Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210641 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 02:58:31 AM »
Glad to see this again.  Between everyone here and me, oh whatever, meh.  EA has acknowledged one of it's issues in hat it's one of the more disliked publishers over things like KoTR, dragon age and MAss effect 3, maybe they'll be wiser about things eh?
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 03:35:25 AM »
In their minds, negative publicity and making them look bad if the people running it do a poor job of things.

Yes, possibly - but remember it is their game and they would have final say in how it is run. IF again a big IF we can at least get them talking to us, we have made another step.

I am not fooling myself nor seeking to give false hope. Here is the thing - the TFHM stalled. So the torch must be picked up. I sat and thought long and hard about it because I do have a lot on my plate now. My grand daughter asks everytime she comes over - when is that game coming back and being able to say it is on the way would be awesome.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 10:49:08 AM »
I'm all for anything that'll get our game back. :)

Good luck and thank you for your efforts.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 12:13:43 PM »
We're with you Ironwolf. Been thinking about this a lot, seeing as NCSoft is making zip from CoX now, they just might go for leasing the game to folks they think will be able support and run the servers as well as maintain the game.  The plus is, we get out game back and NCSoft get a stipend every month or quarter.

If you are the torch wielder, its in very capable hands.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »
I like the thinking, although you would have to make it clear (somehow) that legally NCSoft would not be liable for any legal issues arising from the game being played. Maybe even settle for all-new player accounts in order to completely fire-wall their involvement.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 05:12:14 PM »
Yes, possibly - but remember it is their game and they would have final say in how it is run. IF again a big IF we can at least get them talking to us, we have made another step.

So if NCSoft would have final say pertaining to the operations they would need to allocate resources (labor) for monitoring correct?  Do we think that they would be willing to do this as it affects their bottom line $$$?  Just a thought....who knows what they are thinking now.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 04:22:27 PM by r00tb0ySlim »

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 07:52:02 PM »
Hm. I wonder how hard it'd be to recreate the game and powersets using a different engine...

I couldn't possibly comment on that.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »
As it has been said in the first part of this - if they do agree to let us run the game, I personally cannot do it alone.

There will be work required for servers (setup and admin tasks).
There will be marketing.
There will be in game support - you know getting that last guy out of the wall.

There will be lots of tasks and it will come down to do people want to give up a little time to help run those things? In Earth and Beyond they did these things and that is where I will once again ask how they do it. Now it may be donors would support the game by a monthly stipend - we need to work some of these things out especially the running of the game.

I know if I were NCSoft the very first thing I would say (if I was considering it) is where are you hosting your servers and network?
Then, how will you securely handle money?

This is why I am asking now can we anticipate questions and have solutions?

I have asked for the name of the person(s) that the original buyers were working with as those folks had the power to close the deal. Once that information is known I will send a letter of interest to them and seek to explain what we plan.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 07:59:34 PM »
So if NCSoft would have final say pertaining to the operations they would need to allocate sources (labor) for monitoring correct?  Do we think that they would be willing to do this as it affects their bottom line $$$?  Just a thought....who knows what they are thinking now.

Right now City of Heroes isn't even an afterthought.

I work for a big company and once you close the doors - it is the next big thing, then the next and so on. Hindsight is rare. Lessons learned is rare as that means someone was at fault for something. They occasionally may do that from the technical standpoint but rarely from the management or executive levels.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 05:23:59 AM »
*peeks out from around the shadows ..... looks left .... looks right .... gives Facebook-esque thumbs up, nods, and returns to lurking again*

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2014, 04:41:50 PM »

I agree, getting NCSoft talking would be a huge first step and it could lead to positive results  :)  I remain optimistic.  Thanks Ironwolf.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 06:59:46 PM »
Regardless of the current value, now that they've committed themselves to actually NOT selling the rights, chances are only an offer greater than their last asking price will get them to change their minds. Last I heard this was upwards of $16 million?
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 11:48:44 PM »
That is just awesome news, Ironwolf! I wish you every success and commend you highly for your wonderful effort! GO,MAN,GO!  I think MANY heroes just signed up behind you!  You rock! I just Love this idea and direction! Way to NOT go quietly into that good night!
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2014, 06:42:38 PM »
In their minds, negative publicity and making them look bad if the people running it do a poor job of things.
I'd say they aren't worried about negative publicity seeing that they randomly just shut down the game anyway.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2014, 10:25:08 PM »
In their minds, it wasn't random. Whatever reason that they had, they thought it was a damned good one. If someone were to revive the game and make it self-sustaining, not even successful, then that would mean that they were wrong, and the people who made the decision and gave the order would lose face.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 01:07:12 AM »
If NCSoft would agree to give us back our city, I would purchase another game from them....even if I would never play it. 

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2014, 02:25:20 AM »
In their minds, it wasn't random. Whatever reason that they had, they thought it was a damned good one. If someone were to revive the game and make it self-sustaining, not even successful, then that would mean that they were wrong, and the people who made the decision and gave the order would lose face.

It's too bad they aren't willing to do that. Both SOE and Blizzard have admitted multiple times in the past to mistakes on atleast 3 games I've played. Hell I've even seen patch rollbacks of nerfs before on a couple soe games and devs fired for making stupid decisions.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:53:59 AM by Noyjitat »

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 07:08:18 AM »
Having played a lot of EA's games they really could do good buying something that runs out of the box. They cant develop anything that works worth CRAP.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 12:55:46 PM »
Good morning - I have recieved a few emails about NCSoft kind of detailing who does what and who best to approach. In the meantime could people post here who may have relevant experience with acting as in game support.

I honestly don't see any issue gettng server hosting. Many are offering it and at reasonable rates. That is only step one, next you have to have the tech support for all the other issues. It would be very useful to also contact the gentleman hosting the old CoH boards as the support and other articles would still be very helpful.

Any ideas on how to write up an approach would be very much appreciated. The initial contact will most likely be email or possibly a letter. I am keeping this in mind as well;

There is a rhythm in the whole life of the warrior, in his thriving and declining, in his harmony and discord. Similarly, there is a rhythm in the Way of the merchant, of becoming rich and of losing one's fortune, in the rise and fall of capital. All things entail rising and falling rhythm. You must be able to discern this. In strategy there are various considerations. From the outset you must attune to your opponent, then you must learn to disconcert him. It is crucial to know the applicable rhythm and the inapplicable rhythm, and from among the large and small rhythms and the fast and slow rhythms find the relevant rhythm. You must see the rhythm of distance, and the rhythm of reversal. This is the main thing in strategy. It is especially important to understand the rhythms of reversal; otherwise your strategy will be unreliable.

Miyamoto Musashi 1645

There is a rhythm to reversal, now we try to change the minds of those in charge of the games rights. This is another chance and nothing more.

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
  • The one The only Alpha Protocol V2.9
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »
Good morning - I have recieved a few emails about NCSoft kind of detailing who does what and who best to approach. In the meantime could people post here who may have relevant experience with acting as in game support.

I honestly don't see any issue gettng server hosting. Many are offering it and at reasonable rates. That is only step one, next you have to have the tech support for all the other issues. It would be very useful to also contact the gentleman hosting the old CoH boards as the support and other articles would still be very helpful.

Any ideas on how to write up an approach would be very much appreciated. The initial contact will most likely be email or possibly a letter. I am keeping this in mind as well;

There is a rhythm in the whole life of the warrior, in his thriving and declining, in his harmony and discord. Similarly, there is a rhythm in the Way of the merchant, of becoming rich and of losing one's fortune, in the rise and fall of capital. All things entail rising and falling rhythm. You must be able to discern this. In strategy there are various considerations. From the outset you must attune to your opponent, then you must learn to disconcert him. It is crucial to know the applicable rhythm and the inapplicable rhythm, and from among the large and small rhythms and the fast and slow rhythms find the relevant rhythm. You must see the rhythm of distance, and the rhythm of reversal. This is the main thing in strategy. It is especially important to understand the rhythms of reversal; otherwise your strategy will be unreliable.

Miyamoto Musashi 1645

There is a rhythm to reversal, now we try to change the minds of those in charge of the games rights. This is another chance and nothing more.

If the case was originally that the Buyer didn't want to buy because NCSOFT wanted all rights to the game engine. Then we should make it really clear to any buyer that we contact, NCSOFT would own all rights to the engine.

A simple question though, why would they want to keep the engine? Was it in case they decided to do something with it later?
Daoc CoH and WoW