Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7264418 times)

duane

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28180 on: December 14, 2017, 11:27:02 PM »
Breaking News!: Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $52 billion! That means the X-Men franchise and the Fantastic 4 franchise are in the same universe in the MCU!

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/14/media/disney-fox-deal/index.html

Bring it on.  X-men vs. avengers vs. fantastic four and a real dr doom

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28181 on: December 15, 2017, 12:16:42 AM »
Breaking News!: Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $52 billion! That means the X-Men franchise and the Fantastic 4 franchise are in the same universe in the MCU!

Yes but I would expect no movies regarding this for at least a year and a half and that is AFTER the federal regulators allow this deal to happen.  Federal approval has not yet been granted for this deal, and there is a chance that anti-trust regulations could stop this from happening.

last report was that Hugh jackman is done with Wolverine, Stewart was done with Professor X
also the Fantastic Four has been jinxed as far as movies go.

Also it is too late too integrate the characters into Avengers 3 and 4.

Fantastic Four and X-men movies would have to be part of the 4th phase of Marvel Movies or perhaps the 5th phase, and Avengers 3 and 4 are the last movies per contract for RDJ, Evans and Hemsworth. So a dream team movie with Iron Man, Capt America and THOR teaming with the FF or X-men would require either a LOT of money to those 3 actors or else a recasting.

Not to mention a world class threat like say.....GALACTUS and his heralds

And just WHO could replace RDJ as Tony Stark?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:23:34 AM by Sinistar »
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28182 on: December 15, 2017, 03:46:21 AM »

Well, probably not.  Assuming the deal gets regulatory approval, we will probably see the merger actually execute in a year or so.  And then after that we'll probably see those franchises initially operate separately for a while.  After all, Disney is not buying Fox for the spare parts.  They are buying functional studios (among other Fox properties).  They are not going to want to completely overturn them on day one.  They will want a smooth transition to Disney ownership.  *Eventually* we may see cross pollination and a rights revertion, but that may be down the road a bit except perhaps in a few specific special case instances.

The FF franchise is a mess: I can see that one just being wrapped up and handed back to Marvel Studios relatively quickly after the merger completes.  But the X-Men franchise is a much larger and successful franchise with a lot more moving parts.  It fundamentally includes three subfranchises:  the main X-Men continuity, the Deadpool continuity, and whatever Logan is.  Disney might want to let Fox studios play out its cards before thinking about slowly folding those properties back over to Marvel.

One supreme overlord will control all of those properties, aka Disney, but I don't know how likely they all get clomped together quickly after the deal goes through.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28183 on: December 15, 2017, 03:49:39 AM »
Not to mention a world class threat like say.....GALACTUS and his heralds

I actually see the potential for Marvel Studios adding the Silver Surfer and Galactus to phase four or phase five more than I see the FF being quickly folded into the MCU.  Galactus is a logical big bad to succeed Thanos, and fits in with the Marvel plan to expand the MCU into cosmic realms.  Also, those characters seem easier to integrate with the current continuity than the Fantastic Four do at the moment.  I think Marvel would want to tread carefully when introducing the FF to the MCU.  They are not going to do it just to do it and they seem to have a lot of patience.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28184 on: December 16, 2017, 03:28:50 AM »
I actually see the potential for Marvel Studios adding the Silver Surfer and Galactus to phase four or phase five more than I see the FF being quickly folded into the MCU.  Galactus is a logical big bad to succeed Thanos, and fits in with the Marvel plan to expand the MCU into cosmic realms.  Also, those characters seem easier to integrate with the current continuity than the Fantastic Four do at the moment.  I think Marvel would want to tread carefully when introducing the FF to the MCU.  They are not going to do it just to do it and they seem to have a lot of patience.

Well they will have to bring in the FF in a few years given that after Avengers 4 we lose RDJ, Evans and Hemsworth and will need new heroes to step in.  If they can do FF right they will have a replacement for the big 3 that the MCU is losing. 

Galactus would indeed be an excellent choice after Thanos, we've already seen the Watchers and Celestials and Ego the Living Planet so the Devourer of Worlds is next. 

Hm, a Galactus saga could start in a Guardians movie and then continue into other ones leading into a FF movie perhaps.

Still I'd like to see Avengers/FF/X-men all team up to face Galactus and his heralds. Such a threat would need that many heroes to respond to it.

However I hope Marvel never tries to adapt the original Secret Wars comic story into a movie, that is WAY too many characters.
In fearful COH-less days

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28185 on: December 16, 2017, 03:39:33 AM »
Looks like some senators are voicing some justifiable concerns about the buyout

https://www.newsarama.com/37827-senators-call-for-investigation-into-disney-fox-buyout.html
In fearful COH-less days

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #28186 on: December 16, 2017, 05:42:24 AM »
Don't forget it is entirely possible for current actors to sign agreements with whatever entity produces Marvel universe movies in the future for their likenesses and voices to continue to be used.  The first nudges into that area proved the Carrie Fisher cameo did offend anyone, so expect to see more of this.  RDG may become "immortal" so far as movies are concerned.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28187 on: December 16, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
Don't forget it is entirely possible for current actors to sign agreements with whatever entity produces Marvel universe movies in the future for their likenesses and voices to continue to be used.  The first nudges into that area proved the Carrie Fisher cameo did offend anyone, so expect to see more of this.  RDG may become "immortal" so far as movies are concerned.

The carrie Fisher cameo in Rogue One was brief, and last I heard her family will not authorize a CGI revival for episode 9
In fearful COH-less days

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28188 on: December 16, 2017, 03:35:46 PM »
That may be the case, but consider someone relatively youthful, like Hugh Jackman, or even Patrick Stewart, licensing out their likenesses now, and then possibly building it into their estates for when they pass on.....present iconic representations of these characters can be immortalized.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28189 on: December 16, 2017, 05:45:41 PM »
Tubbius finally got to wear his "We Control" t-shirt from Teespring yesterday: purple shirt with purple controller insignia on the chest.  He did not get any weird questions, but it felt good having that little link to City again.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28190 on: December 16, 2017, 07:45:19 PM »
Finished sending my badge hunter through the PC winter event, all available 478 badges are mine now.
In fearful COH-less days

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28191 on: December 16, 2017, 11:26:05 PM »
That may be the case, but consider someone relatively youthful, like Hugh Jackman, or even Patrick Stewart, licensing out their likenesses now, and then possibly building it into their estates for when they pass on.....present iconic representations of these characters can be immortalized.

I heard both Huge Jackman and Patrick Stewart won't be doing any more rolls as Wolverine or Professor X anymore.  Can't say I have any evidence of this but I have heard it.

I could be mistaken but I thought Carrie Fisher was still alive and well when during filming and post production of the Rogue One.  I thought it was Grand Moff Tarkin that was CGIed in

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #28192 on: December 17, 2017, 12:15:32 AM »
I could be mistaken but I thought Carrie Fisher was still alive and well when during filming and post production of the Rogue One.  I thought it was Grand Moff Tarkin that was CGIed in

That is correct, however Young Leia in Rogue One was also CGIed in so that she'd have her same appearance as in Star Wars. IIRC Carrie did record the voiceover.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28193 on: December 17, 2017, 01:27:38 AM »
That is correct, however Young Leia in Rogue One was also CGIed in so that she'd have her same appearance as in Star Wars. IIRC Carrie did record the voiceover.

If I recall she did do the voice over for the one word she spoke and they modulated it to sound like her back in the day.

Carrie died shortly after Rogue One first released and Ep 8 was finished and in post production. Ever since there has been all the questions of whether she will be CGI'd into Ep 9.  last I read her estate has said no.

Tarkin was CGI rebuilt and done rather well
In fearful COH-less days

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #28194 on: December 17, 2017, 04:35:06 AM »
Oh, thank God the thread is restored.  I was having withdrawal talking about talking about COH's return.  And other stuff (TM).
Beware the mighty faceplant!

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28195 on: December 20, 2017, 03:58:00 AM »
Tubbius is home.

Tubbius watched The Last Jedi.  Good movie.  Not saying spoilers.

Tubbius has a bad headache and still wishes City were back.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #28196 on: December 20, 2017, 04:05:40 AM »
Tubbius watched The Last Jedi.  Good movie.  Not saying spoilers.

I saw it too. It felt more like 'Star Wars' than Episodes 1-3, 7.
Certainly has flaws, but good overall.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #28197 on: December 20, 2017, 04:35:55 AM »
I saw it too. It felt more like 'Star Wars' than Episodes 1-3, 7.
Certainly has flaws, but good overall.

I respect your opinion, but to me 1-3 was more Star Wars then 7 and 8. It had great visuals, but unfortunately I can't say why without giving spoilers. :(
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #28198 on: December 20, 2017, 06:03:10 PM »
I respect your opinion, but to me 1-3 was more Star Wars then 7 and 8. It had great visuals, but unfortunately I can't say why without giving spoilers. :(
IMO, episodes 1-3 ignored some of the exposition of 4-6, and watching them in order they make no sense.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #28199 on: December 20, 2017, 07:37:19 PM »
Eight made the galaxy feel tiny and in no way explains how the first order had so much fire power after loseing starkiller....they should be hurting as bad as the resistance....but arent ?
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!