Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210110 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #9120 on: August 19, 2014, 01:45:13 AM »
Rule 2b: You do not ask anyone in the media to corroborate your information on Fight Club.

Already a moron over there saying that spamming NCSoft wouldn't harm the negotiations even though it has in the past.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9121 on: August 19, 2014, 01:45:24 AM »
Most action/fantasy movies are made today for an audience with an ever-shrinking attention span. They have to have cheesy CG and explosions every 5 minutes or their ADD kicks in. Storytelling is almost dead at this point. Not to mention there are so many young actors now that are just so completely nondescript and unremarkable. The acting is just as accountable as the writing.

And then there's Marvel.

Thank god for Marvel.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #9122 on: August 19, 2014, 01:48:53 AM »
Rule 2b: You do not ask anyone in the media to corroborate your information on Fight Club.
Internet happens.

I'm more frustrated at the assumptions arising from how the article was written, like that anyone involved is automatically an amateur.  I don't know who is involved, but I daresay that to get to the table with NCSoft one would need some credentials.

We're not a secret here.  I just dislike that the message that is going out seems to be a variation on, "Amateur hour in Paragon City."  It's disrespectful to the team, and disrespectful to NCSoft.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9123 on: August 19, 2014, 01:51:19 AM »
Internet happens.

I'm more frustrated at the assumptions arising from how the article was written, like that anyone involved is automatically an amateur.  I don't know who is involved, but I daresay that to get to the table with NCSoft one would need some credentials.

We're not a secret here.  I just dislike that the message that is going out seems to be a variation on, "Amateur hour in Paragon City."  It's disrespectful to the team, and disrespectful to NCSoft.

There is already someone commenting who thinks it's ok to spam NcSoft and that money is the only thing that matters over there.  Yeah, see what I'm saying?
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9124 on: August 19, 2014, 01:52:38 AM »
Duane, you were trying to get information - that is how we got this far - people didn't stop looking for a way to get the game back.

Let's put this in perspective, this thread started with me getting some information on the earlier efforts. I took this information and started trying to find a way to move forward with getting the original game back. I contacted every studio in Michigan, I contacted the University of Michigan and Michigan State. I started thinking on who would know what NCSoft would allow and contacted Chris Chung.

If you look at this I spoke to a LOT of people including everyone here. Anyone in that chain could have done as you did. This didn't start as an adventure it just became one. Ordinary people started doing things that were extraordinary and taking on responsibility because someone had to.

I will never attack someone for trying to get more information. That is how this all started. Thank you Duane for wanting the game back. Don't be shy and welcome aboard.

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #9125 on: August 19, 2014, 02:08:11 AM »
There is already someone commenting who thinks it's ok to spam NcSoft and that money is the only thing that matters over there.  Yeah, see what I'm saying?
Internet happens.

okami

• Minion
« Reply #9126 on: August 19, 2014, 02:12:55 AM »
On asking questions, if I thought my friend might have murdered a prostitute I wouldn't go asking the police if they knew about an altercation at $MOTEL on $DATETIME or if they had any recent Jane Does in the morgue.

Who you ask is just important as what you ask and what you don't ask. All of it may impart knowledge you don't want getting around.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9127 on: August 19, 2014, 02:29:08 AM »
I like waffles better their little square pockets are perfect for syrup. :P

see thats what im talking about.. thats why I like Waffles !!!

SemanticAntics

• Minion
  • Formerly "AllYourBase"
« Reply #9128 on: August 19, 2014, 02:41:46 AM »
Why is NCSoft so gun shy??  Any company would be *thrilled* to get this level of excitement and interest on a possibly resurrected IP.  I don't understand why everyone is so afraid that NCSoft will see all of our eagerness and be scared away from selling the property.  It doesn't make sense to me at all.

Understanding why isn't important. What is important is simply understanding that this is the case. Call it a cultural difference, or what have you. Unwanted publicity has scared them off before, and we don't want to risk doing that again.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9129 on: August 19, 2014, 02:51:03 AM »

see thats what im talking about.. thats why I like Waffles !!!

All I have to say is Strawberry Syrup.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #9130 on: August 19, 2014, 02:54:59 AM »
All I know is one day, ONE DAY. I WILL make my elec/ice controller. That's all I know..... :P

And when that day comes, I'll have waffles with strawberry syrup.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9131 on: August 19, 2014, 03:05:15 AM »
 Im going to do what I did yesterday.. keep working on Ultimate Mids Builds...

One thing that I find quite troublesome.. I managed to figure out how to get a fair amount of S/L defense on my Fire Tank.. now I just cannot find a reason thematically WHY he would have it..

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #9132 on: August 19, 2014, 03:15:51 AM »
I took great delight in playing with my kids, running behind them with an Empathy Defender and doing my darndest to keep them out of permadebt (is there anything more reckless than a ten-year-old boy playing a Fire Blaster?).

Ask again after I get my 5 year old on the game ;) I would love to jump on my tank and have us all team up sometime. I think it would make a good story.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #9133 on: August 19, 2014, 03:20:42 AM »
Understanding why isn't important. What is important is simply understanding that this is the case. Call it a cultural difference, or what have you. Unwanted publicity has scared them off before, and we don't want to risk doing that again.

^ Right there. That's the point I drive home til I'm blue in the face. It literally is a cultural difference. In this case, it's a corporate culture. It's very different in Asia. We play their game or we get nothing. We just have to grin and bear it for the time being.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

MagnitudeZero

• Underling
« Reply #9134 on: August 19, 2014, 03:28:18 AM »
I had a second printing first issue -- sold it in the early 90's for a few hundred.  Never a big Turtles fan, I just thought "oh that's a pretty cute/funny riff on Miller and the Xmen -- with funny-animal Turtles ha ha, why not" and bought the first issue (one of the vast flood of BW titles spewing into the shops at the time -- I liked "Power Play" a lot better)

I liked the Adolescent Radioactive Black-belt Hamsters, and the Geriactric Gangreen Jujitsu Gerbals.. but I guess they never got as popular.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #9135 on: August 19, 2014, 03:55:37 AM »
It's worth noting the the previous wave of publicity during the shutdown was also highly negative. While selling it now is far less likely to cause rancor than the original shutdown, there are of course people, loud people, out there who believe the shutdown was done just to piss them off out of some ebil corporate mandate to alienate customers and lose money for the chance to make them cry. They may start wailing and flailing again in NCsoft's general direction if this catches their attention. "HAY PANCAKING NCSOFT YOUR A PANCAKING BAUNCH OF PANCAKING PANCAKES WHO BETTER GIVE THE PANCAKING GAME TO ANYONE WHO WANTS IT OR ILL CALL YOU PANCAKING PANCAKES SOME MORE! PANCAKES!"
However, i don't think that's too likely to have any real effect, and i'm not too concerned that a few petty, spiteful twits who would gleefully destroy the village in order to save the village--their own pride-- will be able to screw things up.
All the accounts i've read suggested the anger that closing the game caused caught NCsoft by surprise. i don't think this time around it's going to be an issue. Still, i do hope certain people refrain from being, well, themselves for the moment, or at least that they don't notice.

I liked the Adolescent Radioactive Black-belt Hamsters
i still have issue 1 of that somewhere. So many other classic comics lost over the years, but i still have that one.  ???
So far so good. Onward and upward!

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #9136 on: August 19, 2014, 03:56:30 AM »
^ Right there. That's the point I drive home til I'm blue in the face. It literally is a cultural difference. In this case, it's a corporate culture. It's very different in Asia. We play their game or we get nothing. We just have to grin and bear it for the time being.

Again, I'm going to ask people to please not make generalizations about the "culture" of NCsoft.  For one thing, South Korea is not one hive mind of people who all act and think the same.  For another, younger people in South Korea, particularly ones in high tech companies such as software and game development, are highly Westernized.  One could just as easily say that the increased publicity will motivate NCsoft to sell the game even more.  Unless you actually know the people at NCsoft involved well enough to understand their personalities and motivations, either thought is just as valid as the other.  And even if you did, it is still a bit insulting to insinuate that their motives are so transparent and predictable.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #9137 on: August 19, 2014, 03:58:19 AM »
I liked the Adolescent Radioactive Black-belt Hamsters, and the Geriactric Gangreen Jujitsu Gerbals.. but I guess they never got as popular.
Y'see, give the turtles their due -- they were original. 

With the massive fan popularity of Frank Miller's Daredevil and the Wolverine/Japanese ninja stuff going on around Claremont/Byrne's X-men and the derivatives of this showing up EVERYWHERE because it was the hot thing -- "Teenage Mutant Ninja" summarized the universal comic fad of the moment -- and doing a funny animal book and naming it "Teenage Mutant Ninja xxxxx" was a brilliant joke -- turtles just made it funnier because no anthropomorphic funny-animal concept is inherently less like a ninja.

Because it was a good book (though not to my taste) it grew beyond the silly joke and became wildly popular.  Which then inspired desperate imitators who thought the good idea was the name -- trying to latch on to a satire of a fad and ironically making it a new fad -- thus Adolescent Radioactive Black-belt Hamsters, etc. etc. etc.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #9138 on: August 19, 2014, 03:59:00 AM »
Ah...TonyV... a resonating voice of "Don't be an Ass-ism".
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Tenthyr

• Underling
« Reply #9139 on: August 19, 2014, 06:10:50 AM »
  To Ironwolf and whomever is giving Ironwolf information: If you want something not discussed, don't put it out there for discussion.  Saying, "Guys, don't mention this elsewhere" isn't a viable safeguard against dissemination of information.  When you do post something, always expect it to be plastered on billboards and written in neon lights, and temper what you say accordingly.

And for god's sake, to the rest of you, don't get all pissed off at the messenger, that being Duane or Justin.  Duane didn't do anything most of you haven't also done, and not to put too fine a point on it, Justin was doing his job.

This. This a million times. As frustrating as it might be. From everyone's viewpoint, everyone only did what they were meant to do. Being angry at a game journalist reporting on games is... Unhelpful.

EDIT: case in point, this (part of a) post on Massively.

"For those on your forums who are confused about our process and calling our writers nasty names: At Massively, our writers do not publish independently; they are assigned news, and this piece was assigned by me to the writer on duty, who wrote it to my specifications and with the appropriate amount of skeptical framing ("allegedly," "according to") for such claims. Nothing posted here was not already intentionally visible in a public forum, and we neither broke embargo nor encouraged harassment of NCsoft by reporting on it.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:20:01 AM by Tenthyr »