Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7264149 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28480 on: April 19, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »
They probably have a huge waiting list for kheldian merges, cuz y'know, tentacles.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28481 on: April 20, 2018, 09:24:47 PM »
I hadn't heard if it passed, but there was a news article recently ( Even linked further back in the thread and has its own thread, I believe ) about a proposed measure that would cause the rights to "dead" online games to expire if unused after a few years. But I believe it basically only grants a form of "fair use" protection to freely run private server emulators.

I believe you are referring to the Library of Congress exception for abandoned works.  That would apply to single player games, but not online ones.  The reason is that the law would allow people in legal possession of the software to continue to use it if they could declare it abandoned.  In our case, that would be the game client.  But it would not include the game servers, because none of us were ever in legal possession of the game servers.  And while the exception would theoretically allow someone to reverse engineer a server, they could not under that exception reverse engineer the game content because that would still be protected by copyright.  Reverse engineering server software doesn't violate copyright, because you aren't copying the server software code, you are creating something new that just happens to behave the same way.  But recreating the missions and playable content would be duplicating copyright protected works, which would not fall under the exception to allow players to use the software they possess.  And unfortunately the playable content doesn't exist within the game clients to leverage.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28482 on: April 20, 2018, 09:31:17 PM »
Is it apples and oranges - while I'm sure there's more difficulty in running a server emulator than client-to-xmpp, surely there must be some commonality also?

With all due respect to the work that has gone into Paragon Chat, and I believe Codewalker would agree with me, the overlap between building Paragon Chat and reproducing functioning game servers is mostly trivial.

In fact you could argue that much of the work in Paragon Chat is there to work around the fact that we don't have functioning game servers, and those work arounds provide little to no insight into how actual game servers would supersede those functions.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28483 on: April 21, 2018, 12:46:24 PM »
In fact you could argue that much of the work in Paragon Chat is there to work around the fact that we don't have functioning game servers, and those work arounds provide little to no insight into how actual game servers would supersede those functions.

Thanks - I should have known, its been explained a few times now - clutching at straws I guess, hoping we'll have news sooner rather than later.

So frustrating, because it seems so very close considering what he's achieved with ParagonChat up to this point...

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28484 on: April 23, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »
Thanks - I should have known, its been explained a few times now - clutching at straws I guess, hoping we'll have news sooner rather than later.

So frustrating, because it seems so very close considering what he's achieved with ParagonChat up to this point...

Paragon Chat looks so close because what it does is make the most visible parts of the game appear to work again, so obviously it will appear to be mostly working.  Imagine if you wanted to replace Stephen Hawking with a Stephen Hawking robot, so you created a life-like Stephen Hawking mannequin and placed it in a replica of his wheelchair and assistance devices.  And you were able to program it to move like him, gesture like him, and even speak with the same synthesized voice.

Now all you have to do is teach it quantum field theory and general relativity and you're done.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #28485 on: April 24, 2018, 02:07:50 AM »
Now all you have to do is teach it quantum field theory and general relativity and you're done.

Well...Ok!  *cracks knuckles*.  If I gotta put on my thinking cap long enough to bring that automaton up to speed...hold ma beer!  ;) :)

In other news, looks like the Marvel guys are looking at giving Moon Knight a shot at making the world just a little darker!  This is great news for me, as my main CoH character (pictured to the left) was modeled after him.

https://movieweb.com/moon-knight-movie-tv-show-marvel-phase-4-future-plans/
What was no more, is now reborn!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #28486 on: April 24, 2018, 04:51:30 PM »

So basically the easy stuff :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28487 on: April 25, 2018, 05:34:48 AM »

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28488 on: April 25, 2018, 07:14:32 PM »

I wonder how much he would cost now using the same parts that were used back in then.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28489 on: April 25, 2018, 08:57:50 PM »
Well...Ok!  *cracks knuckles*.  If I gotta put on my thinking cap long enough to bring that automaton up to speed...hold ma beer!  ;) :)

In other news, looks like the Marvel guys are looking at giving Moon Knight a shot at making the world just a little darker!  This is great news for me, as my main CoH character (pictured to the left) was modeled after him.

https://movieweb.com/moon-knight-movie-tv-show-marvel-phase-4-future-plans/

I always figured Moon Knight was in the back of Marvel Studios' collective minds since he was pseudo-name dropped in Winter Soldier.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28490 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:40 PM »

Alright, finished.  I am a little confused what to do on the next step though, it seems to have achieved sentience somewhere in between and now wants to destroy all human life. What now?

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28491 on: April 25, 2018, 10:43:16 PM »
I always figured Moon Knight was in the back of Marvel Studios' collective minds since he was pseudo-name dropped in Winter Soldier.

Wait, what?

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28492 on: April 25, 2018, 11:21:09 PM »
Wait, what?
He was among the people listed as targets for the new Helicarriers to mulch. I believe that Shield Hydra Agent Sitwell had mentioned him while he was being interrogated by Cap, Widow, and Falcon.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28493 on: April 26, 2018, 12:27:41 AM »
He was among the people listed as targets for the new Helicarriers to mulch. I believe that Shield Hydra Agent Sitwell had mentioned him while he was being interrogated by Cap, Widow, and Falcon.

What's odd is that even though the F.F. still cannot appear in the MCU, they can still have a Torch.
The original android Torch had his cameo in Captain America First Avenger,  they could make a WW2 themed movie with him then reactivate him in modern times.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28494 on: April 26, 2018, 12:55:21 AM »

Sitwell mentions that project Insight's list of targets for elimination included Steve Rogers, a TV anchor in Cairo, the under secretary of defense, a high school valedictorian in Iowa City, Bruce Banner, and Stephen Strange.  Most people believe the TV anchor in Cairo is a reference to Moon Knight.  The high school valedictorian seems to be the one that is a random drop; at least there's no consensus on who that could be in the Marvel universe.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28495 on: April 26, 2018, 12:57:28 AM »
Alright, finished.  I am a little confused what to do on the next step though, it seems to have achieved sentience somewhere in between and now wants to destroy all human life. What now?

Obligatory Stephen Hawking Onion article reference: https://www.theonion.com/stephen-hawking-builds-robotic-exoskeleton-1819564353

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28496 on: April 26, 2018, 01:26:46 AM »

I wonder how much he would cost now using the same parts that were used back in then.
With today's parts and government cost over-runs, we're talking $10 billion easy. 
He would have bluetooth and wifi bult-in of course.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28497 on: April 26, 2018, 03:07:16 AM »
Obligatory Stephen Hawking Onion article reference: https://www.theonion.com/stephen-hawking-builds-robotic-exoskeleton-1819564353

That actually made the science & technology section :o

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #28498 on: April 26, 2018, 03:53:28 AM »
I just read Moon Knight's origin on Wikipedia, and he wasn't a TV anchor; he was a mercenary (former military) assisting with a dig in Egypt. ???

And it's been a while since I saw Winter Soldier, but why would they have been targeting Strange, who at the time was just some fancy surgeon working at a hospital in New York?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28499 on: April 26, 2018, 04:10:26 AM »
Moon Knight did have a tv show for a while but wasn't an anchor.

the valedictorian could have been cho or moon girl or kate bishop or riri williams or... ok let's face it the intelligence bell curve for young superheroes is a bit skewed in marvel even if we exclude all the x-kids :D