Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212835 times)

LateNights

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27560 on: May 16, 2017, 09:43:36 PM »
Doesn't that guy mentioned earlier run an event that revolves around attacking freighters that literally can't fight back??

Burn Jita I think it was called?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27561 on: May 16, 2017, 09:52:17 PM »
I think Karma is kicking in.  ;D

Karma is really slacking off if it decided to show up now.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27562 on: May 16, 2017, 11:32:26 PM »
Karma is really slacking off if it decided to show up now.

Hey now, Karma had just finished making a nice hot cosmic meal, and you gotta eat while its fresh still.  It didn't want to re-heat it later and have loose all its flavor.

Aron

• Underling
« Reply #27563 on: May 16, 2017, 11:42:27 PM »
Doesn't that guy mentioned earlier run an event that revolves around attacking freighters that literally can't fight back??

The event actually takes place in a specific system, Jita, and is usually announced ahead of time.  I'm honestly kind of baffled why anyone even takes freighters anywhere close to the event when it happens.  ???

Surelle

« Reply #27564 on: May 17, 2017, 12:41:14 AM »

Goonswarm did Hulkageddon many times:  Humorously, they were too wimpy to use their mains, and instead put corpless alts into a Hulkageddon corp called The Orphanage.  Then they would get fleets together in high sec and gank miners (yes, mining ships have no guns, just mining lasers).  I'm not sure who's behind Burn Jita, since I haven't played lately.  Code?  Goon?  Privateers?  They're all gankers who pick on defenseless miners in high sec, instead of seeking out open PvP in, ya know, open PvP space, where they'd likely get their butts kicked (or else they'd be down there with their events).

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27565 on: May 17, 2017, 03:28:15 AM »
That's often said about aggression in highsec; it's a bit of a misrepresentation since if you are aggressed without justification in highsec, CONCORD will always destroy the aggressor's ship; ie, those freighters in fact fight back with infinite firepower.
They're all gankers who pick on defenseless miners in high sec, instead of seeking out open PvP in, ya know, open PvP space, where they'd likely get their butts kicked (or else they'd be down there with their events).
The entire game is "open PvP space"; the miners are only defenseless if they choose not to remain alert or fit their ships with defences, and to boot as mentioned above they automatically get to use the most effective counter-offense in the game; and what consequence (or "butt-kicking", if you will) could someone who is willing to accept the completely guaranteed destruction of their ship fear? It's not like if they go to lowsec it can be destroyed twice.

Fireheart

• Boss
« Reply #27566 on: May 17, 2017, 03:32:10 AM »
Still doesn't sound like my kind of environment.

Be Well!
Fireheart

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27567 on: May 17, 2017, 08:17:12 AM »
what consequence (or "butt-kicking", if you will) could someone who is willing to accept the completely guaranteed destruction of their ship fear? It's not like if they go to lowsec it can be destroyed twice.

Are they not currently engaged in "World War Bee"?

From what I've read, a player (who happens to work for the defense department in real life), has been bank rolling a war on the goon squad for over a year - and managed to almost completely run them off the map.

Actually, from what I hear they're too scared to actually fight (because they'd lose their priceless ships!!), nor can they even leave the space station they're docked at!

(The goon squad is the corp of the guy accused of bullying mentioned earlier, for those who don't know...)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27568 on: May 18, 2017, 02:59:06 AM »
It is time once again for the Weekly Update:

Talks have stalled, but this is good news.  The THeM is gathering more information and formulating other startegies.  A NCSoft spokesperson said, "... of all the groups vying to purchase the once fabled game, City of Heroes, those THem fellas got about the best shot."

Now back to your ramblings already in progress.

Aron

• Underling
« Reply #27569 on: May 18, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »
Are they not currently engaged in "World War Bee"?

From what I've read, a player (who happens to work for the defense department in real life), has been bank rolling a war on the goon squad for over a year - and managed to almost completely run them off the map.

Actually, from what I hear they're too scared to actually fight (because they'd lose their priceless ships!!), nor can they even leave the space station they're docked at!

(The goon squad is the corp of the guy accused of bullying mentioned earlier, for those who don't know...)

"World War Bee" is considered by most to be long over.  Goonswarm got booted from the territory they were in but have since moved into a different area.  They seem to be a bit less belligerent then they used to be.   Though I have not paid any particular attention to the politics at that level.

Someone even made a nice little fan video about the end of the war.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcG_Kw7oOOY
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:52:43 PM by Aron »

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27570 on: May 20, 2017, 05:26:31 PM »
Sad how all hope is dying :(

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27571 on: May 20, 2017, 06:01:29 PM »

Not sure that's true, I know people have mafe efforts at making parts of the client or whatnot into various tools - some of which to my untrained eye look suspiciously like the beginnings of a game...

I said it earlier and I'll repeat it now - this has always been "Task Force Hail Mary", i.e a long shot - but as long as Titan remains & we remain a part of a community that does care CoH will be inching its way ever so slowly back to the players.

Hell, Jack Emmert himself still has interest in the game...

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #27572 on: May 20, 2017, 09:17:01 PM »
Hell, Jack Emmert himself still has interest in the game...

How do you know this, has he mentioned anything that I've missed?

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #27573 on: May 20, 2017, 09:23:55 PM »
... and isn't a concept present in EVE, since the game has no levels - and no, higher skillpoint totals can't all be brought to bear and aren't any guarantee of victory.

Characters used for ganking typically have relatively low numbers of skillpoints; you don't need many to gank. Any player with any number of skillpoints can defend themselves against ganking in EVE by tanking their ship, watching Local, and watching D-scan. People die to ganks not because the other party had more skillpoints; typically they died because they were AFK (evident from the number of podkills that follow; in highsec and lowsec, you can always get your pod out if you're paying attention.)

The objection you're making simply betrays a lack of knowledge of the game.

Gee, you make it sound like a veteran character has no significant advantage over one that's just starting out.

....which I know for a fact is bullshit.

But go ahead and keep nitpicking semantics.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27574 on: May 20, 2017, 09:35:21 PM »
How do you know this, has he mentioned anything that I've missed?

you missed nothing.  Literally

Surelle

« Reply #27575 on: May 21, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »

We're absolutely no worse off than ever, and I doubt there are too many old CoX players in 2017 still holding their breaths for an official NCSoft CoX rez.  Paragon Studios tried, Mercedes, Quinch & Crew tried, Nate & Crew tried, and heck, from what C. Bruce (Back Alley Brawler) said at his fairly recent AMA on Reddit, even Cryptic tried (when Jack Emmert was still there) to get the game back after Paragon Studios failed to wrest it from NCSoft's iron grip.

NCSoft chose to stick Tyrant/Statesman's shambling zombie rez into Master X Master instead.  Nuttin' we can do about it except keep an eye on the successor fan projects and Paragon Chat (which is rockin' hard these days!!) and see how those develop.  I have never given NCSoft even a dime nor a moment of my gaming time since the CoX shutdown announcement came, though, nor will I ever.  This I can be 100% sure of.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:54:01 AM by Surelle »

Surelle

« Reply #27576 on: May 21, 2017, 11:21:21 AM »
Gee, you make it sound like a veteran character has no significant advantage over one that's just starting out.

I definitely agree with you there!  However, I think disagreeing parties are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, lol.

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #27577 on: May 21, 2017, 12:43:28 PM »
We're absolutely no worse off than ever, and I doubt there are too many old CoX players in 2017 still holding their breaths for an official NCSoft CoX rez.  Paragon Studios tried, Mercedes, Quinch & Crew tried, Nate & Crew tried, and heck, from what C. Bruce (Back Alley Brawler) said at his fairly recent AMA on Reddit, even Cryptic tried (when Jack Emmert was still there) to get the game back after Paragon Studios failed to wrest it from NCSoft's iron grip.

NCSoft chose to stick Tyrant/Statesman's shambling zombie rez into Master X Master instead.  Nuttin' we can do about it except keep an eye on the successor fan projects and Paragon Chat (which is rockin' hard these days!!) and see how those develop.  I have never given NCSoft even a dime nor a moment of my gaming time since the CoX shutdown announcement came, though, nor will I ever.  This I can be 100% sure of.   ;)

Especially after the trainwreck that Wildstar turned out to be. Talk about wasted potential. I'll admit, though, that wasn't entirely NCSoft's fault. There were a lot of bad design decisions, and the refusal to consider a F2P model until it was too late hurt a lot, too. These days, F2P is pretty much the expected standard for an MMO, even if it's just the first 10 or so levels.

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27578 on: May 21, 2017, 08:50:06 PM »

80% of the effectiveness in 20% of the time (that is how the skill system is setup). And not all Skillpoints can be used in every single ship. The Veteran player has more *options* though... but having played in "crap fit fleets" in the past (basically, as cheap as you can make it) and week old character can quite easily fly some of the more versatile ships.

Side note: I guess that some people here would say that the Mittani had karma bite him in the butt a few months after his "Kill yourself" comment to the Eve Online player... shame it was Benghazi that caused him to lose a close friend.

Surelle

« Reply #27579 on: May 22, 2017, 01:39:49 AM »
80% of the effectiveness in 20% of the time (that is how the skill system is setup). And not all Skillpoints can be used in every single ship. The Veteran player has more *options* though... but having played in "crap fit fleets" in the past (basically, as cheap as you can make it) and week old character can quite easily fly some of the more versatile ships.

Side note: I guess that some people here would say that the Mittani had karma bite him in the butt a few months after his "Kill yourself" comment to the Eve Online player... shame it was Benghazi that caused him to lose a close friend.

If that's supposed to make me feel sorry for Mittens or see him in a more human light, it doesn't, sorry.  His friend wasn't merely some dose of karma biting King Mittens in the butt, either.  I feel sorry for the friend and the friend's family, though.