Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7272482 times)

LightTrip

• Underling
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #26900 on: March 21, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »
Well, NCSoft is resurrecting Statesman in their new game Master x Master, any thoughts guys? Lol. I'm torn, part of me feels like this is throwing salt on CoX fans wounds... The other side of me feels as though maybe this is a hint of a possible return? Not sure how to feel at the moment.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/21/master-x-master-announces-a-closed-beta-date-and-adds-city-of-heroes-statesman-to-its-roster/

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #26901 on: March 21, 2017, 02:11:07 PM »
Well, NCSoft is resurrecting Statesman in their new game Master x Master, any thoughts guys? Lol. I'm torn, part of me feels like this is throwing salt on CoX fans wounds... The other side of me feels as though maybe this is a hint of a possible return? Not sure how to feel at the moment.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/21/master-x-master-announces-a-closed-beta-date-and-adds-city-of-heroes-statesman-to-its-roster/

I'm usually an optimist, but unless there is a COH revival or sequal announcement, I'm thinking talks failed and COH will stay down for now. I'm not much of a MOBA person so I doubt I'll play this.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #26902 on: March 21, 2017, 03:17:07 PM »
But...but...if NCSoft has no intentions of completing the CoH deal with Nate and crew....WHY resurrect Statesman at all?

Odimodus

• Minion
« Reply #26903 on: March 21, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »
I was wondering the same. Unless the deal would allow both parties to explore the lore outside of coh, this announcement sure sounds like another nail in the coffin.

Also, it seems like the norm to hint at future products a bit more directly than this. You want to brag a bit to drum up interest, not present another character as a token if you have something else in the works.

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26904 on: March 21, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »
Well this is a rollercoaster of emotions :(

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #26905 on: March 21, 2017, 03:31:30 PM »
Just a question....cause I don't really know...but...Is it possible for NCSoft & Nate's crew to work out a deal where BOTH sides that are negotiating would be allowed to use the IP?

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #26906 on: March 21, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »
Just a question....cause I don't really know...but...Is it possible for NCSoft & Nate's crew to work out a deal where BOTH sides that are negotiating would be allowed to use the IP?

Technically yes, they would likely retain control over direction though. Think Marvel Heroes. Everything is blessed by Marvel before it is launched. Or things like books where some things may be off limits, but the universe is used. Who knows, maybe we will get more news with the upcoming anniversary. One can dream.

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26907 on: March 21, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »
Well, on the one hand: Statesman! on the other, huh ?!  Why would they do this?

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26908 on: March 21, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »

Who knows.  I try to be the optimist but I think ncsoft does not share toys -- even the old broken ones they threw in the back of the closet. 

Why the hell would they do this? I truly doubt this garners any future coh announcements but does a good job at pouring a heaping salt in the wound.  If they publish something every few years does it keep firm control in their domain?

As Starro I feel I need to invade another planet tonight to work this tension out of my 5 arms.

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26909 on: March 21, 2017, 03:38:17 PM »
The optimistic part of me says that this means they are sparking interest to renew CoH is some form, but the realistic part of me says that this is a way for them to hang on to the IP and this is all a cruel, cruel, joke.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #26910 on: March 21, 2017, 03:45:40 PM »
The optimistic part of me says that this means they are sparking interest to renew CoH is some form, but the realistic part of me says that this is a way for them to hang on to the IP and this is all a cruel, cruel, joke.

I wouldn't think it was a cruel joke....because they got burned pretty badly in the forum of public opinion after the original shutdown in 2012.  They wouldn't want a repeat of THAT....in my opinion.

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26911 on: March 21, 2017, 03:52:30 PM »
I wouldn't think it was a cruel joke....because they got burned pretty badly in the forum of public opinion after the original shutdown in 2012.  They wouldn't want a repeat of THAT....in my opinion.

They probably didn't have bad intentions, more than likely they were rummaging through their shitty IPs for any iconic characters and they found States and thought it would be a good nod to CoH fans.

Add that to the fact that I have not heard of MXM until today, maybe they did this for publicity.

Whyaylooh

• Underling
« Reply #26912 on: March 21, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »

Maybe it's just from dealing with too many nearly-dead IP's (and the companies that keep them buried) before, but my first thought when I heard about it this morning was that this feels like a legal and/or negotiation move by NCSoft to demonstrate a continued interest in exercising their rights to an IP.  I will be very curious to hear from Nate (eventually) if this impacts his negotiations with NCSoft, or if it may perhaps be a byproduct of it.

mallerick

• Underling
« Reply #26913 on: March 21, 2017, 05:22:35 PM »
But wow, that new, amped up Atlas Park theme music is speaking to my soul. I don't know what to think!!

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26914 on: March 21, 2017, 05:44:42 PM »

Honestly, seeing this definitely seems like rubbing a ton of salt into still open wounds for COH fans.  WTF, NCSoft??  Do you honestly believe ex-COH players will come flocking back to your MOBA because of your "nod" to us?   

I'm just hoping this isn't a blow to Nate's (& Nate's team's) negotiations.  Seems more spite than homage by NCSoft.

zaprobo

• Minion
    • Journal of a Mastermind
« Reply #26915 on: March 21, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »
Actually from playing it, it does seem more homage than spite - the lore for the character is true to CoH prior to closure, the alternate Tyrant skin and the power naming scheme/themes are all straight outta Paragon.

The article over on MMO Central has a lot of the lore, and a picture of the Tyrant skin that is missing from most/all the other articles. NCSOFT have put some reasonable leg work into re-crafting Statesman.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:22:01 PM by zaprobo »

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #26916 on: March 21, 2017, 06:20:15 PM »
Honestly, seeing this definitely seems like rubbing a ton of salt into still open wounds for COH fans.  WTF, NCSoft??  Do you honestly believe ex-COH players will come flocking back to your MOBA because of your "nod" to us?   

I'm just hoping this isn't a blow to Nate's (& Nate's team's) negotiations.  Seems more spite than homage by NCSoft.

It is possible to share a character, but it would be wrapped up in loads of conditions. Comics have a history of cross-over type stories and of course there are recent examples from the movies.

The reason it isn't done more is because it is too easy to damage the character from a story and identity perspective. Certainly you can recon problems, but really it is best to avoid that.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

switch

• Bronze Age 2016
  • Minion
« Reply #26917 on: March 21, 2017, 06:36:19 PM »
slap in the face  imo and if notice the  dates for the beta  april 6 to april 27  hmmmm  accidently done or on purpose ?

AudreyWinter

• Minion
« Reply #26918 on: March 21, 2017, 06:43:09 PM »
I can't see this as anything but an "ashcan" effort in NCSoft's part to show the world, "Look, we're doing something with the CoX IP, so please stop asking us about buying it."

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26919 on: March 21, 2017, 08:29:32 PM »
They doing it so they can keep the IP like fox does with Fantastic 4(Hey, we made a #$%#$^ 3rd movie so you can't take the IP from us!).  I'm angered, to be honest, and very frustrated with them.  Unless proven otherwise(Such as deal making it and they get to keep Statesman or something) they betrayed us as far as I am concerned.

Here's to looking forward to the spiritual successors at least, so far they seem to be far farther along than the talks at this point.  Heck, Ship of heroes may be the game at this rate.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.