Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210393 times)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #29080 on: May 16, 2019, 12:33:20 AM »
I honestly don't think it was malicious in any regard.  Just annoying.  I think the coders who said they would help people were showing a little elitism "lol if you can't do it I wont explain it" kind of thing.  But other than that I think it was just a case of A) People saying they could help and finding out they couldn't (Which is fine) or the more common option B) People said they will help with 0 intent of actually helping.  Just kind of an empty gesture people made (Who at the time probably meant it)

Like I said I was just annoyed people were offering help, and then ignoring me/giving me half smart ass answers.  Just say "No I can't help sorry" and ill say "Cool thanks for listening even"

I agree I have skimmed over Reddit and a few other places.  The data and instructions are out there if you can find them.

It does appear for the most part to be people trying to be funny, mixed with a small amount of fear that Ncsoft may drop the hammer on all of this.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Ncsoft has had some staff already registered and on the discord servers to check things out. Hopefully it means they are kicking themselves where it hurts the most over the decision to shut it down...

In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29081 on: May 16, 2019, 10:20:11 AM »
But is it also defense capped?

Defence capping.  Now.  That I'm not sure about.  I'll have to keep looking until I find it.  I know it's fast.  (I'm sure with Arcana, it will be Newtonianly fast.)  Arcana was talking about having Torrent as a 3rd attack power.  So that must be fast.  As Torrent's recharge has the turning circle of the Titannic.  (Exaggerating.) 

Knockback protection and defence capping would add a a great deal to an En/En blaster.  Plus, with i24...there's the new 'Conserve' power that gives health and...an end reduction of 90% in end costs?

EN' was always expensive to run re' end.  And the knockbk was very 'hit and miss' so the mitigation was hit and miss.  The damage, I found mediocre and the attack chain somewhat ponderous.  (Maybe I'm being unkind.)

The most fun I've had playing CoH though!  Terrifically designed set.

Forced (pun intended) you to be skillful I guess.  With the new Health/End overpower 'press button' it's opened up new playing styles with the insta-snipe too.  It feels far more fluid and encourages more 'daring' play.

I took on a mob of 8 red Warriors in Talos.  Something I'd never attempted before insta-snipe.  Having a bucket full of end/regen inspires more confidence.

I've even started talking the leadership pool (which, with Tactics 'to hit' bonus promising to perma trigger snipe....to 'insta' on call....sounds like a revelation.)  It actually makes sense to do so now.

Wish the knock back was more 'guaranteed' though.  If you hit, I'd like to see the knock back trigger unless you're up against an AV, of course.  That would encourage knock back slotting to put some opponents further out the fight whilst you deal with others.  If knbk fails against a warrior?  Mace attack.  Dead.

The only weak link in addition to the erratic knock back...is the blaster's hit points (You gotta have some weak point, I guess :) ... )  So, you're quick but brittle.  I can take that trade.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29082 on: May 16, 2019, 10:27:30 AM »

I agree I have skimmed over Reddit and a few other places.  The data and instructions are out there if you can find them.

It does appear for the most part to be people trying to be funny, mixed with a small amount of fear that Ncsoft may drop the hammer on all of this.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Ncsoft has had some staff already registered and on the discord servers to check things out. Hopefully it means they are kicking themselves where it hurts the most over the decision to shut it down...

The fact that 'donations' are starting to happen has me concerned that NC Soft will drop the hammer.

First of all, there was a declaration that no money was going to exchange hands...as that would jeopardise the project.

That seems to be reversed.

Azrael.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29083 on: May 16, 2019, 11:09:24 AM »
I had it saved from when she posted it. I suspect it would change a lot given current game conditions. I know all of the for fun builds I did during the hiatus aren't what I'd make now.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.96
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Arcana NrgNrg: Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Energy Blast
Secondary Power Set: Energy Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Force Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Apoc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apoc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Apoc-Acc/Rchg(3), Apoc-Dmg/EndRdx(5), Apoc-Dam%(5), FrcFbk-Rechg%(7)
Level 1: Power Thrust -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 2: Power Blast -- Decim-Acc/Dmg(A), Decim-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Decim-Dmg/Rchg(9), Decim-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(9), Decim-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), FrcFbk-Rechg%(11)
Level 4: Build Up -- GSFC-ToHit(A), GSFC-ToHit/Rchg(37), GSFC-ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(39), GSFC-Rchg/EndRdx(39), GSFC-ToHit/EndRdx(39), GSFC-Build%(40)
Level 6: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13), RechRdx-I(13)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), LkGmblr-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 10: Hover -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), LkGmblr-Def/EndRdx(43), LkGmblr-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46), HO:Enzym(46)
Level 12: Energy Torrent -- Ragnrk-Dmg(A), Ragnrk-Dmg/Rchg(19), Ragnrk-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Ragnrk-Acc/Rchg(21), Ragnrk-Dmg/EndRdx(23), FrcFbk-Rechg%(23)
Level 14: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 16: Bone Smasher -- Mako-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Hectmb-Dmg/Rchg(19), Hectmb-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Hectmb-Acc/Rchg(27), Hectmb-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Hectmb-Dam%(29)
Level 18: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34), RechRdx-I(34)
Level 20: Fly -- HO:Micro(A)
Level 22: Boxing -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 24: Tough -- GA-3defTpProc(A), S'fstPrt-ResDam/Def+(25), S'fstPrt-ResKB(33), GA-End/Res(33), GA-ResDam(33), HO:Ribo(34)
Level 26: Weave -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), LkGmblr-Def/EndRdx(46), LkGmblr-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), HO:Enzym(48)
Level 28: Explosive Blast -- Posi-Acc/Dmg(A), Posi-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Posi-Dmg/Rchg(36), Posi-Dmg/Rng(36), Posi-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), FrcFbk-Rechg%(37)
Level 30: Power Boost -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Nova -- Armgdn-Dmg(A), Armgdn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Armgdn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Armgdn-Acc/Rchg(50), Armgdn-Dmg/EndRdx(50), Armgdn-Dam%(50)
Level 35: Boost Range -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Total Focus -- SBlastersW-Acc/Dmg(A), SBlastersW-Dmg/Rchg(40), SBlastersW-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SBlastersW-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SBlastersW-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SBlastersW-Rchg/Dmg%(42)
Level 41: Personal Force Field -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A), LkGmblr-EndRdx/Rchg(43), LkGmblr-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 44: Temp Invulnerability -- Aegis-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Aegis-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Aegis-Psi/Status(45)
Level 47: Force of Nature -- ResDam-I(A)
Level 49: Super Speed -- Winter-ResSlow(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clrty-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Numna-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrcl-Rcvry+(15), Numna-Heal(17), Numna-Heal/EndRdx(31), RgnTis-Regen+(31)
Level 2: Stamina -- P'Shift-EndMod/Acc(A), P'Shift-EndMod/Rchg(15), P'Shift-EndMod(17), P'Shift-End%(29)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Run-I(A)
------------

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29084 on: May 16, 2019, 01:28:40 PM »
Thank you, Vee. :)

Much appreciated.  Looks a good 'fun' build.

Just a quick glance...missing snipe (which given insta-snipe...) but that's got to be compelling with i24(?) and energy punch (a blapping favourite of mine.)

Though the rest seems fine.

What about having Tactics to 'prime' the insta snipe?  Use the turbo build to bring Snipe around as fast as possible?

Having snipe on call and torrent as a 3rd attack power would be sound.

It will take a while saving up to make that build. :OOO

Azrael.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:42:10 PM by Azrael »

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29085 on: May 16, 2019, 10:21:21 PM »
The fact that 'donations' are starting to happen has me concerned that NC Soft will drop the hammer.

First of all, there was a declaration that no money was going to exchange hands...as that would jeopardise the project.

That seems to be reversed.

Azrael.

Well the trick is to show that all donations go to the servers/bandwidth/maintenance and nothing else. NO PROFIT and NO bonuses/rewards given to those that donate money.

Also to be smart about it, they should set a donation goal, of say 3 months of server costs, when the goal is reached shut down the donations. Then when needed reactivate donations and KEEP PROPER ACCOUNTING of the money.

Now granted they are still at risk, but if they can show no profilt and no rewards being given....
In fearful COH-less days

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29086 on: May 17, 2019, 03:38:15 PM »
Well the trick is to show that all donations go to the servers/bandwidth/maintenance and nothing else. NO PROFIT and NO bonuses/rewards given to those that donate money.

Also to be smart about it, they should set a donation goal, of say 3 months of server costs, when the goal is reached shut down the donations. Then when needed reactivate donations and KEEP PROPER ACCOUNTING of the money.

Now granted they are still at risk, but if they can show no profilt and no rewards being given....

Yes.  Need to take great care here not to jeopardise the rebirth.

A 'not for profit' organisaton.  Charity style..?

Azrael.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29087 on: May 19, 2019, 05:14:53 PM »
A terrible thought occurred to me as I was falling asleep last night.  What if this is all a Nemesis plot?

Just act like you're meant to be there ;D

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29088 on: May 20, 2019, 12:32:27 AM »
You can run the game yourself at home now.  The game can never be taken away from you again.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29089 on: May 20, 2019, 01:01:58 AM »
You can run the game yourself at home now.  The game can never be taken away from you again.

Sadly I'm not sure I'll be playing again - haven't played with mouse & keys for so long - although I might do it just to roleplay I guess, who knows...

Gratz to all on the win regardless, shame we're not all here to see it.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29090 on: May 20, 2019, 02:11:26 AM »
Sadly I'm not sure I'll be playing again - haven't played with mouse & keys for so long - although I might do it just to roleplay I guess, who knows...

Gratz to all on the win regardless, shame we're not all here to see it.

No we aren't all here to see the return,  heck I had hoped the game could have returned a lot sooner so that we could have gotten Stan Lee himself to play it, how cool would that have been?

Though someone on one of the servers appears to have made a tribute alt named Stan the Man....

But the fact that we can setup our own personal servers or play on the public ones is great!

Now to master the admin controls on my personal one.....
In fearful COH-less days

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29091 on: May 20, 2019, 02:26:25 AM »
No we aren't all here to see the return,  heck I had hoped the game could have returned a lot sooner so that we could have gotten Stan Lee himself to play it, how cool would that have been?

You never know huh, I mean you'd have to think he was aware of the game at the very least between the lawsuit with Marvel & later with TBBT cast wearing shirts & whatnot...

Regardless, it's a huge result after so many years pinning for something we all held dear...guess I'll have to look into a server myself - anyone know how they're handling character names at all?

;D

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29092 on: May 20, 2019, 07:07:05 AM »
You never know huh, I mean you'd have to think he was aware of the game at the very least between the lawsuit with Marvel & later with TBBT cast wearing shirts & whatnot...

Regardless, it's a huge result after so many years pinning for something we all held dear...guess I'll have to look into a server myself - anyone know how they're handling character names at all?

;D

Character names are still unique, so if you name a character, no one can use the same name.

If you refer to trademarked character names......well I've seen a few and no direct signs of the generic bat being used but.....why chance it?

If you want to o use trademarked names use them on your own server
In fearful COH-less days

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29093 on: May 20, 2019, 01:21:53 PM »
I mostly stopped because I figured I would wait until it had some more friendly tools, I didn't mind it was difficult or beyond my skill level.  But it was quite frustrating going to Reddit and the main CoH Discord and numerous people saying "Feel free to ask for help!" and then when you do they either completely dismiss you or give smart ass answers.  The one, in particular, I got when asking if an error I was getting was normal and they said "It is if the map server isn't running" and then provided no other information.  This was one of the coders and admins of the main discord who boasts about helping people play the game on "their own terms" and yet was about as helpful as an apathetic mechanic telling you that it's normal for your car not to run if the engine is broken.

The way the people who offer help are handling it is what annoys me so much.  I understand some people got it working, think they can help, and actually can't.  That's okay I don't feel anyone is obligated.  But just ignoring people or giving half-assed answers is downright insulting.  Don't even offer help in the first place if you are going to be snide about helping people, this is something the "private server community" doesn't seem to grasp.

To me, it feels like asking someone to help you move and they agree and then just never show up.  I wouldn't be mad if you just said "No" or "I can't" in the first place.

EDIT:  Just to say this isn't related to Homecoming.  I know that isn't their end goal, it's all the other communities that boast it's their end goal.

Well, keep in mind the admins are not Paragon Studios.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29094 on: May 20, 2019, 09:03:30 PM »
Character names are still unique, so if you name a character, no one can use the same name.

If you refer to trademarked character names......well I've seen a few and no direct signs of the generic bat being used but.....why chance it?

If you want to o use trademarked names use them on your own server

No trademarks - I just don't want to have to go through placeholder names & whatnot again...

Thanks though - I may still may jump on and see if I can't make a few toons for old times sake.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29095 on: May 20, 2019, 09:45:18 PM »
No trademarks - I just don't want to have to go through placeholder names & whatnot again...

Thanks though - I may still may jump on and see if I can't make a few toons for old times sake.

Well I would say there is a good chance that names you used will be available unless someone else had them written down and wanted to swipe them, so you should be okay.

Also with 1000 character slots....well you have room for many names :)
In fearful COH-less days

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29096 on: May 21, 2019, 01:41:14 AM »
Well I would say there is a good chance that names you used will be available unless someone else had them written down and wanted to swipe them, so you should be okay.

Also with 1000 character slots....well you have room for many names :)

Any ideas what control I have running my own sever - can I increase xp, or use the shop without paying real cash?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29097 on: May 21, 2019, 02:12:11 AM »
Any ideas what control I have running my own sever - can I increase xp, or use the shop without paying real cash?

Real cash is not used any where in the reborn CoH, if you want to get your vet reward powers back there is a vendor in atlas park. Real cash not required

As to your own server....I hear there are lists of server command codes online that you could use on your own server.
In fearful COH-less days

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29098 on: May 21, 2019, 03:34:29 AM »
Well, keep in mind the admins are not Paragon Studios.

I am fully aware of that.  Which is why I didn't ask the Homecoming team devs.  Because that isn't the service they are providing.  The people I asked for help literally said, word for word, "Ask me for help"

Like Sinistar said even on the "public" servers everything on the cash shop is either free or can be purchased for Influence.  You can also get tokens for free that double your XP for an hour but disable influence gain as well as other various levels (25% xp boost, 25% influence reduction).

On a private server, I know you can set your self to 50 using Admin Powers.  I imagine you can create influence too but I am not certain on that.  I think the more you know about coding, the more you can change such as XP rates.  But I think even the basic Admin Commands allow you to "recreate" characters at the very least.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29099 on: May 21, 2019, 03:55:29 AM »
Real cash is not used any where in the reborn CoH, if you want to get your vet reward powers back there is a vendor in atlas park. Real cash not required

As to your own server....I hear there are lists of server command codes online that you could use on your own server.

Like Sinistar said even on the "public" servers everything on the cash shop is either free or can be purchased for Influence.  You can also get tokens for free that double your XP for an hour but disable influence gain as well as other various levels (25% xp boost, 25% influence reduction).

On a private server, I know you can set your self to 50 using Admin Powers.  I imagine you can create influence too but I am not certain on that.  I think the more you know about coding, the more you can change such as XP rates.  But I think even the basic Admin Commands allow you to "recreate" characters at the very least.

Brilliant, Thanks guys!

One last question - is there any talk of someone setting up a Titan server?

I'm thinking something along the lines of setting up my own to power level toons, then migrating over to roleplay & run endgame content...