Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212623 times)

rkcdan

• Underling
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #26880 on: March 14, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »
Yeah, after a while the smell of BS starts to get pretty strong.

It certainly isn't Nate's or anyone else's fault for trying.   They are the good guys.   NCSoft, with their ability to get their feelings hurt at the drop of a hat due to their fantasy world where the entire planet has to abide by the cultural rules of Korea, are the bad guys. 

So them just getting a NDA in place to shut everyone up sounds like something I would expect from them.

By the way, good luck with that business model on the world marketplace NCSoft.    (Although I'm not I believing for a second that they would refuse a phone call from Microsoft because it didn't go through the proper Korean customs...they sound more like bullies who like to push around people smaller than them)   

The whole online game model starts to smell bad at the end of the day.    This can't possibly last.   You don't build up a costumer base for a product and then anger them over and over by informing them they can no longer use the product... and expect that industry to last.   Maybe it's ok for "gamers" who just move on to the next game...but I played CoH...that's it.   Other games bore and frustrate me.   No interest.    (I'm excited for CoT...but part of me fears it will frustrate me because it won't be the same)

At some point, the costumer base says "enough"....usually around the time that someone offers a better product.    You'd better be able to promise your costumers they can play the game they bought for as long as they want. 8)

I will have to agree none of the games out there are not worth my time to play. After COH closed I tried a lot of them but none of them measured up to the fun and the friendships I had at COH
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:41:43 AM by rkcdan »

scope.creep

• Minion
« Reply #26881 on: March 14, 2017, 11:02:59 AM »
To the person who linked the web serial Worm: thank you!

I went back to find the post so as to thank said person properly, but was unable to find it. I figure that means either it was moderated away or I have just exposed how weak my search-fu actually is and must now live in shame. If the former, please bear in mind that I've been away reading for the last month or so and missed whatever squabble warranted the moderation. If the latter, I shall endeavour to bear my shame with the shreads of my remaining dignity; simply point me at the appropriate person that I may offer thanks directly.

I greatly enjoyed the read. It scratched that superhero and -villain itch nicely. Thanks for the link.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26882 on: March 14, 2017, 10:15:13 PM »
Well I play game called Warframe...and seams a lot like city of heroes...the developers have the same customer responses and talk to the players a lot.  The players seam to be very nice.  The company even has a convention for the game players......sound a bit familiar.

The areas are more instanced.....but they are huge areas....flying isn't something most players can do.....but the game lets you go pretty much anywhere on a map.

oh well....you are not a super hero though
The combat in warframe is too fast. Plus I don't think that is an MMO. Have you seen the base builder for the clans?

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26883 on: March 14, 2017, 10:32:34 PM »
Just think of it like a musician.   We do the same things over and over and expect better results.   And it works.   It's possible musicians are insane of course.   8)

Musicians are completely insane, but we'd be crazier if we weren't musicians.

Zerohour

• Lieutenant
  • Trapped in the Speed Force
« Reply #26884 on: March 15, 2017, 12:57:13 AM »
I know there's an ongoing conversation about things I don't follow, so I hope I don't derail it. I just wanted to pop in quickly to say: you guys rock, and I'm really missing this game lately. It actually physically hurts me right now. I may even have to figure out where I can download the i24 beta client and then get into Paragon Chat. I hadn't been able to bring myself to do it, but... well... as I said, struggling with missing CoH right now.

I just want my kinetic/regen scrapper back, and my cool outfit.
been feeling just like you for a while now.  ive played soooo many games since CoH shut down and nothing grabs me or holds my interest the way it did

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26885 on: March 15, 2017, 01:08:46 AM »
been feeling just like you for a while now.  ive played soooo many games since CoH shut down and nothing grabs me or holds my interest the way it did

I dabble in SWTOR a bit but not often. No MMO has come close to CoH.

Hoping for Shadowskiss to be something good, but that is going to be awhile it seems.

Crossing fingers for CoH to be sold and for Ship of Heroes.

Speaking of Ship of Heroes they have posted a nice tribute to CoH video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtTMC8Vcy9A
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:17:55 AM by Sinistar »
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Obsecri

• Underling
  • hek
« Reply #26886 on: March 16, 2017, 08:16:39 PM »
Speaking of Ship of Heroes they have posted a nice tribute to CoH video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtTMC8Vcy9A
Yeah, Ship of Heroes is really coming along. It's hard to believe it's been public for a fraction of the time period that the others have been, and it's somehow the furthest along. Development speed isn't everything, but really... the others aren't even close!

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #26887 on: March 16, 2017, 10:11:49 PM »
Yeah, Ship of Heroes is really coming along. It's hard to believe it's been public for a fraction of the time period that the others have been, and it's somehow the furthest along. Development speed isn't everything, but really... the others aren't even close!

Outcomes are affected by approach.

When I was in the business world, we would offer services fast, good and cheap. The customer could choose two out of the three.

Appearances can deceive, so until we get a launch we won't be sure of the quality.

Having said that, SoH looks promising just as the other spiritual successors in development show promise.
But I am hoping this pudding turns out to be chocolate! Or at least butterscotch...although pistachio would be good too. ;)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26888 on: March 16, 2017, 10:29:51 PM »

yes it is interesting that their development seems the furthest along. I wonder if they worked a lot behind the scenes before going public? Still I look forward to Alpha/Beta testing it as so far it looks like it might be the closest we get to CoH, until CoH is sold. :)
In fearful COH-less days

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26889 on: March 17, 2017, 01:02:32 AM »
yes it is interesting that their development seems the furthest along. I wonder if they worked a lot behind the scenes before going public? Still I look forward to Alpha/Beta testing it as so far it looks like it might be the closest we get to CoH, until CoH is sold. :)

They stated that they had started development early 2016 IIRC from one of their interviews.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26890 on: March 17, 2017, 02:28:25 AM »
They stated that they had started development early 2016 IIRC from one of their interviews.

hm, so basically they made sure to have something good to show before all the vids?  Not such a bad idea.

For all we know CoH has been sold and the new owners are working to get it back up and running and THEN deliver the good news,  vs. telling us they own the game and then get inundated with

"when is the relaunch date/are we there yet?"

Just speculating of course. :)
In fearful COH-less days

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26891 on: March 17, 2017, 04:17:16 AM »
hm, so basically they made sure to have something good to show before all the vids?  Not such a bad idea.

For all we know CoH has been sold and the new owners are working to get it back up and running and THEN deliver the good news,  vs. telling us they own the game and then get inundated with

"when is the relaunch date/are we there yet?"

Just speculating of course. :)

That's they way I'd do it.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26892 on: March 17, 2017, 05:00:19 AM »
I'd announce with a vid of my fully io'd 50 laughing maniacally.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26893 on: March 17, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
I'd announce with a vid of my fully io'd 50 laughing maniacally.

I'd announce it with a vid of my entire army of L50's fully restored.

Perhaps with a narrative similar to the bionic man's show.

"City of Heroes, an MMORPG that was shutdown.  Gentlemen we can rebuild it, we have the technology.....we have the capability to bring City of Heroes back to life.  It will be better then it was before.....because NCSOFT NO LONGER OWNS IT!"  Then comes a montage of the assorted levels and enemies to fight with scenes of my characters in combat.

:)
In fearful COH-less days

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #26894 on: March 17, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »
I'd like to have my characters back....but I don't really mind starting from scratch.

Anyways, I'll be 64 this fall....so SOMEBODY better get on the stick before I become geriatric....

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26895 on: March 17, 2017, 03:27:16 PM »
64 is just the right age to begin a fitness program to retard the aging process. You're only as old as you feel - so if you're going to feel old, it may as well be from performing strenuous activities like wind sprints and resistance training.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26896 on: March 17, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »
Outcomes are affected by approach.

When I was in the business world, we would offer services fast, good and cheap. The customer could choose two out of the three.

Appearances can deceive, so until we get a launch we won't be sure of the quality.

Having said that, SoH looks promising just as the other spiritual successors in development show promise.
But I am hoping this pudding turns out to be chocolate! Or at least butterscotch...although pistachio would be good too. ;)

I think I mentioned earlier that Ship of Heroes has someone at the helm with tremendous leadership. I'm not saying Charisma is the sole reason, but that's a part of it. Deep pockets probably help, too. Still, there's a lot left to do, I'm sure. I think the proof will be in the pudding. I'm just looking forward to finding out if it tastes like chocolate, or just looks like it.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #26897 on: March 17, 2017, 04:35:01 PM »
64 is just the right age to begin a fitness program to retard the aging process. You're only as old as you feel - so if you're going to feel old, it may as well be from performing strenuous activities like wind sprints and resistance training.

Ummm....ah...heh....mmph...hee...I'd just die tired....ahahaha.  Sorry if I find that amusing...heh....mmph...but you...ahah ha...you said that with a straight face.....BWAHAHAHAHAWHAWHAW....Gasp,,,,ssnicker...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26898 on: March 20, 2017, 01:24:57 AM »
Yeah, after a while the smell of BS starts to get pretty strong.

It certainly isn't Nate's or anyone else's fault for trying.   They are the good guys.   NCSoft, with their ability to get their feelings hurt at the drop of a hat due to their fantasy world where the entire planet has to abide by the cultural rules of Korea, are the bad guys. 

So them just getting a NDA in place to shut everyone up sounds like something I would expect from them.

By the way, good luck with that business model on the world marketplace NCSoft.    (Although I'm not I believing for a second that they would refuse a phone call from Microsoft because it didn't go through the proper Korean customs...they sound more like bullies who like to push around people smaller than them)   

The whole online game model starts to smell bad at the end of the day.    This can't possibly last.   You don't build up a costumer base for a product and then anger them over and over by informing them they can no longer use the product... and expect that industry to last.   Maybe it's ok for "gamers" who just move on to the next game...but I played CoH...that's it.   Other games bore and frustrate me.   No interest.    (I'm excited for CoT...but part of me fears it will frustrate me because it won't be the same)

At some point, the costumer base says "enough"....usually around the time that someone offers a better product.    You'd better be able to promise your costumers they can play the game they bought for as long as they want.

Just think of it like a musician.   We do the same things over and over and expect better results.   And it works.   It's possible musicians are insane of course.   8)

indeed

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26899 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:16 PM »
Ummm....ah...heh....mmph...hee...I'd just die tired....ahahaha.  Sorry if I find that amusing...heh....mmph...but you...ahah ha...you said that with a straight face.....BWAHAHAHAHAWHAWHAW....Gasp,,,,ssnicker...

Consider the book, "Dynamic Aging" by Katy Bowman.