Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210663 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28100 on: November 15, 2017, 03:49:14 PM »

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #28101 on: November 16, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »
[ Etc. ]

I don't know much (anything) about coding games. How hard would it be to just build something similar enough from the ground up using the same visuals? I guess that's basically what the successor projects are doing, but with different visuals, but with CoH at least we have an idea of what the numbers should "feel" like or actually be, right?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:59:24 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Golden Aurora

• Boss
« Reply #28102 on: November 16, 2017, 11:13:23 PM »
Well, look at it this way. It took a dev team however many years to create the first iteration of city of heroes.
After that, it was improved on and made increasingly complex over the course of eight years.

To answer that question, I'd point at CityOfTitans. They've been at that for years and it's still not out the door.
Even if you ignore the possible connotations of mismanagement and bad directions at having switched engines, the answer is still it would take years to develop.

The only way to change that is to throw more manpower at the project which in turn requires more money.
If it were me? I'd throw my chips in with SEGS. That project has been around for a while though it's finally making progress again.

The only thing is it's all free work. I mean as a software engineer, if I was out of a job I'd put in some time there to help.
But you know how life is. It's hard to stare at a screen for eight hours, go home, and stare at it for another four. Only this time without pay.

Also there's the possibility of having your butt sued off by NCSoft. I wouldn't put it past them to try to get greedy and defend their assets.

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #28103 on: November 16, 2017, 11:19:23 PM »
'their assets' i know its legally true but its really depressing to read. i cant even say i wish 'use it or loose it' was an actual legal thing because they did technically use it recently (in that STUPID Moba when they put in Tyrant/Statesman ).....even if thats not how i wish they'd use them.

Legalities and dealing with an entirely different sort of mindset suck.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Golden Aurora

• Boss
« Reply #28104 on: November 16, 2017, 11:27:14 PM »
I see both sides of that. To me the best analogy I can make is it's like having a cousin that had an NES and a crapload of games.
When you come over to hang out you can play them as long as you're there. He's still entitled to put away the NES and his games regardless of what you think or don't.

The part about it that irks me is that I paid money for a boxed game which is unusable.

First, I paid for the cost of the client. Back when I bought CoH it was $50. Then I spent however many hundreds of dollars on the sub. Then I spent more hundreds of dollars on the cashshop.
Now all I have are screenshots, memories, and a box/cd/poster on the wall.

It would be like if my cousin sold me one of his controllers to keep and told me to get bent if I wanted to play any of his games.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28105 on: November 17, 2017, 02:59:23 AM »
Today is a sad day for many in Los Angeles. Today, the radio stations that I liked best, 100.3 The Sound, went off the air at 1pm. Back in September, the radio station was sold to another broadcasting company. They told the station that they'd have 30 to 45 days left. At least they were given some notice. Today, all the DJs and staff for the station were on the air at some point to say goodbye to their loyal fans. Hopefully, those DJs and various staff members will find suitable homes to replace the one that was just closed down.

I am not mad that the station was bought and the format will be changing. I'm just disappointed and a little sad. Now, I'll have to find a new "favorite" classic rock station. I will, attempt[t to keep tabs (some might call it stalking) on most of the DJs though. It fihures that I finally get a car with a working stereo and a month after finding the coolest station in town (my opinion) it gets sold.  :-\
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Surelle

« Reply #28106 on: November 17, 2017, 03:31:01 AM »
'their assets' i know its legally true but its really depressing to read. i cant even say i wish 'use it or loose it' was an actual legal thing because they did technically use it recently (in that STUPID Moba when they put in Tyrant/Statesman ).....even if thats not how i wish they'd use them.

Legalities and dealing with an entirely different sort of mindset suck.

By the way....  http://massivelyop.com/2017/11/16/ncsoft-is-already-sunsetting-moba-master-x-master/

Yep, MXM is already getting shut down, after only  launching this past June.  I guess if their main intent was re-using their CoX property in some way to hold onto the copyright, then mission accomplished, though.

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #28107 on: November 17, 2017, 04:01:18 AM »
By the way....  http://massivelyop.com/2017/11/16/ncsoft-is-already-sunsetting-moba-master-x-master/

Yep, MXM is already getting shut down, after only  launching this past June.  I guess if their main intent was re-using their CoX property in some way to hold onto the copyright, then mission accomplished, though.

The secret task force group probably just closed a deal with NCsoft to sell the CoH IP, thus leading to the downfall of MXM.

Crazier and more nonsensical things have happened, right?

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28108 on: November 17, 2017, 05:43:38 AM »

So MXM game = Fantastic Four movies?

rezulin

• Minion
« Reply #28109 on: November 17, 2017, 07:09:26 AM »
Wow, reading NCSoft's sunset notice sounds very similar to the one we were given for CoH.  Makes me think it was a standardized form.

Surelle

« Reply #28110 on: November 17, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »
Wow, reading NCSoft's sunset notice sounds very similar to the one we were given for CoH.  Makes me think it was a standardized form.

They've done it so many times now that they probably just have it memorized.

cat4hurricane

• Underling
« Reply #28111 on: November 17, 2017, 10:55:03 PM »
So now that MxM is sunsetting and Statesman and Ghost Widow aren't exactly tied to it, does that mean the deal for rights is sort of back on the table?

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28112 on: November 17, 2017, 11:07:34 PM »
So now that MxM is sunsetting and Statesman and Ghost Widow aren't exactly tied to it, does that mean the deal for rights is sort of back on the table?

I shook the magic 8 ball and it leaked juice.  Forecast was rain on Tuesday

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28113 on: November 18, 2017, 07:04:49 AM »
I shook the magic 8 ball and it leaked juice.  Forecast was rain on Tuesday

Poor Magic 8 Ball.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28114 on: November 19, 2017, 10:56:03 PM »

But would you trust them to be negotiating in good faith?  After the last rounds of talks were essentially stalled off, then they launched MxM with States and GW thus shafting the potential buyers, would you want to trust NCSoft?

Also ask Richard Garriott if he would trust them ;)
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28115 on: November 23, 2017, 04:34:46 AM »

https://youtu.be/PeXb1_fnOwM?t=20s

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28116 on: November 23, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
https://youtu.be/PeXb1_fnOwM?t=20s
This might be one of the most random posts on this page lol

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28117 on: November 23, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »
This might be one of the most random posts on this page lol

I think what is being implied here is that there was much rejoicing. (yaaay)

Probably a little more than there was when Robin's minstrels were eaten.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #28118 on: November 25, 2017, 12:29:39 AM »
Those of you, that are wondering Atlas Park Revival is back up :) 8)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28119 on: November 25, 2017, 01:31:25 AM »
Those of you, that are wondering Atlas Park Revival is back up :) 8)

Sometimes you just need a nap.  Everyone needs a siesta.