Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212806 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #25320 on: July 22, 2016, 03:56:04 AM »
Keep an eye on the H.E.R.C. forums for updates on future Paragon Chat player events this year, including a Halloween themed Event, Oct. 29th, in Croatoa.

In keeping with City of Heroes' tradition of Christmas arriving some time in January.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #25321 on: July 24, 2016, 07:17:10 AM »
APR went down today, I hope everything is OK with Irish Girl and the APR crew. . .
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Void Huntress

• Minion
« Reply #25322 on: July 24, 2016, 07:45:22 AM »
I don't think that really covers it.  I always thought it was a little sad that Joshex seemed to believe that the more grandiose his expressions the more respect he would garner for them, when the exact opposite was true.  He believed that you didn't need to understand an idea to contradict it or supplant it.  He couldn't tell the difference between colloquial simplification and technical precision.  He had no internal sense of the difference between guessing and knowing.  And he acted as if everyone existed in the same deep fog he did: that to the extent he didn't know something no one else really did either so it made no difference.

Joshex believed you could become a respected expert in game design by just making one.  That the parts of physics he didn't understand were obviously wrong.  That it was okay to give out medical and legal advice without actually knowing anything about either and without disclaimers.

Joshex didn't even expend the effort most ignorant pretenders expend by doing quick google and wikipedia searches.  Whereas most people are wrong when they overgeneralize or misunderstand internet information, Joshex would just plain make stuff up that no one else believed at all.  And not understand why it was obvious.

I think Joshex lived in a world where everything took more hard work than he was willing to expend, and wanted to live in a world where intuition and casual brainstorming were all you needed to get ahead, and he just couldn't convince anyone to join him there.

There is a cautionary tale in there worth mentioning.  Whenever you claim to know more than you actually do, you may sway those that don't know enough to realize that, but you will tend to incur the disrespect of those that do.  No matter how good at it you think you are, that conduct will always be transparent to those knowledgeable enough to figure it out.  And that threshold is always lower than you think it is.  It is never really worth it, although sometimes it takes dramatic examples to demonstrate that.

This is almost a Dos Equis parody.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25323 on: July 24, 2016, 10:41:14 AM »
APR went down today, I hope everything is OK with Irish Girl and the APR crew. . .

How do you mean - their site, or is there more going on??

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25324 on: July 24, 2016, 08:27:25 PM »
The site is up right now?

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #25325 on: July 24, 2016, 09:00:55 PM »
Yep, it's back up now.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25326 on: July 25, 2016, 08:05:25 PM »
Yep, it's back up now.
Don't scare us like that haha

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25327 on: July 27, 2016, 02:39:56 AM »
Weakly Update

Yeah, we're still in talks with the THeM.  They actually think that we would saell them City of Heroes.  We are really trying to unload Guild Wars.  Anyway, there is an NDA so I can't say nothing about anything.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25328 on: July 27, 2016, 02:48:12 AM »
Weakly Update

Yeah, we're still in talks with the THeM.  They actually think that we would saell them City of Heroes.  We are really trying to unload Guild Wars.  Anyway, there is an NDA so I can't say nothing about anything.

If you can't say nothing about anything can you say anything about nothing?

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25329 on: July 27, 2016, 02:49:49 AM »
If you can't say nothing about anything can you say anything about nothing?

I think I did a good job of saying nothing about nothing, and that's saying something.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #25330 on: July 27, 2016, 02:18:03 PM »
Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you want to be with me
Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you want to be with me
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25331 on: July 27, 2016, 07:14:01 PM »
I think I did a good job of saying nothing about nothing, and that's saying something.

So you say.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25332 on: July 27, 2016, 10:52:24 PM »
I've been playing Airmech on the Xbox lately - reminds me of R.V every time.

I'd love to see the Longbow mechs redone to look like an AM faction, or vice versa...

The guys working on AM are known to do crossovers etc. where possible eg. they have a few units based on portal tech or whatnot...

Just a shame that a company (NC), that seemingly could care less about video games is in the industry.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:58:36 PM by LateNights »

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25333 on: July 28, 2016, 12:16:12 AM »
I've been playing Airmech on the Xbox lately - reminds me of R.V every time.

I'd love to see the Longbow mechs redone to look like an AM faction, or vice versa...

The guys working on AM are known to do crossovers etc. where possible eg. they have a few units based on portal tech or whatnot...

Just a shame that a company (NC), that seemingly could care less about video games is in the industry.

A Mech powerset would be pretty awesome.  Would it be blaster?  Or tank? Maybe even Brute.....ranged Brute?

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25334 on: July 28, 2016, 01:47:12 AM »
A Mech powerset would be pretty awesome.  Would it be blaster?  Or tank? Maybe even Brute.....ranged Brute?

Would have to be an epic AT for my money!!

If anyone is an old g1 transformers fan, I had a stone tank that did a decent impersonation of a headmaster or powermaster - specifically hiQ - with crystal armor customized to be pink ala energon.

Granite was his tapping into the moment in time the transformation from Nebulan to Prime took place (As per Marvel comics), which explained his appearance somewhat...

& with the mecha costume set we got in the last few months he was pretty fun to play.

But a proper AT!?!...

:D

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25335 on: July 28, 2016, 02:02:25 AM »

I have often wondered if it was possible to construct balanced MMO classes that actually build on the metaphor of the tank closer to reality.  Which is to say, the canonical MMO tank is a) very resilient, b) has limited range, and c) has low offense.  Only one of those is actually true for an actual tank.  Actual tanks are a) very resilient, b) have very long range, and c) have extremely high (if limited) offense.  What's the MMO analog?  An MMO tank with very powerful long range single target offense?  What would be balanced against that?  Maybe a mastermind with a lot of minion pets that could surround the tank with trip mines and time bombs?  I'm not sure how (or if) that could actually work, but I think its an interesting idea.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25336 on: July 28, 2016, 02:25:59 AM »
Seems like speed and overwhelming numbers might be a good balance against a classic tank.  ATs based on sustained, rapid attacks and summoning (not unlike masterminds - particularly with abilities like Gang War) would be pretty doable.  Maybe even weaknesses against specific origins (like Superman and magic) or mental attacks.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25337 on: July 28, 2016, 03:07:13 AM »
Or the classic tank bane, rickety bridge summoning.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #25338 on: July 28, 2016, 03:10:59 AM »
I have often wondered if it was possible to construct balanced MMO classes that actually build on the metaphor of the tank closer to reality.  Which is to say, the canonical MMO tank is a) very resilient, b) has limited range, and c) has low offense.  Only one of those is actually true for an actual tank.  Actual tanks are a) very resilient, b) have very long range, and c) have extremely high (if limited) offense.  What's the MMO analog?  An MMO tank with very powerful long range single target offense?  What would be balanced against that?  Maybe a mastermind with a lot of minion pets that could surround the tank with trip mines and time bombs?  I'm not sure how (or if) that could actually work, but I think its an interesting idea.

In many cases, forces prefer to fight tanks with tanks. Modern days, the USAF has the A-10 which is very effective against tanks. Bazookas were/are used against tanks. There are also recoilless rifles mounted on vehicle, very fast, very manuverable designed for anti-tank warfare. In COH, I think beam rifle might be a good counter to a tank.

Also, tanks are often armed with machine guns either mounted on the top turret or the front corners, so there is some cone lethal damage to go with the one range targeted aoe.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25339 on: July 28, 2016, 03:40:39 AM »
CO could have had a "Modern tank" with strong ranged firepower, mobility, extreme durability.  But alas.

On the other hand for a mmorpg?  Sure.  Such a class could exist, we had close to it in CoX.  The brute was very high in offense and could be boosted in durability very sharply.  The class was the lightning bruiser.  Lets not forget, modern tanks are very fast compared to older tanks to.  Even going as far as doing a wheely.  How to balance an mmorpg with such a class:

Screw the old trinity.

Go with "Muscle, support, control.", similar to GW2.  A tank would be a "Muscle" class, capable of inflicting horrific damage and taking it simultaneously.  It would be vulnerable to crowd control effects from control, but could be protected from that with support.  Does something like this exist in games already?  Yes, in RTS's.  For example the starcraft series, such as SC2 and the protoss "Death ball" which comprised of, originally, Void Rays(The muscle) and support comprised of stalkers(who also acted as muscle) and collosus(the actual support) with the occasional high templar.  Or maybe SC 1 and dragoons(muscle), zealots(both muscle and crowd control, they could body-block melee enemies to protect dragoons) and high templar.  Or Terrans and marines/medics with science vessel support.  Or even the ghost to disable dangerous mechanic units in SC1(crowd control) or a protoss arbiter/mothership disabling enemy units in SC 1 and 2 respectively.

Support units were often the units either repairing or protecting units with protection spells/powers, the crowd control effected enemy units and the "muscle" were units made to inflict a lot of damage.

Another game where you saw muscle/support/control was the command and conquer series.  Often you had supporting abilities that helped with crowd control or protecting/supporting your own units, whether that was in the form of say bombers strategically used to protect your own forces from something nasty, or say an EMP to disable titan walkers ect. 

Another CoH "tank" in a realistic mannor: Corruptors/defenders armed with time manipulation and force mastery could achieve very high defense ratings and high smash/lethal resistances, while having powerful ranged AoE.  They were closer to being balanced from a weakness to defense debuffing.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.