Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7287925 times)

duane

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27240 on: April 07, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »
Who knew space starfish guts worked the same as human ones?

I would give my right limb for you to be able to log into COH.

It's ok, it will grow back

MaxDefense

• Underling
« Reply #27241 on: April 07, 2017, 08:09:11 PM »
Hey!!

Star Fish grow there limbs back if they are cut off :)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27242 on: April 07, 2017, 08:10:39 PM »
I do agree with them on the to many successors issue.  I mean even before Ship of heroes we were already up to three of them, with one of them being an off-shoot of another(Heroes and villains which, speaking of them, has 'anyone' heard anything about them lately? Should we even count them as active I wonder?  Afterall they had to start the hatred CO players have for CoH players and the whole making them want all successor attempts to fail).

I'm sure some people are 'happy' that it shut down so early, first and foremost; you may be, but the rest of us aren't.  For whatever reason you want the successors to fail, keep them and keep that to yourself.  We want our successors, nothing will keep us around your rotted game forever.

Wait, H&V has openly expressed they went the other projects to fail?  Or the hatred they caused in the CO community made the community want the successors projects to fail?

I don't know. The Realm Online might have something to say about that.

More than 20 years and still going.

Huh, well would you look at that.  Foot, meet mouth.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27243 on: April 07, 2017, 08:31:28 PM »
Wait, H&V has openly expressed they went the other projects to fail?  Or the hatred they caused in the CO community made the community want the successors projects to fail?

No, not H&V, the hatred they caused in the CO community made some in the CO community want the successors projects to fail.

Basically, it's that combined with a long feeling of neglect the game(CO) had which causes most players in CO to know the game is running for the wrong reasons.  Perfect world wants there money, and are milking CO for all they can.  CO's rotten foundation is in lockbox-only content and poorly thought out copy-cat content(Holy trinity only raids in the form of rampages, holy trinity-enforced pvp in the form of onslaught letting players see what it's like to be forced to target only tanks, text-book standard raid bosses in the form of the cosmic overhaul ect).  CO is a game which everyone knows won't make it once a good super hero mmo shows up, so you see people in the forums flat out lying about the successors or saying they are going to fail, and jump on anyone bringing them up with rage and fury.

Alot of that hatred toward CoH players came from H&V's golden girl and at the same time some CoH players were plain bad apples.  But the damage was done.  I even made a post in the CO forum here stating not to bring up any successor at any time in CO's actual forums, because the reaction is always the same there.  It's putrid to say the least.  I'd expect some fanboyism in CO's actual forums, but CO's community goes way to far with it.  It may be me but I think they may have had a hand in a lot of misinformation spread about the successors.  I mean one of them even claimed VO is just another off-shoot of CoT like H&V(it's not).  Of course, we know better.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27244 on: April 07, 2017, 08:38:50 PM »
We never had NCSoft against the ropes, they didn't care how pissed we were.

Guess you gotta ask yourself which one is more important in that very unlikely situation they bring it back.  Playing your game again or holding a grudge.  NCSoft doesn't care either way, and while they could and probably would sunset it again no MMO lives forever.  But no one playing it would get it sunset even faster.  Even if someone else got the game it wouldn't last forever.  In 20 years its unlikely any MMO's that are currently out will still be out besides maybe WoW.  I haven't forgotten what NCSoft did, but if I were to rate the way people have wrong me in my life NCSoft would like maybe be a 4.  I've forgiven much worse for nothing in return.  Regardless of who brought back CoH it would sunset again eventually.

Ultima OnLine started in 1997 (I know I played in 1997) and it is bascialy 20 years old and still running

Dark Ages of Camelot is still running 2001 so it is 16 years old

Crazy I know

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27245 on: April 07, 2017, 10:41:47 PM »
Hey!!

Star Fish grow there limbs back if they are cut off :)

The Justice League defeated me once but one of my arms limped away, regrew me and then they defeated me again.   I regret nothing.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #27246 on: April 07, 2017, 10:43:05 PM »
...snip...

I'm sure some people are 'happy' that it shut down so early, first and foremost; you may be, but the rest of us aren't.  For whatever reason you want the successors to fail, keep them and keep that to yourself.  We want our successors, nothing will keep us around your rotted game forever.
...snip...

Just to be clear, I did pledge so I wanted it to succeed.

My stance is this. I don't care if there are a dozen successors as long as one of them makes a game I can love like city of heroes.

Honestly, I've tried Champions on 4 separate occasions. I'm even a life time subscriber.To me, it just wasn't that much fun, even before they went crazy with lockboxes and got rid of the invention system (yes it was complicated but at least it was interesting).

I may try it again if I lose my mind or something like that.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27247 on: April 08, 2017, 12:16:39 AM »

My stance is this. I don't care if there are a dozen successors as long as one of them makes a game I can love like city of heroes.

Honestly, I've tried Champions on 4 separate occasions. I'm even a life time subscriber.To me, it just wasn't that much fun, even before they went crazy with lockboxes and got rid of the invention system (yes it was complicated but at least it was interesting).

No worries :).  I mostly refer to CO fanboys who've since said things along the line of "You shouldn't be hoping for any of that".  The ones who do nothing but discourage often on a mindset of their game being the only one.  I know a lot of people who have life-time subs who want to see a real good super hero game come out thats better than CO.

Most people want a better game, it's just a few who just want CO to remain the only game out there.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27248 on: April 08, 2017, 12:19:48 AM »
H&V still puts up weekly updates on their website.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27249 on: April 08, 2017, 12:32:16 AM »
No, not H&V, the hatred they caused in the CO community made some in the CO community want the successors projects to fail.

Basically, it's that combined with a long feeling of neglect the game(CO) had which causes most players in CO to know the game is running for the wrong reasons.  Perfect world wants there money, and are milking CO for all they can.  CO's rotten foundation is in lockbox-only content and poorly thought out copy-cat content(Holy trinity only raids in the form of rampages, holy trinity-enforced pvp in the form of onslaught letting players see what it's like to be forced to target only tanks, text-book standard raid bosses in the form of the cosmic overhaul ect).  CO is a game which everyone knows won't make it once a good super hero mmo shows up, so you see people in the forums flat out lying about the successors or saying they are going to fail, and jump on anyone bringing them up with rage and fury.

Alot of that hatred toward CoH players came from H&V's golden girl and at the same time some CoH players were plain bad apples.  But the damage was done.  I even made a post in the CO forum here stating not to bring up any successor at any time in CO's actual forums, because the reaction is always the same there.  It's putrid to say the least.  I'd expect some fanboyism in CO's actual forums, but CO's community goes way to far with it.  It may be me but I think they may have had a hand in a lot of misinformation spread about the successors.  I mean one of them even claimed VO is just another off-shoot of CoT like H&V(it's not).  Of course, we know better.

CO's forums have always had a strong (psychologically) defensive streak in them, going back to pre-beta.  From the very beginning there was a core culture (not explicitly shared by everyone, of course, but pervasive nonetheless) that first saw themselves as the cure for all that was wrong with City of Heroes, which later mutated into a martyr syndrome as the victims of first Atari and then later PW.

Honestly, passion causes you to love the good and hate the bad, and CO's forums is what I think happens when the balance between the two tips too far in the wrong direction. 

If I had to summarize my impressions of the CoH and CO communities in one sentence each, it would be this:

CoX: our game is great but it would be better if.
CO: our game would be great if only.

That's where our two roads diverged.  And in this case, it really did make all the difference.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27250 on: April 08, 2017, 01:14:30 AM »

CO will never darken my harddrives again.

As to SoH,  I'm not surprised the Kickstarter was aborted so soon.  The videos for the game look great but after the CoT and VO kickstarter and nothing yet to show for it, it is clear to me that people want a playable product even if it is in Alpha stages.

If they can release a zone or two of content and let us level up a few levels to get a feel for the game and the character creator,  and THEN launch a kickstarter with a perhaps slightly lower amount as a goal then I suspect the backers will come
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Surelle

« Reply #27251 on: April 08, 2017, 01:58:54 AM »
CO will never darken my harddrives again.

As to SoH,  I'm not surprised the Kickstarter was aborted so soon.  The videos for the game look great but after the CoT and VO kickstarter and nothing yet to show for it, it is clear to me that people want a playable product even if it is in Alpha stages.

If they can release a zone or two of content and let us level up a few levels to get a feel for the game and the character creator,  and THEN launch a kickstarter with a perhaps slightly lower amount as a goal then I suspect the backers will come

City of Titans sprang up first, so it got the most Kickstarter backing.  Also, Kickstarter was younger then, and not nearly so many indie games had failed yet at that point.  Now people are wiser, pickier, and the superhero sub-genre of MMOs can only hold so many possible successors.

The saddest thing of all is that the only game anyone really wants is City of Heroes!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27252 on: April 08, 2017, 02:04:36 AM »
City of Titans sprang up first, so it got the most Kickstarter backing.  Also, Kickstarter was younger then, and not nearly so many indie games had failed yet at that point.  Now people are wiser, pickier, and the superhero sub-genre of MMOs can only hold so many possible successors.

The saddest thing of all is that the only game anyone really wants is City of Heroes!

yes but has CoT delivered on their promises with the Kickstarter?  That has surely left a sour taste in the mouths of the backers of CoT and potential future backers of SoH. 

yes, people want CoH but it looks like SoH could be the one. 
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27253 on: April 08, 2017, 02:33:07 AM »

True, I feel the same way. NOTHING is more satisfying than playing City of Heroes.....

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27254 on: April 08, 2017, 03:07:18 AM »
yes but has CoT delivered on their promises with the Kickstarter?  That has surely left a sour taste in the mouths of the backers of CoT and potential future backers of SoH. 

yes, people want CoH but it looks like SoH could be the one.

This sums it up. I don't have much faith in CoT at this point. What have they really done? I agree SoH is the best bet right now. I hope they can stay afloat without backing, and post some instance/team/map videos at some point. I'd put money behind that.
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27255 on: April 08, 2017, 03:38:03 AM »
CoT has done precisely what it set out to do, build an MMO. No matter how much money is sunk, MMO's take time to develop. While CoT has taken longer than any of us, especially those of us working on it, have wanted, that time would have been needed regardless.

The other thing CoT has done is altered at which stage of development will be released, based on player feedback. When we showed early stage work, the fans simply were vicious in ripping apart greybox material. As a result, the early access plan had to be abandoned. Simply put, had the server with an Alpha gone live at the end of 2015, everyone would have taken it as the final product, rather than a greybox. Look at all the guff Camelot Unchained and Shroud of the Avatar have gotten for their Alpha builds. So now, access will be when it is closer to completion, because that's what the players want. They don't want a playable game with greybox graphics and a stand in player model, they want a finished product and will not accept anything less.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 03:54:05 AM by downix »

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27256 on: April 08, 2017, 04:09:56 AM »
CoT has done precisely what it set out to do, build an MMO. No matter how much money is sunk, MMO's take time to develop. While CoT has taken longer than any of us, especially those of us working on it, have wanted, that time would have been needed regardless.

The other thing CoT has done is altered at which stage of development will be released, based on player feedback. When we showed early stage work, the fans simply were vicious in ripping apart greybox material. As a result, the early access plan had to be abandoned. Simply put, had the server with an Alpha gone live at the end of 2015, everyone would have taken it as the final product, rather than a greybox. Look at all the guff Camelot Unchained and Shroud of the Avatar have gotten for their Alpha builds. So now, access will be when it is closer to completion, because that's what the players want. They don't want a playable game with greybox graphics and a stand in player model, they want a finished product and will not accept anything less.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27257 on: April 08, 2017, 04:27:09 AM »
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred.
Yes I did. So I expect the arrows.

Once in awhile I grumble. Then I get back to work.

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #27258 on: April 08, 2017, 04:42:22 AM »
As a CoT kickstarter backer I have no issues with MWM at all other than having to patiently wait for the game to be finished.  That isn't really a complaint as it takes time to make a great game.  I would rather wait for a finished game with all the bells and whistles then a rushed game that is bad.  All things considered. I believe they have made excellent progress.  What excites me the most about CoT is the level of customization that we will have with our characters.  Taking everything that was great about the COH character creator and taking it to the next level.  Having overlapping layers of clothing.  Having more variety in clothing materials.  Having more variety in textures for armor.  Having the ability to choose where on your body an emblem or design can go.  Not just limited to chest and back of cape....now you can put it anywhere you want.  Being able to choose which body part your powers emanate from instead of being locked into one of two animations.  All I can say is keep up the good work you are doing MWM and make us a home worthy of heroes and villains for another generation to come.   ;D
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27259 on: April 08, 2017, 05:33:11 AM »
This sums it up. I don't have much faith in CoT at this point. What have they really done? I agree SoH is the best bet right now. I hope they can stay afloat without backing, and post some instance/team/map videos at some point. I'd put money behind that.

SoH burst onto the scene much the same as VO - with plenty to show they could produce a finished product? - and yet neither is live...

CoT however has been known of since it was just a thought someone had - we've seen it grow from day one - which makes it seem as though it's taken longer, when in reality the other games did alot of work behind the scenes prior to their announcements...

I feel CoT has the chance to become a "home", just like CoH used to be.

And speaking of money down - I'd love another shot at the Cot Kickstarter before it goes live - sadly I missed my chance the first time but I'd love to grab some of the extra goodies if it was possible.