Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210304 times)

Azrael

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28940 on: April 10, 2019, 07:09:57 PM »
So I take it you liked that analogy?

I did.  Appropriate and a 'fun' way of explaining the progress which fans of the game can understand.

When they start 'method acting' and a flashing energy torrent can scatter a mob of 'actors' then I'll like it even more.  Of course.

But to see appropriate mobs from Kings Row to Perez to Steel Canyon to Talos etc. taking their place on the stage...it was a very intriguing and exciting thing to see.  The Segs community seem to know what they're doing. ;)

So, the 'script' writers at SEGs can spawn mobs.  Impressive juncture.

And yes, I can well imagine what comes next is a very difficult 'act' to accomplish to get a full combat system working.  (Maybe 'this time' next year?)  But the 'gains' thus far have been noteworthy...and the mobs on stage?

Dramatic!

Azrael.

mobbyg

• Minion
  • Ultra Knight Lives!!
« Reply #28941 on: April 12, 2019, 02:04:32 AM »
I did.  Appropriate and a 'fun' way of explaining the progress which fans of the game can understand.

When they start 'method acting' and a flashing energy torrent can scatter a mob of 'actors' then I'll like it even more.  Of course.

But to see appropriate mobs from Kings Row to Perez to Steel Canyon to Talos etc. taking their place on the stage...it was a very intriguing and exciting thing to see.  The Segs community seem to know what they're doing. ;)

So, the 'script' writers at SEGs can spawn mobs.  Impressive juncture.

And yes, I can well imagine what comes next is a very difficult 'act' to accomplish to get a full combat system working.  (Maybe 'this time' next year?)  But the 'gains' thus far have been noteworthy...and the mobs on stage?

Dramatic!

Azrael.

Thank you. I usually ad lib a lot of that stuff. Looking at it just brought that to mind so.. there it is..

But yeah, basic combat has been played with. Basic AI stuff too. But the real work is as you implied. The scripting group is making things happen everyday. It great to see the progress in the chat as they talk about it.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28942 on: April 12, 2019, 10:33:13 PM »
https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9675.28940

Power fx demos on npcs.  Spawning mobs. 

*teases the mind...

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28943 on: April 12, 2019, 10:34:07 PM »
Thank you. I usually ad lib a lot of that stuff. Looking at it just brought that to mind so.. there it is..

But yeah, basic combat has been played with. Basic AI stuff too. But the real work is as you implied. The scripting group is making things happen everyday. It great to see the progress in the chat as they talk about it.

It's coming along quite nicely.  Basic combat and basic AI.  It's all progress... :)

Officer Flint is kicking bacon butty there...  I don't think I've ever seen that many powers buffed / stacked on an npc/alt before...

Azrael.

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #28944 on: April 15, 2019, 05:43:13 PM »
Looking forward to see SEGS becoming fully playable. As per the spiritual successors, also waiting on Ship of Heroes although I hate the spaceship idea...

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28945 on: April 19, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
...and green light.  BTW: all discussion concerning SCORE Public Release or i24 Server efforts should go to The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release

Back to babbling!
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #28946 on: April 19, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »
Looking forward to see SEGS becoming fully playable. As per the spiritual successors, also waiting on Ship of Heroes although I hate the spaceship idea...

I'm also not thrilled about what I've seen from SoH. It honestly looks to me like it started as a cheap knock-off of CoH, that they gradually made different enough to actually maybe sort of be more than "City of Heroes... in space!" You can see the Wayback Machine images of their website, that "CoH in space!" that that really is pretty much what they were going for, with mission statements that directly reference COH, and a costume creator that is pretty much the very minimum of change required to make it not look exactly like CoH's. And their logo is still a CoH rip-off.

And then they had polls like this:

SOH will have enhancements to powers that do not affect appearance at all, as in COH. Which option do you prefer?

Similar to COH. Max of 6 enhancements per power.
Let me go up to 8 or 9 per power
Give each power the same number of slots.
Something different from COH enhancements (future poll subject if this wins)
No limits! Let me put all my enhancements into a couple of favorite powers.

It's crazy how blatantly they were just copying CoH, and also crazy to me that *years* before actual development was happening, they're asking polls about nitty-gritty game design details. I mean, enhancements went through huge, fundamental changes even after CoH was live!
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #28947 on: April 20, 2019, 10:54:12 PM »
Ignore me. I'm punchy. (comment deleted)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28948 on: April 20, 2019, 11:51:21 PM »
5 months without internet is rough. I'll probably have a couple of more as well. moving can be such a pain in the convenience. also, looking for work is annoying.

So, what did I miss?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28949 on: April 20, 2019, 11:54:29 PM »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28950 on: April 22, 2019, 03:48:54 AM »
Hey, IronWolf, maybe you should update the first page of this thread.
Lay out the facts, when we found out and from whom.
I hope that I'm not out of line here.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28951 on: April 22, 2019, 03:53:41 AM »
Not surprisingly, there's still no news on that front.

There's nothing to update.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

jessejame

• Underling
« Reply #28952 on: April 22, 2019, 08:38:16 PM »
At least we still have eachother.

etnies445

• Underling
« Reply #28953 on: April 23, 2019, 01:07:41 AM »
Quote removed

Tbh Leandro kept his ship on course and tight for 6 years.

Today demonstrated why he did that, today was a shit show. He's not a moron - he just didn't want to lose the server and the game, I get it.

Secondly - the test server got the axe from within, it was essentially a paranoid person who had the physical servers, and a rumour got to them that spooked them, so they wiped it and took it all down, which by the way, if they were afraid of legal action destroying the evidence (when other evidence exists) isn't really the best way of doing it.

Either way, the test server will probably be back in a few days, we'll get an update tomorrow from the somewhat discombobulated unorganized team running it that will hopefully no longer be discombobulated and unorganized.

And once someone who isn't paranoid as hell has a physical server and is running it we might get an official launch.

It'll either be i24 or SCOREs i25.

Leandro is still offering his help to set up a server on i25 right away if you have a server that meets the specs, ESPECIALLY if it's in a country that ignores cease and desists, as he doesn't want someone who is going to bucker to just take it down again.

Leandro is not the problem.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:31:31 AM by TonyV »

emperorsteele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28954 on: April 23, 2019, 01:51:47 AM »
Not to mention all the political drama.

I won't get into it, but basically the Discord where a lot of this was getting organized devolved into a toxic cesspool, and now the community is split into like 3 or 4 discords all while waiting to see what progress the others ones make (SPOILER: not much, except for the main first one).

So, that's slowing things down, too.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28955 on: April 23, 2019, 02:36:41 AM »
You had the coders working and staying out of the mess and the server guys trying to get things converted to a more modern server architecture. Then the trolls and idiots, in other words just another day on the internet.

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28956 on: April 23, 2019, 03:30:00 AM »
I will say, for the meager 4 or 5 hours I got to play again, it felt like home. Even if this is the last memory I have of this game, it will be a good one.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #28957 on: April 23, 2019, 03:33:12 AM »
Okay, people, please knock it off with the name-calling and misinformation.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #28958 on: April 23, 2019, 01:26:30 PM »
This community showed what is possible when we work together for a few days.  What was accomplished was nothing short of incredible!  Hopefully, what was learned will make it even better the next time.  Unfortunately, some segments of the community with, shall we say less than constructive motivations, have succeeded in seeding distrust, anger, and sometimes outright hatred.  The result is that the community has fractured to the point where it has become very hard to tell where to look for any official updates, and efforts at resurrecting the server do not appears as focused, or coordinated as they were in the days leading up to the test server going live.  I don't think even NCSoft could have done a better job of dividing us! 

This is so counterproductive to the end results that we have hoped for 7 years to see happen again in our lifetime.  We were so very close this past weekend.  I would hate to look back and think that the only reason this didn't work, was because we couldn't find a way to see past our differences, and focus on the one thing we ALL have in common, which is our love for this game.  If we can't do that, I fear that anything we do will be a short-term solution at best, and we will have nobody to blame but ourselves.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28959 on: April 23, 2019, 02:27:52 PM »
Stuff!

I was kinda buzzed (not excusing, I swear) and giving my...'raw' opinion at the time. 

My initial read was that he was taking a ton of money, evading taxes and deleted everything when the mere rumor of legal action happened. Apparently, I was wrong, though, so I'll just admit I jumped the gun a bit.