Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212822 times)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #3940 on: July 08, 2014, 11:32:57 PM »
Lots of reasons. manufacturing facilities get retooled, changes in technology to reduce prices, initial lack of demand, changes in demand by OEM's, anything could relegate a perfectly serviceable device to the scrapheap.

This happens all the time with tech. Some very sound tech gets shunted for flavor of the month because you have to have some new shiney to sell. Add in that all of these devices are meant to be disposable and it changes constantly. We really aren't meant to repair them. I had a mouse I loved and the button broke. No parts to repair and not really designed to opened without destroying it.
I got lucky on that last part.   I've got one of the mice someone linked to and the left button started getting wonky on me.  I just took it apart and added a little piece of folded paper in the right spot and it works fine now.  Something tells me it will die in the not too distant future though.   :(

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3941 on: July 08, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »

and to steal someone elses line....

Are we there yet ?
No , and if you kick the back of my seat ONE more time I'm gonna pull this car over.

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #3942 on: July 08, 2014, 11:36:32 PM »
Lots of reasons. manufacturing facilities get retooled, changes in technology to reduce prices, initial lack of demand, changes in demand by OEM's, anything could relegate a perfectly serviceable device to the scrapheap.

This happens all the time with tech. Some very sound tech gets shunted for flavor of the month because you have to have some new shiney to sell. Add in that all of these devices are meant to be disposable and it changes constantly. We really aren't meant to repair them. I had a mouse I loved and the button broke. No parts to repair and not really designed to opened without destroying it.
The fact that the one I'm using has lasted fifteen years so far says that it fails the "disposable" test, and therefore doesn't fit well with that business model.

Which is, if I'm being paranoid, part of why it's not being produced.

Of course, most of my paranoid thoughts about why CoX got closed are looking to be pretty far off-base now, so what do I know? :)  Sometimes, business is just business, and the consumers rarely have all the relevant information.

Until someone like Ironwolf starts digging.

On that note - Ironwolf, once this is all settled, you wanna go after Microsoft and see whether they're ready to sell the rights to my trackball to another company?

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3943 on: July 08, 2014, 11:39:31 PM »

Sounds like my Rocketfish wireless. I loved that mouse; the big size was great for my hand. When it stopped working, I found an exact replacement online; then, that one went south. I tried to open it, and couldn't figure out how without breaking it some more. :(
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

kierthos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3944 on: July 08, 2014, 11:42:57 PM »
If we have to remake characters, the first few I'm planning on remaking are

Brass Reactor (Rad/Rad defender)
Sundown Man (Dual Pistols/Energy or if we get I24, Dual Pistols/Martial Combat blaster)
Midnight Shield (Shield Defense/Super Strength tanker)
Doc Droyd (Robotics/Traps mastermind)

Edit:
How could I leave off
Sans Pantalones (Dual Wield/Super Reflexes scrapper)
   (His battle cry "Does anyone else feel a draft?")
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:48:36 PM by kierthos »

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #3945 on: July 08, 2014, 11:52:48 PM »
The fact that the one I'm using has lasted fifteen years so far says that it fails the "disposable" test, and therefore doesn't fit well with that business model.

Which is, if I'm being paranoid, part of why it's not being produced.

There are always outliers. You got one that last 15 years some other poor schmo got one that was nonfunctional when he opened it. I have an Icebox that has been running with only minor problems for 30 plus years and I have another that I had to have major repairs done after 3. It's really a crap shoot sometimes.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Viking Queen

• Underling
« Reply #3946 on: July 08, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
Never fear friends, I will happily re-roll the ONLY Invulnerable/SS tank that matters   :)
Champion Server 4 Life Baby !

kierthos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3947 on: July 08, 2014, 11:56:08 PM »
It doesn't seem to matter what kind of mouse I use, I seem to need a new one every 9-12 months.

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #3948 on: July 08, 2014, 11:57:30 PM »
I'm one as well  :o  The in game music is awesome (even on blue side)...can't wait to hear it while playing again!!!

Did you know someone was kind enough to convert the music files into mp3 format.  I've been listening to them for the last year and a half. 

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3949 on: July 08, 2014, 11:59:39 PM »
I have to say if I was able to login and see my characters again, I am not sure what I would do.

I would like make a new alt.

I'll do what I used to do....find the skyraiders and take it out on them....but all day long.
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #3950 on: July 09, 2014, 12:00:51 AM »
Did you know someone was kind enough to convert the music files into mp3 format.  I've been listening to them for the last year and a half. 

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html
Yes...Echoshard sent them to me via dropbox way back when.  I just miss hearing them in game  :gonk:
Thanks for the link though  :)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3951 on: July 09, 2014, 12:06:52 AM »
Honestly from day 1 I have made the assumption that we would succeed.

I never let it enter my head that we would fail. This effort is well along the path and all of the failed efforts I have data from added further information on how to proceed the next time. If this one fails - did I mention 3 other studios contacted me? This will be done by either this effort or another one.

I have zero doubt in it happening as contrary to what may have floated at one point, NCSoft is open to talks. The problem is it is a HUGE company and you have to find the right guy to get in the door. We have that guy and it is in his hands. Outside of the first Paragon buyout attempt they did not have the main contact. NCSoft is huge and mainly impersonal, what happened with the first effort and people involved is highly  unlikely to impact this effort with different folks.

I just wanted to say that this belief is exactly why it's going to succeed. For those that frequent the forums often, about May last year, I wrote about how faith can, well, move mountains. Well, big faith can move mountains.

And I think it's safe to say @Ironwolf has big faith! Whether it be in himself or some greater power, he's got big faith! (that's a good thing, I'd say)
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3952 on: July 09, 2014, 12:08:43 AM »
Never fear friends, I will happily re-roll the ONLY Invulnerable/SS tank that matters   :)

Phew!  I was worried :)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #3953 on: July 09, 2014, 12:16:09 AM »
I have to say if I was able to login and see my characters again, I am not sure what I would do.

Assuming the game goes live with i24 i will also be making a new alt whether or not character data is retained. Because there are certain characters i so badly wanted to make and a few to remake when the new sets came out.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

DragonCommando

• Minion
« Reply #3954 on: July 09, 2014, 12:17:18 AM »
The first character I'd rebuild would be my Kinetics / Radiation Blast Defender.
After all, everyone knows that things go (and die) quicker with Kins.
Mine will be a Sonic/Kin corr, cause "if everyone knows that things go (and die) quicker with Kins", Sonic just makes it faster ;)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3955 on: July 09, 2014, 12:20:37 AM »
I just wanted to say that this belief is exactly why it's going to succeed. For those that frequent the forums often, about May last year, I wrote about how faith can, well, move mountains. Well, big faith can move mountains.

And I think it's safe to say @Ironwolf has big faith! Whether it be in himself or some greater power, he's got big faith! (that's a good thing, I'd say)

I am Tsalagi (cherokee) and while I don't believe as many do - I do believe there are things greater than yourself and you can choose to allow them to guide you. You can ignore them to your peril, but I have seen so much in 55 years that I cannot possibly imagine some of the things that happen are random. This is not the place for more but you can feel the tidal wave of excitement. We all feel it.

It's called hope.

We know the road ahead is not easy - but we have a road, we still live.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3956 on: July 09, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »

I would play my main for sure.  After sitting at my disk for an hour with the biggest dumbest grin on my face.

UnitFour

• Underling
« Reply #3957 on: July 09, 2014, 12:28:37 AM »
I am Tsalagi (cherokee) and while I don't believe as many do - I do believe there are things greater than yourself and you can choose to allow them to guide you. You can ignore them to your peril, but I have seen so much in 55 years that I cannot possibly imagine some of the things that happen are random. This is not the place for more but you can feel the tidal wave of excitement. We all feel it.

It's called hope.

We know the road ahead is not easy - but we have a road, we still live.

I've been waiting to use this quote!

"You are wrong. If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I've seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me." - The Nameless One, Planescape:Torment

doctorlurkin

• Boss
« Reply #3958 on: July 09, 2014, 12:32:27 AM »
This thread is getting harder and harder to keep up on!

I want back in my City. I want to run mayhem missions. I want to do Fire Alarm in Steel Canyon. I want to fly through the air, to visit ancient times, to give Mot a good swift kick in the behind.  I want to see my Demons perform the air guitar emote (I couldn't stop laughing the first time I saw that). I want to Trick or Treat.  I just want to play.

I have more to say but it's kinda of a jumbled mess right now.

Also, as so many before me have done, THANK YOU Ironwolf. Your effort has breathed a new life into the community.
I'm not really a doctor, but I've played one on Television!

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3959 on: July 09, 2014, 12:32:35 AM »
I am Tsalagi (cherokee)

I'm Aztec on my mom's side and Hopi on my dad's side. But culturally I'm Mexican-American, yay! Just another mongrel mestizo. An old white guy once called me a "Smart Mexican" for recognizing the First National Confederate flag that was on his shirt.  You know, 'cause of all that conquistador blood. :roll: