Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210405 times)

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27680 on: June 08, 2017, 10:15:52 AM »
I want to say something in regards to old news.

NcSoft putting Statesman in MXM was a bargaining chip.
Here's why:
When I was a kid, my parents bought a new house in another city for us to move to. It was being built.
It was a new area. On the other side of the street was all farm land owned by 1 man.
So picture a line dividing brand new suburbs, with brand new houses stretching back so far and across the street there is just massive empty land and forest.

The farmer never used the land at all since we moved there. He just had the land. He knew the contractors were probably salivating to buy it to build more houses on his side.
They thought they had leverage because he wasn't using the land.

What do you think this guy does after us being there for 5 years?... He grows corn on the entire land one summer. 
It was basically a "See, I'm using the land, making all this corn here, nom nom nom"
Then right after that, He ended up getting way more than the original offer. The year after, houses were being built across the street.
He also got a free house as part of the deal on top of the money and lived near us.  (This is a true story based on real events)

My guess is, there probably is another bidder for the game and/or the price has gone up for the IP perhaps.
Keep hope...

I like the way you're thinking, I've never lost hope that one day I'll be able to team up for missions with my friends again, reunite with fellow CoH players "keep the torch burning "

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27681 on: June 08, 2017, 11:27:26 PM »
I want to say something in regards to old news.

NcSoft putting Statesman in MXM was a bargaining chip.
Here's why:
When I was a kid, my parents bought a new house in another city for us to move to. It was being built.
It was a new area. On the other side of the street was all farm land owned by 1 man.
So picture a line dividing brand new suburbs, with brand new houses stretching back so far and across the street there is just massive empty land and forest.

The farmer never used the land at all since we moved there. He just had the land. He knew the contractors were probably salivating to buy it to build more houses on his side.
They thought they had leverage because he wasn't using the land.

What do you think this guy does after us being there for 5 years?... He grows corn on the entire land one summer. 
It was basically a "See, I'm using the land, making all this corn here, nom nom nom"
Then right after that, He ended up getting way more than the original offer. The year after, houses were being built across the street.
He also got a free house as part of the deal on top of the money and lived near us.  (This is a true story based on real events)

My guess is, there probably is another bidder for the game and/or the price has gone up for the IP perhaps.
Keep hope...

???

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #27682 on: June 13, 2017, 01:57:55 AM »
I like the way you're thinking, I've never lost hope that one day I'll be able to team up for missions with my friends again, reunite with fellow CoH players "keep the torch burning "
no have I. One day I truly believe we will all be flying over Paragon City one day, sooner or later.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27683 on: June 13, 2017, 07:46:44 PM »
TBH - Sitting around waiting for someone else to make a Spiritual City of Heroes successor seems counter productive.

Im finally taking the time to teach myself how to use Lumberyard (Amazon's Free AAA engine (based on Cryengine))
I got tired of having all these ideas for games that felt like such great ideas, they made me sad because I realised that the games would never exist, unless I went and made them.

Having read parts of the documentation, and having seen some tutorial videos on youtube, I think its feasible to get a very basic game put together that could do some of the things that City of Heroes did.
TBH - I am more interested in doing it because I just want to play a game that has realistic physics and telekinesis implemented in a way that I would love.
I made my own Telekinesis Weapons in Garrys Mod which made gravity and physics into weapons and I would love that effect in an MMO.

I have this vision of implementing telekinesis and gravity effects differently to how CoH did it.
I want physics calculations to become a weapon that affects damage calculations.
Eg: Telekinetic/Propel might lift an explosive canister from nearby to attack the enemy, or it might fling a fork lift.
One causes an explosion, the other doesn't  - They cause different damage types.
Also - I would like the ability to affect the environment more than CoH did.
Eg: See a skyscraper - shoot the side of it to break windows
Glass can then be picked up in wind,gravity,telekinetic effects and used as weapons.
No MMO has done it, but that's no reason to avoid trying it.

The only downside is that I wouldnt have a clue on how to get a costume creator up and running.
I plan on using royalty free assets and characters/animations from Mixamo.com
The animations are pretty much ready to go and perfect for a City of Heroes themed game.
The magic pack even has blocking animations - which would be great.
Have my own ideas for Blocking with telekinesis - actually catching or suspending Projectiles in the air while block is channeled - but your endurance/power is drained for each attack blocked, and your power regen is stunted significantly.

Movement in the game shouldn't be too hard - just need to decide how to implement flight.
WASD movement is easy, yet to figure out how do flight that is not rigid.
Eg: I imagine that once flight is turned on - I would need to turn the player into a physics object, and then apply velocity to them ,while maintaining their pose/animation/orientation.
That way - in tandem with air-brake/air resistance, pressing W while flying will move forward, but will eventually stop them moving forward once W is released. (Don't want to stop too abruptly)

I know a thousand pages back - Lumberyard was mentioned at its release time - but people said it wouldn't be feasible as a MMO engine.
https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/

But based on what I've seen of it - I haven't seen anything that the original CoH game provided that could not be accomplished in Lumberyard.
Each map could be a standalone server application, and players are handed off to other standalone server applications on area transition.
Yes - seems wasteful I know to have an application per map, but thats how the original CoH worked - it had map servers for each area. I remember the good ol Disconnected from Map Server error message.
That would be the quickest, easiest albeit dirtiest way of getting an online city-scape server up and running.

Based on the map size allowed by the engine - I think this sort of map would be totally feasible.
https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/exterior/cityscape/city-1

You could totally hide dozens if not hundreds of quest giving npcs and quest locations on that map, as well as NPC's.
Lumberyard is a fork from the Cryengine, which CoT used early in its development, before switching to Unreal. It is a solid engine, and will serve you well.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #27684 on: June 14, 2017, 02:47:30 AM »
Lumberyard is a fork from the Cryengine, which CoT used early in its development, before switching to Unreal. It is a solid engine, and will serve you well.
Fork combat set confirmed :D

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #27685 on: June 14, 2017, 02:55:36 AM »
Lumberjack set too!  ;D

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27686 on: June 14, 2017, 03:13:20 AM »

Lumberjack set too!  ;D

I want to make a Lumberjack/Fork Scrapper and scarf down a Lumberjack stack of flapjacks.

Or, maybe make a ??/Forks Defender. May the Forks be with you.

I think I should probably go to bed.

going a week on 2 hours of sleep a night works wonders on your imagination...?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27687 on: June 15, 2017, 01:46:26 AM »

I want to make a Lumberjack/Fork Scrapper and scarf down a Lumberjack stack of flapjacks.

Or, maybe make a ??/Forks Defender. May the Forks be with you.

I think I should probably go to bed.

going a week on 2 hours of sleep a night works wonders on your imagination...?

Thats unforktunate

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #27688 on: June 16, 2017, 02:17:54 AM »
Just as long as we can acquire the Fork of Horripilation.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27689 on: June 16, 2017, 03:58:00 AM »
Thats unforktunate

hopefully just a tiney inconvenience.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27690 on: June 16, 2017, 02:16:45 PM »
I am wondering has anyone tried to talk Bezos into developing a gaming division for Amazon?  He's buying Whole Foods.  Why not start a gaming division too?  They could jump start it with return of CoH.
No Surrender!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27691 on: June 16, 2017, 08:47:11 PM »
I am wondering has anyone tried to talk Bezos into developing a gaming division for Amazon?  He's buying Whole Foods.  Why not start a gaming division too?  They could jump start it with return of CoH.

I believe Amazon already has a gaming division.  They own Twitch and if I am not mistaken their game Breakaway just hit Alpha. 

cmgangrel

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27692 on: June 16, 2017, 09:27:31 PM »
I believe Amazon already has a gaming division.  They own Twitch and if I am not mistaken their game Breakaway just hit Alpha.

They even have a website Amazon Game Studios. Imaginative name eh?

But yes, Breakaway, New World and Crucible are their three current games in development, and they have 3 studios in the US already (Orange County and San Diego, California; Seattle, Washington)

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #27693 on: June 18, 2017, 03:39:55 PM »
no have I. One day I truly believe we will all be flying over Paragon City one day, sooner or later.

Even if it's in the form of someone finally cobbling together a "proper" server emulator. Paragon Chat is nice for strolling down memory lane, but I wanna blast bad guys. ;p

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #27694 on: June 18, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »
Even if it's in the form of someone finally cobbling together a "proper" server emulator. Paragon Chat is nice for strolling down memory lane, but I wanna blast bad guys. ;p

Kil Skulls

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #27695 on: June 19, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »
Darn, still no CoH?

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27696 on: June 19, 2017, 02:20:11 PM »
Darn, still no CoH?

there is Paragon Chat  ;)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #27697 on: June 19, 2017, 05:21:13 PM »
Article in Forbes regarding NCSoft, interesting read, my first thoughts were along the lines of "Then why did you shut down CoH, which appealed to the Western Market" even the comments listed mention CoH.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2017/05/23/ncsoft-goes-west-how-the-korean-video-game-giant-is-translating-success/#36ba0e8e6b59

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27698 on: June 19, 2017, 05:25:35 PM »
Article in Forbes regarding NCSoft, interesting read, my first thoughts were along the lines of "Then why did you shut down CoH, which appealed to the Western Market" even the comments listed mention CoH.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2017/05/23/ncsoft-goes-west-how-the-korean-video-game-giant-is-translating-success/#36ba0e8e6b59
I mean... Its just another exhibit of how clueless, careless or blind they really are. Everyone already knows that.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #27699 on: June 19, 2017, 10:44:57 PM »
I mean... Its just another exhibit of how clueless, careless or blind they really are. Everyone already knows that.
Anyone else notice there was no mention of City of.? The whole article read as a sells pitch, if they really cared about the Western players, they would have done one of two things. 1) they should have kept the game going. or 2) sold the game. Either of which happened.