Author Topic: What made City of Heroes unique for you?  (Read 22006 times)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
What made City of Heroes unique for you?
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:50:12 PM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 01:22:17 AM by Blondeshell »

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
Re: What made City of Heroes unique for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 11:58:55 PM »
The gritty art style, the slightly retro sound effects, and the near unparallelled potential for creativity. Although I still wish we could have gotten pet customization for masterminds.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:20:53 AM »
The PUGS or pick up groups were usually great.  What a user community.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:12:02 AM »
I loved the setting and the story :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:30 PM »
It had an atmosphere that I haven't really found anywhere else. A lighter mood that could get serious at times, but it never took itself too seriously. And that's a big thing with me - I've found that a lot of MMOs, like movies, tv shows and books nowadays, get caught up in their own importance, and when that happens it loses something for me.

As you said, the fact that it was solo friendly was a huge thing for me. I said this in another thread, but I'll reiterate here: I never HAD to team. It left the choice up to me, which made me more inclined to WANT to team.

The music was lovely; simple, short, never overbearing.

It had sound effects. I loved to just stop and listen to the city sounds. They really did well with that.

The devs were active, and they respected a community that respected them. Also a wonderful community.

I really FELT like a hero when I was playing. It was awesome.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »
Logging into any of my characters, and no matter what, each one was different than the other, if only one powerset choice was different.

Going Dynasty Warriors on a room full of people.

Warshades, Literally never played a class even remotely like it in any game ever, it was so fun.

Mastermind, Now -that- is a pet class.

The non-cartoony artstyle (I can't stand champion's design, it's too goddamn goofy.)

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 05:55:08 PM »
You could not only make global chat channels, but you could administer them, including making them private, blocking people from them, silencing people who made trouble, sharing administration workload with others, and so on. Your community could be as open and free-wheeling or as tight and controlled as you wanted or needed it to be.

Whereas most of today's MMO's have railroad-straight leveling arcs to the max level; you could play the game through many times on different themed sets of contacts and story arcs.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 07:38:07 PM »
Thank you so much, I'd been looking for this list for a while :)

Having access to so many slots on one server, the options of travel powers combine with pools and temps meant I could roll a second toon with the same primary and secondary but still have a completely different experience.  Then when multiple build became available it was like I doubled my number of characters!
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 08:37:41 PM »
The character creator was my favorite thing from CoH/V. I liked thinking up or being inspired by a character concept and then being able to create and play that character concept.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 08:55:15 PM »
86b - Had Developers on hand 24/7 who you could request to log in and fix a bugged mission/TF/SF/Trial so you and/or your team wouldn't lose hours and hours of progress.

Maybe it's not worded perfectly but usually their response time was astounding.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 09:42:31 PM »
1.) Lore/Theme of the game (everything from the Freedom Phalanx to the back story of Paragon City and all it's zones - loved it all)
2.) Character creator and power sets (never would you find any two heroes/villains whom were completely similar)
3.) System of game play (you could solo if you wanted, or find a team just as easily)
4.) The community of players (Virtue 4lyfe)

*tears*  :'(
Viva la Virtue!

zuaros

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 10:23:11 PM »
I loved the ragdoll knockback. You guys fiddle with hold duration if you like, but I'll punch that Freak across the room when he gets near me, or threatens my friend. Twas very action-movie.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 10:59:04 PM »
The things I liked the most about City of Heroes.

1. I could play MY way, I could solo if I wanted to, I could team if I wanted to. I could drop the difficulty down if I wanted to or turn it up if I wanted to. I could street sweep if I wanted to or do missions if I wanted to.

2.I felt like my characters where really mine. I made them from scratch, I choose every detail about them. Their name, their clothes, their origin, their powers. How their powers looked and some times how they animated.

3.I felt like I was really a super heroe, walking into a room of +4x8 mobs and being able to beat them solo. Who wouldn't feel powerful after that?

4. No Holy Trinity, I liked that I didn't have to worry about wither or not my character. Fit into the Tank/DPS/Healer mold. My character (as with the case of my bots/dark MM) could be alittle of both. He could tank (I took taunt in a power pool), DPS (with his bots), heal and do alittle crowd control too.

5. They had more than one pet class and they kinda scaled if you think about it. Doms and controllers for the people that wanted pets but didn't want to micro manage them. THEN MASTER MINDS (my favorite), you could micro manage as much or as little as you wanted with them. Master minds in my oppion should be the stander for all pet classes for all MMOs ever. You had as much control over your pets as you wanted.

6. The gear grind (or in this case IO grind), you didn't need them. You could play your character (before incarnates, which you didn't even have to become an incarnate) with out IO sets forever. So you could choose how much or how little you would grind for IOs.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 05:22:37 PM »
The whole design of it was great - I've been in the game since 2004 and the few months were good but after a while it felt like a real city. I was able to stop looking at the maps all the time to figure out where to go, or the shortcuts to get around.

Plus as someone said it was all original stuff, so it felt new and fresh.

In fact COH was the first and only MMO I played until it closed - then I tried Champions and DCU.

Champions is more like COH than DCU, since it was the same developers, and I think DCU is a little more polished, but neither can hold Stateman's jockstrap when it comes to core gameplay or team dynamics of COH.

I could log into COH and stay on for 5 or 6 hours, or more. with the other games I get bored after 1 or 2 hours and log off.

Plus after I got a few good level 50's, it was fun to help low people with stuff or just chat with them or I used to give them influence or things to sell just to help them out.

I was actually sad and cried a little when I read they were shutting down, I just couldn't believe it - after 8 years COH would be no more.

At least with the ICON shell, I can do into the zones and at least see them again and appreciate all the work that went into the design.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 07:56:07 PM »
Another thing to add.

The developers knew exactly how to develop the game for the fans, rather than for themselves.

It's really hard for me to articulate this effectively, but anyone who was there for the first year, then stuck with it for the longest times (Excluding some breaks) knows -exactly- what i'm talking about

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »
Another thing to add.

The developers knew exactly how to develop the game for the fans, rather than for themselves.

It's really hard for me to articulate this effectively, but anyone who was there for the first year, then stuck with it for the longest times (Excluding some breaks) knows -exactly- what i'm talking about

The only 'sort of' complaint I have is towards the end I feel they made it too easy and friendly to get around the zones or get things done. I loved when Founders could only be accessed from Talos or if you wanted to go from the Yellow Line to the Green Line you actually had to go to the other station.

Or making just about every trainer also a tailor. Part of the lowbie fun was getting that extra costume slot at 10 and trying to get to Icon in Steel, or sometimes easier - from Kings Row to the Icon in IP.

Still - I would have it all back in a heartbeat if I could.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 06:43:31 AM »
I really liked the pants are optional policy.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 07:01:05 AM »
I really liked the pants are optional policy.
I take it you didn't play on triumph where pants were never an option :P

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 05:12:37 PM »
When I logged into the game for the first time, I heard the Atlas park theme music and saw people flying, jumping and teleporting.

I saw every type of creature from robot to leather clad alien dominatrix. This is where diversity lived. It is where you were a hero most noble or a villain most base.

The game fed the soul.

I had a rule in the game - never back down, ever. I gave up a grand total of once in 8 years on a mission. It was in the reactor room of the Respec Trials when they first came out and were horribly bugged. We faced Freakshow tanks that were +6 to us. We could not even get to the reactor and one by one the rest left until only 3 of us were trying. We got to the doorway to the reactor and a Freaktank wiped all of us out almost instantly, we quit as well.

I find nothing that comes close in any other game to feeling like a hero.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 01:18:34 AM »
I remember the excitement of getting my first hero to level 6 so I could hover and just was in love with the game at that point slowly floating around or up to rooftops.

I feel lucky being there from almost the beginning, being able to see all the changes and improvements over the 8 years.

When I started there was no Hollows or even a PI yet. No tailor to change anything once you created a hero.
I had just gotten a new PC that year and bought Freedom Force. Then I saw adverts for COH in comic books and game magazines but didn't think anything of it - I never touched an MMO and never would.

Then one day in CompUSA I saw this and thought I would give it a try after all. And 8 years later I was still there.