Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210398 times)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28380 on: March 09, 2018, 10:23:11 PM »
Starro will crush heroes in any universe!
Except, maybe,  in the universe where Starro is the hero.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Archlight

• Minion
« Reply #28381 on: March 09, 2018, 10:44:13 PM »
In that regard, watching the Ship of Heroes videos on YouTube gives me hope. A new setting, to be sure, but they still make me familiarly homesick. I was so sure that I'd read about a launch this summer, that I was crushed to find out that the beta-testing doesn't start until December. :/

I also saw a video clip, from one of the other games, featuring a sample of combat in a neighborhood VERY similar in appearance to Kings Row.

An interesting thing from (I think) a video comparing three of the projects: if I recall, it's City of Titans that has an amusing angle on incapacitating opponents - a power that compels them to dance.

The launches can't arrive soon enough.
I feel the same way while I am currently playing CO and it is much improved over the last time I played (about 2 years ago). DCUO and CO both feel like they are lacking something in the combat department.

While they are both billed as action oriented games they lack something in the combat department. I think all of the "ACTION" like the blocking and carpel tunnel clicking combination of DCUO take away from being super. You spend more time managing your character rather than being super. COH combat provided the rush of battle feel especially with the Brute mechanic and you wanted to rush to the next mob for that high again and again.

Graydar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28382 on: March 10, 2018, 02:32:35 AM »
I liked the animations in CoH. Heroic idle pose. Punches. It was all very fluid and moving but at the same time really fighting. Not even mocapped.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28383 on: March 11, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
I liked the animations in CoH. Heroic idle pose. Punches. It was all very fluid and moving but at the same time really fighting. Not even mocapped.

Combined with some outstanding sound effects, it generally felt like such a visceral, immersive especially (looking at you Street Justice).
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #28384 on: March 14, 2018, 11:39:49 PM »
Combined with some outstanding sound effects, it generally felt like such a visceral, immersive especially (looking at you Street Justice).

OMG, I absolutely loved Street Justice.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28385 on: March 22, 2018, 12:04:39 AM »
No posts in 7 days :( yikes.

Arctic Pulse

• Underling
« Reply #28386 on: March 22, 2018, 01:41:22 AM »
TL:DR- SoH communicates better, CoT is attempting more, both games are different things

I really hope the CoT pulls it off and that it is a shadow of what CoH was and more BUT....my reservations are this; The updates are strange and buried in lore which is sometimes hard to understand and........dare i say it, sometimes a little pretentious. I would not mind so much if there was actual simple information like 'how far have we got' 'what is our timeline  for Beta' 'for Go Live'

I just feel like there is a lot of procrastination and really not a lot of 'bottom line' and its been a long while since it was started...and really nobody really knows its future....people just hold on hoping but not really getting any concrete info

To top it off I am logging into PChat and there are people there that never even played CoH.....................seriously!!!
Arctic Firestorm
Avengers of Truth (Commander)

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28387 on: March 22, 2018, 08:06:09 AM »
No posts in 7 days :( yikes.

You haven't heard?

Noyjitat told us how we get the game back, so now we're all playing the new and improved CoH!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28388 on: March 22, 2018, 08:09:40 AM »
You haven't heard?

Noyjitat told us how we get the game back, so now we're all playing the new and improved CoH!

Don't be silly - two more steps before that 1) find a green room. 2) ???????.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28389 on: March 22, 2018, 08:13:44 AM »

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28390 on: March 23, 2018, 02:32:28 AM »
Oh hellz ya. I swear I could here bones crunch with that power set. I made two, a Cap knockoff (a SJ/Shield Scrapper) and Taskmaster knockoff called Wish Fullfilment (?), who was a SJ/Ninjitsu Stalker that was hella fun.

Joeth

• Underling
« Reply #28391 on: March 23, 2018, 07:15:42 PM »

I really hope the CoT pulls it off and that it is a shadow of what CoH was and more BUT....my reservations are this; The updates are strange and buried in lore which is sometimes hard to understand and........dare i say it, sometimes a little pretentious. I would not mind so much if there was actual simple information like 'how far have we got' 'what is our timeline  for Beta' 'for Go Live'

I just feel like there is a lot of procrastination and really not a lot of 'bottom line' and its been a long while since it was started...and really nobody really knows its future....people just hold on hoping but not really getting any concrete info

I couldn't agree more honestly. I have a lot of hope for CoT. It seems like the most ambitious, and the one most likely to surpass CoH. At least from what I've read and seen. But the lack of actual timeline updates and until recently actual in game content is more then a little worrying to me. What I've seen is good but there's been precious little of it. And their "When its done" attitude is admirable but frustrating, especially when a few status updates wouldn't hurt anything.

That said, all of the good press and love SoH has been getting for doing these very things seems to given CoT the kick in the butt they needed to do more of this stuff. I mean honestly before SoH they had no legitimate competition for being successor to the throne. Valiance Online is pretty quiet and slow moving itself and the best thing I can say about Heroes and Villains is that it exists cause I literally know nothing else about it. Then SoH bursts out of nowhere with screenshots and videos and that timeline that they've actually kept up with. Its turned the wait from "Man I hope CoT keeps their beta expectation" into a race to the end of 2018 to see whose beta releases first. And I say this having the opinion these two arent really in direct competition with each other at the end of the day

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28392 on: March 23, 2018, 10:48:29 PM »
Valiance Online is pretty quiet and slow moving itself and the best thing I can say about Heroes and Villains is that it exists cause I literally know nothing else about it.

HaV's due for their 277th weekly update later tonight so there's plenty you could find out. Of course from what I can gather from said updates it'll come out the same week as 'A Dream of Spring'.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28393 on: March 25, 2018, 01:49:57 AM »
I couldn't agree more honestly. I have a lot of hope for CoT. It seems like the most ambitious, and the one most likely to surpass CoH. At least from what I've read and seen. But the lack of actual timeline updates and until recently actual in game content is more then a little worrying to me. What I've seen is good but there's been precious little of it. And their "When its done" attitude is admirable but frustrating, especially when a few status updates wouldn't hurt anything.

That said, all of the good press and love SoH has been getting for doing these very things seems to given CoT the kick in the butt they needed to do more of this stuff. I mean honestly before SoH they had no legitimate competition for being successor to the throne. Valiance Online is pretty quiet and slow moving itself and the best thing I can say about Heroes and Villains is that it exists cause I literally know nothing else about it. Then SoH bursts out of nowhere with screenshots and videos and that timeline that they've actually kept up with. Its turned the wait from "Man I hope CoT keeps their beta expectation" into a race to the end of 2018 to see whose beta releases first. And I say this having the opinion these two arent really in direct competition with each other at the end of the day

VO.....no real feel if they are actually making progress
SOH... They have a fine timeline for 2017..but it isnt 2017 anymore, not for 1/4th of a year. maybe a new timeline might be indicated.
COT... we heard dribs and drabs about a decision to be made in March...march is just about over. we havent seen that they can run a working server yet they might beta in Nov? releasing something besides lore was good, a little confidence that at least someone might log into a server this year would be great.

Zerohour

• Lieutenant
  • Trapped in the Speed Force
« Reply #28394 on: March 25, 2018, 02:00:02 AM »

To top it off I am logging into PChat and there are people there that never even played CoH.....................seriously!!!

The lore updates are a waste of time if you ask me.  Nothing more than undercooked and overblown short stories.  Written by wannabe writers who think that because they were moderately better than everyone else in their creative writing class that they can manage creating an encyclopedia of unnecessary background on NPCs no one knows or cares about yet.  I get the feeling they've got an overstuffed file folder full of these little stories that they pull out when they don't actually have a meaningful update to give the backers.

The devs are saying that the visual updates will come faster and more frequently now because they've crossed this invisible line of behind-the-scenes technical progress, but only time will tell.  It's coming up 5 years since they started, and yeah the team is working on this project "for free", but there comes a point in time when the good faith and leeway runs out.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28395 on: March 25, 2018, 06:15:46 AM »
Dang Zerohour, tell us how you really feel. :o

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #28396 on: March 25, 2018, 09:17:50 AM »
Dang Zerohour, tell us how you really feel. :o

I get what Zee is saying. He is tired of the talk and no show. You have to admit for a title that has been in dev mode 5 years and almost nothing to show. Where as a title that was announced four years after has soo much more to show. That is why I fell Ship of Heroes will be the one to claim the title of City of Heroes successor.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28397 on: March 25, 2018, 12:26:06 PM »
You have to admit

Being totally honest, I don't have anything of the sort to admit. :)

Even if somebody doesn't launch at all, does that mean they didn't try hard enough? Do you have any idea how many publisher-backed MMOs get cancelled? I know you mean well, but as long as we're on the subject of credibility, one thing this community helped teach me is that if I make judgments without knowing stuff behind the scenes, or if I belittle someone's efforts, that behavior is all on me. I will almost certainly lose any high ground, and on top of that, I may get egg on my face, or have to eat crow or something. And we're getting close to playable alphas, so what's the point?

Those folks don't owe me anything. I gave them some money during their Kickstarter and wished them luck. I remember thinking, "What a crazy plan!" Who should I feel more sympathy for? Those waiting, or those slogging away? I'll tell you who I'm more likely to resent: anyone who suggests I should choose. Many of them are the SAME. And I was pretty sure no one had any idea what they were getting themselves into. City of Heroes took several years to develop, even with a publisher backing it. So I have no idea how long an indie MMORPG is supposed to take.

But it's not a race, and the playground grudge matches are not a good look. What if a game that takes longer to launch blows everyone away? Am I supposed to pout and refuse to play? That's so corny! People will be on that game in a hot flash. :D

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28398 on: March 25, 2018, 02:05:08 PM »
Being totally honest, I don't have anything of the sort to admit. :)

Even if somebody doesn't launch at all, does that mean they didn't try hard enough? Do you have any idea how many publisher-backed MMOs get cancelled? I know you mean well, but as long as we're on the subject of credibility, one thing this community helped teach me is that if I make judgments without knowing stuff behind the scenes, or if I belittle someone's efforts, that behavior is all on me. I will almost certainly lose any high ground, and on top of that, I may get egg on my face, or have to eat crow or something. And we're getting close to playable alphas, so what's the point?

Those folks don't owe me anything. I gave them some money during their Kickstarter and wished them luck. I remember thinking, "What a crazy plan!" Who should I feel more sympathy for? Those waiting, or those slogging away? I'll tell you who I'm more likely to resent: anyone who suggests I should choose. Many of them are the SAME. And I was pretty sure no one had any idea what they were getting themselves into. City of Heroes took several years to develop, even with a publisher backing it. So I have no idea how long an indie MMORPG is supposed to take.

But it's not a race, and the playground grudge matches are not a good look. What if a game that takes longer to launch blows everyone away? Am I supposed to pout and refuse to play? That's so corny! People will be on that game in a hot flash. :D
No, it isnt a grudge match or anything and they dont owe us anything. That being said, we have to manage our expectations and I dont know that I expect all 3 to have a playable release. we will see what happens.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28399 on: March 25, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »
The devs are saying that the visual updates will come faster and more frequently now because they've crossed this invisible line of behind-the-scenes technical progress, but only time will tell.  It's coming up 5 years since they started, and yeah the team is working on this project "for free", but there comes a point in time when the good faith and leeway runs out.

I hope you realize that since the coders are doing this for free, that they most likely have day jobs that take most of their time, and they're coding in their free time, as well as maybe socializing with people that they know outside of a computer. compare that to a coder that is paid by a publisher to work on a game for 8 hours ( i'm guessing regular work hours, they might work more or less) a day. I'd think that it'll take the working-for-free guy a little longer to do that same job. I seem to recall that it took Cryptic about 4 or 5 years, give or take, to create CoH, and that's what they were paid to do.

Also, I'm fairly sure that the people that are writing the lore for the game are not the same people that are writing code for the game. Coming up with the lore is, I'd believe, a lot less time consuming that writing functional code.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms