Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210379 times)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28140 on: November 30, 2017, 02:40:52 AM »
Wait'll you see their next game "Schrodinger's Cat"

I bet you'll be guaranteed a lock box in that one.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28141 on: November 30, 2017, 05:56:56 AM »
I bet you'll be guaranteed a lock box in that one.

Reminds me of a pun I made at work the other day,  some servers went down for a bit and I said "perhaps a bear got into the server room."

One of the coworkers took the bait and asked "How could a bear get into the server room?!"

My response: "It's barely possible!"
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28142 on: December 01, 2017, 05:28:56 AM »
Reminds me of a pun I made at work the other day,  some servers went down for a bit and I said "perhaps a bear got into the server room."

One of the coworkers took the bait and asked "How could a bear get into the server room?!"

Tubbius is amused.  :)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28143 on: December 02, 2017, 02:40:26 AM »

And you still have coworkers?

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28144 on: December 02, 2017, 04:51:32 AM »
(Man, alive and dead in the same year.  That's incredible, even for NCSoft.)

/e sigh

You'd think they'd catch the clue on this one.  Guess Marvel's and DC's recent movies didn't get through their armor plated skulls anymore than efforts by this community to get the game back.  Maybe it's time to remind them a game that isn't making super huge profits but is making some profits is better than throwing away millions on games that start out life deader than disco.
No Surrender!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28145 on: December 02, 2017, 05:01:09 AM »
Wait'll you see their next game "Schrodinger's Cat"

Probably wanted dead or alive.... or both.

"So I went into a library and asked the librarian for a book on Pavlov's Dog and Schrodinger's Cat.  She told me it rang a bell, but she wasn't sure if it was here or not."
    -- Flying Snow Mouse
No Surrender!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28146 on: December 02, 2017, 07:49:34 AM »
Probably wanted dead or alive.... or both.

"So I went into a library and asked the librarian for a book on Pavlov's Dog and Schrodinger's Cat.  She told me it rang a bell, but she wasn't sure if it was here or not."
    -- Flying Snow Mouse

Hesienberg and Schrodinger and are driving together in a car.  They get pulled ever for speeding and the cop says to "You were going 100mph" Hesienberg throws up his hands in anger and shouts "Great, now we're lost!"

While one officer is dealing with Hesienberg another opens the trunk and in disbelief and horror says "Good lord there is a dead cat in here!"  Schrodinger rolls his eyes and says "Well ya now it is"

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28147 on: December 03, 2017, 02:38:39 AM »
And you still have coworkers?

Sure do, even after one of them repaired a server and got it running again, they yelled "eureka!"

My response: "you don't smell that good either!"
In fearful COH-less days

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28148 on: December 03, 2017, 04:28:10 AM »
Sure do, even after one of them repaired a server and got it running again, they yelled "eureka!"

Tubby needed that smile.  Thanks :)

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #28149 on: December 03, 2017, 08:57:33 AM »

Please tell me you're hiring and where to send my resume

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #28150 on: December 03, 2017, 06:05:23 PM »
i've heard Dad jokes are a firing offense most places.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28151 on: December 04, 2017, 01:54:51 PM »
Tubby needed that smile.  Thanks :)

There was the time when a coworker got their hand stuck in the time clock and ended up with time on their hands.
In fearful COH-less days

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28152 on: December 04, 2017, 03:59:48 PM »
I'm usually in such a rush to see what Goofus and Gallant are up to I blow right past these jokes.

Drygen

• Underling
  • Arachnos > Longbow
« Reply #28153 on: December 04, 2017, 08:20:59 PM »
Moderator's Note:  The originally quoted post has been removed, but the tone and content of this reply were within the bounds of acceptable etiquette.

I'd donate a good amount to a project like this. As cool as the spiritual successors are, I really only care about the original.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:59:33 AM by eabrace »
Arachnos > Longbow

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28154 on: December 04, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »
I check this thread a few times a week for a glimmer of hope that some day I can experience CoH again :(

MagnitudeZero

• Underling
« Reply #28155 on: December 04, 2017, 10:05:52 PM »
Moderator's Note:  The originally quoted post has been removed, but the tone and content of this reply were within the bounds of acceptable etiquette.

My Friend who got me interested in COH at the time of the COH beta passed in August. He'd given up hope years ago of the games return but he did miss the game. He played a blaster called Devastator on Guardian.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:58:42 AM by eabrace »

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28156 on: December 05, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »
Hmmm, MxM fails and now GW2 and boobs & soul are in humble bundle's all charity bundle. Guess they're doubling down on the stuff that's still running.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #28157 on: December 05, 2017, 09:55:28 PM »

To the best of my knowledge all those emulators had more of the original server code code and a larger fanbase to work with. How many of them wrote their own servers from scratch? The most i've heard of for CoH in the wild is a partial copy of basically the launch servers. That said, PC does continue to improve and add capabilities, but obviously it's not recreating the original servers.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:57:05 AM by eabrace »
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28158 on: December 06, 2017, 12:54:54 AM »

At least in the case of SWG and Planetside, those are not comparable projects.  SWG benefited from a server source code leak.  That's an immeasurable advantage the SWG teams had over any of the CoH emulation projects.  And Planetside is an FPS MMO.  It is almost certainly fundamentally different from CoH (and most other MMO RPGs) in its architecture.  Notably, the most important part of initially getting the game up and running isn't content that might have only existed server-side or PvE mission mechanics or AI entities, but the player entities themselves.  In other words, once you get to the Paragon Chat stage of recreation in Planetside you're 50% there, whereas with CoH you're 5% there.

Planetside's history also suggests that the game did a lot in the client that CoH did in the servers that the Planetside private server team can leverage.  For example, Planetside was the victim of a lot of hacking behavior of a kind that I don't think would have been possible in CoH, because in CoH the servers were authoritative.  In Planetside, it seems a lot of mechanics were implemented locally in the game client in a way the server trusted implicitly.  This was more limited in CoH, which is a reflection of the work you would need to do server side to implement things the Planetside guys might be getting for free by leveraging the game client.

From what I understand, and I could be wrong here, I believe the Planetside game client "understands" combat if you talk to it correctly.  The City of Heroes client has literally no understanding of combat.  That's already a massive chunk of work that a CoH emulator would have to implement from scratch that Planetside is getting almost for free.  If CoH's game client "understood" combat then Paragon Chat would probably already be way ahead of Planetside.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28159 on: December 06, 2017, 02:59:21 PM »
Hmmm, MxM fails and now GW2 and boobs & soul are in humble bundle's all charity bundle. Guess they're doubling down on the stuff that's still running.

With how successful they are you'd think they'd stay well away from the spotlight lest people fear the inevitable shutdown is about to hit their game!!