Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212836 times)

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28340 on: February 24, 2018, 05:02:42 PM »
Remember, under Lucas, the only thing that was happening with Star Wars were 3D re-releases of the the prequels. I rather have what we have now than more and more re-releases with more CGI and gimmicks tossed in. I'm sure he would have had all the films 3D-ified by now with extra CG and now we'd start seeing UHD+HDR re-releases coming out (wait, that last bit doesn't sound too bad, actually).

And video games, books, a pretty good Cartoon on TV......why the heck do so many people just dismiss those things as non-existant when they are what kept Star Wars Alive not the constant re-release of the re-release with 34 extra seconds of CGI.

onto the topic: even if US Laws change to allow it (and i doubt it will) NC Soft will find some way to spoil it because they give the impression of being petty jerks in most of their behavior.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Graydar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28341 on: February 24, 2018, 10:30:54 PM »
Slept for 16 hours on withdrawl from weird meds and dreamt of city of heroes. Neato. ;-;

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28342 on: February 25, 2018, 12:14:45 AM »
Tubbius misses the City.

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #28343 on: February 25, 2018, 12:20:27 AM »
What's your opinion of 'Battle Beyond the Stars', then?

Who doesn't love 'Battle Beyond the Stars'? Its a hoot. Mind you, it's no 'The Last Starfighter'.

Golden Aurora

• Boss
« Reply #28344 on: February 25, 2018, 05:23:04 AM »
Thought I'd just throw this out there.
Remember all those discussions where people mention that ncsoft aggressively pursues people who run private servers?
Apparently not always. I found an aion private server which appears to have been around for 7 years or so.

https://forum.notaion.com/viewforum.php?f=18&start=175

https://notaion.com/what-is-not-aion

NOT AION IS FREE
From the moment you enter the game, you will sense the Not Aion philosophy. Not only do you start at level 75, you are also presented with great gear to kick you off into the world.

Not Aion is for those that love and enjoy PvP and that is why gearing up your characters will feel like a breeze.
However, should you have the tendency to long for everlasting goals, there's plenty to work on with the unlimited customization possibilities we have.

Did minor googling. Didn't see them suing anyone's pants off there.
Also, I saw recent forum posts with updates to the client. (https://forum.notaion.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9163)

So yeah. The people saying creating a CoH private server would be disastrous might want to look at that a little closer since it is a literal case and point.

If I'm in any way seeing this wrong, please let me know.  :)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28345 on: February 25, 2018, 05:45:49 AM »
Slept for 16 hours on withdrawl from weird meds and dreamt of city of heroes. Neato. ;-;

Who needs servers, pass around some weird meds.  Probably expired motion sickness pills or something like that.  There is nothing like 10 year old Flintstone's vitamins---just saying.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28346 on: February 25, 2018, 05:50:11 AM »
Obviously doesn't count because that's really actually Not Aion. NCSoft isn't going to look there, bad example. It's like when I put a towel over my head.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #28347 on: February 25, 2018, 01:53:10 PM »
What's your opinion of 'Battle Beyond the Stars', then?

ugh...John Boy Walton flying a space ship, which had boobies.   Hated that movie.  That ship was used in another movie that I don't recall much of, that movie was even worse.  I think.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #28348 on: February 26, 2018, 08:49:28 PM »
Thought I'd just throw this out there.
Remember all those discussions where people mention that ncsoft aggressively pursues people who run private servers?
Apparently not always. I found an aion private server which appears to have been around for 7 years or so.

https://forum.notaion.com/viewforum.php?f=18&start=175

https://notaion.com/what-is-not-aion

Did minor googling. Didn't see them suing anyone's pants off there.
Also, I saw recent forum posts with updates to the client. (https://forum.notaion.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9163)

So yeah. The people saying creating a CoH private server would be disastrous might want to look at that a little closer since it is a literal case and point.

If I'm in any way seeing this wrong, please let me know.  :)

Because you don't immediately get sued, you get a cease and desist which basically means nothing if you take the appropriate steps to dodge, avoid trouble and exploit around it.
Also get ready to be lectured by the usual legal beagles, know it alls, and trolls.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28349 on: February 27, 2018, 02:43:45 AM »
Because you don't immediately get sued, you get a cease and desist which basically means nothing if you take the appropriate steps to dodge, avoid trouble and exploit around it.
Also get ready to be lectured by the usual legal beagles, know it alls, and trolls.

No, I'm waiting for you to go into more detail as to how to do it exactly.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28350 on: February 27, 2018, 02:27:15 PM »
No, I'm waiting for you to go into more detail as to how to do it exactly.

The first thing you do is call it "Not City of Heroes"...
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28351 on: February 27, 2018, 02:57:33 PM »
You call it "Them's Fightin' Heros", and change all the characters from superheroes and supervillains into hoofed mammals like cows, reindeer, unicorns, sheep, alpaca, and dragon-horses.

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #28352 on: February 27, 2018, 03:59:30 PM »
You call it "Them's Fightin' Heros", and change all the characters from superheroes and supervillains into hoofed mammals like cows, reindeer, unicorns, sheep, alpaca, and dragon-horses.
To be fair, Mane6 only made those changes after they were C&D'd. But hey, now we all know that a C&D doesn't mean anything, right?

EDIT: And shouldn't that be City of Herds?

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28353 on: February 27, 2018, 05:34:14 PM »
EDIT: And shouldn't that be City of Herds?

Maybe Herd of Heroes?

Sure, I heard of heroes.

Hmm..what about Hero Herd?

What do I care if a Hero heard, I ain't said nothing to be ashamed of.

Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #28354 on: February 27, 2018, 06:55:34 PM »
How about Herotopia or Heropolis or Zero to Hero or Dun da da da DAHHHH!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #28355 on: February 27, 2018, 11:37:27 PM »
County of Empowered Citizens ? State of Super Being? Village of Villainous individuals?
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28356 on: February 28, 2018, 12:22:35 AM »
So I mean. How close are the spiritual successor projects?

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28357 on: February 28, 2018, 04:24:29 AM »
Perfect name:
Super Fire Dragon's Fun House of Super-Powered Beings.

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #28358 on: February 28, 2018, 05:38:36 AM »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:38:42 PM by Ulysses Dare »

Golden Aurora

• Boss
« Reply #28359 on: February 28, 2018, 11:06:34 PM »
I don't even so much want one to deliver to the scale and scope of City Of.
I just want one that learns what made City Of good, and Champs/DCUO not so good.

It was the whole teaming experience. So many MMOs just revolve around the holy trinity.
City Of had that, and soooo much more. Actual support classes!
When is the last time you have seen an mmo which had actual support classes?
They're borderline nonexistent. It was that versatility in play styles, customization, and teaming which made City of Great.
I can think of no other game which had both a sidekick AND exemplar system.

WoW only RECENTLY added what is basically an exemplar system to its content.
After what, like 14  years?
Guess what. I actually see people running around doing content and teaming instead of just grinding dungeons endlessly ala Champions Online.
I've always been of the opinion that free form character design is a sin. It basically makes you never rely on anybody.
You make your one out of five cookie cutter builds and never look back.

In short, if you want me to stick around in a MMO, implement the following:
Convincing reasons to group with people with synergistic (fun!) playstyles.
Reasons to not drop group after the first run of whatever it is.
Eliminating the monotony of the grind by making easier ways to get to locations. (Travel powers)
Customization for my avatar which does not cost $9.99 to change a hair color.
Customization of my powers which allows me to tailor what my character is to my playstyle while still keeping in the theme of whatever it's role is supposed to be.
Multiple group roles besides just the holy trinity. Soloing is nice, but sometimes I just want that empathy or kinetics defender fix, particularly if grouping is easy.

But that's just me. Nobody cares what I think. Everyone just wants open world pvp and cash shop slavery. Heh.