Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210052 times)

Aron

• Underling
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27580 on: May 22, 2017, 04:10:50 AM »
Gee, you make it sound like a veteran character has no significant advantage over one that's just starting out.

....which I know for a fact is bullshit.

But go ahead and keep nitpicking semantics.

Actually in the narrow circumstances of the high sec gank thundforces summation is fairly accurate.  The amount of skill points in any particular character doesn't make nearly as much of a difference as the experience of the player.  In the cases I'm aware of in which players avoided or resisted high sec ganks the skill points of the character were irrelevant.  What made the difference was quick thinking and alertness on the players part to resist the gank or teamwork to avoid it.  Conversely inattention or carelessness(e.g. AFK mining) virtually guarantees a loss regardless of relative character skill points under most circumstances.

Baaleos

• Boss
« Reply #27581 on: May 22, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »
We're absolutely no worse off than ever, and I doubt there are too many old CoX players in 2017 still holding their breaths for an official NCSoft CoX rez.  Paragon Studios tried, Mercedes, Quinch & Crew tried, Nate & Crew tried, and heck, from what C. Bruce (Back Alley Brawler) said at his fairly recent AMA on Reddit, even Cryptic tried (when Jack Emmert was still there) to get the game back after Paragon Studios failed to wrest it from NCSoft's iron grip.

NCSoft chose to stick Tyrant/Statesman's shambling zombie rez into Master X Master instead.  Nuttin' we can do about it except keep an eye on the successor fan projects and Paragon Chat (which is rockin' hard these days!!) and see how those develop.  I have never given NCSoft even a dime nor a moment of my gaming time since the CoX shutdown announcement came, though, nor will I ever.  This I can be 100% sure of.   ;)

TBH - Sitting around waiting for someone else to make a Spiritual City of Heroes successor seems counter productive.

Im finally taking the time to teach myself how to use Lumberyard (Amazon's Free AAA engine (based on Cryengine))
I got tired of having all these ideas for games that felt like such great ideas, they made me sad because I realised that the games would never exist, unless I went and made them.

Having read parts of the documentation, and having seen some tutorial videos on youtube, I think its feasible to get a very basic game put together that could do some of the things that City of Heroes did.
TBH - I am more interested in doing it because I just want to play a game that has realistic physics and telekinesis implemented in a way that I would love.
I made my own Telekinesis Weapons in Garrys Mod which made gravity and physics into weapons and I would love that effect in an MMO.

I have this vision of implementing telekinesis and gravity effects differently to how CoH did it.
I want physics calculations to become a weapon that affects damage calculations.
Eg: Telekinetic/Propel might lift an explosive canister from nearby to attack the enemy, or it might fling a fork lift.
One causes an explosion, the other doesn't  - They cause different damage types.
Also - I would like the ability to affect the environment more than CoH did.
Eg: See a skyscraper - shoot the side of it to break windows
Glass can then be picked up in wind,gravity,telekinetic effects and used as weapons.
No MMO has done it, but that's no reason to avoid trying it.

The only downside is that I wouldnt have a clue on how to get a costume creator up and running.
I plan on using royalty free assets and characters/animations from Mixamo.com
The animations are pretty much ready to go and perfect for a City of Heroes themed game.
The magic pack even has blocking animations - which would be great.
Have my own ideas for Blocking with telekinesis - actually catching or suspending Projectiles in the air while block is channeled - but your endurance/power is drained for each attack blocked, and your power regen is stunted significantly.

Movement in the game shouldn't be too hard - just need to decide how to implement flight.
WASD movement is easy, yet to figure out how do flight that is not rigid.
Eg: I imagine that once flight is turned on - I would need to turn the player into a physics object, and then apply velocity to them ,while maintaining their pose/animation/orientation.
That way - in tandem with air-brake/air resistance, pressing W while flying will move forward, but will eventually stop them moving forward once W is released. (Don't want to stop too abruptly)

I know a thousand pages back - Lumberyard was mentioned at its release time - but people said it wouldn't be feasible as a MMO engine.
https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/

But based on what I've seen of it - I haven't seen anything that the original CoH game provided that could not be accomplished in Lumberyard.
Each map could be a standalone server application, and players are handed off to other standalone server applications on area transition.
Yes - seems wasteful I know to have an application per map, but thats how the original CoH worked - it had map servers for each area. I remember the good ol Disconnected from Map Server error message.
That would be the quickest, easiest albeit dirtiest way of getting an online city-scape server up and running.

Based on the map size allowed by the engine - I think this sort of map would be totally feasible.
https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/exterior/cityscape/city-1

You could totally hide dozens if not hundreds of quest giving npcs and quest locations on that map, as well as NPC's.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27582 on: May 22, 2017, 06:18:11 PM »
Not sure that's true, I know people have mafe efforts at making parts of the client or whatnot into various tools - some of which to my untrained eye look suspiciously like the beginnings of a game...

I said it earlier and I'll repeat it now - this has always been "Task Force Hail Mary", i.e a long shot - but as long as Titan remains & we remain a part of a community that does care CoH will be inching its way ever so slowly back to the players.

Hell, Jack Emmert himself still has interest in the game...
Sorry for me not being clear but at the time of me posting that I was referring to how the page went 2 days without a post

triedac

• Minion
« Reply #27583 on: May 22, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »
Spot the hero in the mix. Dunno if this is old news or not, but I just found out about it. I have mixed feelings on it. Nice to see one of the heroes again, but not in the way I'd like :-/ Doesn't look good for the potential IP purchase as well.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27584 on: May 22, 2017, 09:31:55 PM »
Sorry for me not being clear but at the time of me posting that I was referring to how the page went 2 days without a post

Only the retconned version.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27585 on: May 23, 2017, 12:29:04 AM »
TBH - Sitting around waiting for someone else to make a Spiritual City of Heroes successor seems counter productive.

Im finally taking the time to teach myself how to use Lumberyard (Amazon's Free AAA engine (based on Cryengine))
I got tired of having all these ideas for games that felt like such great ideas, they made me sad because I realised that the games would never exist, unless I went and made them.

We learn by doing.

MGLZadok

• Minion
« Reply #27586 on: May 23, 2017, 04:02:29 AM »

I, too, have had this thought, but I have neither the time nor the patience to learn code or something like Lumberyard from the looks of it.  I don't even have the patience to mod games with mod programs like ModBuddy for Civ VI despite an idea for a Shattered Union mod I'd love to make.  I don't finish a lot of big projects.  Mostly daunting and fear of failure, I suppose.

What I have in spades are theorycrafted ways to make a spiritual successor work both financially with a model adapted from the unarguably successful League of Legends model as well as thematically.  In my inability (or unwillingness) to learn how to make games, I started working on a pen & paper RPG.  I've got 20 or 30 powersets (they're in a table so I haven't enumerated them nor have I listed the powers within them).  I also have 15 classes complete with a unique passive ability.  Each class is a combination of the two power types: melee, ranged, defense, support, control, and pets.  I could kick that up to 30 classes if I had a "primary" and "secondary" powerset function as CoX did, but passives were already getting similar.  I haven't gotten down to creating enemies so I don't necessarily have balance, but that can all be worked out. Again, not much of a technical guy but I can create lore for days.

I say all that to say this--I'm more than willing to help with lore in any game that would have me.  Anything that gets us closer to playing something as magical as City again.
Level 50s (Triumph)
Cybot 27 - Claws/Willpower Scrapper
Thelesis - Mind Control/Electricity Assault Dominator
Al'pha - Arachnos Crab Soldier
Damien Zadok - Soldiers/Pain Domination Mastermind

Baaleos

• Boss
« Reply #27587 on: May 23, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »
Last night I finally managed to get a character from Mixamo.com to move with WASD.
That being said - as soon as I turned on Character physics they ended up getting stuck in the mud.
Not sure why, they just couldnt move - like they became too heavy.... turned down their mass n stuff, but no movement anymore.

Its annoying, cause Character physics is what will bind them to the ground/gravity so they don't fly through the air while walking.

Of course - I haven't got walking animations figured out yet, at the moment its the character mesh in a T pose floating left,right, forward and backwards.
Unfortunately the documentation on Lumberyard is not very 'troubleshooting friendly'

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #27588 on: May 23, 2017, 06:15:11 PM »
Have been wondering for a while if NCSoft aren't willing to sell the IP, why can't they allow for the game to go in to maintenance mode, with the community running it? Is it viable or just a pipe dream?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #27589 on: May 23, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »
Have been wondering for a while if NCSoft aren't willing to sell the IP, why can't they allow for the game to go in to maintenance mode, with the community running it? Is it viable or just a pipe dream?

It's a cultural thing.  If someone else can make a go of the game when they can't, that's embarrassing and not something they're going to risk.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27590 on: May 23, 2017, 07:52:21 PM »
Spot the hero in the mix. Dunno if this is old news or not, but I just found out about it. I have mixed feelings on it. Nice to see one of the heroes again, but not in the way I'd like :-/ Doesn't look good for the potential IP purchase as well.

Given I recognize 1 out of 15 characters in the image. . . Eesh.

Funny to see video games using fat characters nowadays.  There was a time you wouldn't see such, but for some weird reason, fighting games seem to use them.  Is it something about portly people beating athletic people up?

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #27591 on: May 23, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »

I have been wondering if anyone here can get in touch with NC Soft and ask them if they would put City of Heroes,Tabula Rasa,Auto Assault,and Dungeon Runners on server and charge us $15 a month.Leave them in maintenance mode and we have access to all four
games.They get to keep the IP's make money and hardly have to do any work.Maybe instead of trying to buy it someone can tell
them how easy it would be for them to make money and get people back who will never play any of their games again.I know until
CoX is back I will never touch one of their games.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #27592 on: May 23, 2017, 09:54:29 PM »
It's a cultural thing.  If someone else can make a go of the game when they can't, that's embarrassing and not something they're going to risk.

Would it be embarrassing to them to place it in maintenance mode for the community, no other parties making a go of it, still there property and no risk to them  plus giving themselves something positive to the gaming community. Which a large majority from what I can tell don't think that highly of NCSoft at present, cultural or not positive vibes for the company can only be good. Just my thoughts...

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #27593 on: May 23, 2017, 10:35:16 PM »
Given I recognize 1 out of 15 characters in the image. . . Eesh.

Funny to see video games using fat characters nowadays.  There was a time you wouldn't see such, but for some weird reason, fighting games seem to use them.  Is it something about portly people beating athletic people up?
Okay, left to right: Squanchy Bird, Squanchy Bird Perch, Squanchy Lizard Head on a Stick Holder, Squanchy Lizard, Squanchy Batter, Squanchy Lava Rock, Squanchy Twintails, Squanchy Riveter, Squanchy Dino Skull Face, Squanchy Long Gun, Squanchy Crystal Butt, Squanchy Powersuit, Squanchy Feather Ruff, Squanchy Statesman, Squanchy Go-Pro Head, and Squanchy Business Very Casual Maelstrom.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27594 on: May 24, 2017, 02:22:25 AM »
Okay, left to right: Squanchy Bird, Squanchy Bird Perch, Squanchy Lizard Head on a Stick Holder, Squanchy Lizard, Squanchy Batter, Squanchy Lava Rock, Squanchy Twintails, Squanchy Riveter, Squanchy Dino Skull Face, Squanchy Long Gun, Squanchy Crystal Butt, Squanchy Powersuit, Squanchy Feather Ruff, Squanchy Statesman, Squanchy Go-Pro Head, and Squanchy Business Very Casual Maelstrom.

Quan-Chi Statesman?

MORTAL KOMBAT.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27595 on: May 24, 2017, 03:01:24 AM »
Last night I finally managed to get a character from Mixamo.com to move with WASD.
That being said - as soon as I turned on Character physics they ended up getting stuck in the mud.
Not sure why, they just couldnt move - like they became too heavy.... turned down their mass n stuff, but no movement anymore.

Its annoying, cause Character physics is what will bind them to the ground/gravity so they don't fly through the air while walking.

Of course - I haven't got walking animations figured out yet, at the moment its the character mesh in a T pose floating left,right, forward and backwards.
Unfortunately the documentation on Lumberyard is not very 'troubleshooting friendly'

That's cool, but when are you going to get power customization working?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27596 on: May 24, 2017, 03:05:58 AM »
That's cool, but when are you going to get power customization working?

That can be added later. Top priorities are always fingers and hair.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27597 on: May 24, 2017, 06:06:56 AM »

NSFW: Rick and Morty joke.
Spoiler for Hidden:
There's only one real Squanchy I recognize.  And he doesn't look like any of them.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27598 on: May 24, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
How do you know this, has he mentioned anything that I've missed?

Well, I don't know if you saw it, but years ago, fresh after the closure, Jack suggested NCSoft call him or maybe it was Positron - and he would see what he could do to persuade them.

It's been a long time, so the details aren't fresh for me.

But, basically Jack was willing to use whatever pull he had to get them to sell or release the IP.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #27599 on: May 24, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »
culture clash, which is why it baffles me that they ran it in the west for so long rather then handing it over to some one here who understood western gamers better.....
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!