Author Topic: Project Bane  (Read 55073 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Project Bane
« on: May 26, 2014, 04:53:12 AM »
I have been away for a while, during that time I started my own MMO project. It's been rough and I really have no graphics to show yet as I decided to start with programming and placeholders.

I prefer to do things by hand, so you wont see any models from MakeHuman or Daz.

The project does have an official name, however right now until it's released the code name is Project Bane.

It is intended to be a superhero MMO, however it has no intended basis on CoX, anything similar is purely coincidental or has forced-my-hand due to limitations of the english language and/or 3D space.

It's a one person project, so far in the last 2-3 months since it began I have a file system and updater, a server, a map loader, and now I'm working on the login/account client. - next is the character designer and then, gameplay (I really want to get to the character designer and gameplay soon I'm super hyped to begin these 2 aspects, especially seeing as they'll be easier that the stuff I've been doing)

I've had to program alot on my own, even my own text rasterizer for those who knows what that means, well right now it's a 252 line script and will get longer. Text rasterization isn't the only core aspect I've had to program, even had to program my own mouse and kick the system mouse to the curb.

This means I have total control over every aspect of the game.  Though, techncally it's hard to call it a "game" at the moment as there is little interaction besides a few clickable buttons and a text box.

I also managed to procure a host, as he is an old friend.

Update: bug circumvented. text writer is finished, text reader is next.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:25:23 AM by Joshex »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
Re: Project Bane
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 01:46:25 PM »
Good luck with your endeavor!  :D
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 01:15:55 AM »
Good luck with your endeavor!  :D

Thanks. will keep working at it. sorry for the belated reply havn't been able to get on titan for long these past few days, seems my ISP is perma banned, TonyV is taking a look at it.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »
Same here!  When it comes time for pre-Alpha/Alpha testing you sure wont have to look far! :D  Good luck with your project.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 02:16:06 AM »
good stuff. I aint been around as much as I like either. Two kids (stepkids but mine all the same) and change of career to follow a dream tends to do that it seems. But stopping by to say good stuff, good luck and "may the odds forever be in your favor. "

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 02:07:24 AM »
Indeed, I know alot of people will want to try it when it's in Beta right now It's in κ (kappa stage) I skipped λ (lambda) but will get to it very soon.

Update, I had some problems with the text reader but managed to work around the bugs. I have not tested my text reader in game yet because I got it to work in a new file for ease. heres to hoping.

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 02:22:29 AM »
Wow,Joshex! That's Incredible! Congrats and best of luck, skill and resources to your efforts! Go,man,GO! I wish you much success and will keep you in my thoughts as one who deserves power flowed in his direction! Best Wishes!
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 02:48:45 PM »
love your signiture Alpha Series, Ace Rimmer has always been one of my favorite dwarfies.

Update; I had some problems with the text renderer, namely the reader, I re-did it 3 separate ways then finally the last one (albeit the most complicated one) worked, the login account name field now works, next is the password field (really simple) and registration fields, they are all simple I bassically just have to copy a bunch of objects and relink the logic.

alas the hard work is done, meanwhile i have studied servers more in depth and am ready fo the firt log-in attempt, after that is the character designer.

quickly before VPN runs out, I learned somehting as a programmer, 1 is a singularity, 2 is a bool, 3 of anything that works is dynamic. oh well thats just something I work by each part of the costume designer will have 3 selections.

DragonCommando

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 05:59:08 PM »
Good luck with the project!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »
Update on the game: progress on the login server has been made, not tested but according to the way python works it should run (will test it later today after I make a DIR for the main game server and a game server to communicate with and update the account client to send a login request).

I have decided on psuedo-kerberos security for the server, wont get much into it but I know what I'm doing. Packets so far are not encrypted but sensitive info will be (need to research python network supported encryption keys).

Partially related:
The game and my motivation to complete it (plus a few features I havn't made public yet) have gotten me admitted to a reputable university for a 1 year masters study (even without showing anything, and no prior bachelor).

Though the game itself will be relatively free-to-run due to my friend with his own server (and the fact I can actually run the server on my own computer too as I made it 'light wieght' [a benefit of not using Game Engines built for specific game types]) there is the fact that college costs dough. I'm not necessarily asking titan to donate (I hate asking friends) so if people here could help spread the indiegogo page to other online social networking sources I'd be greatful.

Remember the donations are for my masters degree, not the game, I have opted to "rent my self out" in 3D perks to donors (projects completed after my master's is finished and hopefully an alpha release or 2nd issue).

The game and my master's are combined now, so they will take priority over 3D perks but donors have been notified about that in story and perk texts.

Anyways I will be publishing the indiegogo page later today/tomorrow, heres a quick look at it: http://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/594e56b0

suggestions are welcomed.

In addition my girlfriend has also been accepted for study at the same college, and her family can't cover her tuition or dorm fees so, yeah, I'm going to try and help cover it with the indiegogo page.

As for my work in China, I went through several jobs getting bumped to part time and then not getting called, I barely have any savings. My billionaire friend has decided not to continue the business for which he'd need my help so I haven't been in contact with him for a while. So I'm not able to afford the masters course as of now. will edit again or post later with the published indiegogo page, if you don't see it I haven't published it, so feel free to comment on changes.

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 12:09:25 PM »
love your signiture Alpha Series, Ace Rimmer has always been one of my favorite dwarfies.

Update; I had some problems with the text renderer, namely the reader, I re-did it 3 separate ways then finally the last one (albeit the most complicated one) worked, the login account name field now works, next is the password field (really simple) and registration fields, they are all simple I bassically just have to copy a bunch of objects and relink the logic.

alas the hard work is done, meanwhile i have studied servers more in depth and am ready fo the firt log-in attempt, after that is the character designer.

quickly before VPN runs out, I learned somehting as a programmer, 1 is a singularity, 2 is a bool, 3 of anything that works is dynamic. oh well thats just something I work by each part of the costume designer will have 3 selections.

eh ...I think you mean singleton? Not many black holes in programming. Not that I've seen at least  ;D
I wish you luck on your one-man MMO quest.
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
eh ...I think you mean singleton? Not many black holes in programming. Not that I've seen at least  ;D
I wish you luck on your one-man MMO quest.

singularity means more than just the usage concerning black holes, my intended usage is to outline the often undynamic and possibly non-applicable-to-other-numbers-of-similar-operations nature of a program that works dealing with one entry, trigger or output.

In definition; singularity: something that only works in one instance or of random origin or only happens one time, often unable to be reproduced easily or to the same effect especially with the number of recorded occurences for it to be defined by the scientific method as a "law" (3).

Spoiler for Hidden:
sadly most of the scientists now days are "mad scientists" meaning they don't follow the 3 consecutive times rule (Replicability), a recent "possible" (used loosely) pancake-up in science was the discovery of the higgs boson particle; scientists were quick to rally around what could be a singular occurrence (a singularity) caused by degraded old equipment/ faulty new equipment outputing the wrong information or even faulty/hopeful math or code that produced a singular bug in the reading software in the specific situation presented.

Even pro-coders make pancake-ups and don't realize it till later sometimes, you can do pages and pages of code have one incorrect argument that is technically acceptable, therefore it yields no errors and the program runs as desired but that one argument could come back and do something unexpected when a freak change you didn't forsee happens. I have run into that already with the MMO several times, we call these bugs, they look OK until they do something wrong, then it's a pain to find them and thats dependant on if you want to notice them or want to use thier output.

For example the higgs boson was found by reading sub atomic particle charges over the course of the step by step explosion of colliding particles, there are innumerable possibilities that could prove that the particles behavior and mass are attributed to "forced conditions" and that it really was a different type of particle that was being forced to behave as scientists wanted and was registering a strange mass due to energy bleed from outside sources, another rule of the scientific method other than Replicability is Falsifiability(can someone propose why it might not be true logically and prove it 3 times?) and Ruling out rival hypotheses (if you look too hard for something then thats all you'll see, AKA observational bias.). The higgs boson though confirmed by the scientific community has not passed any of these 3 tests.

Finally to quote myself when asked what is "faulty/hopeful math", many scientists are mathematicians first rather than logical scientists first, they use math to come up with ideas and possibilities and then use math to prove it. Did you know, it's possible to write an equasion to prove that a chicken sandwich in a KFC in kentucky is the center of the universe and if consumed will cause our universe to collapse, wobble or become unstable. the math would be sound, no flaws and even work according to the proposed (coincidence) and yet be false.

Update: computer crashed! bad_pool_caller must be that driver the mechanic installed, it'll be a pain to replace it, it's the peer to peer driver.

oh well computer runs I just probably shouldn't use it for long periods of time as I have been.

I lost the work I did on the server before I could test it because I forgot to save, it's simple to remake.

Edit: remade!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:45:24 AM by Joshex »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 02:28:09 PM »
Update:

Lots of work done, however it's all over the place. I fixed a few bugs in the login window (still a few more but nothing serious.) the text now scrolls when the cursor hits the ends of the text box, however I'm going to have to parent the cursor to the active typing position or it doesn't follow this motion (which looks ... odd.. ) any bugs right now are topical bugs, not functionality bugs.

Server, Login server - check.
Client login Script - check.
Game Server handling of account stuff - partial (this is why I've been all over the place), I really need to define what terms will be sent to the gameserver and how as I make the character designer/ selector and gameplay. right now I have IP logging working so the server can route game information to whom ever needs it.

I should be able to have the Iota (sounds like "I ought to") test in august, then follow that with the Zeta test - key members who I can trust will be given a client to run and play the game for it's first time.

after that any bugs or suggestions will be delt with and the Beta will be opened. It's not far off in programming, artistically speaking there is still alot of work to do (which i plan to do during the course of my master's degree.

Side note, my current text writer is perfect for heavily controlled text fields such as account name and password fields, but it would be a massive mega pain in the donkey to program it for things like character background text, chat text or mail, so I have used some new found python skills to develop a MUCH more DYNAMIC text writer. The reader is still similar to the current set-up.

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 12:19:36 AM »
Wow..sounds like great progress...Keep up the great work! I read your updates, best of luck! And thanx for the note about Ace Rimmer! You're the only one to say anything about it!

"Of course there's a silicon heaven. Where would all the toasters and calculators go?"
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 10:13:42 AM »
Wow..sounds like great progress...Keep up the great work! I read your updates, best of luck! And thanx for the note about Ace Rimmer! You're the only one to say anything about it!

"Of course there's a silicon heaven. Where would all the toasters and calculators go?"

Lyster " how come you didn't over load like he did?"
Kryten " because I knew something he didn't, I was Lying! No silicon heaven?! rediculous! where would all the calculators go?"

Update;

Certain net problems have limited my abilities to test the server files, however I have checked and rechecked the code cleaning up any possible unclear sections and adding in any necessary checks and balances, I'm 99.9999% sure they'll work or be easy to fix if they don't. I have currently bypassed the server login and finally left the login screen!

everything is set-up to be sent as a network message however it's just currently saved to an in-game dictionary until my main computer's net is fixed.

the server and character selection screen was "buttoned" saving all art for later there are placeholders for any such content. The character designer has been started! at the current point I am merely going through adding buttons, drop down menus, spawn points and slider bars and seting up information relays which will eventually output to the server.

After I'm finished (or possibly during the character designer) I will begin finalizing gameplay.

things just got alot easier and funner, the only problem is restraining myself from doing artistic aspects rather than finishing the various menus and windows. That and adjusting to the lack of programming complexity at this point.

I might be able to have a zeta test here in august providing there aren't many IRL interruptions. The beta test probably wont be till later in the fall.

Naturally the game is still not worthy to be shown, a bunch of buttons and windows panels with a little text is not the first graphics I'd like to present people with.

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 12:12:10 AM »
Thanx for the update, Joshex! Also, thanx for correcting that line of dialogue... I was going from memory and thought I had it right. I'm glad you knew that episode! some of the seriously most funny stuff I've ever seen was on that show! Anyway, thanx again for all your hard work! Best of luck to you!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 03:58:24 AM »
So,

I shouldn't make mentions like this:

I might be able to have a zeta test here in august providing there aren't many IRL interruptions.

I had a major IRL interruption since I said that, I have had close to no time to work on the project, my GF lost our wallet at the small post office near here (think mom and pop shop) anyways someone stole it.

So we have been cancelling our bank cards and getting them and I.D. cards re-issued, it's been a royal mess, coupled with helping my girlfriend and myself apply for UK student visas and teaching english classes early in the morning and late at night, and cooking for us, it's been rough.

patience and over all day dreaming have been my best allies these few weeks during many long waits away from home without a computer.

I still have yet to get my replacement bank card or I.D. card as I will have to go back to the USA to get them during which time I'll be strapped for time trying to go for my visa appointment in New York.

looks like the august Zeta test won't be possible. and trust me that bums me out more than most people. It even adds to my developer's block disorder, I never knew there was such a thing but it has to do with how the subconscious interprets us telling it that we can't do something right now even when we want to and have a strong drive to do it. the outcome is the subconscious starts to interpret this delay with intensity or difficulty of the project, then we become hessitant or feel hopeless about the project, the cure is Nike's old slogan "just do it", problem is I may not have time for around 4 - 6 days.

sigh, oh well I've had time to finish thinking out some of the specifics for the stories of the main NPC's even some which will not debut in the first release. Just need to write them down.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 12:22:58 PM »
Hi titan, well after a really chaotic 2 months of getting everything in order for my masters programme, I am finally settled to a schedule and have a strong case of developer fever that I can't shake.

I am going to finally work on graphical aspects so there will be something to show soon at least of a city environment (zeta).

zeta means it's just going to be a basic environment, the layout may change a lot later.

Update: A new steel texture has been made!, slow progress is not no progress.

and one steel girder, a building block of a city. Construction begins.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:00:51 PM by Joshex »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
Finally found some time amidst school work to continue building the game, I made a streets test map, no buildings yet and the streets need textures plus this isn't a final layout it's just to help me build the layout of the first city zone map. and yes I'm aware of the holes, my sidewalks still need end blocks for the street side.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 04:46:22 PM »
AI work has been done and tested, I now know quite a lot about methods used to create simple video game character AI's! in other news I have picked up work on the server again finally getting back in my developer's groove after a few months of getting settled into programs.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:13:53 PM by Joshex »