Author Topic: Call to Action: Archive EVERYTHING!  (Read 18554 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Call to Action: Archive EVERYTHING!
« on: November 26, 2012, 03:22:16 AM »
Hey all, so there's pretty much zero chance that the game will be running on December 1.  That's the bad news.  I'm still not convinced that this is a permanent situation, but the thing is, it's going to at the very least be a while.

I know that a whole bunch of people are working to archive as much as they can about their personal characters.  Hopefully you've made a lot of progress with the Sentinel+ utility, screenshots, demorecords, etc.  But we also need a lot of game information archived as well.  One of our community, Chaos Ex Machina, is working on just such an effort.

What I'd like you all to do is to go read up Chaos's original post on the official forums, find something you can help out with, and jump in.  Chaos says that we have a particularly high priority need for completing the mission list, but really, anything in there you see blank could use some lovin.  Any help you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

Here's the original forum post in case the official forums get nuked:

Quote from: Chaos Ex Machina
http://bit.ly/VUiFOn

We can save a large portion of the game, at least video!

The project could make possible scripted web sites to insert a custom-built character in the content and support a video musuem.

The project has made impressive progress however I could use recruits.

Tips require help

Villain content could use a few more

Trials are especially important

The crusader line has a lack of video

Repeatables are not covered a lot

Standard original content has close to 1/3 completion

I could even use volunteers to speed jobs I could not complete quickly

Quinch

Re: Call to Action: Archive EVERYTHING!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:47:33 AM »
I'm in the process of downloading the open forums - I believe they are already archived online, but it can't hurt to have backups.

I've also tweaked the demo autorenamer a bit so it supports Live, Beta and Test servers as well - it's at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33551029/CoH_Demo_Timestamper.exe . It's still unpolished visually, but it works.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 06:35:08 AM »
Hey gang, just a heads up to anybody archiving mission contact dialogue:

If a contact's mission has several parts, the contact will often have multiple things to say at every step if you call them or talk to them again, and not just at the first step.

I keep forgetting about that (I try to screenshot all NPC dialogue in the game that I come across, something I"ve done ever since I started playing years ago).

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 08:00:30 AM »
dumb question but is this stuff cut and pastable?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »

In fact, most of the stuff in the dialogue boxes (not the balloons) is cut and pastable.  That's how I have been archiving mission texts.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:36:36 AM »
Top priority are tips especially TOURIST tips I only got those at level 50 and rogue.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »

Sheesh I am an idiot.

To cut and paste the stuff in the balloons--

Make a tab in your top chat box that ONLY has NPC and Captions in it.
When you are done with the mish, click on that tab.
Cut and paste everything that shows up under that tab.  You'll have all the dialogue balloons that way, and captions if there are any (like "calls on the radio")
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 01:38:26 PM »
Sheesh I am an idiot.

You caught it, and fixed it. An idiot wouldn't have. Thus you are not an idiot.  :)

sorinkon

• Lieutenant
  • CoH WILL RISE AGAIN IN MINECRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • COH Minecraft
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
Hello all.  I would like to thank the dev's and GM's of COH that are passionate about saving the game i have been a COH supporter for 7 years and i would really like to see the game come back up.  if any of you dev's or GM's or anyone helping need help contact me at cohcity1@yahoo.com

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 05:45:28 PM »
I did the Radio missions as audio recordings years ago, and I still have the scripts, as well as the recordings, for the entire Radio arc.

If that's helpful, just tell me who to send them to and how and I'll be happy to do so. -Mindscythe
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 08:24:11 AM »
Despite desperate recruitment only several people have actually used the document or mentioned to me a summary of the records they got.  Are any others recording yet?  This is big.

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:23:41 AM »
I did the Radio missions as audio recordings years ago, and I still have the scripts, as well as the recordings, for the entire Radio arc.

If that's helpful, just tell me who to send them to and how and I'll be happy to do so. -Mindscythe

You are awesome for doing that.

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 08:44:22 PM »
Organizing has to happen not at the moment.  Thank you 'w' for a number of collections added since yesterday!  Speaking of which, collecting the contact information of the participants is important for the actual archiving.  So far there are 7 listed in the document.  Chase, Victrix, me, FLG are accessible here.  Is 'w' here?  Janessa I got.  @dvandom I still have a global but no other info and should ask.  Any others?  Please add a post.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:59:29 PM by Chaos Ex Machina »

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 01:06:40 AM »
Okay, I'm working Tips like a madman, getting screenies and demos of everything I can. I've taken several gigs of demos since the announcement, which I'll be happy to share once things settle down.
What I'm working on currently is getting all the missing tip info for the wiki:
20-29 Rogue Island tips for Villain/Rogues demoed all, screenies for missing Rogue info
20-29 Rogue Morality mission done
30-39 Rogue Island tips for Villain/Rogues about half done
20-29 Hero Morality (probably done--doing this from memory)
30-39 Hero Morality mission done

Next on my agenda is trying to grab as many tourist tips as I can in the 30-39 range, both sides.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 01:28:28 AM »
Hmm...how to word this.... aren't most of these archives within Paragon Wiki? I know some dialogues are missing, but most of the story arcs I take my characters through are complete to the best of my recollection.

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 02:11:18 AM »
We've only just finished capturing the text for all of the Signature Story Arcs on the live client.  Blondeshell has captured most of the text for the new arcs on the beta server, but the text for male characters in the Criminals of War arc hasn't been captured yet.

Full details here.

I'm not entirely certain all of the tip missions were ever captured for all possible alignments.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 02:19:36 AM »
When the servers are shut down is a good time to coordinate this and the Wiki, and find a repository for all those demos.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 02:32:08 AM »
The only contact I have yet to run through is Sgt. Schorr for Rogues (logging in to the game right now to work on that). Then everything will effectively be done for mission content released since Issue 21, aside from the previously-mentioned male runthrough of Mr. G.

It's been a busy six weeks or so:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5283.msg68606.html#msg68606

If I can get this knocked out tonight, that'll give me three evenings to work on my one last major archive project. (Fingers crossed!)

T-minus 77.5 hours and counting...

Shadowhawke

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 02:46:48 AM »
When the servers are shut down is a good time to coordinate this and the Wiki, and find a repository for all those demos.

Where is the thread again on how to do a demo? I was not aware the game had this option, and now that I do, I intend to do a few if possible.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 03:25:35 AM »
The only contact I have yet to run through is Sgt. Schorr for Rogues (logging in to the game right now to work on that). Then everything will effectively be done for mission content released since Issue 21, aside from the previously-mentioned male runthrough of Mr. G.

It's been a busy six weeks or so:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5283.msg68606.html#msg68606

If I can get this knocked out tonight, that'll give me three evenings to work on my one last major archive project. (Fingers crossed!)

T-minus 77.5 hours and counting...
And I'll say this now before I forget:  Thanks for capturing everything you've grabbed in the last few weeks.  I've had a hard time keeping up with work events the last couple of weeks and this week's killing me with an endless barrage of phone calls and emails from recruiters (first world problems, I know).  I'm not sure I'm even going to be able to finish recording all of my remaining characters on O-portal in time.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov