Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210325 times)

Five Iron

• Underling
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #4020 on: July 09, 2014, 01:17:50 PM »
First time posting here, so here are a few of the vitals:

Played CoH for about 7 years.
Global handle was @phillon.
Home server was Infinity.
Toward the end I mained as a Peacebringer
Part of the Paragon University Archeology Department (PUAD) super group.

Like most folks here I've endured that numbness that set in after that dark day in November. The only game that has eased the pain for me was TF2. When I came across a random tweet that hinted at the possibility of my beloved CoH's return, I didn't know what to think.

Since the shut down I've only occasionally lurked various forums. At times I would watch old videos on YouTube.  No lie, doing so hurt. It was easier to just keep my distance from all of this than to chase the wind.

But I'm hearing things like 'one signature away' and things like this. I won't let myself get caught up in the rush of emotions associated with this potential. Not yet. The shutdown shook me fiercely. I don't want to go through that again. 

I have to ask, is this real?  I've gone through some of this thread and it's so reminiscent of the old days. I want it to be true. I so want it to be true. Please let this be true.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:23:19 PM by Five Iron »

Benchpresser

• Minion
« Reply #4021 on: July 09, 2014, 01:20:16 PM »
I mostly liked Freedom (it had good and bad days), but I really wouldn't mind moving to a consolidated server if Freedom wasn't brought back online.  I had an account on Liberty as well, but that server always seemed dead.  For me, at this point I'll be happy with any available server  :D

See I was a die-hard Liberty denizen... to the point that I had my 3 accounts just to stay on Liberty :)  But yes... consolidating down would not be bad at all... I always thought one of the charms of CoH was the fact that different servers developed very distinct "personalities".

Benchpresser

• Minion
« Reply #4022 on: July 09, 2014, 01:23:58 PM »

Like most folks here I've endured that numbness that set in after that dark day in November. The only game that has eased the pain for me was TF2. When I came across a random tweet that hinted at the possibility of my beloved CoH's return, I didn't know what to think.

Since the shut down I've only occasionally lurked various forums. At time I would watch old videos on YouTube.  No lie, doing so hurt. It was easier to just keep my distance from all of this than to chase the wind.

But I'm hearing things like 'one signature away' and things like this. I won't let myself get caught up in the rush of emotions associated with this potential. Not yet. The shutdown shook me fiercely. I don't want to go through that again. 

I have to ask, is this real?  I've gone through some of this thread and it's so reminiscent of the old days. I want it to be true. I so want it to be true. Please let this be true.

Obviously nothing can be official till it's all signed and done... but yes... the effort and the deal (ongoing) is real....

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #4023 on: July 09, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »
Amen! GUARDIANITES UNITE!

Here! Here! :)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4024 on: July 09, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
<Gulp>
I hadn't even thought about how servers would be handled.

I know each server seemed to have its own ...flavor, but I think fewer servers would be better in the short run, anyway. All depends on how much traffic the server can handle, I guess.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Benchpresser

• Minion
« Reply #4025 on: July 09, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
More than that... how many can the new group financially support?  Remember... with Exalted we had 12.... somehow I doubt this new group will want to put out the capital to run all 12... not if they plan to develop CoH2... like I said, 3-5 may be best for the size of the community at relaunch?

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #4026 on: July 09, 2014, 01:40:57 PM »
If the account data is recovered/returned, then the group might be forced to run all the old servers temporarily till everyone can consolidate.  That may well lead to angst due to "why is our server getting killed but Freedom/Virtue/X staying!"

In a way... it might be better not to recover the data, that way we can start fresh with say 3-4 new server shards (5 might be the limit).

The new 5?:
Resurgence
Renaissance
Resurrection
Restoration
Rebirth

Amen! GUARDIANITES UNITE!

Ooh, me!  Me!  Pick me!  I'm steak!!

Happily Married

• ABSOLUTELY!!!1ONE
  • Minion
« Reply #4027 on: July 09, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »
The new 5?:
Resurgence
Renaissance
Resurrection
Restoration
Rebirth

That a girl!
@Happily Married
   (aka - Tennessee Bonfire, Capt Mercury, Mister Guardian)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4028 on: July 09, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
More than that... how many can the new group financially support?  Remember... with Exalted we had 12.... somehow I doubt this new group will want to put out the capital to run all 12... not if they plan to develop CoH2... like I said, 3-5 may be best for the size of the community at relaunch?

The way the servers work, the hardware needed for 12 shards isn't much more than that for 1, especially if you virtualize the dbservers like paragon did.

The hardware and investment needed is directly proportional to the number of active players. How many shards to break the game into only really affects player interaction, making it more of a social / management decision rather than a technical one.

Benchpresser

• Minion
« Reply #4029 on: July 09, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »
The new 5?:
Resurgence
Renaissance
Resurrection
Restoration
Rebirth

I was thinking more:

1)Reborn
2) Legacy
3) Reformed
5) Reclaimed
5) Revenge (the villain server  :) )

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4030 on: July 09, 2014, 01:54:24 PM »
In MMOs I generally prefer an *extremely* well populated server, because I rely on the economy to provide for me much of what I need to collect for my minimax builds.

In CoH the markets were always cross-server; every hero could buy and sell with every other hero, regardless of server, and the same for villains. Then when Going Rogue launched, the markets merged and factions could trade with each other too. So your marketing wouldn't be even slightly affected by which server you picked. (Unless the new team deliberately changed it to be isolated for some weird reason.)

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Auction_House

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #4031 on: July 09, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »
I was thinking more:

1)Reborn
2) Legacy
3) Reformed
5) Reclaimed

I love the 5th one!

edit:  you've got an 'L' in there with your 'R's...this bothers my OCD...   ;D

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #4032 on: July 09, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »
The new 5?:
Resurgence
Renaissance
Resurrection
Restoration
Rebirth

I like that!

I was thinking more:

1)Reborn
2) Legacy
3) Reformed
5) Reclaimed

Those too!

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #4033 on: July 09, 2014, 02:00:52 PM »
In CoH the markets were always cross-server; every hero could buy and sell with every other hero, regardless of server, and the same for villains. Then when Going Rogue launched, the markets merged and factions could trade with each other too. So your marketing wouldn't be even slightly affected by which server you picked. (Unless the new team deliberately changed it to be isolated for some weird reason.)

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Auction_House

I've been in other MMOs too long - I forgot about that! Still, would still want to be in a highly populated server to be able to find easy pickup groups for radio and newspaper missions, for when I don't want to solo...  that and easy sewers for the first 10 levels or so...   and Ourorbos friends... etc...

Benchpresser

• Minion
« Reply #4034 on: July 09, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »
I love the 5th one!

You're right.... how about
1) Reborn
2) Remembrance
3) Reformed
4) Reclaimed
5) Revenge (the villain server :)  )

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4035 on: July 09, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »

Just pronounce them all like Elmer Fudd, and you'll be fine. Here:

Weborn
Wegacy
Weformed
Wecwaimed
Wevenge

See? No problem!  ;D

Myself, I'd go with something more like:

Resurgence
Unstoppable
Titan
Wildcard
Pheonix

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4036 on: July 09, 2014, 02:10:02 PM »

Since the shut down I've only occasionally lurked various forums. At times I would watch old videos on YouTube.  No lie, doing so hurt. It was easier to just keep my distance from all of this than to chase the wind.

It is real in the sense that a team is working with NCSoft to purchase the game and associated IP. They do intend to restore the original game if it is possible (it appears to be) - what we don't know is whether the character data is still intact. The account data is extremely unlikely - basically no and that may be due to legal issues with handing over financial data to a game closed for nearly 2 years. The time period for the sale is likely within the next 2 months unless they hit an issue that slows it down.

What kinds of things might they be discussing?
Conditions of sale.
NCSoft will want to have their logo and likely the Cryptic logo on the game still.
NCSoft will likely want assurances of notice and conditions for any future sale of the game - again their logo will be on it.
The new owners will want to make sure they are carefully getting everything they need as well. You can imagine if they have to come back to the table later and say oh - we missed buying this vital part of the game - it could be an expensive mistake. Logic would dictate that the structure of the deal must be very carefully thought out and negotiated.

Yes, it is a real thing and it is proceeding, carefully.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4037 on: July 09, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
I've been in other MMOs too long - I forgot about that! Still, would still want to be in a highly populated server to be able to find easy pickup groups for radio and newspaper missions, for when I don't want to solo...  that and easy sewers for the first 10 levels or so...   and Ourorbos friends... etc...

Yep. You totally want a high pop server for those things, for sure.

Myself, I found RL kept me from doing much teaming anyway. So I might think about a lower pop place, just to cut down on lag during peak times. Of course, I *like* teaming when I get to, so probably not, hehe.

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #4038 on: July 09, 2014, 02:11:12 PM »
You're right.... how about
1) Reborn
2) Remembrance
3) Reformed
4) Reclaimed
5) Revenge (the villain server :)  )

I like!

Resurgence
Unstoppable
Titan
Wildcard
Pheonix

I like those, too!  I think the main thing is to not pick and choose which of the old gets discarded (if they need to be consolidated at all...I was listening, CW).  I would miss Guardian, though.

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4039 on: July 09, 2014, 02:37:54 PM »
I just had the worst, terrible dream.

CoH was brought back, but instead of it being brought back to it's former glory the new devs basically kept the name and turned it in to a microtransaction haven casual game with overly cartoony graphics and forced movie ads.  "You have run out of inspirations for today, unlock 10 for only $0.99!"  "You have died, you may wait 5:49:32 or you can use an awaken for $4.99!"