Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212238 times)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28500 on: April 26, 2018, 06:11:17 AM »
Obligatory Stephen Hawking Onion article reference: https://www.theonion.com/stephen-hawking-builds-robotic-exoskeleton-1819564353
I know an easier to on how to use quantum physics. All we have to do, hire the original crew of the Enterprise, have them go around our host star. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #28501 on: April 26, 2018, 03:03:01 PM »
Moon Knight did have a tv show for a while but wasn't an anchor.

the valedictorian could have been cho or moon girl or kate bishop or riri williams or... ok let's face it the intelligence bell curve for young superheroes is a bit skewed in marvel even if we exclude all the x-kids :D

But sticking to the MCU, couldn't the valedictorian be Peter Parker?
Beware the mighty faceplant!

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28502 on: April 26, 2018, 04:13:35 PM »

Iowa?

(I thought the same at first tbh...)

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28503 on: April 26, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »
And it's been a while since I saw Winter Soldier, but why would they have been targeting Strange, who at the time was just some fancy surgeon working at a hospital in New York?

Someone could have been in touch with the Ancient One - she had seen the timeline in which Strange became at least a Master - as per her final conversation with Steven...

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28504 on: April 26, 2018, 08:32:36 PM »

He wouldn't have been a senior during WS. The unseen folks could've been.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28505 on: April 26, 2018, 11:51:08 PM »
Someone could have been in touch with the Ancient One - she had seen the timeline in which Strange became at least a Master - as per her final conversation with Steven...

Possibly, although it's hard to see the likely connection there between Insight and the Ancient One, especially considering she kept her visions close to her vest even with her own mystic/secret organization.

There's another possibility, one that one of my brothers brought up when I mentioned this debate: "Sometimes an easter egg is just an easter egg."

(Which is all well, fine, and good, but they're a lot tastier when a decent amount of forethought and planning goes into them....)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28506 on: April 27, 2018, 01:09:45 AM »
With today's parts and government cost over-runs, we're talking $10 billion easy. 
He would have bluetooth and wifi bult-in of course.

The cost had already risen by a million by the time Season 2 of the original series rolled around.  (Specifically, Season 2, Episode 5, "The Seven Million Dollar Man")  Though that may just be because Barney Miller (no relation) had all four limbs replaced rather than three.

I don't think the cost for Michael Austin (Steve's son) or Kate Mason's bionic enhancements from the 1980s reunion movies were ever stated.

Yeah, I'm taking this question way too seriously. :D

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28507 on: April 27, 2018, 10:06:41 AM »
The cost had already risen by a million by the time Season 2 of the original series rolled around.  (Specifically, Season 2, Episode 5, "The Seven Million Dollar Man")  Though that may just be because Barney Miller (no relation) had all four limbs replaced rather than three.

I don't think the cost for Michael Austin (Steve's son) or Kate Mason's bionic enhancements from the 1980s reunion movies were ever stated.

Yeah, I'm taking this question way too seriously. :D
A few years back Kevin Smith's Bionic Man movie idea was turned into a comic series by Dynamite.

Austin asked Oscar how much the parts cost and Oscar responded that with producton costs, staff costs, continued research and development and parts and replacements, that the bionic program cost 6 million per day to operate.   WiFi/USB were among the new features he had installed.

Also the reunion movies did not state the costs of the newer models.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28508 on: April 29, 2018, 08:27:16 PM »
I just read Moon Knight's origin on Wikipedia, and he wasn't a TV anchor; he was a mercenary (former military) assisting with a dig in Egypt. ???

And it's been a while since I saw Winter Soldier, but why would they have been targeting Strange, who at the time was just some fancy surgeon working at a hospital in New York?

The conceit of Project Insight was that it was a sophisticated analysis system that could detect potential threats to Hydra and eliminate them proactively.  Today we'd call it a deep learning system designed to locate and eliminate people who have the highest probability of being future troublemakers.  Its not "possible" but Project Insight was predicting that Stephen Strange was someone who had a high probability of eventually becoming a threat, without necessarily knowing what that threat was.

Stephen Strange is rich, famous, super intelligent, egotistical, extremely skilled, driven person who has little respect for authority or social norms, and considered a maverick in his field.  Even if you assume the Project Insight computers had no awareness of magic, all of Strange's actions after his accident point to the notion that Insight pegged Strange correctly as a potentially dangerous person to Hydra's new world order.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28509 on: May 02, 2018, 02:53:07 AM »
Okay, now that you described what Insight was, it popped back to the front of my memory -- like I said, it's been a while! Actually sounds like a well-placed easter egg, then. :)

(Still not sure about that Moon Knight assumption, though... unless the TV anchor identity was one of his disguises; Wikipedia mentioned his penchant for assumed identities.)

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28510 on: May 02, 2018, 04:17:42 AM »
Okay, now that you described what Insight was, it popped back to the front of my memory -- like I said, it's been a while! Actually sounds like a well-placed easter egg, then. :)

(Still not sure about that Moon Knight assumption, though... unless the TV anchor identity was one of his disguises; Wikipedia mentioned his penchant for assumed identities.)

We understand, it's hard work being a Captain :)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28511 on: May 02, 2018, 04:30:43 AM »

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #28512 on: May 02, 2018, 03:39:10 PM »
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28513 on: May 02, 2018, 09:33:53 PM »
That's what she said!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28514 on: May 04, 2018, 05:45:14 AM »
Allow me to be the first to wish everyone a Happy No Pants Day!

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28515 on: May 06, 2018, 12:10:59 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r98uVJW7pYk

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28516 on: May 08, 2018, 03:40:38 AM »

Especially when the unhappy ones often involve jail time.

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28517 on: May 13, 2018, 03:28:09 PM »
So, my old SG had a bit of a revival briefly a couple years ago on its forums. Bunch of RP story posting going on and such, but that trailed off last year. :( Forum even went down for a while, but the old SG leader re-upped it so we have access again. Few of us were talking about the possibility of setting up a Discord and the advantages that would have over the forum ( though forum has its own advantages usually ). The forum is closed to new registration ( SG leader isn't really involved other than keeping the door open for the forum ), but an active Discord available for "live" superhero RP might be a way to keep things rolling better for the straggling community. It would be available for fresh blood to join in, too.

Opinions? Should this be its own thread? No, it's not the game. But, for us RP nerds, it's an outlet to keep the story alive...

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28518 on: May 13, 2018, 06:49:04 PM »
It's fine Tyger.

Discord has some considerations: there's levers to shut off parts of this, but Discord does track when you're online (on mobile and while gaming) which might rub RP users the wrong way.  You can turn off the gaming tracking (finally, that happened mid-last year) and make it so Discord doesn't open on startup on your computer (so if you're doing something else you're not getting messages asking if you can make a move on RP when you're doing actual work.)  But those tastes depend on the individual.

You can set up a Discord RP server similar to how The Cape Radio does their chat service... the invite code is public, but users come in with no rights and we get notified in a particular channel when someone joins.  If we know who the username is (Paragon Chat is very useful for this purpose, or an alternate means of contact so you know who 'your' people are), we add them as a regular user role.  If we don't, they stay unverified.  It sounds mean, but it's a proactive defense as folks 'attack' other people's Discord servers by finding a channel no one is in and spamming content Discord bans servers over (essays about terrorism, things that 4Chan wouldn't blink over, etc.)  Stonewalling unknown users stops most of that, at the price of needing more than one way to reach us costing us new users who don't care for that tactic.  But for an RP group like yours, that might not be a bad tradeoff.

Last thing to consider: Direct Messages are DETACHED from Discord Servers.  Like in City of Heroes, every user has a Global Name and a Server Nickname.  In Direct Messages, you'd talk to someone's Global Name instead.  If someone doesn't want to join your Discord Server (or doesn't get along with someone there), but wants to RP with you, you can make a Group Direct Message that persists (as long as the creating user doesn't leave the group, it stays around indefinitely).  That way, you can still RP with them and not need to worry about the Server.  Group Direct Messages is also a medium for more explicit stuff that has no attachment to your server, for example, if users want to do ERP but you have rules against it.  Direct Messages is 100% policed by Discord, so your server has no responsibility if someone is abusing those groups (unless you're a member of a Group DM that's involved in a complaint).

The catch is everyone you do a Group DM with, you need to add them as friends.  Without that, you can't join or host a group with them.  This means they can see when you're online at the least (and what game you're playing at the most.)

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:33:35 PM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28519 on: May 23, 2018, 06:33:10 AM »
So, I've been reading ROM comics lately.  This gets me thinking: what would ROM, Spaceknight, have been like in City of Heroes?  A Blaster, to signify his analyzer and neutralizer?  A tank, to emphasize his durability and brawling abilities?  Or what?

Did anyone ever make a ROM-alike in-game?