of saving our City by sending a response to the Copyright Office? If it is lets try to spread the word one last time as much as possible. I'll do whatever it takes to get our City back. Besides NCsoft is shutting down Master X Master so there's still a slight chance.

Yes, I am.  That's the thrust of this article.  Please do spread the information.

We actually do have a chance to get the DMCA modified in our favor in this way.  NCSoft isn't going to throw huge campaign contributions (or, indeed, any campaign contributions) at lawmakers to oppose this, and neither is any other game company.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
« Reply #28218 on: December 25, 2017, 02:41:27 AM »
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 04:59:35 AM by Doc Artz »
Doc Artz

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss