Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7211517 times)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #4000 on: July 09, 2014, 07:04:02 AM »
As long as it isn't too dense.  A lot of us stayed off of Freedom and Virtue for a reason.   ;)
If it does come down to playing on crowded servers, make use of the hidden function.   I played on Freedom and would often do that when I felt like being alone.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4001 on: July 09, 2014, 07:35:51 AM »
If it does come down to playing on crowded servers, make use of the hidden function.   I played on Freedom and would often do that when I felt like being alone.

Another reason might well have been because too many player-characters on the screen would bog down some folks' computers and create lag at the least, if not making them go full-on slideshow. It happened to me during invasions if I got within view of where the main action was.

It's all those costume-piece options, I figure; the program has to track every choice each player has made. Games like GW1, with simpler costume creators, never did that to me.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4002 on: July 09, 2014, 07:58:03 AM »

I recall certain servers being red on event weekends.  Infinity, Triumph and Exhalted were quieter and not as hard to get onto.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #4003 on: July 09, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »
Another reason might well have been because too many player-characters on the screen would bog down some folks' computers and create lag at the least, if not making them go full-on slideshow. It happened to me during invasions if I got within view of where the main action was.

It's all those costume-piece options, I figure; the program has to track every choice each player has made. Games like GW1, with simpler costume creators, never did that to me.
That's among the reasons... one of the other ones, has more to do with optimal use of the hardware.  CoH wasn't exactly built to run as efficiently as possible, from what I hear.  One of the issues with the state of the code, from my understanding, was that there were a lot of layers built on top of other things, and kludging things together for graphics was among those things.  So, while a game like GW may have simpler costumes, it ALSO has much better graphics in general (based on all the screenshots I've seen anyway).

Yeah, I purposefully played on the third most populous server (well, some sources say that, others say that was Infinity), but I loved Justice.  It had just the right amount of folks to be active and easy to team on, but small enough that I didn't feel crowded or have unimaginable issues with names.  It also had a very nice collection of server channels that nearly everyone used, so it was pretty easy to get stuff together.

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #4004 on: July 09, 2014, 08:57:43 AM »
Oh hey, VK is alive. 4chan wants to talk to you. They think you're internet dead or something. Did that teamup with Demon Man fall through, or what?

/tangent.

So anyhow, Facebook is still exploding, and players are coming out of everywhere. I'm thinking when the game comes back, Virtue at least is going to be almost as it was.

Not dead, just suffering from chronic joint pain and dickish housemates killing my creative urges with arguments and construction that takes four times as long as it should.

I've got a large pile of things I need to write, and an absence of useable time in which to write them, alas.

But hopefully I'll have a DM collab out this month and another story or two.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4005 on: July 09, 2014, 10:17:42 AM »

Well your character is still visible.

Gamerchamp

• Come from the Land Down
  • Lieutenant
  • City of Heroes/Villains
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4006 on: July 09, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
Holy flipping maple syrup pancakes page 201 already.

I was starting to think we got the game back already I get back from a show in the city and boom about 15 - 16 pages I got so excited hehe. :P
@Str8Dumpin
Str8Dumpin Level 50 War Mace/Fiery Aura Tanker
Str8Away Level 50 Fire Control/Radiation Emission Controller
Str8Killer Level 50 Spines/Invulnerability Scrapper
Str8Ninja Level 50 Energy Melee/Ninjitsu Stalker

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4007 on: July 09, 2014, 11:24:48 AM »
Never fear friends, I will happily re-roll the ONLY Invulnerable/SS tank that matters   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Z0tbg6Phs

?

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4008 on: July 09, 2014, 11:29:41 AM »

That used to happen to me too. Heck, a costume contest in Atlas would do it if enough people showed up (Virtue represent!). One of the things I found helped the most was turning off the option to send buff numbers. You know those little power icons up under the HP bar, that you could right click and get info from? Apparently, in order to get the numbers right, each client would send that info to everyone else nearby. So if there were a lot of people in one place, and especially if they had a lot of powers active all at once (like toggles and buffs), the lag went up just from the sheer amount of data that every single client had to send to every other client there.

On the plus side, the old laptop I used to play on crashed back at Halloween, and I've picked up a much better one since. I'm looking forward to finally seeing what Ultra Mode looks like!  :D

/e holdtorch

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4009 on: July 09, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »

I always figured it was the power effects -- those damn ice shields and orbiting rocks and such
(I hated power effects that changed the look of my character)
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Happily Married

• ABSOLUTELY!!!1ONE
  • Minion
« Reply #4010 on: July 09, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »
As long as it isn't too dense.  A lot of us stayed off of Freedom and Virtue for a reason.   ;)

Amen! GUARDIANITES UNITE!
@Happily Married
   (aka - Tennessee Bonfire, Capt Mercury, Mister Guardian)

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #4011 on: July 09, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »
I enjoyed my time on Virtue.  It was surprisingly balanced, i found.  It wasn't anywhere near as troll heavy as what I'd find in CO for sure.  I avoided freedom, but then honestly I just enjoyed playing on virtue.

Victory was enjoyably dysfunctional...  ;D
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

SpectaPhantom

• Minion
  • Ghost of Living Past
« Reply #4012 on: July 09, 2014, 12:45:28 PM »
I always figured it was the power effects -- those damn ice shields and orbiting rocks and such
(I hated power effects that changed the look of my character)

I've always wanted an ice armor toon but never got around to it for that very reason. It's also why I'm gonna retool my stone/ss to prob wp/ or may tube fire. I dunno yet.
Triumph Search and Rescue - TSAR Deputy Chief
"Heroes Helping Heroes"

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #4013 on: July 09, 2014, 12:45:48 PM »
Amen! GUARDIANITES UNITE!

Raises hand. I'm here!
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #4014 on: July 09, 2014, 12:55:15 PM »
It breaks immersion to see someone else using your name, if you're a hardcore RPer, at least for me. Let's just say I'll make it happen by hook or by crook.

Yes, just like it's unrealistic for Stan to happen across someone else named Stan. /eyeroll.

Benchpresser

• Minion
« Reply #4015 on: July 09, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »
If the account data is recovered/returned, then the group might be forced to run all the old servers temporarily till everyone can consolidate.  That may well lead to angst due to "why is our server getting killed but Freedom/Virtue/X staying!"

In a way... it might be better not to recover the data, that way we can start fresh with say 3-4 new server shards (5 might be the limit).

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #4016 on: July 09, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »
If the account data is recovered/returned, then the group might be forced to run all the old servers temporarily till everyone can consolidate.  That may well lead to angst due to "why is our server getting killed but Freedom/Virtue/X staying!"

In a way... it might be better not to recover the data, that way we can start fresh with say 3-4 new server shards (5 might be the limit).
I mostly liked Freedom (it had good and bad days), but I really wouldn't mind moving to a consolidated server if Freedom wasn't brought back online.  I had an account on Liberty as well, but that server always seemed dead.  For me, at this point I'll be happy with any available server  :D

Happily Married

• ABSOLUTELY!!!1ONE
  • Minion
« Reply #4017 on: July 09, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »
I mostly liked Freedom (it had good and bad days), but I really wouldn't mind moving to a consolidated server if Freedom wasn't brought back online.  I had an account on Liberty as well, but that server always seemed dead.  For me, at this point I'll be happy with any available server  :D

Agreed.
@Happily Married
   (aka - Tennessee Bonfire, Capt Mercury, Mister Guardian)

Hobgoblin Steve

• Underling
« Reply #4018 on: July 09, 2014, 01:08:31 PM »
I enjoyed my time on Virtue.  It was surprisingly balanced, i found.  It wasn't anywhere near as troll heavy as what I'd find in CO for sure.  I avoided freedom, but then honestly I just enjoyed playing on virtue.

This is how I felt as well. Virtue just felt like the right kind of people to want to play a game with. A lot of the people I played with there ended up playing other games with me as well - in the end it felt like a tight knit community that I happened to find my way into.

[long time lurker, first time poster]

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #4019 on: July 09, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
In MMOs I generally prefer an *extremely* well populated server, because I rely on the economy to provide for me much of what I need to collect for my minimax builds.