Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7279979 times)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27880 on: August 04, 2017, 06:39:54 PM »
Tubbius the Rotund and Benevolent needs a shower.  Are there any complaints?

Well, we are in a drought here in Southern California...

No complaints from me.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27881 on: August 04, 2017, 08:20:56 PM »

Try to leave a bit of the muskiness we all know and love.

Primus1

• Minion
« Reply #27882 on: August 04, 2017, 10:52:09 PM »
Anyone checked out Agents of Mayhem? Even box art reminded me of the CoH box!

City roof hopping :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw10aM1fJQI

For a brief moment, it felt like a 2017 version of COH.
Makes me sad that a company with that ability wouldn't likely ever make a superhero click based mmo. :(

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27883 on: August 05, 2017, 12:04:14 AM »
No more Atlas Park Revival? Wow that's.......heartbreaking, waste of time and energy. They did all the hard work for nothing. What a shame!  >:(

Has anyone talked to Caitlyn? One of her last posts on the Atlas Park Revival Facebook page said she'd gotten out of the hospital in July 2016. Maybe her health has taken a turn for the worse. >.>

Regardless of whether or not she's able to continue APR she's done a lot for the community and I hope she's doing okay.

Surelle

« Reply #27884 on: August 05, 2017, 03:38:38 AM »
Has anyone talked to Caitlyn? One of her last posts on the Atlas Park Revival Facebook page said she'd gotten out of the hospital in July 2016. Maybe her health has taken a turn for the worse. >.>

Regardless of whether or not she's able to continue APR she's done a lot for the community and I hope she's doing okay.

I hope she's doing okay, too!

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #27885 on: August 05, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »

First time since shutdown?

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27886 on: August 05, 2017, 05:35:58 PM »
First time since shutdown?

Of course not!  Tubbius showers often.  :)  Now, though, Tubbius is about to take a nap while his Xbox 360 patches Lego Dimensions.  He hasn't logged into that game for a long time, so it has 1.9 GB to download.  :(

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27887 on: August 06, 2017, 02:15:17 AM »
Try to leave a bit of the muskiness we all know and love.

Tubbius is musky?  :o

Tubbius does not stink, does he?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27888 on: August 06, 2017, 10:35:55 AM »
Only that one time you stepped in the reindeer poop.

So today i read a comical booklet where Cyborg's dad scolded him for playing football when his "intellect is in the 100th percentile." Then i played NBA 2k17 and earned a +1 to my intangibles. What kind of crazy routines are people throwing down these days?

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #27889 on: August 06, 2017, 11:53:45 PM »
What kind of crazy routines are people throwing down these days?
So I played with my corgi puppy and then got on GTA and did a yacht defense and delivered some gun running equipment

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27890 on: August 07, 2017, 02:11:46 AM »
The routines question was more rhetorical, as in what sorts of routines would prompt people to come up with tangible intangibles and 100th percentiles, but that sounds fun other than the dog bit.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #27891 on: August 07, 2017, 04:26:27 AM »
Question, I have begun to write a super hero book, can I use the phrase, City of heroes?
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #27892 on: August 07, 2017, 08:31:28 AM »
Question, I have begun to write a super hero book, can I use the phrase, City of heroes?

Yeah all the words are pretty generic... I mean they used it as an episode title for Arrow.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #27893 on: August 08, 2017, 08:20:12 AM »

You may use it in the text.  Do not capitalize any of the letters (Unless you are starting the sentence with "city of..."  You may not use it as a title.  NCSoft still has the phrase trademarked for book titles and book series titles as well as game titles.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #27894 on: August 08, 2017, 08:55:56 AM »
You may use it in the text.  Do not capitalize any of the letters (Unless you are starting the sentence with "city of..."  You may not use it as a title.  NCSoft still has the phrase trademarked for book titles and book series titles as well as game titles.
Thank you for the answer :), and thank you Prince, sorry I couldn't get back to you.
In my epilogue, I wanted the reader to know that the city they are in, is now a city o heroes. :)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #27895 on: August 11, 2017, 09:32:03 PM »
3 days without any new posts?  That's got to be a subject worthy of discussion, in and of itself!  Have we finally run out of things to say about pretty much anything to keep this thread going?  ;)
What was no more, is now reborn!

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
« Reply #27896 on: August 11, 2017, 11:19:02 PM »
Doc Artz

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27897 on: August 12, 2017, 02:39:09 AM »
Thank you for the answer :), and thank you Prince, sorry I couldn't get back to you.
In my epilogue, I wanted the reader to know that the city they are in, is now a city o heroes. :)

Word of caution.  The phrase "City of Heroes" is trademark protected but not copyright protected, as VV indicated, which allows you to use the phrase generically (which is why she said don't capitalize or use as a title, which would turn it into a proper noun, which would be more shaky).  But the City of Heroes game content and the constellation of books and comics are copyright protected, and copyright protection is a bit tricky.  Trademark protection is pretty straight forward: don't use the mark to identify your own products, brand, or company, or attempt to confuse your use with the protected use.  That's why I can use the phrase "City of Heroes" here: I'm referencing the real product, but I'm not using the phrase to identify one of my products or my company itself.  I'm not using the mark to conduct business, I'm just using the phrase to discuss the subject.

Copyright protection has more judgment calls, to put it one way.  Using the phrase "city of heroes" is not going to cause problems unto itself, but you need to be careful you don't reference too many other City of Heroes content obliquely.  If there is too much similarity between elements of your story and City of Heroes game or other content, a nod/wink use of the phrase could become the straw that breaks the camel's back.

As long as the rest of the story is an original work with no connection to City of Heroes except for obvious generic story elements, the phrase itself shouldn't be a problem.  Disclaimer: I am not a copyright attorney.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #27898 on: August 12, 2017, 04:56:19 AM »
Word of caution.  The phrase "City of Heroes" is trademark protected but not copyright protected, as VV indicated, which allows you to use the phrase generically (which is why she said don't capitalize or use as a title, which would turn it into a proper noun, which would be more shaky).  But the City of Heroes game content and the constellation of books and comics are copyright protected, and copyright protection is a bit tricky.  Trademark protection is pretty straight forward: don't use the mark to identify your own products, brand, or company, or attempt to confuse your use with the protected use.  That's why I can use the phrase "City of Heroes" here: I'm referencing the real product, but I'm not using the phrase to identify one of my products or my company itself.  I'm not using the mark to conduct business, I'm just using the phrase to discuss the subject.

Copyright protection has more judgment calls, to put it one way.  Using the phrase "city of heroes" is not going to cause problems unto itself, but you need to be careful you don't reference too many other City of Heroes content obliquely.  If there is too much similarity between elements of your story and City of Heroes game or other content, a nod/wink use of the phrase could become the straw that breaks the camel's back.

As long as the rest of the story is an original work with no connection to City of Heroes except for obvious generic story elements, the phrase itself shouldn't be a problem.  Disclaimer: I am not a copyright attorney.
that is very true. :), That is why I am making very certain not to run a foul of copy rights. In my horror book, which has five more chapters to write, I used Paragon as a street. And a few other names, that I switched around. So they are paying homage to City of. while not running into copy rights.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27899 on: August 12, 2017, 06:28:50 AM »
Tubbius is home from the beach.

Children did not try to roll His Snoozing Rotundity too far into the surf, at least.