Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212269 times)

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #25000 on: June 23, 2016, 04:40:57 AM »
It is time once again for ...
The weakly update,

Yes, it has been another week.  Progress was made when somebody found a you tube video of a cat dancing.  It was funny and cute.  That one guy, who won't stop talking, even took a breath long enough to smile at the video.  Other than that, the THeM continue operating under an NDA and NCSoft operates under an NDA, but it isn't the same NDA for obvisous reasons.  Anyway, we love you and keep using Paragon Chat and don't forget about that July 2nd event.  And as always, we love you.

So no word on COH, VO has announced alpha coming but we wont hear anything for at least a month, they are back to valium online for a while, COT is doing lore releases, which wont really mean anything until we have something to actually see, probably 6+ months for that. kind of slow and depressing for now, time to go waste time in WOW for a while.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #25001 on: June 23, 2016, 05:54:48 PM »
Just wanted to pop in and say Hi to everyone :)

Been gone awhile but haven't lost hope.

/em holdtorch

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25002 on: June 23, 2016, 07:14:37 PM »
Even more so a chat server isn't designed to do the back-end processing the client needs to present the world correctly.  Asking the chat server to handle that would be like asking a little boy with his little red wagon to haul an 18 wheel truck's load.  Just not doable.  Good chat servers have been written just about every scripting (aka interpreted) language to date.  That back end server would need to be done in a high performance compiled language like C/C++ or perhaps Java.  And it would take servers with xeon or opteron multi-core cpus, lots of ram, multiple nics, and fast raid configured scsi or sas storage, perhaps throw in fusion IO accelerators.  Figure servers that costs a much of a passenger car each.  As in figure about $20,000 to $40,000 / server.  And you'd likely need 2 as a bare minimum.  We haven't even talked switches, routers, and wan circuits.  All of which have equally impressive price tags.

And all that's so you can ram 36 million messages/min out to the clients and give you a live world.

Hypothetically speaking I can think of ways to do this, but I'd never actually do it because no chat server would need this.  It would be a case of deliberately trying to do something relatively easy in the most difficult possible way.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25003 on: June 24, 2016, 11:09:28 AM »
I just want to tell you good luck, we're all counting on you.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25004 on: June 24, 2016, 02:43:20 PM »
Hypothetically speaking I can think of ways to do this...

In yesterday's news, Arcana offers to write CoH2 as a free distributed peer-to-peer game allowing up to 200 clients simultaneously in the same zone. Early expectations are a full CoH-like experience as well as the ability to customize your own powerset. The alpha version is expected to be available sometime in November.

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #25005 on: June 24, 2016, 03:22:08 PM »
In yesterday's news, Arcana offers to write CoH2 as a free distributed peer-to-peer game allowing up to 200 clients simultaneously in the same zone. Early expectations are a full CoH-like experience as well as the ability to customize your own powerset. The alpha version is expected to be available sometime in November.
Thank you. I've been missing that part of the authentic forum experience.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25006 on: June 24, 2016, 08:37:38 PM »
Thank you. I've been missing that part of the authentic forum experience.

I can throw in a "codswallop" if you're Jonesing for a taste of the original game forums.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25007 on: June 24, 2016, 09:08:47 PM »
I can throw in a "codswallop" if you're Jonesing for a taste of the original game forums.
Make it "Codswallop Melee" and you have yourself a deal.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #25008 on: June 24, 2016, 09:23:07 PM »
Make it "Codswallop Melee" and you have yourself a deal.
I thought it was "carp melee"?

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25009 on: June 24, 2016, 09:24:27 PM »
(Look of exasperation) Bazooka Melee.  Always Bazooka Melee!
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25010 on: June 24, 2016, 09:26:46 PM »
Yeah, it was.  We could make Codswallop the Knockout Blow clone of the set.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25011 on: June 24, 2016, 11:02:38 PM »
I'll never be satisfied until we have Snack Cake and War Bond manipulation sets to mimic the most OP of all comic book powers.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25012 on: June 24, 2016, 11:04:38 PM »

As I said back then, carp is obviously a ranged set.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25013 on: June 25, 2016, 02:37:33 AM »

She told us she was an engineer.  I threw the can't be done challenge.  Now, she has to go out and prove me wrong.  It's a win-win.  I win if she doesn't.  We all win if she does.   ;D
No Surrender!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25014 on: June 25, 2016, 02:42:16 AM »
As I said back then, carp is obviously a ranged set.

So is the nova level power going to be a great white shark?

Can't be done.  You can't do it, Arcana.  Now go out and prove me wrong so we can have the fish blaster powerset.  lol
No Surrender!

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25015 on: June 25, 2016, 03:39:14 AM »

I love "Airplane".

MattTreck

• Minion
« Reply #25016 on: June 25, 2016, 03:41:22 AM »
I've been working on a small online RPG project (for my own amusement), and It's made me start thinking of CoH A LOT over the past few days again.

Just wanted to drop in and say hi, I've been looking at old screenshots for the past hour or so and it's gotten me really sad. I miss this game and the people. A lot.

This will seem silly but I remember the day I discovered the game, back in 2006 during my summer break. I was 10 years old (I know I'm a baby wahh wahh), Dad had a Fileplanet account and they were advertising a trial for a game called City of Villains. I have a very vivid memory of my first moments in the game. Some guy called Runez (I think?) had a green costume with some sort of green aura and he walked my through my first hour or so in the game. Was my first MMO and a truly wonderful experience. I was a just a kid but it amazed me what I was doing.

Anyways I did some digging and found this: https://web.archive.org/web/20060615024751/http://www.fileplanet.com/
I thought it was neat to look at.

Anyways hope everyone is doing well and we (eventually) get our game back!

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #25017 on: June 25, 2016, 03:46:08 AM »
I love "Airplane".

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25018 on: June 25, 2016, 03:50:12 AM »
So is the nova level power going to be a great white shark?

Carpnado is the tier 9. We could already throw sharks in the original.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25019 on: June 25, 2016, 04:00:16 AM »
I love "Airplane".

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking...