Author Topic: Fair warning to successor projects  (Read 15012 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Fair warning to successor projects
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:52:08 PM »
I was in Champons Online last night, and commented that, if any of the successor games has something like lockboxes, it'd better also have a "sit down and cry" emote, because I'll need it.

Someone responded with (direct quote), "If any of the successor games has lockboxes, I'm going to hunt down and face-punch the gibbering nitwit responsible."

You have been warned; conduct yourselves accordingly.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: Fair warning to successor projects
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:26:18 AM »
Remember Superpacks?

I would not have a problem with lockboxes if they help fund the game. I've probably opened hundreds of boxes in CO, no more than 9 or 10 in NW, and none at all in STO. If they have something in them I'd like, I'll pay for it. If they don't, I won't.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:10:06 AM »
The difference being that lockboxes are what I call "non-loot"; they drop in place of something potentially usable, and take up space in inventory. To me, they're an irritant, like a kid getting underwear for Christmas - only the underwear are five sizes too small, and for the wrong gender. At least superpacks had the common decency to only be encountered in the store.

If it'll help fund the game, that's fine, but put them in the store, and out of the way of play. I feel like I've thrown away enough lockboxes to rebuild a Paragon City neighborhood all by myself.

Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:49:27 AM »
I loved the Superpacks..

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »
What is the definition of a "lockbox"

do you mean a litteral box object which drops as loot and needs to be unlocked with pay items?

do you mean some sort of random item box?

do you mean an item that allows you to lock items so people can't steal them?
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »
Lockboxes come in two flavors:

1) a commonly-dropped item with random better-than-average stuff inside, that needs to be opened with a pay-for key (many games that have this kind also have a way to change in-game money to RL money equivalent - e.g. CO's Q to Zen and back)
* these lockboxes can be sold for a pittance, typically, to at least remove them from your inventory space.

2) an item with random better-than-average stuff inside, that is given out only during events, doesn't require a key to open because of limited availability (Marvel Heroes' various boxes operate like this)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »
Marvel Avengers Alliance has a variant, in that their lockboxes can be opened without a key and drop only during special events, but they can also be bought with Gold (the game's premium currency, a la Paragon Points, or Zen, or Ogrines, or what have you).

Starhammer

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 11:21:51 PM »
I kinda like the way DCUO uses the concept. If you're doing the F2p thing, they require some Sony-points, or whatever their cash conversion is called (I forget, and am feeling too lazy to look it up), much like CO & STO. If you're a subscriber however, you just open them for free. Either way, they have consumables or advanced costume pieces and such in them.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »
I think most of us will agree that there are good and bad ways to handle lockboxes.
If the developers and/or publishers are treating lockboxes as simply a way to "get lotta moniez, quick", they are doing it wrong.
The lockboxes - if done at all - have to be worthwhile to the players and even if the player won't find an infinity +1 sword in one, he should at least go away from opening it with the feeling that the real money currency the attempt has cost was worth the gains. Disappointing contents are a very quick way to disincentivise the players from bothering with the boxes ever again.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 02:45:05 AM »
The superpacks were kind of annoying but the math behind them was pretty lenient. If you spent 5 dollars on them you were almost guaranteed to get everything good the pack had, at least the costume pieces and pets. And all the 'other' stuff was still pretty good. None of them opened up to a large disappointment. And the packs took into consideration what you already had and rolled accordingly.

Cryptic's Lockboxes though, are almost always garbage inside. And when it's not it's probably gonna be 30 instances of stuff you don't want. At least Star Wars Online lets you sell almost everything on the player market, even though SWTOR is guilty of this too.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 04:32:24 AM »
Yeah, lockboxes as a reward or drop.  Great something sitting in inventory taking up space that requires a key to open.  And inside are butterfly wings.  No.
Give me points that I can spend on junk my character needs like rocket boots.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 04:54:05 AM »
Yeah, lockboxes as a reward or drop.  Great something sitting in inventory taking up space that requires a key to open.  And inside are butterfly wings.  No.
Give me points that I can spend on junk my character needs like rocket boots.
Hell yes!

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 06:28:08 AM »
If I was a dev at one of these games, then on April Fools Day I would put a bunch of stacking lockboxes into the game lol. Like those Russian dolls. Nothing but lockboxes filled with lockboxes lol.

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 04:27:58 AM »
If I was a dev at one of these games, then on April Fools Day I would put a bunch of stacking lockboxes into the game lol. Like those Russian dolls. Nothing but lockboxes filled with lockboxes lol.
Genius!

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 06:29:47 AM »

You do realize what you've done, don't you?  :o

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 07:52:40 AM »
So... What you guys are saying... Is that Revival should have nothing BUT lockboxes?
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 10:45:11 AM »
So... What you guys are saying... Is that Revival should have nothing BUT lockboxes?

Lockboxes filled with Malta Sappers. :D

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 12:48:01 AM »
Lockboxes filled with Malta Sappers. :D
Kind of like the winter event presents.

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 01:09:16 AM »
"You pick up a lockbox"

"You bust the lock because you're a freaking superpowered being"

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 02:52:42 AM »
"You pick up a lockbox"

"You bust the lock because you're a freaking superpowered being"

"And everything inside was quite fragile and destroyed."

Sorry, couldn't resist. I hate getting lockboxes in games too.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.