Author Topic: Disney mission FAQ  (Read 20474 times)

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
Disney mission FAQ
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:13:12 AM »
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:44:44 PM by rae »
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: Disney mission FAQ
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »
And the miracle occurs, if the heavens open, the clouds part, rays of mouse-head-shaped light shine down on us and the Voice from on high sounds a lot like Uncle Walt...people, Disney has the money to put the studio and our devs back together again!  And give them health insurance!  And right now, I do not believe that they actually have a game studio...which means our devs could actually become that game studio.  We would be incredibly, utterly selfish to stand in the way of that.

Disney does own at least one game studio, Wideload Games in chicago.  They acquired Wideload games 3 years ago(2009). Doing a search of video game companies Disney owns doesn't bring up wideload oddly enough, but the wiki page of their assets lists Avalanche software (acquired 2005), Junction point studios (acquired 2007), and Gamestar and Rocket Pack (wiki shows no more info on those two.  They also own a mobile game company called Tapulous (acquired 2010).

So, they have a few game studios, but they've also been acquiring a bunch of them lately and might be interested in another.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 07:10:36 PM »
Disney also did a superhero movie awhile back called Sky High. So the interest in superheroes is definitely there. And they are clearly gearing up for something. You don't just go about buying Lucasfilm and Marvel because you don't own them yet. What it is they are planning for, and what role CoH and other acquired properties might play, is something only they know.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
Disney also did a superhero movie awhile back called Sky High. So the interest in superheroes is definitely there. And they are clearly gearing up for something. You don't just go about buying Lucasfilm and Marvel because you don't own them yet. What it is they are planning for, and what role CoH and other acquired properties might play, is something only they know.
Dagfirnit, the mention of acquiring all these properties as "gearing up for something" made me picture a Mega-Zord-style giant robot combination with each of these entities as one of the "Zords." >_<

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:25:52 AM »
Dagfirnit, the mention of acquiring all these properties as "gearing up for something" made me picture a Mega-Zord-style giant robot combination with each of these entities as one of the "Zords." >_<

I think we'd all be happy to see CoH as the right fist.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 02:46:13 AM »
And think of this angle for a moment, most gaming companies are looking at Blizzard's success and thinking 'I'd like to have that but I never will.' They then give up even trying.

What is the one company that can look at Blizzard and think.. "You're pretty good old son, but sit down in that chair right there and let me show you how it's done."

Yup. Disney.

What have we got to lose by trying this? Absoultely nothing that we aren't already losing. Call everyone you know that has ever played the game, call your freinds, your families, accost random strangers on the street and threaten to tell them all about your bad PUG unless they write a letter. We need all the help we can get.

ps. thanks CD, that was too good a line to pass up.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 06:59:10 AM »
If any of you are members of any other fangroup that brought its focus back from the brink (or from death) please, please go to them and beg for them to help.  They just might see a reflection of themselves in us.  Browncoats.  Trekkies.  Galacticans.  Please.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Sonarr

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »
If Di$ney buys CoH, I'm out.  I WILL go in and delete every character I have on every server, and end my account.

Quinch

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 05:28:14 PM »
Whyso?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 01:33:30 AM »
If Di$ney buys CoH, I'm out.  I WILL go in and delete every character I have on every server, and end my account.

That's certainly your privilege.  I hope you find another game you can enjoy.

Sonarr

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 01:53:13 AM »
I hate monopolies.  While Di$ney is not a a monopoly in the traditional sense, owning and controlling 100% of the means of production and distribution of a single, vital industry, they have their fingers in a LOT of different aspects of the entertainment and information industries.  They hold entirely too much influence over individuals, businesses, and government, in a way that no corporation should have no right to do, because of it.

I know that City of Heroes is small enough potatoes compared to any one of the multiple television networks that they own, and my $15/month would not amount to much in comparison.  But I have no desire to give them *any* of my money.

The idea of CoH becoming yet another Di$ney property is repulsive to me.

Quinch

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 02:29:28 AM »
Fair enough, I suppose. I have some issues with some of Disney's business practices myself, but they consistently put out quality products, at least media-wise, so it's enough of a weird kind of balance for me not to see dealing with Disney as a "deal with the devil" kind of thing.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 03:47:28 AM »
And, in one of the rare Microsoft things that IS smart, the Mouse always allows a competitor or two to avoid accusations of monopoly.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 06:36:31 AM »
Thank you, Rae.

I wish I could read it (I do understand why I cannot though).  Well done.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 06:58:33 AM »
Disney also did a superhero movie awhile back called Sky High. So the interest in superheroes is definitely there. And they are clearly gearing up for something.

I think it's called a monopoly.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »
Monopolies are maligned because they enable certain bad business practices, centered around having no competition and thus being able to set the price as high as they think they can force people to play.

When the means of entry are inexpensive enough, and the laws against using violence to prevent entry are properly enforced, a "monopoly" really just means "the biggest guy out there, because he consistently delivers the best product for the lowest price."

Because of the internet, entry into the entertainment industry is pretty cheap. Consider things like Channel Awesome (home of the Nostalgia Critic), Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and all the myriad free entertainment produced by amateurs on YouTube. Then recall that there ARE competitors in all fields Disney participates in; they're just one of the biggest.

Disney, like CostCo and Wal*Mart, may seem "monopolistic" in that they often drive competitors out of business due to having a better product at a lower price, but the real measure is in whether they then hike prices and lower quality because "why not?"

They don't, because doing so would open the door for those competitors to come back in. The "evil" of the monopoly isn't in the putting of competitors out of business, but in the abuse of their position to force people to do business with them no matter how overpriced and poor quality their products are. The former is just competition working as designed.

And, in the entertainment industry, where purchases are totally optional (as nobody needs to play CoH to survive, much as they'd be sad to lose the quality product they love), failing to produce good enough products at low enough prices is going to put even the monopoly out of business. After all, they still have to compete with other optional purchases that are not their kind of entertainment product. Like hobbies.

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 04:09:34 PM »
As Victoria said, it is, indeed, your decision.  You can take your marbles and go home if you so desire.  I, on the other hand, look at it this way.... COH is closing.  Today.  If Disney can bring it back.....I will be there.  Not because I am fond of Disney,. but because I love COH.  If, after acquiring the game, Disney makes some horrendous changes, then I will rethink my position.  But I would give things a good chance before I wrote it of
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 04:25:48 PM »
I think we'd all be happy to see CoH as the right fist.
If that fist gets thoroughly applied to a Yongary-expy wearing a red bandana, I will die a happy man.

PrinceRecluse

• Underling
  • PrinceRecluse@gmail.com
    • Remembering Paragon
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 07:13:05 PM »
Monopolies are maligned because they enable certain bad business practices, centered around having no competition and thus being able to set the price as high as they think they can force people to play.

When the means of entry are inexpensive enough, and the laws against using violence to prevent entry are properly enforced, a "monopoly" really just means "the biggest guy out there, because he consistently delivers the best product for the lowest price."

Because of the internet, entry into the entertainment industry is pretty cheap. Consider things like Channel Awesome (home of the Nostalgia Critic), Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and all the myriad free entertainment produced by amateurs on YouTube. Then recall that there ARE competitors in all fields Disney participates in; they're just one of the biggest.

Disney, like CostCo and Wal*Mart, may seem "monopolistic" in that they often drive competitors out of business due to having a better product at a lower price, but the real measure is in whether they then hike prices and lower quality because "why not?"

They don't, because doing so would open the door for those competitors to come back in. The "evil" of the monopoly isn't in the putting of competitors out of business, but in the abuse of their position to force people to do business with them no matter how overpriced and poor quality their products are. The former is just competition working as designed.

And, in the entertainment industry, where purchases are totally optional (as nobody needs to play CoH to survive, much as they'd be sad to lose the quality product they love), failing to produce good enough products at low enough prices is going to put even the monopoly out of business. After all, they still have to compete with other optional purchases that are not their kind of entertainment product. Like hobbies.

I think this is well stated, and I agree. Just because some monopolies are bad and abuse their power, does not mean that ANY monopoly is by default bad and abusive. But that is neither here nor there.

I am not the biggest fan of Disney as a company. But then again I don't run companies so I don't have the appropriate knowledge base to determine their social value. I can say this though: Disney is an American staple, and a large reason why I am who I am today, and I am sure same goes for many of you, like it or not. Before my mind became infected with the knowledge of corruption of human nature and greed, as a kid my imagination was continuously fueled by the magic of Disney. Without Disney, the last 30 years would have been VERY different and probably very boring. I remember where I was the first time I saw Aladdin in theaters as a kid, just as I remember where I was when I saw Wreck-It Ralph as a 30 year old. You may not agree with their corporate practices, but you have to agree that their ability to create decent entertainment has made the world a little more entertaining for many years.

CoH is dying.
I want you to think back on your childhood, before you cared about corporate commerce. Think back to Mary Poppins, Aladdin, 101 Dalmatians, The Rescuers Down Under, American Tail, Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Newsies, Bambi, Pinocchio, Goofy Movie, remember Mickey and the Gang, remember how you felt the moment Wall-E woke up, remember...
CoH is dying.
Would you rather sit there and watch it die, than at least give Disney the chance to give it CPR? They may not want to, it might not work, or CoH could come back horribly changed. But after the last 8 years of life it has so graciously given to all of us, would you really sit there and not at least let Disney try to revive it? I feel we owe Paragon at least that much. 80+ people lost their jobs, 1000s lost their sanctuaries from the everyday grind of real life. If Disney is even remotely interested in breathing life back in the lips, I will gladly pump the chest. I owe Paragon that much, and for the last 30 years of entertainment, I owe Disney that much as well.

This isn't about money anymore. Until you can show me ONE, just ONE, game that is even CLOSE to the experiences we all had in Paragon, our options are extremely limited and we have to act on each one we come across.

Hell, I swore I would never join Twitter but I broke that simply so I could continue to follow and support the P. Studio devs after the sunset.

It is the least I can do. Also, I have been doing some Demo Record videos of fly-throughs of zones and other goodies, to share and play once the servers are down. (Anyone wants them, hit me up: PrinceRecluse@gmail.com)

For all that Paragon (City and Studios), Cryptic, and yes even NCsoft, have done to help us become the Heroes and Villains we have enjoyed being, I think the least we can do is try to save it. CoH is dying. What's the worse that can happen if we fail? It dies? That was gonna happen anyway.

(sorry for the rant, it's a slow day at work ;) )