Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7274241 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27980 on: October 05, 2017, 07:42:15 AM »
I'll amend my statement to "I hope they have a way to charge the batteries on delivery".

Ships tend to have these freaking big generators....
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27981 on: October 05, 2017, 02:39:55 PM »
That's true, ships do have electricity.

To minimize moving the batteries around, you'd probably build a dockside charging network.

Those pieces and parts you could certainly fly in.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27982 on: October 05, 2017, 02:42:42 PM »
Hi friends.  Page 1400 now.  :)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #27983 on: October 05, 2017, 04:23:24 PM »
Hi friends.  Page 1400 now.  :)

And that is after it was trimmed down!

Still kind of a bummer that at this point in time, all we can do is talk about, and hope fervently for, the game to come back in some form.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27984 on: October 05, 2017, 09:30:57 PM »
Let's hope they charged them up before shipping.

The batteries are not there to supply electricity.  They are there to store electricity generated from solar panels.

This requires some explanation.  Most solar energy systems have no way to store power.  They generate electricity and that power has to go somewhere.  If the power can't go anywhere or if you can't use it all at the source, you actually have to shut them off to prevent them from being damaged.  Normally that power goes to the electrical utility that transmits that power throughout the electrical grid for customers to use.  There is a complicated balancing act that has to happen here, but that's the short of it.

There are isolated solar power generating systems on Puerto Rico, but those systems are almost useless without a functioning electrical power grind to transport the power around, and at the moment Puerto Rico has no electrical grid: it was mostly destroyed by the storms.  The batteries can be installed at the locations where functioning solar generating systems still exist, or mated to new solar systems that can be shipped there, to provide local power.  Power can be generated and stored during the day and used at night.  That is extremely useful.  It allows for a decentralized power generation and utilization system to be created at least sporadically throughout the region to give some electrical power back to communities.

Solar power is a great way to bring a lot of decentralized electrical power on-line in a short amount of time, but its usefulness is very severely hampered if you have no way to store the power.  Solar panels + powerwall batteries can bring 24-hour power to a location without a functioning electrical utility.  Which Puerto Rico won't have for quite some time.

About ten years ago there was an earthquake in Hawaii that caused the electrical grid safety systems to trip mostly statewide.  On the island of Oahu (where Honolulu is located) the entire power grid basically turned off.  Even though there was no damage from the earthquake itself, it took over twelve hours for power to be restored to most locations and some places were without power for over twenty four hours.  We had to perform what is termed a "black start" on the island.  Because we live on an island, we cannot get electrical power from neighboring states.  That's a problem because almost all of the power generation plants on the island require electricity to start them, which is an interesting catch-22.

What the power company had to do was to start some special diesel generators near Pearl Harbor that could self-start.  They are tiny but can generate enough power to light up that generation station.  But first they actually had to completely disconnect the electrical grid from that station.  It is impossible to start those tiny generators while the entire state grid is attached to them: the load would kill them.  Once they were running, they had to deliberately disconnect everyone from everyone else on the grid, and then selectively open the transmission lines that would carry power from those generators to another main generation station across the island.  Then use that power to start that station.  Then start connecting small parts of the grid to that station and then send power to the rest of the power stations.  And so on, using each station to reenergize small parts of the island and also bring up the other stations.

All this is separate from the fact that when you shut down the power grid, you can't keep the generators running so you have to shut them down, and they are steam powered plants.  Simultaneously you have the problem that the generators are too hot to do anything to them initially, and then when they cool off enough to inspect and restart them all the steam has condensed to water which can destroy the generator parts, so they have to be cleaned.  It can take hours to properly shut down a generator station, and then hours to properly start it again, all while needing electrical power you don't have until another station can start up.

Puerto Rico has all the problems we had, combined with most of the electrical grid and much of the power stations themselves damaged or destroyed.  It could easily take months to repair, inspect, and restart the electrical grid, and even when they begin doing so it will have to happen in a slow motion phased in version of what we had to do when everything was basically okay from the start.

If you wait for everything to be fine everywhere in Puerto Rico, you could be waiting a long time for electricity.  Having an alternative that can be put online immediately to serve small areas disconnected from each other is potentially a life-saving measure.  The powerwall batteries are one component in a decentralized electrical option for parts of Puerto Rico.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27985 on: October 06, 2017, 02:26:05 AM »

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27986 on: October 06, 2017, 03:49:10 AM »
I'll amend my statement to "I hope they have a way to charge the batteries on delivery".

Pants don't use batteries.
Now there are battery powered socks, but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish of a different color, I have to fry.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27988 on: October 06, 2017, 07:48:18 PM »
You don't have the right pants.

or the wrong ones

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27989 on: October 07, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
This has become a pantastrophy!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

HorseManDemon

• Minion
« Reply #27991 on: October 07, 2017, 04:53:18 PM »

women-led-pants

Now I just find myself wondering WHERE the women led the pants.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #27992 on: October 07, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »
Well this had gotten weird :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27993 on: October 08, 2017, 01:01:28 AM »

when doesn't it get weird around here?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27994 on: October 08, 2017, 07:18:11 PM »

Weird is pretty much what we have left in lieu of actual news.  :-\

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #27995 on: October 08, 2017, 10:06:11 PM »
Weird is pretty much what we have left in lieu of actual news.  :-\

The madness effects everyone in different ways, the Roleplay board is just one guy whose been rping with himself alone for at least two years now.

indiramourning

• Minion
« Reply #27996 on: October 09, 2017, 12:06:21 AM »
The madness effects everyone in different ways, the Roleplay board is just one guy whose been rping with himself alone for at least two years now.
Um...  that kind of describes my entire life ever since CoH went down  :P  ;D

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27997 on: October 09, 2017, 12:51:14 AM »

...and Paragon Chat makes that so much easier!  Wait...What???

ike

• Minion
  • palms spaghetti, knees weak arms spaghetti
« Reply #27998 on: October 10, 2017, 12:33:27 AM »
whens the last time this thread saw real news?
hat extraordinare

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27999 on: October 10, 2017, 01:10:06 AM »
Earlier this year?  See March 2017.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran