Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210284 times)

okami

• Minion
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #4060 on: July 09, 2014, 03:36:12 PM »
As far as the "Server name game" goes, what if the new names reference the old ones, sometimes in a somewhat roundabout way?
Protector -> Defender

There's a Champions Online joke in there that wouldn't be appropriate for young audiences.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4061 on: July 09, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »
There is a way around the name issue that we had it in a game called Horizons when they merged servers to start with if two people had the same name when you first logged in with that toon your name displayed Hypnosis (Pinnacle) would be an example then they have an option to re-name or leave as is if they need to merge servers.

That is one option not pretty but could be worse

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #4062 on: July 09, 2014, 03:42:59 PM »
I don't know about South Korea but here in the US account information is sold all the time. Selling people's data is big business, no legal repercussions to worry about.

Now since they had customers from around the world and laws vary I could see where they might have legal issues providing the customer data for those customers but selling the data is nothing most of the time.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Benchpresser

• Minion
« Reply #4063 on: July 09, 2014, 03:44:36 PM »
Found your problem.

agreed, but usually the group is good natured...

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4064 on: July 09, 2014, 03:55:56 PM »
Peeking in the thread again.  Just saying, "Hi."  :)  Waiting patiently!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4065 on: July 09, 2014, 03:57:15 PM »
From what I understand- even if NCSoft has all account data and character data, there may be no way to "relink" the 2.  Now, it may be possible to get the same company that ran the store to run it again, then it would just be a matter of the player being able to prove they are who they are and that way the company can take the player's purchases and add them to a new account.. but that is likely what is being discussed/explored before the deal goes through. 

Several people on a few CoH Facebook groups are yelling at me that they agreed to the EULA so everything should be fine.... but I keep reminding them that financial data was NEVER part of the EULA.... that would be insane!

The old game was closed. NCSoft may not legally have been able to retain some of the information past a certain point. The EULA stopped being valid when you could not log into the game as that was when you agreed to the terms. It isn't certain yet what the team can get.

The data for the game may be a snapshot - disk image and not a set of DVD's you can just load onto a server. We may not have all of the game code except this disk image that can be loaded in and ported off. We may not have all of the tools that were built to edit the game. Honestly, i posted a few times on Facebook but because of the nature of its interface it was a nightmare to keep up with. They also just appear to follow whatever rumor blows in and not follow this thread.

It makes no sense to try and keep up with all of this stuff since I do have a full time job and a new house to work on! I reference this site and thread and say that here is where you get information. One of the team leads actually said that the Facebook folks appear to just be setting themselves up for disappointment as they take rumor for fact.

I have recieved from some sources that the character data is there and that they have an inside source at NCSoft who has all the stuff gathered together. This might be true or just an elborate trolling attempt. It is being investigated but it is NOT confirmed. I do speculate here but I also tell you when I do and don't have facts. I am in contact with the 2 leads on the team and the PR person - at this stage we all agree until there is a deal - keep it encouraging but also realistic.

I ran a little ahead reading into an email a bit too much and while it is technically one signature away from a deal - the conditions stand in the way of that signature. They have to hash out who gets what and for how much. The 2 devs I have spoken to directly say what the condition of the game is in - is secondary to getting the framework for the conditions worked out. They have to get it right and are taking care to do so.

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #4066 on: July 09, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »
As far as the "Server name game" goes, what if the new names reference the old ones, sometimes in a somewhat roundabout way?
As another thought, how about naming the servers after the Surviving Eight (Statesman, Sister Psyche, Manticore, Positron, Numina, Citadel, Back Alley Brawler, Synapse)? Thought that's assuming they would have to be changed or it even would make sense to do so. Some people identify pretty strongly with their pet server.
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4067 on: July 09, 2014, 04:05:48 PM »
agreed, but usually the group is good natured...

Unless iron wolf types it, don't believe it.  Try not to feed the trolls, doomsayers or pie in the sky optimists which is pretty much the whole internet.

Achimrst

• Underling
« Reply #4068 on: July 09, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »
I am just excited anything is happening at this point! Ty for the update!!!

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4069 on: July 09, 2014, 04:08:34 PM »

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #4070 on: July 09, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
As another thought, how about naming the servers after the Surviving Eight (Statesman, Sister Psyche, Manticore, Positron, Numina, Citadel, Back Alley Brawler, Synapse)? Thought that's assuming they would have to be changed or it even would make sense to do so. Some people identify pretty strongly with their pet server.
Personally I think all of the Surviving Eight are cool, but it just made me think of the Justice League and how no one would want to be on "Aquaman".

Just think of how busy the Batman server would be.

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #4071 on: July 09, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »
The old game was closed. NCSoft may not legally have been able to retain some of the information past a certain point. The EULA stopped being valid when you could not log into the game as that was when you agreed to the terms. It isn't certain yet what the team can get.

Depends on the laws in their country. In the US they can pretty much retain and sell everything. Selling people's personal information is a multibillion dollar industry.

Now whether they kept the information in a usable state or not and whether the laws in South Korea permit it is another matter.

Not arguing the point here. Just making sure people know, at least those in the US, even if they sever ties with a company doesn't mean that company isn't still using their information and making money off it.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #4072 on: July 09, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »

The data for the game may be a snapshot - disk image and not a set of DVD's you can just load onto a server. We may not have all of the game code except this disk image that can be loaded in and ported off. We may not have all of the tools that were built to edit the game. Honestly, i posted a few times on Facebook but because of the nature of its interface it was a nightmare to keep up with. They also just appear to follow whatever rumor blows in and not follow this thread.

It makes no sense to try and keep up with all of this stuff since I do have a full time job and a new house to work on! I reference this site and thread and say that here is where you get information. One of the team leads actually said that the Facebook folks appear to just be setting themselves up for disappointment as they take rumor for fact.

I have recieved from some sources that the character data is there and that they have an inside source at NCSoft who has all the stuff gathered together. This might be true or just an elborate trolling attempt. It is being investigated but it is NOT confirmed. I do speculate here but I also tell you when I do and don't have facts. I am in contact with the 2 leads on the team and the PR person - at this stage we all agree until there is a deal - keep it encouraging but also realistic.

I ran a little ahead reading into an email a bit too much and while it is technically one signature away from a deal - the conditions stand in the way of that signature. They have to hash out who gets what and for how much. The 2 devs I have spoken to directly say what the condition of the game is in - is secondary to getting the framework for the conditions worked out. They have to get it right and are taking care to do so.

I think most adult minds understand what you are saying. It's process. it has to be gone through. There is a lot of money at stake and people do and should be cautious when that happens. Look at 2007 and see what happens when you don't.

Because of the way Facebook displays things it is hopeless to keep it up to date unless you do nothing but post and repost the same things in each and every thread. I was attempting it myself but the amount of non comprehension and willful disbelief was too high as was the time commitment to do so.  The return was too low.

So what you are describing is that both sides have an statement of intent to move ahead. This is important because it ties both parties to the deal, making it harder for a third party to interfere.

Final conditions must be sorted out. Once both sides have agreed, the NCSoft team will take it to the person who can sign off on the deal. He will ask them if it looks clean and if they say yes, then he will sign.

Likely, this document will stipulate terms of payment and the timetable for assets to be surrendered.  Assuming that everything is as both sides described in the initial and final negotiations, the deal will be done.

If it isn't, they will have to reopen negotiations to to adjust the deal. This can add months so let's hope that isn't necessary. But this is exactly why you take your time during the initial due diligence phase of the negotiations.

This sounds to me like a standard acquisition with a motivated buyer and seller. Technical details aside, this sounds very doable from a business standpoint (with caveat that I have no access to any details and base all this on SOP)
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #4073 on: July 09, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »
Bump  ;D

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4074 on: July 09, 2014, 04:19:07 PM »
I think most adult minds understand what you are saying. It's process. it has to be gone through. There is a lot of money at stake and people do and should be cautious when that happens. Look at 2007 and see what happens when you don't.

Because of the way Facebook displays things it is hopeless to keep it up to date unless you do nothing but post and repost the same things in each and every thread. I was attempting it myself but the amount of non comprehension and willful disbelief was too high as was the time commitment to do so.  The return was too low.

So what you are describing is that both sides have an statement of intent to move ahead. This is important because it ties both parties to the deal, making it harder for a third party to interfere.

Final conditions must be sorted out. Once both sides have agreed, the NCSoft team will take it to the person who can sign off on the deal. He will ask them if it looks clean and if they say yes, then he will sign.

Likely, this document will stipulate terms of payment and the timetable for assets to be surrendered.  Assuming that everything is as both sides described in the initial and final negotiations, the deal will be done.

If it isn't, they will have to reopen negotiations to to adjust the deal. This can add months so let's hope that isn't necessary. But this is exactly why you take your time during the initial due diligence phase of the negotiations.

This sounds to me like a standard acquisition with a motivated buyer and seller. Technical details aside, this sounds very doable from a business standpoint (with caveat that I have no access to any details and base all this on SOP)

It is in the hands of the last person at NCSoft that needs to sign now.
They are just all carefully working out all the conditions.

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #4075 on: July 09, 2014, 04:25:30 PM »
no one would want to be on "Aquaman".
Which would that even be? Citadel?
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4076 on: July 09, 2014, 04:28:42 PM »

TF TIEM NAO???????????

:P

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #4077 on: July 09, 2014, 04:29:01 PM »
Bump  ;D

I vote this for the most unnecessary action EVER. ;p

Perplexite

• New Efforts # 6,000!
  • Minion
« Reply #4078 on: July 09, 2014, 04:29:15 PM »

>.< Honestly, this is so nervewrecking. Who needs football or whatever when one can log onto here?
@.Q on Union Server

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4079 on: July 09, 2014, 04:34:09 PM »
This is awesome, I know I have said this before. I have been sending good thoughts to the new buyers.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.