Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210475 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28440 on: April 05, 2018, 09:33:57 PM »
When we are all old and in the home, we will wake up around noon.
Take a shower, put on our PJ's and bath robe.
Get wheeled out into the hall, where the WiFi is better and play City of Heroes until bedtime, about 4 in the afternoon.

Actually, that doesn't sound completely horrible right now.

PJ's and bath robe sound enough like pants that I'm assuming you've gone senile in this scenario.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28441 on: April 05, 2018, 10:13:39 PM »
PJ's and bath robe sound enough like pants that I'm assuming you've gone senile in this scenario.

If that is the only way to play City of Heroes, I'll even wear underpants!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28442 on: April 05, 2018, 11:58:04 PM »

... but not long johns, I have my pride.

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28443 on: April 06, 2018, 05:30:36 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7K4-b9hRUI

AssassinDroid

• Underling
« Reply #28444 on: April 06, 2018, 07:49:27 PM »

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28445 on: April 07, 2018, 01:19:58 AM »
Yup, it's being discussed here if you want to join in.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28446 on: April 08, 2018, 05:29:22 AM »

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28447 on: April 09, 2018, 02:06:52 AM »

;D

Releasing it so close to April fools didn't help, but it sounds as though the guys are pretty confident they'll have things running like clockwork at some point.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28448 on: April 10, 2018, 01:00:14 AM »
https://segs.nemerle.eu/forumz/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8823

Saw this this morning. Looks like segs has a server working, though currently you can only log in and stand around (rubberbanding), but still good to see progress.

Yes, please!
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28449 on: April 11, 2018, 01:11:53 PM »
If this allows one to setup their own server with full admin access and the ability to tweak a few things here and there I will be very happy.

I would SO happily make some custom tuneups to Peacebringers and Warshades on my server.

Also my first post op follow up appointment went well. I can now say I have improved from feeling like hammered garbage to feeling very lousy.  Progress! :)
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28450 on: April 12, 2018, 11:59:28 PM »
Sorry if someone has already brought this up, there's... A LOT of pages to go through. I only found out recently a new law passed that affects the US and UK says that a game that has been shut down for 5 years means the license holder loses exclusivity rights. That means CoH could be launched right now, and NCSoft can't do anything. If the resources, assets, etc. are available, there is no longer any requirement to even bother with NCSoft. Is everyone aware of this already?

I am unaware of any such law being passed.  Even if such a law were passed it would not help City of Heroes: NCSoft did not have an exclusive license to City of Heroes' IP; as far as I'm aware NCSoft was the owner of it.  I highly doubt any recent law passed would override copyright law with regard to ownership rights.

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28451 on: April 13, 2018, 02:05:11 AM »
I am unaware of any such law being passed.  Even if such a law were passed it would not help City of Heroes: NCSoft did not have an exclusive license to City of Heroes' IP; as far as I'm aware NCSoft was the owner of it.  I highly doubt any recent law passed would override copyright law with regard to ownership rights.

I hadn't heard if it passed, but there was a news article recently ( Even linked further back in the thread and has its own thread, I believe ) about a proposed measure that would cause the rights to "dead" online games to expire if unused after a few years. But I believe it basically only grants a form of "fair use" protection to freely run private server emulators.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28452 on: April 13, 2018, 03:08:53 PM »
I hadn't heard if it passed, but there was a news article recently ( Even linked further back in the thread and has its own thread, I believe ) about a proposed measure that would cause the rights to "dead" online games to expire if unused after a few years. But I believe it basically only grants a form of "fair use" protection to freely run private server emulators.

Basically it comes down to "use it or lose it".

Example: Fawcett Comics created Captain Marvel/Shazam.  They were sued by DC and had to stop publication of the series.  Later they go out of business and DC comics swoops in and buys up their characters and basically throws them into the toy closet and doesn't use them.

As a result, trademarks for a book titled Captain Marvel lapsed due to no usage and as soon as it became available in the 60's, Marvel Comics snatches that trademark and published their own Captain Marvel book starring Captain Mar-Vell.

After Mar-Vell perished from cancer in the early 80's, they had some other characters take the name Captain Marvel and would occassionally reprint Mar-Vell's adventures, and even made an Untold Legend of Captain Marvel mini-series.  Basically Marvel has to publish a book or a series titled Captain Marvel every few years to retain the trademark as they refuse to let it lapse.

Now Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel and her book has been running for years.

As a result DC comics now refers to him as SHAZAM as they cannot publish any book titled Captain Marvel. I believe he can still be called Captain Marvel within the pages of their books, but they just stated he is now SHAZAM.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:14:10 PM by Sinistar »
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28453 on: April 13, 2018, 05:22:14 PM »
I'm all for SEGS and I have it installed and "working", but they are years away from giving former players the experience they had at shutdown.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:48:18 PM by saipaman »

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28454 on: April 13, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »
Sorry if someone has already brought this up, there's... A LOT of pages to go through. I only found out recently a new law passed that affects the US and UK says that a game that has been shut down for 5 years means the license holder loses exclusivity rights. That means CoH could be launched right now, and NCSoft can't do anything. If the resources, assets, etc. are available, there is no longer any requirement to even bother with NCSoft. Is everyone aware of this already?

Even if the law was true, okay, we can relaunch City of Heroes.  Who's got the server backup?  Anyone?

Crap.   >:(
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28455 on: April 14, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »
Even if the law was true, okay, we can relaunch City of Heroes.  Who's got the server backup?  Anyone?

I don't care if I have to start over. I just want to play the game again.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28456 on: April 14, 2018, 09:04:27 PM »
Basically it comes down to "use it or lose it".

Example: Fawcett Comics created Captain Marvel/Shazam.  They were sued by DC and had to stop publication of the series.  Later they go out of business and DC comics swoops in and buys up their characters and basically throws them into the toy closet and doesn't use them.

As a result, trademarks for a book titled Captain Marvel lapsed due to no usage and as soon as it became available in the 60's, Marvel Comics snatches that trademark and published their own Captain Marvel book starring Captain Mar-Vell.

After Mar-Vell perished from cancer in the early 80's, they had some other characters take the name Captain Marvel and would occassionally reprint Mar-Vell's adventures, and even made an Untold Legend of Captain Marvel mini-series.  Basically Marvel has to publish a book or a series titled Captain Marvel every few years to retain the trademark as they refuse to let it lapse.

Now Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel and her book has been running for years.

As a result DC comics now refers to him as SHAZAM as they cannot publish any book titled Captain Marvel. I believe he can still be called Captain Marvel within the pages of their books, but they just stated he is now SHAZAM.

Technically, DC is currently publishing a similar but different character named "Shazam" (he's still Billy Batson and he still says "Shazam!" to transform, but his powers are different, his personality is different, his costume is different, and he was given his powers by an Australian god instead of a Middle-Eastern wizard), while the original Captain Marvel still exists elsewhere in the multiverse (see Convergence), but that's about the size of it.

(It'll be interesting to see how they handle it in the movie.  They might do what they did with Justice League Action, and just basically make him Captain Marvel but call him Shazam)

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28457 on: April 14, 2018, 11:15:18 PM »
(see Convergence)

Or for you non-masochists out there, just take Thunder Glove's word for it.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #28458 on: April 15, 2018, 03:36:41 AM »
I don't care if I have to start over. I just want to play the game again.
Pretty sure Tahquitz is referring to the server code, not the character/accounts database. So in this case starting over means coding your own game servers pretty much from scratch. Yeah, SEGS is working on it, but without the budget for at least a couple full time coders it'll take a while. SEGS has been in the background since shortly after shutdown, and currently it barely supports movement using the Issue 0 client, never mind combat, leveling, missions, chat, etc... Unless someone stumbles across a forgotten server image somewhere it's quite possible the original CoH will not be playable within the next decade. Or NCsoft finally sells their CoH assets, which aren't getting any fresher.
At least there's been significant progress in most of the successor games, so even if i never play CoH again i do have hope of playing a CoH-like game in the fairly near future.
Now if i ever manage to have a million dollars or two to spare i would fund a small team to try recreating the original game servers, but that's not very likely to happen any time soon.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #28459 on: April 15, 2018, 06:35:00 AM »

Some of the original devs for sure has the code and Everything stored somewhere. Cant we check with them if they could give it to us?