Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212482 times)

Graydar

• Lieutenant
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28360 on: March 01, 2018, 03:38:53 AM »
I think that pen and paper RPGs have principles that allow you to make fun MMORPGs. Old WOW had a couple of problems but it's approach to roleplaying and empowerment and such was spot on.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28361 on: March 01, 2018, 05:16:28 AM »
The first thing you do is call it "Not City of Heroes"...

I'll call it "City of Noyjitat" if he actually bothers to explain how I get around the legal issues involved...

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28362 on: March 01, 2018, 12:35:50 PM »
That sounds like it ought to be a Key and Peele skit spin-off.

"City of Nooiice!"

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28363 on: March 02, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
It was the whole teaming experience. So many MMOs just revolve around the holy trinity.
City Of had that, and soooo much more. Actual support classes!
When is the last time you have seen an mmo which had actual support classes?

City of is about the only game I know of where an entire team of only support classes could steamroll through  maps as fast or faster than a team of pure DPSs.

I like the fact that the team could be any mix of ATs and still function well.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #28364 on: March 03, 2018, 05:49:25 AM »
I'll call it "City of Noyjitat" if he actually bothers to explain how I get around the legal issues involved...

Maybe... "Ship of Heroes"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtB9F4xLAQo&t=149s

:D
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28365 on: March 03, 2018, 08:39:19 AM »
It is time once again for ...
The Pantless Report.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, I am not wearing pants.
Ok, all is well.  We took a short break for the holidays, and to get some Jack and Coke.  We thank you all for your support, especially for the clean underwear, let me tell you.  I couldn't find a Chinese laundry around here to save my life.  Anyway, there is this one guy who keeps taking us back to square one.  He is a grammarian by training and hobby.  He keeps doing things like one time, I said something like, "...we must consider between these major points..."  Well he asks how many points are there?  We spend about two weeks deciding that there are four points.  So he says that I should say 'among' instead of 'between'.  Yes, he just wanted to know if there were more than two points.  And also, there is this other guy, from NCSoft, who keeps saying that the game is shut-down.  We try to tell him that we know the game is shut-down.  We try to tell him that we want to purchase the rights to bring the game back.  I shouldn't complain too much, after all, they have great sea food here.

This has been the Pantsless Avenger saying ....
POOF!

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28366 on: March 05, 2018, 05:48:16 AM »
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:30:40 AM by LateNights »

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #28367 on: March 05, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »
Not for me - I'm Titans all the way!!

I'm "All of them" all the way!! :)
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28368 on: March 05, 2018, 09:19:19 PM »
I'm "Any one of them that comes even remotely close to capturing the feel of CoH" all the way. DCUO and CO both fall flat in that department. :(

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28369 on: March 05, 2018, 11:33:28 PM »
I'm "Any one of them that comes even remotely close to capturing the feel of CoH" all the way. DCUO and CO both fall flat in that department. :(

In that regard, watching the Ship of Heroes videos on YouTube gives me hope. A new setting, to be sure, but they still make me familiarly homesick. I was so sure that I'd read about a launch this summer, that I was crushed to find out that the beta-testing doesn't start until December. :/

I also saw a video clip, from one of the other games, featuring a sample of combat in a neighborhood VERY similar in appearance to Kings Row.

An interesting thing from (I think) a video comparing three of the projects: if I recall, it's City of Titans that has an amusing angle on incapacitating opponents - a power that compels them to dance.

The launches can't arrive soon enough.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28370 on: March 06, 2018, 08:39:17 PM »
They also had a twitch stream today which I was very happy to see.  I missed the first 15 minutes or so of it but it was cool to see.  I'll see if I can remember to share the video upload thats coming on youtube later today.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #28371 on: March 06, 2018, 09:45:04 PM »
They also had a twitch stream today which I was very happy to see.  I missed the first 15 minutes or so of it but it was cool to see.  I'll see if I can remember to share the video upload thats coming on youtube later today.
I have to say out of all of the possible City of successors Ship of Heroes is far and way the nearest one to claim the title. No disrespect to the others but there hasn't really been as much coverage. CoT, I don't see where there are in the development. VO, I lost all hope in, not because of anything, but just lost interest.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28372 on: March 06, 2018, 10:19:41 PM »
I have to say out of all of the possible City of successors Ship of Heroes is far and way the nearest one to claim the title. No disrespect to the others but there hasn't really been as much coverage. CoT, I don't see where there are in the development. VO, I lost all hope in, not because of anything, but just lost interest.
That has always been what held me back from CoT. It is Very hard to figure out where they are in things.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28373 on: March 07, 2018, 02:08:12 AM »
That has always been what held me back from CoT. It is Very hard to figure out where they are in things.

True - while at first I was glad they didn't have a thread here because I was concerned it would overshadow the CoH efforts, I'm now wishing they did have one so that we could keep up more easily.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:27:17 AM by LateNights »

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28374 on: March 07, 2018, 02:26:17 AM »
I lost all hope in, not because of anything, but just lost interest.

;D

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28375 on: March 07, 2018, 04:08:26 PM »
So i've been out of the loop for the last couple months.  Any juicy rumors about the beloved coming back?  I need some sort of hope to obsess about.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28376 on: March 08, 2018, 08:33:03 AM »
Try gymnastics...

Wait, nvm.

;D

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28377 on: March 09, 2018, 02:51:45 AM »
So i've been out of the loop for the last couple months.  Any juicy rumors about the beloved coming back?  I need some sort of hope to obsess about.

Focus on fitness/health/weight loss.  I have been. 

Thanks to the lasers I have burned away a lot of weight and coming soon.....a surgery I had hoped to avoid.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Joeth

• Underling
« Reply #28378 on: March 09, 2018, 06:19:03 AM »

This. So much this. CoT has some really interesting ideas imo. I love the Paths idea and the city itself looks beautiful from the little I've seen. Their lore is interesting and deep. The Chargen video they just put out got me excited. But in that same video it said they were in Pre Alpha. Not even real Alpha. They've been working on this for half a decade and I still have no idea how close it is to completion. Beta late this year, hopefully. I'm really hopeful for this game but its hard to not lose hope and be cynical after so long.

SoH on the other hand is very open with time tables, game play video, designs, and ideas. I think they're going to come out first and remind a lot of us of CoH. However their goals are much smaller the CoT which is something that gets lost in this discussion I think. Which is good and bad. If you look at the map for CoT its comes across as very large to me. I'm doubtful that SOH will be anything like that size at launch. COT will have 5 Archetypes at launch with a Mastermind-ish one on the way. And each of those will eventually have 3 sub types eventually. SoH will launch with just 4. I'm not sure how many power sets SoH is launching with but CoT has 25. That said SoH is also the one I believe will release within a year

All of that said, I actually think the two are very different games as much as we compare the two.

Ship of Heroes goal is to be City of Heroes which is great and what a lot of us are looking for. You can see that in the name, art design, even the character classes and I'm sure eventually the powersets. Their goal is to remake that game in their own vision. We all should be excited about it because from everything we've seen it looks great.

City of Titans goal is to be its own game though. They drew inspiration from CoH but they have their own idea of where it should go. Almost like a caterpillar becoming a butterfly. Where SoH is a kid trying to wear their parents clothes. CoT is attempting something bigger and better. Bigger risks but Bigger rewards if they pull it off.

TL:DR- SoH communicates better, CoT is attempting more, both games are different things

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28379 on: March 09, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »
Starro will crush heroes in any universe!