Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7209783 times)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28460 on: April 15, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »
Three assumptions there. 

1) We equals me, I take it? 
2) I have as much of a relationship with any of the developers as many of you have: nothing.  Even on the last day, I've never had a conversation with a developer past "Thanks, guy!"  The only red name I was close to being on a first name basis with was Niviene, and even that, I think she's forgotten about me by now.   Just like you would with anyone that you've talked to for three months, then haven't seen in almost 5 years.
3) Leaks being leaks, timeliness is a factor.  If it's not in the wind yet, it's less and less likely to be leaked later on.  My theory? Occam's Razor comes into play: NCSoft has the server code, (or had it, if they're vindictive enough to wipe their own work out) and no one else will get it.

But I'm not pessimistic.  SEGS has some new life in it lately, and I'm confident they'll make progress. With more folks taking notice and helping them, we'll hear more good news from them than we did in the past.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:33:04 PM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28461 on: April 16, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »
But I'm not pessimistic.  SEGS has some new life in it lately, and I'm confident they'll make progress. With more folks taking notice and helping them, we'll hear more good news from them than we did in the past.

Are you in contact with CodeWalker, I've not heard from him in while?

Any ideas why PChat seems so much farther along that SEGS despite SEGS existing much longer (as far as I'm aware)?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:36:45 PM by LateNights »

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #28462 on: April 16, 2018, 04:09:19 PM »
Any ideas why PChat seems so much farther along that SEGS despite SEGS existing much longer (as fast as I'm aware)?

SEGS is trying to re-create/emulate/whatever the game server, whereas PC is only running the client on top of an XMPP server. Apples and oranges.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28463 on: April 16, 2018, 04:30:21 PM »
I had an internet fight with Positron one time, want me to ask him?

Never mind, probably a bad idea....

Joeth

• Underling
« Reply #28464 on: April 16, 2018, 06:24:34 PM »
I have to agree that if the code was out there it most likely would have been released by now. That said I suppose its possible one of the devs is saving it until they felt there was a team who could handle it. Maybe now that Segs is truly up and running it'll suddenly be released. Despite saying that I don't believe it though.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28465 on: April 16, 2018, 06:46:59 PM »
SEGS is trying to re-create/emulate/whatever the game server, whereas PC is only running the client on top of an XMPP server. Apples and oranges.

Is it apples and oranges - while I'm sure there's more difficulty in running a server emulator than client-to-xmpp, surely there must be some commonality also?

And, is a server emulator the best way to tackle the issue, is that something we'll be able to use to run private servers?

Lol, what?

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28466 on: April 16, 2018, 08:06:43 PM »
Lol, what?

Those are fightin' words....

SilverAgeFan

• Underling
« Reply #28467 on: April 17, 2018, 12:09:06 AM »
Goddamn, 5.5 year on and I still miss this game so much it aches sometimes.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28468 on: April 17, 2018, 01:29:09 AM »

LOL I remember that!  ;D
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28469 on: April 17, 2018, 06:33:46 AM »
"Once you are born, you can no longer hide".

If I recall though, twas all a misunderstanding, no?

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28470 on: April 17, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »
In the comics, when two heroes clash, it's always a misunderstanding. Yes, while it might be true, the world's strongest honorary Freedom Phalanx (Captain Electric) easily won that now-storied fight, Positron was as capable an opponent as one could be. But our true enemy is still at large -- the dreaded NCSOFT -- and one day, perhaps Positron and I will meet again... and with our powers combined, we'll put an end to that menace. Proooobably not, though.

(*Waves at SilverAgeFan*)

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28471 on: April 17, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
I feel like there are still nurples that are purpled from this conflict.

Joeth

• Underling
« Reply #28472 on: April 17, 2018, 11:00:02 PM »
Is it apples and oranges - while I'm sure there's more difficulty in running a server emulator than client-to-xmpp, surely there must be some commonality also?

And, is a server emulator the best way to tackle the issue, is that something we'll be able to use to run private servers?

I'm not sure about the intricacies of coding but to answer your second question, yes that's exactly what it'll be able to do. It'll also allow for changes/updates. Not sure if you're familiar with Star Wars Galaxies at all but they have a very similar story. Their version of SEGS released a clean base version of the game to the community. Multiple community based servers popped up after that with changes or added content. Sometimes its as simple as speeding up xp gain, sometimes its adding a planet with armor and completely original content.

My hope is in the future we'll have that kind of diversity/additions in CoX servers too

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #28473 on: April 18, 2018, 12:48:05 AM »
Are you in contact with CodeWalker, I've not heard from him in while?

Any ideas why PChat seems so much farther along that SEGS despite SEGS existing much longer (as far as I'm aware)?

How is CodeWalker these days? Also, what ever happened to IronWolf?

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #28474 on: April 18, 2018, 08:33:28 AM »
How is CodeWalker these days? Also, what ever happened to IronWolf?
If I was into conspiracies I would say that they are playing a downloaded City of. However, I think life just got in the way. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #28475 on: April 18, 2018, 01:53:29 PM »
I'm not sure about the intricacies of coding but to answer your second question, yes that's exactly what it'll be able to do. It'll also allow for changes/updates. Not sure if you're familiar with Star Wars Galaxies at all but they have a very similar story. Their version of SEGS released a clean base version of the game to the community. Multiple community based servers popped up after that with changes or added content. Sometimes its as simple as speeding up xp gain, sometimes its adding a planet with armor and completely original content.

My hope is in the future we'll have that kind of diversity/additions in CoX servers too

This gives me hope that someday we'll see, "City of Gyros" with food based villains, such as, "The Awful Falafel," the villain who rose through the ranks of Arachnos and took over from Lord Recluse.
Beware the mighty faceplant!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28476 on: April 18, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »
If the place has both gyro and falafel they're most likely both awful.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #28477 on: April 18, 2018, 03:49:47 PM »
This gives me hope that someday we'll see, "City of Gyros" with food based villains, such as, "The Awful Falafel," the villain who rose through the ranks of Arachnos and took over from Lord Recluse.

This the place where the Vanillans from Manila are located, fighting their rival gang Death by Chocolatears? (misspelling intentional)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28478 on: April 19, 2018, 12:53:31 PM »
Reminds me of one of the weirdest mods ever, for an old 4X game called Space Empires IV. It replaced all the galactic empires in the game with sentient food, who (of course) constructed food-themed spaceships, space stations, and eventually megastructures. Hot dog, it was awesome (figuratively speaking; I never got around to playing with the wieners).

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28479 on: April 19, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »
Continuing to send signals through the portals in Peregrine and into space, seeking a Kheldian who wants a host body.   A successful merge should heal me
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!