Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7211141 times)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13780 on: December 23, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »
Go figure, it's something we'll need to see as the game gets closer to the port to UE4.  I'm honestly expecting to have to upgrade myself, as I only have a GTX 645(darn my keyboard, had to hit the 4 key ten times there!).  While the card runs UE3 games like mass effect and UT3 fine I do see some limits in some newer games.  Heck I still remember the core reason UT3 was as unpopular as it was; people couldn't run the game within any reasonable extent without the best hardware.  It made it on the PS3 but not on the PC.

It's something we should definitely keep in mind as the transition to UE4 comes closer to a reality for CoX.
Hmmmm....might have to move up to a 770 if they really make use of all the UE4 eye candy.  Oh darn! ;-)
What was no more, is now reborn!

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13781 on: December 23, 2014, 07:07:04 PM »
IIRC you don't need anything very special on the graphics card front to run UE4, you just don't run it on extreme settings. IIRC Nate Downes deliberately uses an old laptop for some of his testing to make sure it will run on that.

Source http://cityoftitans.com/forum/running-game-pc

Integrated AMD HD4320, being an AMD CPU.
is what he uses

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #13782 on: December 23, 2014, 07:15:56 PM »
IIRC you don't need anything very special on the graphics card front to run UE4, you just don't run it on extreme settings. IIRC Nate Downes deliberately uses an old laptop for some of his testing to make sure it will run on that.

is what he uses

Nice to hear that Nate and MWM are using older things to test the capabilities for CoT.

Knowing me, even though I might not have to, I'll upgrade my graphics card just to be able to run it on the extreme settings ;)
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #13783 on: December 23, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »
I'm developing Revival using an EVGA NVidia GTX-660 Ti FTW Edition.
So, At the very very least...Anything better than that will do fine.

I haven't done extensive testing, but I do know it runs on an old GTX-260. Our programmer's video card died, and that's what she's stuck with now.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #13784 on: December 23, 2014, 10:10:24 PM »

I haven't done extensive testing, but I do know it runs on an old GTX-260. Our programmer's video card died, and that's what she's stuck with now.

Excellent. I also know that part of what makes graphics work out is the kind of processor you're using. My brother-in-law, who works in IT, worked with me on my computer, and something he said was that upgrading the GPU is useless if you don't have the CPU to back it up. I could be totally talking out my bum, but maybe, at least so far, the stuff that's making UE more usable is actually the processing unit, rather than the graphics card itself.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13785 on: December 24, 2014, 12:50:50 AM »

is what he uses

Thats good to hear.  I honestly was worried about that :).  I just don't like playing any game with textures themselves toned down ultimately resulting in grainy unrecognizable characters that many games often do when lowering settings.  I mean I can live without some things but certainly texture quality matters to me.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13786 on: December 24, 2014, 12:51:57 AM »

Ahh, thats nice to see.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #13787 on: December 24, 2014, 01:03:09 AM »
Any processor made in the last few years (with the exception of the lowest end models) should be able to deal with their part of running a game.  The crux of the load falls on the GPU, the frame buffer of the card, and system memory.  The processor basically just keeps things moving along as they should.  I am sure most of us will be able to deal with CoH when it comes back in I23 form.  Later iterations might require some minor upgrades if you were right at the edge of acceptable performance.

I look forward to finding out.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #13788 on: December 24, 2014, 01:15:14 AM »

That's pretty awesome - always glad to see when developers are keeping in mind that everybody doesn't run the latest stuff.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13789 on: December 24, 2014, 01:35:37 AM »
I wonder how many die-hards went to another NCSoft game?   

I'm talking about the people who would come back if/when CoH comes back.   That can't be very many players.

I don't think many at all. I am sure there are some, but [from what I've seen] the vast majority of people burned by the closure of Our Favorite Game were/are WAY too mad at NCSoft to invest any significant time in another of their games.

The current troubles Wildstar is/are undergoing are proof of the wisdom of such a strategy.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13790 on: December 24, 2014, 02:46:42 AM »
I don't think many at all. I am sure there are some, but [from what I've seen] the vast majority of people burned by the closure of Our Favorite Game were/are WAY too mad at NCSoft to invest any significant time in another of their games.

The current troubles Wildstar is/are undergoing are proof of the wisdom of such a strategy.

Agreed. Though the reasons for the shutdown have become more clear with time, the fact is that the shutdown was handled poorly by NCSoft.   I lost track of all the people on the old CoH boards vowing to never touch an NCSoft title again.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13791 on: December 24, 2014, 03:21:18 AM »
I never vowed that I wouldn't touch an NCSoft title again. I just don't feel that I could trust them to keep any game open for long that is not a rock solid hit in Asia. So, I most likely wouldn't try any of them. I don't hate NCSoft. I just don't trust them to actually think of their Non-Asian customers when making decisions concerning any of their games. Also, I'm not really interested in any of the games that they have out.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13792 on: December 24, 2014, 04:13:51 AM »
Okay, I admit it.  I'm jones'ing.  I just spent the last 10 minutes staring at my computer screen, lamenting the fact I could not go candy cane hunting over my winter staycation.

I'm a patient man, but I have limits.  PLEASE bring it back soon. 
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13793 on: December 24, 2014, 06:10:36 AM »

For those of that joined team red I hope it runs well for us as well.

I was an evga fan boy for the longest time but I haven't been happy with the sky rocketing price of nvidia and intel products the last few years.

And please for the love of god don't forget sli and crossfire support! Please? :)

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #13794 on: December 24, 2014, 01:54:34 PM »
That's pretty awesome - always glad to see when developers are keeping in mind that everybody doesn't run the latest stuff.

Yeah, to me, that kind of foresight and consideration is really encouraging to see.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #13795 on: December 24, 2014, 02:21:21 PM »

Perfect!!  I just installed this card in August.  Bring it on!!

Darkojin

• Minion
« Reply #13796 on: December 25, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »
Running an EVGA GTX 770 (4GB) and i7-4790k @ 4.0 Ghz on my gaming computer, which is a major upgrade from the computer I was using to play CoH back then. So I at least know that computer will handle the Maintenance Mode version well enough, and hopefully a UE4 port. My main question though, is if original CoH had a Mac version, will Maintenance Mode and UE4 versions as well? Would like to be able to play both on my laptop when not at home if/when they are available.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13797 on: December 26, 2014, 09:12:28 AM »
Hmmmm....might have to move up to a 770 if they really make use of all the UE4 eye candy.  Oh darn! ;-)
Starting my new build with an 970 tomarrow :)

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #13798 on: December 26, 2014, 02:40:31 PM »

I'm running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti.  Hopefully that will be good enough.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #13799 on: December 26, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »
Agreed. Though the reasons for the shutdown have become more clear with time, the fact is that the shutdown was handled poorly by NCSoft.   I lost track of all the people on the old CoH boards vowing to never touch an NCSoft title again.

I was and still am one. But if they do the deal and allow CoH to return, I'll sub to one of there games for a month or two as way of saying thanks. Prolly won't play, but still.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!