Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212771 times)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #9200 on: August 19, 2014, 07:37:53 PM »
My only issue with the article is the complete lack of research that went into the article. The misconceptions start with the title and go on from there. I figured something would hit the web sooner than later, but I wish that it was a more accurate "something" than what was posted. So much for investigative reporting LOL!.

Well, based off of Ironwolf's own words in this thread (i.e., "The people who are buying this are players just like you"), the title "Players allegedly negotiating with NCsoft to buy City of Heroes" is....technically speaking...true.

It may be an actual studio, but if we're going off of the current "official spokesman," then yes, the title (although slightly misleading) isn't far off base.

I think we're starting to nitpick here.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9201 on: August 19, 2014, 07:39:45 PM »
Spoken like a true Illusionist.

Heh. You know, I never could level one of those up. At shutdown I was powerleveling an Illusions Controller, because I wanted one but didn't want to deal with actual missions as a lowbie. I tried it once and it was *facepalm*. I got her to about level 24 using only that Boomtown "Defeat Battle Maiden" map when the game closed.

Most Controllers struck me as almost overpowered [Fire/emp anyone], but not Illusion. Not as a lowbie, anyways.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9202 on: August 19, 2014, 07:43:20 PM »
Well, based off of Ironwolf's own words in this thread (i.e., "The people who are buying this are players just like you"), the title "Players allegedly negotiating with NCsoft to buy City of Heroes" is....technically speaking...true.

It may be an actual studio, but if we're going off of the current "official spokesman," then yes, the title (although slightly misleading) isn't far off base.

I think we're starting to nitpick here.

"Players are buying the game!" is like the local evening news telling you: "The bank robbery suspect was Caucasian and wearing a gray t-shirt, black jeans, a black hoodie and black Nike tennis shoes and was last seen heading east on First Avenue." Yep, that sure narrows it down. 

OR NOT. 8)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9203 on: August 19, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »
It's ok - spilled milk and all of that.

I highly doubt one blurb that is already off the main page will matter. If we make it more - then they will dig more.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #9204 on: August 19, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »
Honestly, none of this will matter if the negotiations are successful. 

If they fail the search for the guilty will begin and won't be limited to few websites, forum posts and news articles. It will be a full cat 5 blame hurricane. I wouldn't surprised to see anyone who ever touched the game from Cryptic to people who just sold the game retail being blamed. Oh yes and NCSoft.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Last Known Hero

• Minion
« Reply #9205 on: August 19, 2014, 07:54:44 PM »
It's already pretty buried right now. I think the whole conversation on it should drop.

If a kid gets hurt you don't react, in turn they won't react. Keep calm and no one will think anything of it (this does NOT apply to all life situations).
Contender's Lil Bro - Stone/NRG Tank
Freedom

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #9206 on: August 19, 2014, 08:01:30 PM »
"Players are buying the game!" is like the local evening news telling you: "The bank robbery suspect was Caucasian and wearing a gray t-shirt, black jeans, a black hoodie and black Nike tennis shoes and was last seen heading east on First Avenue." Yep, that sure narrows it down. 

OR NOT. 8)

You're also comparing an MMO site to local news reporting a bank robbery...

But yes, that's similar--as long as it's a "this is all we know at this point" sort of report... That's basically what the article was: "This is all we know at this point, and this is what the spokesperson has said."

....which is why it's not really a misconception. The definition of "misconception" is something that's not true based on faulty thinking...and the bottom line is that the title is still technically true--especially if you're going to approach it from an evening news "this is all we know at this time" standpoint.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9207 on: August 19, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
Mr. Ultimate, you're entitled to your opinion and you should feel comfortable sharing it. But I'm entitled to reply to the poor taste remark. I love this community and I have always had its best interests at heart. And nothing I've said here makes me any less thankful for Ironwolf's efforts. People here were saying some pretty nasty things on previous pages, stemming from mixed signals regarding information that--as it turns out--is okay to be public. I have cheered this community on for years, but it is just as genuine when I speak up about something going on that isn't okay.

I have also saluted Ironwolf and commended his efforts. Ironwolf has also admitted to mishandling some of the earlier information coming out of the negotiations. This isn't black-and-white. I'm normally less forward, and I wasn't trying to bully him, but public opinion is a more fickle thing. If the deal went south due to premature publicity, I do not expect as many of you would still be here giving Ironwolf thank-yous and high-fives. That is not a situation that I would wish on him, but it seemed like he was asking for it: giving thousands of fans information, followed by an about-face asking us not to spread it was, rationally speaking, a red flag for me. So I wanted him to clearly state whether the information we all have here is currently in the clear; because you can bet your inf that other journalists in the gaming press were crawling this thread this morning.

As previously stated, Ironwolf has my apologies for mischaracterizing his permissions from the team, because it now sounds like the negotiators are totally fine if we talk about everything, tip the press, and so on. No one should be blamed or shamed for anything, including Ironwolf--but when it seemed like community members were blaming each other for sharing Ironwolf's information prematurely, yes, I was entirely guilty of holding the source accountable for that, not any of you.

This isn't a private forum. Everything you're saying is out in the open. This is past the point where you can call that paranoia on my part--one member of the press has already reported on what we're talking about here. Disinformation isn't something you plan out in the open, where everyone can see what you're saying. :P

Yeah, alot of people are still misunderstanding us though.  Or just trolling on that news post, kind of figured I'd get trolled there, oh well.  We don't know anything about the deal other than it's happening, which is fine, and nothing keeps us from talking about it and thats not necessarily a problem.  It's when there is someone who doesn't understand that the things they say even when not involved with the deal that could impact it.  I may just be paranoid, I guess.  But all to often I see people do things out of spite, so I worry some.  Anyhow, not going to bother posting on massively ever again.  I get trolled on my first posts there, that tells me more about THEM then anything.  First impression rule, I tend to hit back with it pretty hard in my head.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

SemanticAntics

• Minion
  • Formerly "AllYourBase"
« Reply #9208 on: August 19, 2014, 08:12:03 PM »
I, for one, blame everyone who isn't me for not being me. Shame on all of you.

Clearly, this has been the problem all along. Let's get to fixing this!

[/Thread]

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9209 on: August 19, 2014, 08:12:40 PM »
Iron Wolf didn't "let it out of the bag" it WAS "out of the bag".  The bag was open and it jumped in, so to speak.

This is true.  And while I was one of the angry ones at first going nuts.  After seeing everyone else's cool headedness it makes me feel a bit embarrassed that I overreacted (sorry Agge I don't like to make you put your mod hat on)
But the thing that upset isn't that he "spilled the beans" per say because as many people have mentioned it is public information.  I just felt it didn't need to be shouted from the mountain top which is exactly what Justin did.  After reading Duane's post about why he did it makes perfect sense.  He is a hungry CoHer like the rest of us just looking for some information no ill intent was meant at all.  So I apologize Duane.  There is 450+ pages of hope here making a lot of people happy which I think is great.  In many ways it is our last connection to CoH at the time.  I was just irked that Justin who after reading the forum clearly would have gotten the message of "please don't shout it from a mountain top" and then he did exactly that.  It just seemed really disrespectful to the community and Ironwolf and the new team.  Who were giving us hungry folks information we wanted to hear.  On the condition of "please keep it quiet"  and Justin at Massively just decided he would write about it turning public information that could be found if looked, into a public information being broadcast.  The team and Iron Wolf haven't posted anything that would ruin the deal.  But it still was released on trust and I feel that article broke that trust which you would think a fellow gamer would understand.  Which is kinda silly cause if he had waited until he heard the news, he would have been the first person to write either about the successful return of CoH or a valiant attempt to get it back.  But the sentiment here is correct.  It isn't a big deal, it will wash over, and NCSoft will do as they do no matter what.

This is why I love this community guys.  I can't wait to see you all in game again:)

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #9210 on: August 19, 2014, 08:13:30 PM »
Soooo, are we there yet?

<.<

>.>

what? someone had to do it  ;D

Dal

• Minion
« Reply #9211 on: August 19, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »
Yeah, alot of people are still misunderstanding us though.  Or just trolling on that news post, kind of figured I'd get trolled there, oh well.  We don't know anything about the deal other than it's happening, which is fine, and nothing keeps us from talking about it and thats not necessarily a problem.  It's when there is someone who doesn't understand that the things they say even when not involved with the deal that could impact it.  I may just be paranoid, I guess.  But all to often I see people do things out of spite, so I worry some.  Anyhow, not going to bother posting on massively ever again.  I get trolled on my first posts there, that tells me more about THEM then anything.  First impression rule, I tend to hit back with it pretty hard in my head.
Don't even bother posting there. It's best to just let them say whatever and leave it be. It's just powerless, worthless opinions being vomited around as in most popular websites with a "comments" field nowadays. I've learned to ignore the idiotic comments sprouting around in such communities, as they really don't change anything, and more likely than not the people posting stupid stuff have absolutely no idea of what they're talking about anyways.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9212 on: August 19, 2014, 08:24:25 PM »
You're also comparing an MMO site to local news reporting a bank robbery...

The MMO buyers and the bank robber both share one key detail: the general public is being told [in essence] "Help us find this/these suspects in a huge pool of unrelated parties, based on very generic and non-specific details shared by literally thousands of other people!" How many people are wearing jeans and Nikes on any given day?

How many players did COX have? [rhetorical question]

The CoX buyers and the bank robber are both likely hiding nicely in plain sight, because of lack of meaningful details concerning their identity. This is a metaphor, not an actual comparing of an MMO purchase to a crime scene. Which would actually be pretty funny.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9213 on: August 19, 2014, 08:26:41 PM »
Looks like I didn't miss much, just a few Leeroy Jenkins rushing in before its time.

I'll give my weekly thanks to Ironwolf.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #9214 on: August 19, 2014, 08:29:09 PM »
The MMO buyers and the bank robber both share one key detail: the general public is being told [in essence] "Help us find this/these suspects in a huge pool of unrelated parties, based on very generic and non-specific details shared by literally thousands of other people!" How many people are wearing jeans and Nikes on any given day?

But the article is in no way insinuating "help us find the culprits"... it simply said "There is (allegedly) some negotiations going on between former players of the game and NCSoft based on these links (linking back to this thread). How is that "help us find the culprits?" Are you reading into it? Did you even read it at all?

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9215 on: August 19, 2014, 08:30:10 PM »
I, for one, blame everyone who isn't me for not being me. Shame on all of you.

That's amazingly similar to my be-all, end-all solution to traffic problems: Everybody but me, stay out of the left lane. If there's only one lane, then watch for me and pull over if I'm behind you. Simple, huh?

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9216 on: August 19, 2014, 08:30:47 PM »
This is true.  And while I was one of the angry ones at first going nuts.  After seeing everyone else's cool headedness it makes me feel a bit embarrassed that I overreacted (sorry Agge I don't like to make you put your mod hat on)
But the thing that upset isn't that he "spilled the beans" per say because as many people have mentioned it is public information.  I just felt it didn't need to be shouted from the mountain top which is exactly what Justin did.  After reading Duane's post about why he did it makes perfect sense.  He is a hungry CoHer like the rest of us just looking for some information no ill intent was meant at all.  So I apologize Duane.  There is 450+ pages of hope here making a lot of people happy which I think is great.  In many ways it is our last connection to CoH at the time.  I was just irked that Justin who after reading the forum clearly would have gotten the message of "please don't shout it from a mountain top" and then he did exactly that.  It just seemed really disrespectful to the community and Ironwolf and the new team.  Who were giving us hungry folks information we wanted to hear.  On the condition of "please keep it quiet"  and Justin at Massively just decided he would write about it turning public information that could be found if looked, into a public information being broadcast.  The team and Iron Wolf haven't posted anything that would ruin the deal.  But it still was released on trust and I feel that article broke that trust which you would think a fellow gamer would understand.  Which is kinda silly cause if he had waited until he heard the news, he would have been the first person to write either about the successful return of CoH or a valiant attempt to get it back.  But the sentiment here is correct.  It isn't a big deal, it will wash over, and NCSoft will do as they do no matter what.

This is why I love this community guys.  I can't wait to see you all in game again:)

This, you couldn't have described it better.  I feel exactly the same way.  I mean sure this is a public forum but we weren't going outside this to others.  I'm even more bothered by the responses in the massively article, they act like money is the be-all-end-all in business and negotiations and whatnot, which leaves me facepalming.  OR others even, when I tried to explain, tried to claim I don't know anything about anyone, I was facepalming more and left with the "ok this person is a wannabe, the name says it all and the attitude says more and this person doesn't know anything about the east".  I talk to people all the time from all over the place on and off, and I cannot describe how wrong those two were.  Understand, my thoughts stem from the conversations I had with people from all over the place as to how wrong the two trolls were....
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Dal

• Minion
« Reply #9217 on: August 19, 2014, 08:34:35 PM »

How many players did COX have? [rhetorical question]

The CoX buyers and the bank robber are both likely hiding nicely in plain sight, because of lack of meaningful details concerning their identity. This is a metaphor, not an actual comparing of an MMO purchase to a crime scene. Which would actually be pretty funny.
All of this bank talk makes me want to play some mayhem missions. :P

katphoenix

• Underling
« Reply #9218 on: August 19, 2014, 08:40:49 PM »
All of this bank talk makes me want to play some mayhem missions. :P

I just had that exact same thought... LOL  Man I'd love to do a Bank Mish right now!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9219 on: August 19, 2014, 08:40:59 PM »
But the article is in no way insinuating "help us find the culprits"... it simply said "There is (allegedly) some negotiations going on between former players of the game and NCSoft based on these links (linking back to this thread). How is that "help us find the culprits?" Are you reading into it? Did you even read it at all?

I don't think you're getting what I'm trying to say at all, so I'll let my prior statements stand and not go any further down this rabbit hole. That will just create more misunderstanding.

Dal: All of this bank talk makes me want to play some mayhem missions.

Dude. I want to load into a Mayhem with a Brute and blow up Every. Last. Car. on that Skyway Mayhem map. All of them. On the street. In the underground parking garage. ALL OF THEM. I will do it with my Lightning Field if nothing else. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS