Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7281837 times)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28520 on: May 24, 2018, 04:29:48 PM »
Me and some guy I know would argue about powers and archetypes for the various superheroes in the various superhero movies while we would watch those movies.  "Something to do"

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28521 on: May 25, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »
It was always a struggle converting characters that were both ranged and melee, let alone with defenses on top of it.  I was thinking about this while watching Deadpool 2, where I decided the title character is a Katana/Dual Blades/Assault Rifle/Regeneration Scrapper, while Domino is a Dual Blades/Street Justice/Assault Rifle/Super Reflexes Scrapper.

I picked Super Reflexes because it's easy enough to say that attacks are just missing her due to her luck rather than because she's actively dodging them.  It even had a power called "Lucky", and the most popular Defense IO set was "Luck of the Gambler".  If I had tried to make him, I'd probably also make Wade Katana/WP instead of Katana/Regen, because Wade's regeneration is passive, while Regen was very clicky while WP was entirely Autos and Toggles.

Some of the other characters were much easier to pin down (Russell as a Fire/Fire Blaster, Colossus as a Super Strength/Invulnerability Brute), even if they were not always exact (Negasonic Teenage Warhead as an Energy/Energy Blaster - it's all about the knockback!), and some weren't possible at all even if you could mix-n-match powersets (like Yukio's.... electric chain thingie, though her comics version was just a MA/SR/Weapon Mastery Scrapper).

... yeah, thinking about what ATs and Powersets "canon" characters would have is still something I enjoy, even long after the game's shutdown.  I have a huge list saved (which I made before shutdown, but hung onto).  Writing up an analysis like this makes me miss the game all over again.

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #28522 on: May 25, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »

<SNIP>Colossus as a Super Strength/Invulnerability Brute <SNIP>

I politely disagree.  For starters, Piotr's/Colossus' personality is about the complete opposite of a "brute."  He'd rather not fight.  He just feels he has to to protect those without powers.  Secondly, his powers don't "grow" as he fights.  So I'd put him as a Invuln/SS tank.

Now, given what I've said above, I'd make The Hulk a SS/WP brute.  With SJ as a travel power.  Obviously.  ;-)

Beware the mighty faceplant!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28523 on: May 25, 2018, 02:05:22 PM »
... you're right.  I meant to put The Monster in there rather than Colossus.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #28524 on: May 25, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »
Viva la Virtue!

Kruhl Sentru

• Underling
« Reply #28525 on: May 25, 2018, 04:25:45 PM »
Judging by the vitriol, name calling, etc., I'm going to say that the poster was part of the problem, not the solution.  Quite frankly, though, I don't care about ranting like that.  City of Titans isn't a game I was looking forward to due to my own reasons, but if it works, great!  If it doesn't, there are a ton of various other options.  Ship of Heroes, Valiance Online, Heroes and Villains, etc. etc.  And, if that wasn't enough, there's still that ever so slim chance of the game's server software being made available to host somehow.  If nothing else, I believe the community has proven time and again that City of Heroes was alive and well, and that there was no sensible or legitimate reason for the shutdown.

Personally, I'm working on my own small game design.  Due to health reasons, it won't be around for probably quite some time.  It won't be CoX, and it won't be a superhero/comic setting, but if there's one thing I intend to preserve, it's the Mastermind.  That was THE best pet class I've ever played, and deserves to be brought back.  Heck, I'm looking at working on a Minecraft mod to sharpen my skills and test some theories in an environment where I feel I can afford to screw up (as apposed to a sellable product), and I plan to make some measure of Mastermind style combat options available there as well.  If nothing else, at least I can preserve one tiny piece!  XD

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #28526 on: May 25, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »
Judging by the vitriol, name calling, etc., I'm going to say that the poster was part of the problem, not the solution.

That was my take on  it as well. Regardless of your opinions about how fast/slow CoT's development has been (or if they seem to be heading in the right direction or off a cliff), I think it's safe to say that anyone unprofessional enough to go online post and a sour grapes rant like that one isn't going to be an asset to your team.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #28527 on: May 25, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »
So, I've been reading ROM comics lately.  This gets me thinking: what would ROM, Spaceknight, have been like in City of Heroes?  A Blaster, to signify his analyzer and neutralizer?  A tank, to emphasize his durability and brawling abilities?  Or what?

Did anyone ever make a ROM-alike in-game?
What is a ROM outside of Romulans and Read Only Memory.

When I wrote my Superhero Novellia I found it every easy to turn my City of. character into my main character. How I thought about this was, what powers did she use? What was she like to her friends and family? And what caused the rift between her and her twin sister.

In game I made an over arching story with her and many other characters. Now that I am able to explore more of her lore in deeper detail. :)

But back to your question, think about the powers they used. And ask  questions like did the throw fire, if they did then it can be easy to put them in a ranged role. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28528 on: May 25, 2018, 05:49:42 PM »
And don't forget:
Scranks
Blappers
etc.

I had a toon named "Heck Guy" after Hell Boy.  I made him a blaster to get the pistol.  And reading the description, I made him mutant instead of magic.  He relied on "Engry Punch" a lot.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28529 on: May 25, 2018, 07:18:17 PM »
What is a ROM outside of Romulans and Read Only Memory.

ROM is a 1970s toy by Parker Brothers/Hasbro ported into Marvel Comics.  He's what's known as a Spaceknight: battle armor, ability to fly and survive in space, a weapon that's a supercharged blaster and gauntlets that allow him to analyze and reveal the identities of the shapeshifting Dire Wraiths he hunts so that they can't go around and take over planets.

Think, sort of, an intergalactic Iron Man who can actually hold his own in a melee brawl.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28530 on: May 26, 2018, 12:39:30 AM »

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28531 on: May 26, 2018, 02:05:10 AM »
ROM is a 1970s toy by Parker Brothers/Hasbro ported into Marvel Comics.  He's what's known as a Spaceknight: battle armor, ability to fly and survive in space, a weapon that's a supercharged blaster and gauntlets that allow him to analyze and reveal the identities of the shapeshifting Dire Wraiths he hunts so that they can't go around and take over planets.

Think, sort of, an intergalactic Iron Man who can actually hold his own in a melee brawl.

Rom was known for his strength, near indestructibility and the neutralizer, for CoH I would have to go with INV/SS tank   or perhaps SS/INV Brute

For the neutralizer, well it would banish wraiths to limbo while leaving piles of ash that were once their bodies so perhaps the incarnate fire judgement attack to represent his neutralizer?

Note: I also spent a few minutes going through the character creator in Paragon Chat, making a ROM lookalike isn't going to happen. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 02:16:45 AM by Sinistar »
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #28532 on: May 26, 2018, 08:22:10 AM »
Thank you all for answering my question :). I honestly never heard of Rom sorry :(.

As for CoH Survivors FB group wasn't that the group what's his face, who decided to stick his nose into the talks with Nc Soft and pushed the group to unmask themselves? If so, this is what I call Karma.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28533 on: May 26, 2018, 03:38:32 PM »
Thank you all for answering my question :). I honestly never heard of Rom sorry :(.

ah it's okay.  ROM as a toy failed yet his comic lived on well past the toy's shelf life.  :)
In fearful COH-less days

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28534 on: May 27, 2018, 04:27:44 PM »
ah it's okay.  ROM as a toy failed yet his comic lived on well past the toy's shelf life.  :)

I'll say - I'm unfamiliar with ROM also - but he's been a part of the shared IDW Transformers universe for awhile now, so someone out there loves him!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28535 on: May 28, 2018, 02:05:53 AM »
I'll say - I'm unfamiliar with ROM also - but he's been a part of the shared IDW Transformers universe for awhile now, so someone out there loves him!

Yeah when IDW announced they were launching an all new, revamped ROM, Spaceknight I did a double take and had to reread the article to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

If I recall correctly, a long time ago possibly in the  Marvel Comics Captain Marvel series that had Rick Jones linked to Genis-Vell the son of Mar-Vell, I think they had in Rick Jones apartment a toaster that looked like ROM's head, and in Rick's closet was a life sized ROM costume prop.

Marvel apparently then learned the hard way from Hasbro, the current rights holders, that Marvel's ownership of the rights had long since lapsed and that ROM cannot appear in spaceknight form in any Marvel comic at all unless Marvel ponies up the cash for the trademarks.

Marvel of course says "NO" and as a result they cannot do any reprints or essential trades or Marvel Masterwork collections of ROM, he cannot appear in spaceknight form at all either.

Marvel though does own ROM's HUMAN form, Planet Galador and all the other Spaceknights, and all of these characters came from the fertile imagination of Bill Mantlo :)

However after a Spaceknights mini-series failed to reignite interest and Galador appearing in an Annihilators mini series, Marvel apparently scrapped all spaceknight plans and I think Galador was destroyed a few years back in an Avengers event.

Soon after, IDW announces they have ROM.  IDW is Hasbro's comic publisher so it would make sense that they would get ROM, but they still need to be careful not to tread on anything Marvel did, they apparently cannot reprint the classic Marvel ROM issues, and my thought upon reading that they had ROM was

"Wow, talk about blowing the cobwebs off of a dusty antique!"

But I enjoyed the new ROM series, too bad it was cancelled and wrapped up in a crossover event. :(

But at least they got rid of the thigh-high boots and the mitten hands ;)
In fearful COH-less days

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28536 on: May 28, 2018, 03:34:13 AM »
ROM STUFF

Loved the summary!  Thanks for all the info!

Ultimate15

• Boss
Viva la Virtue!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28538 on: May 30, 2018, 06:31:03 AM »
Loved the summary!  Thanks for all the info!

You're welcome. Looks like in August IDW will be collecting all 14 issues of their ROM and the annual and a special one shot into one giant collection.
In fearful COH-less days

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant