Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7270168 times)

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27620 on: May 28, 2017, 05:40:04 PM »
We've been quite and keeping things low key for a long time now. My Hail Mary bet is when NCsoft launch Master X Master in the summer and  if it fails I still believe we have some shed of light at the end of the tunnel. NCsoft's 1st Quarter didn't do so well so far so that's something. However, if we reach the 5th Anniversary of the shut down all bets are off.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27621 on: May 28, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »
On topic:
i'll admit the complete lack of any official word from the buyout team for over two years is somewhat disheartening, but i remain optimistic that we'll have something in the vein of CoH to play eventually. i've got plenty of other co-op games (computer and tabletop) to keep me busy in the meantime.

We never had any official word from them did we?

I thought both Ironwolf & Nate knew people within the group, but I wasn't aware any of the group themselves actually ever posted here officially.

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #27622 on: May 28, 2017, 11:46:18 PM »

I thought both Ironwolf & Nate knew people within the group, but I wasn't aware any of the group themselves actually ever posted here officially.

Where is Ironwolf? I feel like I haven't heard from him in a while.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #27623 on: May 29, 2017, 12:10:42 AM »

Nope, but we haven't even had semi-official word from anyone involved in getting it going either. So there was never anything directly from the group in the first place, but my point was that i would've hoped that they could've made some sort of an official announcement or update by now. Either way it's been bupkis since the news first leaked.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27624 on: May 29, 2017, 12:20:40 AM »
Nope, but we haven't even had semi-official word from anyone involved in getting it going either. So there was never anything directly from the group in the first place, but my point was that i would've hoped that they could've made some sort of an official announcement or update by now. Either way it's been bupkis since the news first leaked.

NDA's.....gotta hate them.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #27625 on: May 29, 2017, 04:14:55 AM »
i remain optimistic that we'll have something in the vein of CoH to play eventually. i've got plenty of other co-op games (computer and tabletop) to keep me busy in the meantime.
I think "in the vein of" is key.  Much as I'd like to play CoH again, there's only so long the "good fight" can go on.

Of course, we were never much for giving up...

...kin/sonic.  Just for the record.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #27626 on: May 29, 2017, 02:53:54 PM »
I think "in the vein of" is key.  Much as I'd like to play CoH again, there's only so long the "good fight" can go on.

Of course, we were never much for giving up...

...kin/sonic.  Just for the record.
Chatterbox is a character name i never used, but would work for a Kin/Sonic.
Oh, i'm confident we'll have something (or multiple somethings) in the relatively near future, including the possibility of the original CoH being playable, but not necessarily this year.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

ike

• Minion
  • palms spaghetti, knees weak arms spaghetti
« Reply #27627 on: May 29, 2017, 06:28:28 PM »
I wish we could at least know what stage theyre at in negotiations
hat extraordinare

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27628 on: May 29, 2017, 06:33:56 PM »
I wish we could at least know what stage theyre at in negotiations

We do know.

They are at the "We're not done, yet. And if you need to know about anything exciting or disappointing, we'll tell you when we're ready." stage.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

ike

• Minion
« Reply #27629 on: May 29, 2017, 06:34:50 PM »
couldnt that describe any stage
hat extraordinare

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27630 on: May 29, 2017, 07:29:57 PM »
couldnt that describe any stage

Nope.

It would not describe "Guacamole" stage. Besides, you do not have the clearance for that stage. So you will never know once it's been implemented.  8)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #27631 on: May 29, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »
We do know.

They are at the "We're not done, yet. And if you need to know about anything exciting or disappointing, we'll tell you when we're ready." stage.

Are you sure they'll be able to tell us if an NDA is still in force? And with Statesman being in a MOBA now does that not say that things may not be going as planned or could it be a promotional thing to possibly help with a relaunch...

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27632 on: May 29, 2017, 08:39:02 PM »
It is time once again for the Pantless Report:

Greeting and such:
Today it was learned that Statesman is indeed and infact in other MMORPG's other than CoH/CoV.  In the City universe, Statesman checked out.  Apparently freeing him up to journey to other on-line games.  If my staff did the research correctly, Statesman exited the City universe before the announcement of its closure.  That Statesman is a shrewed character.  Bets around the office says that Statesman refuses to be out-done by his granddaughter, Ms. Liberty.  Ms. Liberty is in three places at once in the City universe.  Statesman plans to be in at least three games at once in the NCSoft multiverse.

Now back to your pointless blather already in-progress.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27633 on: May 29, 2017, 11:29:07 PM »
Are you sure they'll be able to tell us if an NDA is still in force? And with Statesman being in a MOBA now does that not say that things may not be going as planned or could it be a promotional thing to possibly help with a relaunch...

Just retcon the game and the lore to completely remove Statesman, and his counter parts Reichsman and Tyrant. 
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

ike

• Minion
« Reply #27634 on: May 30, 2017, 01:00:54 AM »

honestly I almost feel like it's the latter

like city of heroes has been dead for 4 years now, going on 5

it appeared to be such a dead IP to NCSoft that the game isnt even mentioned anywhere on their site

so why on god's green earth did they decide to stick its most recognizable face in their new MOBA?

it just doesnt make sense to me, you'd think it'd be hinting at a revival
hat extraordinare

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27635 on: May 30, 2017, 01:08:30 AM »
honestly I almost feel like it's the latter

Nate Downes is the closest contact we have with the team - he's all bar said the deal is dead...

ike

• Minion
« Reply #27636 on: May 30, 2017, 02:00:38 AM »
can we get some sort of confirmation on that
hat extraordinare

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27637 on: May 30, 2017, 02:21:41 AM »
Just retcon the game and the lore to completely remove Statesman, and his counter parts Reichsman and Tyrant.

or simply put a statement in the contract that ncsoft retains the ability to continue to use any characters currently in use.

Surelle

« Reply #27638 on: May 30, 2017, 02:33:45 AM »
can we get some sort of confirmation on that

Read back through this very thread.  There are multiple quotes from Nate from CoX Facebook posts saying it was only ever a longshot anyways, etc.  And there are other bits of info on potential reasons Statesman/Tyrant got chucked into Master X Master, and some comments also from Nate, regarding the fact that dead trademarks can expire if left unused.  Nate said he even has to release t-shirts for City of Titans to keep its unused (dead) trademark going for the same reason (CoT isn't live yet of course).

Honestly, even the brand manager at NCSoft whose decision it was to bring Statesman into MxM has said he can't get us CoX back in recent MxM interviews.  He got approval to move Statesman into MxM back in 2014, which is the time period when Nate's TFHM group was attempting to rez CoX/lease the IP.  Clearly NCSoft wasn't taking that too seriously as they approved the MxM thing instead.

Luckily, we have Paragon Chat.  To me, that's the closest thing we're ever going to get to seeing CoX running ever again.  It's been 5 years since the closure, and several years since the final TFHM group (of which there were others previous to that even) tried anything to save our city.  Paragon Chat has really grown since its inception, and I'm hoping it keeps charging forward.  It's way better than zero.  Have you tried it?

We also have several spiritual successors, all of whom seem quite intent upon coming to fruition.   Name one other shuttered MMORPG that has that!   8)  So all hope is not lost, even though it may not be focused on rezzing CoH anymore.  At least we do have similar things to look forward to!

ike

• Minion
« Reply #27639 on: May 30, 2017, 03:26:19 AM »
problem with paragon chat is that besides the character creation, it's nothing that I played CoH for

it's great for all the roleplayer folks but everything I loved about the game lies in its combat

not that it's particularly deep or anything but forming a team and tackling trials and the sheer number of particle effects being thrown around, the sound design and the atmosphere of the fight versus a big bad boss, BAF trials especially were a spectacle to be witnessed.

even just people pulling out their pets and passive abilities in atlas plaza was fun to see

creating missions in architect

talking to folks while grinding and power levelling

none of that is in paragon chat or any other MMO
hat extraordinare