Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7209817 times)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #29120 on: June 01, 2019, 10:49:56 PM »
Well with trademarks it is use them or lose them over time and NCsoft is not using CoH.
So eventually the trademark will lapse.  I do not know the time frame though.
http://tess2.uspto.gov/
You'll find all but one of the CoH trademarks have already lapsed, and the last one hasn't only because it's apparently on a ten-year renewal cycle.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Keldian

• Minion
« Reply #29121 on: June 05, 2019, 06:20:13 PM »
Renewal   1ST RENEWAL 20130424. 

So, it looks like that one won't expire until 2023.  Maybe a little worrisome that it was renewed after the sunset had already completed.  But that may have just been automated.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29122 on: June 06, 2019, 07:13:05 AM »
Renewal   1ST RENEWAL 20130424. 

So, it looks like that one won't expire until 2023.  Maybe a little worrisome that it was renewed after the sunset had already completed.  But that may have just been automated.

Could have been, or it was part of that MxM failure.  As long as they file written intent to use or actually use them, they own them. 

I really hope that someone does swoop in and snap up the trademarks though.

Lapsed trademarks are first come first serve, that isn't illegal just business.

The Ghost Rider went out of print circa 1958 and Marvel picked it up when it lapsed. Not illegal.

The original pre-Marvel Daredevil had its run and stopped and Stan Lee called up the owner and bought up the trademark.

The creator of the original concept of the original GI JOE figure sold the rights at the time for basically a song......nobody knew what a franchise GI JOE would become.   Legal, yes. Lousy luck also

Same with Siegle and Schuster the creators of Superman.  Nobody knew what a frankenstein they had created at the time. 
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #29123 on: July 19, 2019, 02:16:39 PM »
I remember checking this thread nearly every day. Or, at least every OTHER day.

I still can't believe we're actually playing COH again.
Viva la Virtue!

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #29124 on: July 21, 2019, 01:13:28 PM »
I still come here frequently, and I sincerely hope that the Titan community continues to be a relevant part of the community going forward!
What was no more, is now reborn!

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #29125 on: August 08, 2019, 06:05:19 PM »
I remember checking this thread nearly every day. Or, at least every OTHER day.

I still can't believe we're actually playing COH again.

I sometimes read the beginning of the thread in reflection, because now I'm actually playing again! Hell, even have a few 50s!
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29126 on: August 10, 2019, 05:44:58 AM »
Did they upgrade the servers or are there fewer players?
It seems like the servers have 2 green dots a lot more then 3 red dots.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29127 on: August 10, 2019, 02:41:27 PM »
Population is down a bit, which is understandable.  Summer typically means folks are out doing other things, plus after a time, people who were scared that the game could disappear again at any moment were playing like made to get the CoH fix before that happened.  Now that it has been around for awhile, they are starting to accept that this is for real, and it's going to be here for the foreseeable future, so they tend to play less fervently/frequently.  Plus, with the talks going on between the Homecoming/Titan teams, and NCSoft in an effort to fully legitimize this whole resurgence, things are looking really good for the long term!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29128 on: August 10, 2019, 09:23:26 PM »
Also, back to school season.  A lot of new players and their parents are a little occupied this month.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29129 on: August 11, 2019, 03:20:49 AM »
So you're saying that the game didn't live up to people's momery of it.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29130 on: August 11, 2019, 10:21:43 AM »
No one said anything like that unless it got deleted before i saw it. also it's better than it was, even in memory.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29131 on: August 11, 2019, 03:10:31 PM »
I think folks are busy for the summer, and now a little more comfortable that the game will be around for them to play, and so don't feel the pressing need to play 24x7 to get their fill before it disappears.  Also, let's not forget that in circles that keep up with gaming news, most folks know of its return.  But, for those that love the game, but don't frequent those kinds of news outlets, they are still unaware, and trickling back as they find out.  I see posts on the Homecoming forum, and the CoH Survivors Facebook page, from folks who only just discovered the games rebirth, and are overjoyed to jump back in.  That effect could continue for quite some time to come.  But, overall active player numbers will ebb and flow in their natural cycles.  Let's not forget that there are other servers out there outside of Homecoming too.  As much as I lament the divisions that created that situation, there are active players there that don't always get counted, and I'm not even sure what their average numbers look like, but they are out there!

triedac

• Minion
« Reply #29132 on: August 11, 2019, 06:10:28 PM »
Yeppers its as amazing as it was. :) Better since I have more time to play now. I was hard core into it for a couple months, but I've backed down a bit. Nothing on the game, that's just me with games. I still jump on to play with my wife though. Another month or two and I'll jump hardcore into it again.

As far as NCSoft news goes with this game:
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/7629-an-update-from-the-homecoming-team/

Some good stuff. :)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29133 on: August 12, 2019, 01:21:13 PM »
Yup!  I'm excited by this news, and for the possibilities it represents!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29134 on: August 13, 2019, 02:18:54 AM »
So you're saying that the game didn't live up to people's momery of it.

In my memory, the game was my favorite game of all time.

Getting to play it again has reminded me of all the little annoying things about it (layer cakes and Carnies and Sappers and Orenbega and defeat-alls), and now...

It's still my favorite game of all time.  I've been playing it as much as ever.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29135 on: August 13, 2019, 01:13:21 PM »
In my memory, the game was my favorite game of all time.

Getting to play it again has reminded me of all the little annoying things about it (layer cakes and Carnies and Sappers and Orenbega and defeat-alls), and now...

It's still my favorite game of all time.  I've been playing it as much as ever.

Yup!  Even the parts of the game that always annoyed me, are an absolute pleasure to experience again, when compared to not being able to experience them for the past 7 years!

Surelle

« Reply #29136 on: August 18, 2019, 03:00:19 AM »
Summer (and the impending Labor Day weekend) are also the busiest moving time of the entire year.  I can vouch for this, as my son and I just moved, too. 

I'm also changing jobs within the next couple/few weeks.  Whew!   ;D

But CoX is just as great as I remembered it, and the in-game player base is just as great.

Long live CoX, and I wish Titan, Leandro and Homecoming all the luck in the world with NCsoft.  I hope it all pans out.  (And even if it doesn't, the code is alaready out there.  There's no turning back now!)

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29137 on: August 18, 2019, 07:55:14 PM »
Summer (and the impending Labor Day weekend) are also the busiest moving time of the entire year.  I can vouch for this, as my son and I just moved, too. 

I'm also changing jobs within the next couple/few weeks.  Whew!   ;D

But CoX is just as great as I remembered it, and the in-game player base is just as great.

Long live CoX, and I wish Titan, Leandro and Homecoming all the luck in the world with NCsoft.  I hope it all pans out.  (And even if it doesn't, the code is alaready out there.  There's no turning back now!)

and its not like there is anything even remoretly out yet. We are eagerly awaiting fall 2018.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29138 on: September 12, 2019, 03:20:48 AM »
Best of luck everyone - I'm @LateNights on Reunion if anyone ever needs anything.

Be awesome!

Jubilation

• Underling
« Reply #29139 on: September 23, 2019, 06:51:29 PM »
I didn't even realize it's back until now and I checked back a month or two ago. How did I miss that? Those are great news.