Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212717 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #25880 on: September 29, 2016, 11:35:02 PM »
Sometimes I wondered if he really didn't believe the things he said.  You know, trying to get a rise out of the rest of us.  Some of the things he said were so incredibly off the wall.

I suppose we could talk about something more colorful like the current election cycle.  Pretty sure that would get whimsy with plenty of flights of fantasy and gibbering incoherence.  On 2nd thought.  No.  Let's talk about puppies vs kittens.  I'd rather keep you guys and gals as friends.

Team Puppy all the way! :D

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #25881 on: September 30, 2016, 12:08:59 AM »
Team Ferret!  Or more accurately, Team Lots o' Ferrets!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25882 on: September 30, 2016, 12:12:31 AM »
Pets: the biggest scam since voting.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25883 on: September 30, 2016, 12:50:04 AM »
Sometimes I wondered if he really didn't believe the things he said.  You know, trying to get a rise out of the rest of us.  Some of the things he said were so incredibly off the wall.

I suppose we could talk about something more colorful like the current election cycle.  Pretty sure that would get whimsy with plenty of flights of fantasy and gibbering incoherence.  On 2nd thought.  No.  Let's talk about puppies vs kittens.  I'd rather keep you guys and gals as friends.
He was probably sincere.  I kind of recall him copping to one or two instances of trolling, but it was still steeped in Joshex Brand Craziness.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #25884 on: September 30, 2016, 01:59:31 AM »
Joshex Brand Craziness.
Sounds like a cereal :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #25885 on: September 30, 2016, 04:11:54 AM »
Team Crow.

And no, that's not photoshopped.  Evidently crows and ravens are known for "riding" other birds.

"Where the heck is the seatbelt on this thing?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25886 on: September 30, 2016, 04:19:19 AM »
I'm for Team God of Destruction

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25887 on: September 30, 2016, 02:29:29 PM »
Team Puppy here.  Woof.  :)

And whatever did happen to Joshex?

HorseManDemon

• Minion
« Reply #25888 on: September 30, 2016, 04:23:14 PM »
Team Puppy here.  Woof.  :)

And whatever did happen to Joshex?

I believe one of his experiments succeeded and he ascended beyond this mortal plane. (Or one of his experiments failed and he was Mod-Banished to an alternate dimension of the Internet)

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25889 on: September 30, 2016, 06:24:12 PM »
I believe one of his experiments succeeded and he ascended beyond this mortal plane. (Or one of his experiments failed and he was Mod-Banished to an alternate dimension of the Internet)

Either that or we weren't engaging enough in his fantasies, and he decided to find more like minded people.  Perhaps in that alternate dimension of the Internet.  Let's just home he doesn't come back as an (Un)holy half dead pushing the necromonger (or would that be Jonshexmonger) way.
No Surrender!

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #25890 on: September 30, 2016, 10:00:06 PM »
He was probably sincere.  I kind of recall him copping to one or two instances of trolling, but it was still steeped in Joshex Brand Craziness.

I believe he was almost always sincere.  Invariably, when people would start shooting wholes in whatever bizarre thing he spouted, he would mention that he was half trolling.  As if that absolved his whackado ramblings.  Not surprisingly, Arcana tended to be the one to poke holes in whatever he was babbling about.  :)

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25891 on: September 30, 2016, 11:43:16 PM »
Team Crow.

Team Servo!

...ahhh, who am I kidding, I love 'em all. And hey, if MST3K can come back, why not CoH?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25892 on: October 01, 2016, 12:55:01 AM »
I believe he was almost always sincere.  Invariably, when people would start shooting wholes in whatever bizarre thing he spouted, he would mention that he was half trolling.  As if that absolved his whackado ramblings.  Not surprisingly, Arcana tended to be the one to poke holes in whatever he was babbling about.  :)

In Joshex's case it is probably more metaphorically accurate to say that I usually asked Joshex to stand under his arguments while I poured water into them and let the holes speak for themselves.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #25893 on: October 01, 2016, 01:29:58 PM »
Not to change the subject...but...Nate, if you're out there...toss us a bone.  Just one word...anything that won't violate the NDA....puhlease? (whimper...)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25894 on: October 01, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »
Not to change the subject...but...Nate, if you're out there...toss us a bone.  Just one word...anything that won't violate the NDA....puhlease? (whimper...)

What if that one word is "Hi!" or "Maybe?"

MaxEternal

• Minion
« Reply #25895 on: October 01, 2016, 02:20:03 PM »

A similar question was asked on the City of Titans Facebook page under visitor's posts the other day.  Someone from CoT said that "nothing is happening" but added "they can say no a thousand times but only have to say yes once."

https://www.facebook.com/CityOfTitansmmo/

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #25896 on: October 01, 2016, 04:03:52 PM »
A similar question was asked on the City of Titans Facebook page under visitor's posts the other day.  Someone from CoT said that "nothing is happening" but added "they can say no a thousand times but only have to say yes once."

https://www.facebook.com/CityOfTitansmmo/
The thing is that no one at City of titans has any direct involvement in the negotiations unless Nate was lying. Nate got the process started but hasn't been a participant since then. So it's unlikely that anyone at MWM besides Nate has any direct knowledge, and even Nate probably can't or won't say much of anything.

Regardless it's rather obvious that if the deal is still progressing it's proceeding slowly at best. Which is roughly the expected speed of business for minor deals with a big company that's a little wary about trying something new with their old IP. "Hang on, we usually just toss this stuff into a bin and forget it ever existed. We might look bad by association if someone buys it and screws up while using it since it's got our name on it. We'll have to think about this for a while, but not too hard since thinking costs us money."
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25897 on: October 02, 2016, 03:21:54 AM »
The thing is that no one at City of titans has any direct involvement in the negotiations unless Nate was lying. Nate got the process started but hasn't been a participant since then. So it's unlikely that anyone at MWM besides Nate has any direct knowledge, and even Nate probably can't or won't say much of anything.

Regardless it's rather obvious that if the deal is still progressing it's proceeding slowly at best. Which is roughly the expected speed of business for minor deals with a big company that's a little wary about trying something new with their old IP. "Hang on, we usually just toss this stuff into a bin and forget it ever existed. We might look bad by association if someone buys it and screws up while using it since it's got our name on it. We'll have to think about this for a while, but not too hard since thinking costs us money."

If they sell it and completely relinquish all control over the game and its fate, then they shouldnt worry if the new owners screw up and blow it.   NCSoft will have been paid so they shouldn't care, even if their logo is required to remain on it in some capacity such as the login screen.

Frankly if they want their logo on the screen still I'd agree, then adjust it so that while it's still on the screen it is really small......
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25898 on: October 03, 2016, 08:29:53 PM »
If they sell it and completely relinquish all control over the game and its fate, then they shouldnt worry if the new owners screw up and blow it.   NCSoft will have been paid so they shouldn't care, even if their logo is required to remain on it in some capacity such as the login screen.

You're talking about "they" as if there's a NCSoft hive mind that is in a position to make these kinds of calculations.  In reality, whomever is working (or not working as the case may be) on the deal within NCSoft has their own personal motivations for pursuing or not pursuing this relationship, and they could (I would) expect that their professional reputation is on the line with regard to how it turns out.  If they take responsibility for shepherding a deal within NCSoft and advocate for it, and then the acquiring entity implodes spectacularly and visibly, that would be a potential knock on them.  I know that personally there are a lot of people and entities I refuse to work with even though they've never stiffed me for a bill.  I simply decided there are too many other things I could be doing with my time and I have no desire to be anywhere near them when whatever it is they're doing culminates in whatever conclusion it reaches.                                                                                       

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25899 on: October 04, 2016, 10:14:07 PM »

Except that there's something called the "opportunity cost" that they need to consider. If NCSoft sells the property for a million dollars, and then five years later there's a big nostalgia boom for superhero games and they have the chance to make ten million dollars by releasing a free-to-play turn-based City of Heroes card game for mobile devices, they are really going to regret selling their property and losing nine million dollars in potential profit.

(This is obviously an absurd hypothetical example, please don't derail by getting into the merits of a turn-based CoH game for mobile.)

The point is, NCSoft has to find out what assets the property actually comprises (intellectual property? Code? Logos and trademarks?), the value of the property, determine whether that value is likely to increase, decrease or stay the same, decide whether they can make more money licensing it out or selling it, and determine whether the people they're currently dealing with are the best people out there to make use of the property. That's just the very very very VERY basic outline of the beginnings of a deal, and it would take years even if they were devoting a significant amount of energy. Given that by all accounts, it's the other party who's being aggressive, it's not surprising we haven't heard anything.