Author Topic: Project Bane  (Read 55064 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Project Bane
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 02:15:45 AM »
looks like you are coming right along there.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »
looks like you are coming right along there.

Thanks for the encouragement, I have a lot to do still but indeed it is coming along.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »
Plan Z will continue developments after december 11th

essays and such for the masters program still need to be finished, and  still need at least 5 replies to my survey for data collection.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »
I am almost done with my masters program for this semester, I'll have till mid January to work on this, also, I'm willing to help any of the phoenix projects with assets if needed.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 02:26:58 PM »
Update;

Today I finally threw out my fears of failure and fears of the scripts not working due to some inability of python or something (believe you me, there have been a few instances already in the past).

Anyways, I ran the server and client today to check and make sure messages were being sent, received and processed correctly.

the result was a success. *wipes sweat from worry off head*

naturally there were a few errors but nothing serious just misplaced ' or " or the wrong type of brackets. I'll skim through and fix them.

I also worked out a dynamic player allocation/recognition system, it runs during log-in and assigns each player a session number which is then referenced to a file by the same name in the server directory, the file contains the account name, IP, and port. there is also a reset for these so when a player is logged off the same port can be reused for another player's login.

COMPLICATED STUFF - not really just a whole bunch of dynamic entries and whatdos but it could be confusing to a reader.

the game still has no characters though, and the scenery is limited, I'll work on fixing such things over the holiday break. progress has slowed down due to school and now work interfering with my active time.

Edit; I also started a side project game to test my game texturing skills, so far it's looking really good. though texture sizes will have to be increased to compensate for more randomness of details such as gum splats on the sidewalks (this is because blender's GE doesn't seem to like multiple UVs for the same texture area to be used for different images. I will test this again today to see if I can better define the multiple UVs but if not, the back-up plan just requires more memory usage..

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 09:21:31 PM »
You go there Joshex.   ;D

Sounds like you're making some nice progress.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
Its great that your making so much progress, good luck with the rest of the project :).
I do have a bit of a question though, more because of the other successor projects than for any other reason; How difficult is it to create an mmo with a one man team? I know that there have been some great games out there that have come from one man development teams like Cave story and Dust and Elysian Tale, but an mmo takes a massive amount of effort to manage, let alone create. Just wondering, anyway great work and good luck.

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 02:32:30 AM »
Several metric tons of effort.

When I (in my spare time) built a reverse engineered server for UO, built/populated my game maps, etc
it took me nearly a full year. 

And that was just for the game engine, I didn't have to worry about creating graphics and animations.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 07:05:16 PM »
Its great that your making so much progress, good luck with the rest of the project :).
I do have a bit of a question though, more because of the other successor projects than for any other reason; How difficult is it to create an mmo with a one man team? I know that there have been some great games out there that have come from one man development teams like Cave story and Dust and Elysian Tale, but an mmo takes a massive amount of effort to manage, let alone create. Just wondering, anyway great work and good luck.

heh yeah, Kennon pretty much got it right, it takes a lot of effort, the best I can do is to keep pecking away at it, if some day I can take a serious bite versus a peck, I have avoid shock, calm down and let myself know I'm still along way from done and should keep at it.

If, by chance you have already dealt with a specific instance and are confident in it, production can get rather fast, if however you have never done it before it can take months or at least a full day's work to make a little progress, luckily I think I got the serious "months" out of the way, still 30 days is one month so 30 smaller features could take a month.

What I can tell you, is it's valuable to have generalized side projects as the assets you create for them can often be reused. speaking of which I have a good start at a male character model base thanks to a previous project, still needs feet and hands and a head but other than that, it looks pretty super that's for sure. no picture yet, not at least till it's skinned and such.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »
Finally I semi-finished one of the base models, I still need to rig it which will be a challenge, its a high resolution model, I'm hesitant to show it as it needs some proportion fixes. At least till I fix the proportions and rig it, and put a speedo or something on it. it just looks odd, like an action man figure painted completely flesh tone but without even a trademark insignia, just a bulge.

edit;

proportion problems 99% fixed, rigging commences!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:22:17 PM by Joshex »

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 09:28:38 PM »
GO Joshex! GO Joshex!

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 12:02:29 AM »
GO Joshex! GO Joshex!

Thanks for the cheering Healix, been trying to think how to reply all day.

I suppose an Update will do, I've rigged the head except the mouth (I'm contemplating a spawn point in there). I will make spawn points for eyebrows and for eyelashes, I stole the eyeballs from the Zone-tan model, but will eventually have eyeballs spawned from a spawn point as well, I'm running at 2672 polygons for the high resolution model with no clothes or hair.

Spawn points will be used to spawn in things that can't easily be done using shape-keys or have far too much variation to expect one model to suffice.

The model has Individual fingers and toes, however only the fingers will be animated (it was to save polygons and processing power), as of now there are no knuckles on the fingers, if after all is said and done and the budget still has room I'll add them in.

To set the stage; This model came from a previous project I abandoned due to inability to get a license from Konami, the body was originally based off the body of Christopher Belmont from the Gameboy box art of Castlevania 2: belmont's revenge. Many changes have been made since then. Been watching a lot of Ultimate Muscle lately to try and get some of the muscle definitions right.

please let me know what you think of it so far, the final rigging will include abilities to morph into any physic from skinny to muscly to fat in various body areas, after this is a sleek version of the same model, then female fit and sleek versions.

Edit;

Made teeth and tongue, added knuckles, rigged most of face except mouth, will make spawn points in mouth for teeth and tongue. will separate top teeth from bottom, then rig mouth.

After this my vacation time will be over until I get my next essay done (should be done in a week).

Also did a flight power test today. managed to get a toggle flight on a moveable cube which is a placeholder for the character.

the model stands at 2980 polygons without clothes, 10k with clothes is the max point I'm shooting for with max resolution.

the resolution models, later I will adapt the game models for different computer strengths, they will be as follows;

Character Resolution (poly count) goals:
Max Res: 10k+
High Res: 4k - 6k
Mid Res: 2k -3k
Low Res: 1k - 1.5k (blocky stage 2 -ish, for thoseof you who know what 'blocky' stage 2 looks like)
Least Res: 500 - 750 (blocky-ish) because some players will be on extremely low end computers.

well, the face is rigged except for the tongue and can change size and such to make different face from it, it animates nicely.

The Upper teeth and lower teeth (set 1) are made, tongue 1 is made, eyes (set 1) is made. next will be working my way down the neck, still need to make Hair 1 and a default underwear texture skin but other than that it looks good, at least to me it does (let me know if there's anything you'd prefer.

Edit: tongue rigged, I thought it could be useful for emotes or such.

Almost forgot to rig the eyes lol, that's easy though will find time today, I at least want to get this part done. There are several more rigging challenges, such as the abs and arms the added muscle geometry will make for some pretty (and time consuming) weight painting.

I Also can't forget they need to be rigged to expand too. then texturing begins, I may need to make a second overlay model for secondary texture colors on the various parts.

Edit2: eyes1 is rigged, all bones are named.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:06:16 PM by Joshex »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 08:17:54 PM »
not feeling well, haven't even played games today. gosh that's bad. I have some sort of stomach thing, I don't feel hungry and when I do just a tiny little food can make me feel full. if it's not better tomorrow I'll go to the doctor.

anyways, I opened up the game design doc for some figuring today, wrote out the XP scales, Item drop percents (based on rarity) and game currency scales, so now all that is math ready to be input to the game once it's at that stage. I also worked out a profit making basis that's not annoying for players who don't want to spend and wrote out some Power Set descriptions for melee units.

don't know I just feel dull and weak. probably just a stomach bug or a basic cold, but not eating and feeling like I have to make several runs to the toilet when I do is not good.

Edit;

Also if you find I am redoing something I've already done then it's because I came up with a better idea. for example I'm redoing the battle statistics, the economy, profit ideas and other things, simply because I came up with better systems that will be more agreeable and fair.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:20:41 PM by Joshex »

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2015, 01:51:16 AM »
Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit under the weather, I wish you well and hope you're feeling better very fast! That is just fantastic news on your stellar progress! I'm constantly amazed to read your updates and see the amount of production you've achieved already! I wish you the best and may all your work go smoothly and exactly the way you want it to proceed! Best of luck to you, Joshex! You certainly know how to rock!

Quite Sincerely, Alpha.
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 12:22:22 PM »
Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit under the weather, I wish you well and hope you're feeling better very fast! That is just fantastic news on your stellar progress! I'm constantly amazed to read your updates and see the amount of production you've achieved already! I wish you the best and may all your work go smoothly and exactly the way you want it to proceed! Best of luck to you, Joshex! You certainly know how to rock!

Quite Sincerely, Alpha.

Thanks!, I am eating again (albeit one or 2 meals), but Its still not digesting properly, so i have limited energy, I went to a doctor they said it should right itself with-in a week. almost done with my essay, just need to summarize my research and add a bibliography.

classes start again on Monday and I work a bit, but I will make time to work on this (it's a hobby and fun to me).

yesterday I added in rigging to widen or shorten the shoulders. I Might be able to get this presentable/beta testable by summer what with school and work.

edit, aaaand my neck lost several inches of thickness.. I look like a cartoon castaway that's been stuck on a deserted island. I'm gonna have to go back to the doctor, stomach still hurts and such too.. it's only been a few days, to loose that much thickness of my neck means something is seriously wrong.. fix it self in a week they said..

i find myself with no energy and no mental drive to do anything. I wish i could do everything myself lol but even if I feed myself my body isn't doing it's part.. my diet is good, lots of vitamins, ETC... stomach no worky..

edit2, I must be getting better, today i crossed the line of  "no energy or drive and are bored | LINE | no energy not bored want to work on projects"  and was very thankful for it, sadly I had to work lol, but now I look forwards to free time tomorrow.

bad update, I've got a fever, might be a cold I hurt all over and taste blood when I breathe, didn't have this problem till a one of the tenants decided to smoke all night and flooded the whole place with it. setbacks, setbacks. I'll get better eventually, just a string of bad luck lol..

24 hour cold, I don't think I'm sick any more, I feel much better, body recovering from any physical damages the sickness did. will work on the project today.

Joshex -
Known power sets; Willpower,
Statistics; toxic defense low, toxic resistance moderate, regeneration High
lol sorry just had to do that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:26:34 AM by Joshex »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 04:05:19 PM »
I knew that hefty text system would come back to bite me eventually, there's no problem with it, it's just too big to figure out whats what after not looking at it for months. I will be attempting to make a simplified version that functions off less objects and only 1 to 2 scripts it needs to work for the chat system.

the updater could use some revisions, the plan with it previously was to merely recieve data from the updated files on server side via message and write them into files on player side, that will work for some files but not all, it gives errors when attempting to do so with binary files, I'm attempting to find a fix, seems I might have to consider using more than just python.

I mean, it's /SUPPOSED/ to work in python with
Code: [Select]
open('filename', 'wb') where wb means 'write binary', but the only way to tell it what to write is to do Open('filename', 'wb').write() and .write() only accepts a string or buffer, not a file's contents or a list (which many of the binary files are seen as).

I've also looked into ftplib in python, it should work but I'd have to enable some sort of FTPserver on the updater to send the files to. might end up having to do that.

EDIT: will not need an FTP server, I got it to save the file using the previous method. updater just needs files to update now.

Edit2: the male model needs to have the eyes smoothed a bit, this will add a few polygons, I only need to add 2 to 3 rings. at worst it will double the eyes poly count but I don't think it will be that bad.

New question; What do you think When I say "Basic Superpowers"?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:18:54 PM by Joshex »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2015, 08:03:33 PM »
Well, in a strange turn of events I found time to finish rigging the muscle man model! (except the hands for now) he is very flexible! which is good considering what superheroes go through.

Now for the fun part, Animations!

Edit: 2/9/2015

finding time to work on it is hard what with work, school and daily life as previously stated. But I made some progress, an overhead double arm smash animation has been made, it was actually pretty easy and took about 10 minutes with distractions.

after the foreseeable animations are done more customization options will be made. Customization will be a key of this project as will animations.

pictures/ videos of the character-base model in action will be available on request.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:49:39 PM by Joshex »

ValianceOnline

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 05:31:48 PM »
pictures/ videos of the character-base model in action will be available on request.

/request

;)

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 09:32:23 AM »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 01:12:31 PM »
Seconded! Request please.
/request

;)

OK then! sorry for the late reply, been busy lately with my courses. a couple videos coming up later today, got class in 2 hours, and an hour walk both ways. videos should be up in 6 hours or so!